Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Using Trail Cams to Monitor Garden Critters Toplef10Using Trail Cams to Monitor Garden Critters 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Using Trail Cams to Monitor Garden Critters I22gcj10Using Trail Cams to Monitor Garden Critters 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Using Trail Cams to Monitor Garden Critters Toplef10Using Trail Cams to Monitor Garden Critters 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Using Trail Cams to Monitor Garden Critters I22gcj10Using Trail Cams to Monitor Garden Critters 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Using Trail Cams to Monitor Garden Critters

4 posters

Go down

Using Trail Cams to Monitor Garden Critters Empty Re: Using Trail Cams to Monitor Garden Critters

Post  OhioGardener 10/28/2022, 10:57 am

You might need to invest in a Spypoint trail cam to record the critter so you know what you're dealing with.  Last night I recorded a opossum devouring pears that had fallen off the tree. Going to have to pick up those pears in the evening from now on, so they aren't there for that possum!

Earlier this summer, something was eating my lettuce and spinach, so I moved a camera to that area, and it caught the critters doing it.

Using Trail Cams to Monitor Garden Critters Spypoi10

Using Trail Cams to Monitor Garden Critters Spypoi11

Using Trail Cams to Monitor Garden Critters Spypoi12

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4460

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Using Trail Cams to Monitor Garden Critters Empty Re: Using Trail Cams to Monitor Garden Critters

Post  sanderson 10/28/2022, 1:29 pm

OG, Shocked Oh, my goodness. The photos are great. It looks like that is the solution for mystery critters.

I looked up the company and the price is reasonable for what it does. Do you turn it on at sundown or is it automatic? What model do you have? Do you have 2 or more? Does it only record when there is movement?

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 10/28/2022, 1:52 pm

sanderson wrote:OG,  Shocked Oh, my goodness.  The photos are great.  It looks like that is the solution for mystery critters.

I looked up the company and the price is reasonable for what it does.  Do you turn it on at sundown or is it automatic?  What model do you have?  Do you have 2 or more?  Does it only record when there is movement?

I have two of the Spypoint Link-Micro-LTE-V cameras which I bought several years ago when Gander Mountain (now out of business) had them on sale. They have motion detection with settings for single photo or multiple shots, and they have a cell phone built-in which sends notification and photo to my phone any time there is motion detected (have to choose either AT&T or Verizon cell service when ordering). Each phone allows for 100 photos per month free, and a subscription plan if a user wants more (I've never had a need for more than the 100 provided).  It has user settings for the times it is active, or it can be set to be on 24 hours a day. I periodically change the settings to always record from dark until dawn - presently that is set from 7:00 pm until 7:00 am.

In the latest sale flyer I received, Cabela's has them on sale, and has a $20 rebate which goes through mid-November..
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/spypoint-link-micro-lte-cellular-trail-camera

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Using Trail Cams to Monitor Garden Critters Empty Photogenic deer and phone service

Post  markqz 10/28/2022, 5:50 pm

Once you had the photos, what could you do about it?

How many years will that device continue to send you 100 photos per month? If I had phone that I paid $80 for and got 100 minutes a month free, I'd buy it! I'm sure a call takes up less bandwidth than a photo.

In my garden, I wouldn't want to put chicken wire around the whole thing. But I'm wondering if I could put up a tiny little 8" electric fence. Hey, if it worked in Jurassic Park, it must be ok?

Last edited by markqz on 10/28/2022, 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Phrasing)
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Using Trail Cams to Monitor Garden Critters Empty Using Trail Cams to Monitor Garden Critters

Post  OhioGardener 10/28/2022, 7:01 pm

markqz wrote:Once you had the photos, what could you do about it?

In the case of the deer, they had to jump over a chain link fence to get into my garden area. So, I put a string of electric fence about 10" on the top of the original fence. The camera showed that they approached the fence one time, but they never tried to jump over it.

In the case of the possum, they simply crawl under the fence, or climb over it.  That little critter walked into a open Havahart trap, and is no longer in the neighborhood.

How many years will that device continue to send you 100 photos per month? If I had phone that I paid $80 for and got 100 minutes a month free, I'd buy it! I'm sure a call takes up less bandwidth than a photo.

Theoretically, as long a Spypoint is in business, they will continue to support the trail cams which are heavily used by hunters to observe where the game is.  For $5/month you can get 250 photos, or for $10/month you can get 1,000 photos.  I've had the cameras for about 5 years, and had to upgrade the firmware once because of changes to the cell service. There have been only 2 or 3 months when I reached the 100 photo count on one of the cameras, and had to wait for the 30 days to expire.

I'm considering upgrading to a couple of the new Flex cameras, though. They have increased the sensitivity, and have added video previews before deciding to download the full video.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 10/28/2022, 8:45 pm

OhioGardener wrote:Theoretically, as long a Spypoint is in business, they will continue to support the trail cams which are heavily used by hunters to observe where the game is.
If the shots happen in day time, are they in color, or always B/W ?
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 10/28/2022, 9:02 pm

markqz wrote:
OhioGardener wrote:Theoretically, as long a Spypoint is in business, they will continue to support the trail cams which are heavily used by hunters to observe where the game is.
If the shots happen in day time, are they in color, or always B/W ?

Yes, they are in color during daylight, but B&W at night. I turn it off during the day because it records me, birds, etc., which I don't need.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 11/1/2022, 2:40 pm

Early this morning one of the trail cams caught an opossum checking out the garden. Fortunately, there is nothing there for it to eat or destroy this time of year, but was surprised to find another one visiting.
Using Trail Cams to Monitor Garden Critters Possum10

Using Trail Cams to Monitor Garden Critters Possum11

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 11/12/2022, 8:52 am

Heres a link to the ones I use. On Amazon for about $50.00.
https://www.amazon.com/Wildgame-Innovations-Extreme-Megapixel-Camera/dp/B084WV73Q3

I've been using them for about 4 years. They take pics or videos in color in the daylight and black and white at night. I thought Squirrels were digging in my garden but the cameras showed it was Skunks digging for grub worms. Within the last few weeks, I have caught and released two Skunks from my have-a-Heart trap. There's no way to dispatch a trapped Skunk without it spraying and I'm not taking a chance of it spraying my truck.

I have pics of Cats, Squirrels, Skunks. Possums, Raccoons, and Ground hogs in my garden.
MrBooker
MrBooker

Male Posts : 734

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 11/12/2022, 9:00 am

MrBooker wrote: Within the last few weeks, I have caught and released two Skunks from my have-a-Heart trap. There's no way to dispatch a trapped Skunk without it spraying and I'm not taking a chance of it spraying my truck.

How did you successfully release the skunks without getting sprayed? So far, I haven't had them, but have trapped a number of possums and raccoons, which are easy to deal with.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 11/12/2022, 9:31 am

OhioGardener wrote:
MrBooker wrote: Within the last few weeks, I have caught and released two Skunks from my have-a-Heart trap. There's no way to dispatch a trapped Skunk without it spraying and I'm not taking a chance of it spraying my truck.

How did you successfully release the skunks without getting sprayed? So far, I haven't had them, but have trapped a number of possums and raccoons, which are easy to deal with.
I saw a video on You tube and it has worked successfully 3 times so far. With the skunk in the trap, take a something like large dark colored beach towel or a blanket and hold it up in front of you so the Skunk can't see you and walk slowly toward the trap while talking to yourself in a calm voice. This keeps the critter calm. If the Skunk can't see you, he won't spray.

Just lay the towel over the trap making sure to cover the entire trap. I just let the Skunk calm down for about a half hour. Go back, still talking to yourself in a calm voice and lift the blanket up at the end where the door is and open the door and......
RUN LIKE HELL.   There are some good videos on You Tube on "How to release a Skunk without getting sprayed.  Good luck.
MrBooker
MrBooker

Male Posts : 734

sanderson and Soose like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down