Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Rookie Mistakes - Please Share Yours Toplef10Rookie Mistakes - Please Share Yours 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Rookie Mistakes - Please Share Yours I22gcj10Rookie Mistakes - Please Share Yours 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Rookie Mistakes - Please Share Yours Toplef10Rookie Mistakes - Please Share Yours 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Rookie Mistakes - Please Share Yours I22gcj10Rookie Mistakes - Please Share Yours 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Rookie Mistakes - Please Share Yours

+4
biobarnes
Soose
sanderson
Hip2B
8 posters

Go down

Rookie Mistakes - Please Share Yours Empty Rookie Mistakes - Please Share Yours

Post  Hip2B 5/1/2022, 3:54 am

I probably should have read the book before planting, but realise that I have planted loose leaf lettuce mix in two adjacent squares. Mel said to plant in a patchwork. Rookie mistake. 
I think I have overwatered my lettuce and sage seeds as none have germinated - another rookie mistake.
I am sure that they will be the first of many.
Please share your rookie boo boos.,,
Hip2B
Hip2B

Female Posts : 55
Location : Burnie, Tasmania, Australia (Cool Climate / Zone 9)

Soose likes this post

Back to top Go down

Rookie Mistakes - Please Share Yours Empty Re: Rookie Mistakes - Please Share Yours

Post  sanderson 5/2/2022, 1:28 am

Just to put your mind at ease, many, many of use adjacent squares for one crop, such as your lettuce.  I have a bed or tomatoes, a bed of peppers, a bed of beans, etc.

My first 3 big mistakes were:
a)  Using Kellogg's Soil Amendment instead of blended composts.
b)  Using perlite instead of coarse vermiculite just to save $10.
c)  Planting winter squash in the fall because I thought they grew during the winter.

All 3 happened the first year.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Hip2B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Rookie Mistakes - Please Share Yours Empty Re: Rookie Mistakes - Please Share Yours

Post  Soose 5/2/2022, 3:54 am

I'm making some of the same mistakes, Hip2B. 

One boo boo I hope won't be too fatal is that in the first raised bed, I skimped on the fabric liner, and at opposite edges, it's slipping down a bit towards the water reservoir area below, under the weight of the MM.  Also the "platform" that holds the MM above the water reservoir is not as fine mesh as the plan I'm using, though I did not realize it at the time, and that has weakened the edges.  I fear dips in the fabric liner.  It's not a disaster -- yet.  I hope the plants will stabilize it.   I am hoping to get through this season without deconstructing that bed.

Another booboo was that I had to ask friends to pick up plants for me this first season.  I did not keep track.  Just whatever they were getting for themselves.  I have too many tomatoes.  At least I have some plants!   Seedlings have been hard to come by the past 2 years here, and I knew my success finding them would be iffy.  Huge demand, and costs too high.  So when friends were shopping in smaller towns they picked up seedlings at 3 for $2 rather than the 1 for $5 the big stores here are offering.

Also I now have some veggies that I do not have info on, just a general label.  I am guessing on some of the tomatoes for instance, vine or bush?   It can't be helped.  I hope to start my own going forward.  

Oh.  And my original Rookie Mistake.  I tried to start Square Ft Gardening when the original book came out.  But I did not make the MM.  I don't know why.  I used the soil around my new house, and screened it well.  I probably got the peat moss in it.   Nothing grew, or what did grow had terrible problems like tomatoes with blossom rot, or terribly stunted carrots.  There's no telling what that cheap builder filled around the foundation of my house.  I got discouraged and did not continue.  No forums at the time.  So I missed many years of learning to garden.  Quitting was a major mistake.
Soose
Soose

Back to top Go down

Post  Hip2B 5/2/2022, 7:51 am

Thanks for sharing Soose. Sounds like beggars can't be choosers for you at the moment when it comes to plant selection. I had a look at your thread a while back but I'm keen to revisit it in more detail. Shame about your initial SFG efforts. I'm glad you came back to it though. Talk to you soon - almost bed time here.
Hip2B
Hip2B

Soose likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  biobarnes 5/22/2022, 12:52 pm

I'm sure we're making a TON of mistakes! Will have to post more as we go through as this is our first year trying this.

The first one we can see - we have to have cages around the beds. We have too many critters that will most likely help themselves to the beds and ruin the plants. We have stakes on both sides (N and S) of one of the beds. We need to hinge the cage so I can get it off by myself (it's tall - 5 feet - and there is rebar in the base PVC pipe...husband figures the raccoons will try to chew through the PVC and we know rebar will stop them!). We can't hinge where we thought we could. So, we'll have to cut the stakes down a bit (they are for smaller peppers - jalepeno and habernero - hoping they only max out at 2 feet) and then see if we can hinge on the N side of the box. That is also where we need a trellis.

If someone has a good idea of how to get a trellis INSIDE a cage, we'd love to see that! He's going to work on the trellis this week (supposed to rain all week - so he can't work when it's raining...sigh...kills his jobs this week!) and figure out how to attach it to the inside of the box.

Personally, I think I'm crazy - pretty sure my husband thinks that as well! But, when I see a good idea, I jump in like a cannonball into a swimming pool! I figure we will learn a lot as we go Smile
biobarnes
biobarnes

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Hip2B 5/24/2022, 8:28 am

Sound like you have your work cut out for you BioBarns. Critters are a problem here too, but hopefully tbey aren't as determined as yours. Good luck sorting out your under cage trellis.
Hip2B
Hip2B

Back to top Go down

Post  Soose 5/24/2022, 12:30 pm

biobarnes wrote:If someone has a good idea of how to get a trellis INSIDE a cage, we'd love to see that!

I have seen a cattle panel section installed horizontally across midway inside the box/cage.  (In that case the outside of the cage was also made with cattle panel.)

Several people here have recommended this brand trellis netting, can you rig something with that, independent of your removable cage? 
Viagrow 5x15ft: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Viagrow-5-ft-x-15-ft-Garden-Trellis-Netting-VTN5X15/203124376  $9.87 US at Home Depot
Soose
Soose

Back to top Go down

Post  Soose 5/24/2022, 12:54 pm

We had the same dilemma, btw.  The first season I had "earth boxes" for greens on my porch, they did great... 
that next Fall/Winter, I installed a frame with green house cover, zippable on a steel frame (bought it).  One long frame covers
four of my boxes in a row.  I have 3 sets.  Thought we were fixed. 

The next Spring season, the squirrels ate all immediately.  And it took me another season of not growing to get the frames
from the greenhouse covers  covered themselves in a chicken wire cage with a door so we can access the plants. 

( It's sorta jury-rigged but it works,  the boxes are up on a "table" and the cage "door" and ground surface
are table height, comfy. Not too onerous to lift one  large side's flap to access four boxes.  The boxes are only 24" deep so
access is not a problem thru the "door." And I don't need trellises - we grow greens, short stuff in those boxes.)

Fast forward: 
As we were planning this SFG with raised beds, worried about squirrels, I contemplated making a cage for each 3x4 raised bed. 
Actually, the totes I  am using come with a cage.  It's just that I couldn't  make two beds per cage...    double the cost if I use
a cage.

I found someone who left the outer frames/cages that come with the IBC totes intact, and just covered those with hardware cloth,
cutting an access door into the cage. He did a neat job. 

Let me find it... https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-dPZbQ9FtasPfCuTtkjc_F3StUNoNTsK
Rookie Mistakes - Please Share Yours Ibc_to11

Doesn't help you much since he started with IBC totes that already have a cage where you have just the four corner posts.

And I contemplated access.  (Didn't think of the trellis problem inside a cage yet. Or limiting the height of a trellis to 4 ft.) 
These totes are over 3ft x 4ft, and 4ft high.  We'd need TWO doors.  Plus I could only make one raised bed out of one tote, doubling my tote costs.
(He uses the upper half of the bottles that he cuts off as a greenhouse cover in winter.  We turn it upside down and make another bed.

I thought of covering each bed...  sigh.

Instead of making a cage for each bed, bothering with the doors, limiting the trellis, etc., we decided to just try to enclose the whole garden area
with all the totes. That'll keep the critters of all types out.
Soose
Soose

sanderson and Hip2B like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/24/2022, 8:13 pm

So, I totally screwed up my MM, used too much peat and not enough types of compost…that plagued me for a while, maybe 2 seasons?

Second (and still going on, I’m sorry to say) I do not label well my starts….so all the melons/cukes/squashes look very similar.  This is just the tip of the iceberg, and I need need need to do better!  

Third, not growing things I love to eat.  Don’t grow things you don’t like!  They will not get eaten!  It’s good to experiment, because homegrown things taste better?  But Kale?  I don’t like it.  Grew it for 3 years.  It grew like a weed….never did like it.  I do love cabbage though, so I grow that and love it and eat it!

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 5/24/2022, 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Soose and Hip2B like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Hip2B 5/26/2022, 12:29 am

Thanks Scorpio Rising. Did you ditch the original Mel's Mix, or just work on improving it over the years?
 I am trying to only grow what we like too. Good advice!
Hip2B
Hip2B

Scorpio Rising likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/26/2022, 4:05 am

Biobarnes, Trellises set inside the box.  The 1/2" PVC frames with nylon trellis netting slip into 1" PVC "cup holders" secured inside the box with plumbers tape and 3/4" screws.
 Rookie Mistakes - Please Share Yours Trelli36

Close up of a cup holder in a corner. Rookie Mistakes - Please Share Yours Table_81

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

biobarnes likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikesgardn 5/26/2022, 7:52 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:So, I totally screwed up my MM, used too much peat and not enough types of compost…that plagued me for a while, maybe 2 seasons?

I did the same thing.  I forgot to fluff up the peat moss before measuring.
Mikesgardn
Mikesgardn

Male Posts : 286

Hip2B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Rookie Mistakes - Please Share Yours Empty thanks a million!

Post  biobarnes 6/2/2022, 9:45 am

sanderson wrote:Biobarnes, Trellises set inside the box.  The 1/2" PVC frames with nylon trellis netting slip into 1" PVC "cup holders" secured inside the box with plumbers tape and 3/4" screws.
 Rookie Mistakes - Please Share Yours Trelli36

Close up of a cup holder in a corner. Rookie Mistakes - Please Share Yours Table_81

This is BRILLIANT!!! Not sure how we will get the holders in now (as we have the mix in the boxes...sigh...another rookie mistake!) But, we have a third box not yet assembled where we could try this out!
And sorry in advance - I hit some type of voting button looking for the reply (new to the forums and the controls) so I don't know how to fix that!!!!

I'll share these pics with my husband when he gets home. He didn't have time to get the trellis parts going last week, so probably this weekend. We still don't have much that actually needs a trellis yet. We're doing things from seed to see what works, and nothing is tall enough yet (save one determinate tomato plant that we bought - and it's doing fine staked so far - it shouldn't really be a climber) that it needs a trellis, so we have some time. Definitely love this idea! Thanks for much for your response!!!!
biobarnes
biobarnes

sanderson, Soose and Hip2B like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/4/2022, 11:44 pm

Biobarnes, Thank you for letting me know that you accidentally gave me a thumbs down. I was notified of a complaint and wondered where it was located. Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/11/2022, 7:04 pm

Hip2B wrote:Thanks Scorpio Rising. Did you ditch the original Mel's Mix, or just work on improving it over the years?
 I am trying to only grow what we like too. Good advice!
You know?  I amended this original MM.  It is so expensive to get going....I did salvage the attempt.  

It really has been a hunt and peck thing--I usually amend my older gardens with vermiculite and peat, and of course compost.  As far as the compost, I do compost my own kitchen stuff.  But I had a bad experience with hay (donated).  GRASS!!!!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

sanderson, Soose and Hip2B like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Hip2B 6/11/2022, 7:31 pm

Argh!
Hip2B
Hip2B

Scorpio Rising likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 8/15/2022, 6:34 pm

I'm not exactly a rookie, but like most people I still make mistakes. About a month ago I started some new Cucumber seeds indoors to plant out on the arbor for the fall cucumbers to replace the earlier ones that were about done producing.  The seedlings grew well indoors, and were planted out in the raised bed on the arbor ready to grow. But, they didn't vine up the arbor, they just stayed as compact little plants. Then I noticed that the bottom of the plants near the soil was full of blooms, with some small cucumbers.  I went in and checked the package of seeds, and discovered that I had planted Bush Cucumbers, which I don't remember ever buying seeds for.  I wanted vine plants to grow up the arbor, not bushes. But, we are getting 3 or 4 nice cucumbers every day off of the two plants.  Lesson learned: Look at the package before planting seeds, carefully!

Bush Cucumbers on this side of the arbor, with Blue Lake Pole Beans starting up the arbor on the other side.
Rookie Mistakes - Please Share Yours Cukes_11

Rookie Mistakes - Please Share Yours Cukes_10

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4470

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/16/2022, 12:16 am

I did the same thing with bush Blue Lake Beans. Not that they didn't produce, but it was a waste of tall trellises. I had other beds that would been a better use of resources.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sunflowersarefun 8/16/2022, 11:00 am

Last year I wanted to try the three sisters method of growing corn, squash,and pole beans in the same plot. The Indians apparently used this method but neglected to tell me the seeds are not planted at the same time  Rookie Mistakes - Please Share Yours 1f62c  By the time the corn sprouted the beans were almost a foot high with nothing to attach too. The comedy continued as the corn grew the beans latched on as did the squash and by June the corn was bent over from all the weight. Needless to say there was no corn harvested last year Sad   This year I waited for the corn to sprout and get 6-8 inches tall before planting the squash. Beans are just starting to bloom and corn is finished. Timing is everything
sunflowersarefun
sunflowersarefun

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down