Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Tea Time -- Compost Tea, that is - Page 2 Toplef10Tea Time -- Compost Tea, that is - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Tea Time -- Compost Tea, that is - Page 2 I22gcj10Tea Time -- Compost Tea, that is - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Tea Time -- Compost Tea, that is - Page 2 Toplef10Tea Time -- Compost Tea, that is - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Tea Time -- Compost Tea, that is - Page 2 I22gcj10Tea Time -- Compost Tea, that is - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by markqz Today at 9:57 am

» Think Spring 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 9:08 am

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Tea Time -- Compost Tea, that is

+3
has55
sanderson
OhioGardener
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Tea Time -- Compost Tea, that is - Page 2 Empty Re: Tea Time -- Compost Tea, that is

Post  OhioGardener 2/12/2022, 7:41 pm

Hawgwild wrote:I've started a new batch of worm castings tea but not sure how effective it may be with our current temperature range in northwest Louisiana...Low to upper 30's night time  and near 70's days.

I added 3 cups worm castings and 3 tablespoons molasses in a 5 gallon bucket outside.

Just checked water temp in the bucket and was 56 degrees. Will probably drop more tonight.

Do you believe the microbes with grow with these current temps? I will move the bucket out in the sun as the day warms..

Probably not much microbial activity - microbes need temps between 60ºF and 75ºF to become active. Are you aerating the compost tea? If not, the water will become anaerobic, and the good microbes cannot survive.  Is your soil temp above 60ºF? If not, applying microbe-rich tea will not benefit the soil.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4461

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Tea Time -- Compost Tea, that is - Page 2 Empty Re: Tea Time -- Compost Tea, that is

Post  Hawgwild 2/12/2022, 8:37 pm

OhioGardener wrote:
Probably not much microbial activity - microbes need temps between 60ºF and 75ºF to become active. Are you aerating the compost tea? If not, the water will become anaerobic, and the good microbes cannot survive.  Is your soil temp above 60ºF? If not, applying microbe-rich tea will not benefit the soil.
Yep...I will aerate the mix soon as I find my aquarium pump. I'm really probably pushing my activity with the casting tea till it does get a little warmer...end of February should be more favorable with temps more moderate. Last average frost day for our area in March 21. Just excited about the things I'm learning about sfg and other things on the forum and wanting to really get started right with my sfg ventures...

Will check soil temps in the morning and thanks for the info..

Scottie

BTW...just finished my second SFG and will post pics in my regional forum area soon and it quits raining.
Hawgwild
Hawgwild

Male Posts : 101

Back to top Go down

Tea Time -- Compost Tea, that is - Page 2 Empty More on compost tea...

Post  Hawgwild 2/26/2022, 4:38 pm

Just finished reading a book by Tim Wilson titled: "Compost Tea Making". Was a very interesting book and good read.

Starts off with vermicomposting and instructions on making a 3 layer worm bin from wood.

He then talked about the teas and gave some recipes for compost teas. I was mainly interested in the one for bacterial compost tea using either worm castings or regular compost. Pretty much how we have been doing it but also added a couple of tablespoons of soluble cold water kelp and a teaspoon of fish hydrolysate. When the brew was finished one could add optional EM-1 and mycorrhizal.

Optimal temp for making the tea was 72-75 degrees. Slow microbial activity with water temps lest than 68 degrees. Even gave processing times for the different temps.

I got the book on my tablet through kindle unlimited. Not sure if Amazon carries the book or not in paperback.

There is a bunch of info on his website: Compost Tea Making

Enjoyed the book,
Scottie
Hawgwild
Hawgwild

Male Posts : 101

goodtogrow likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  goodtogrow 5/1/2022, 6:50 pm

I think I will try making some compost / worm casting tea this year and use it in our SFG.  This thread has been a great help - thanks guys!

Especially good to know that the tea and the soil need to both be above 60°F.  And that optimal temperatures for making the tea was 72-75°F.  Slow microbial activity with water temps less than 68°F.
goodtogrow
goodtogrow

Male Posts : 94

Back to top Go down

Post  goodtogrow 5/1/2022, 7:13 pm

One question, though, after reading this document:
https://extension.arizona.edu/sites/extension.arizona.edu/files/pubs/az1739-2017.pdf
they spend an awful lot of time in it talking about potential "health concerns" of compost tea.  Is this really reasonable?  It sounds like it's only a potential issue if you don't heat up your compost enough, or if you use unknown sources of composted manure, etc...  But, in general, is this something to be concerned about or are they just 'covering their butts', you think?
goodtogrow
goodtogrow

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 5/1/2022, 7:41 pm

goodtogrow wrote:One question, though, after reading this document:
https://extension.arizona.edu/sites/extension.arizona.edu/files/pubs/az1739-2017.pdf
they spend an awful lot of time in it talking about potential "health concerns" of compost tea.  Is this really reasonable?

No, it is not really reasonable. As Abe Lincoln said, don't believe everything you find on the Internet.

The only time there can or will be pathogens in the compost tea is if it is not adequately aerated.  If there is proper aeration, the compost tea will be aerobic, with no problems. If the compost tea is not aerated, it will become anaerobic and can contain pathogens. Pathogens need an anaerobic environment to survive.

Same is true of compost as it is for compost tea: If the compost is turned/aerated it will aerobic.  If it is allowed to become anaerobic, it can be detrimental to you and the environment.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  goodtogrow 5/1/2022, 7:47 pm

Okay, that's good to hear, and a relief.

As Abe Lincoln said, don't believe everything you find on the Internet.

Haha, I like that!  And very true. Glad I asked.  Wink
goodtogrow
goodtogrow

Back to top Go down

Post  Soose 5/2/2022, 3:07 am

OhioGardener wrote:
The only time there can or will be pathogens in the compost tea is if it is not adequately aerated.  If there is proper aeration, the compost tea will be aerobic, with no problems. If the compost tea is not aerated, it will become anaerobic and can contain pathogens. Pathogens need an anaerobic environment to survive.

OhioGardener,  understood, compost tea has to be aerated.  Please tell us about your compost tea setup. 

I bought a little submersible pump (don't remember details) thinking it would just need "aeration stones" and some tubing.  My better half says it's the wrong type. Back to the drawing board.
Soose
Soose

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 6/3/2023, 7:07 pm

This evening I started the first batch of Compost Tea for this season. Making 25 gallons, which will be enough for both foliar spray and soil drench on all 5 beds.  In 24 hours it will be ready to apply to the raised beds. Will do monthly applications until October.

Soose wrote:OhioGardener,  understood, compost tea has to be aerated.  Please tell us about your compost tea setup. 

I build my Compost Tea "Microbulator" using a 35 gallon brine tank free from a water softener dealer, and modeled it after this one:

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/9/2023, 4:23 pm

Soose wrote:. . .
OhioGardener,  understood, compost tea has to be aerated.  Please tell us about your compost tea setup. 

I bought a little submersible pump (don't remember details) thinking it would just need "aeration stones" and some tubing.  My better half says it's the wrong type. Back to the drawing board.
Soose, I bought a small aquarium aerator to make single 5-gallon buckets of compost tea. Here it is bubbling to de-chlorinate the water.

Tea Time -- Compost Tea, that is - Page 2 Compos87

Tea Time -- Compost Tea, that is - Page 2 Compos88

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2