Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What to put below Mel's mix in a tall raised garden bed? Toplef10What to put below Mel's mix in a tall raised garden bed? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What to put below Mel's mix in a tall raised garden bed? I22gcj10What to put below Mel's mix in a tall raised garden bed? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What to put below Mel's mix in a tall raised garden bed? Toplef10What to put below Mel's mix in a tall raised garden bed? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What to put below Mel's mix in a tall raised garden bed? I22gcj10What to put below Mel's mix in a tall raised garden bed? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What to put below Mel's mix in a tall raised garden bed?

4 posters

Go down

What to put below Mel's mix in a tall raised garden bed? Empty What to put below Mel's mix in a tall raised garden bed?

Post  deonb 2/15/2021, 6:20 pm

I am building a set of 30" tall raised garden beds (equivalent of 44' x 4' in space, which will require about 16 cubic yards of fill-in).

It would seem excessive (and expensive) to fill it all the way with Mel's mix. So I just want to put 12" of Mel's mix at the top, with some sort of a filler soil below it that will be good for draining.

What is the best filler to use below? So far I'm contemplating something like do the bottom 12" in sand, then 8" of a topsoil over that (loam soil + compost processed through a 1/2" screen). I don't want to do it all the way in sand though, because then I'm likely to have leftover sand which is a pain to get rid of. And don't want it all the way topsoil since it compresses like crazy, and doesn't drain as well after a few years.

However, preferably I don't want two different mixes, so maybe I just mix something together. Or alternatively mix in vermiculite.

What says the collective wisdom on this one?
deonb
deonb

Back to top Go down

What to put below Mel's mix in a tall raised garden bed? Empty Re: What to put below Mel's mix in a tall raised garden bed?

Post  OhioGardener 2/15/2021, 6:34 pm

Deonb, you definitely do not want the expense of 30" of Mel's Mix - the cost of that would be prohibitive, and it would be unnecessary. The top 6" to 8" of MM would be all you will need.

I have beds with the bottom filled with "topsoil" I purchased from a local Topsoil & Mulch company, and you are correct about it compacting. The topsoil I got had a lot of clay in it, and it has heavily compacted over the years. The top of the beds with Coir and Vermiculite added to mix remains loose and friable, but below that is very compacted and tends to hold water too long.

You will not want a high sand content fill as that would dry way too fast for good moisture retention. Since you are looking at 2' of fill before adding the 6" of MM, you might want to look at either the Hugelkultur method, or a topsoil mixed with loose organic material such as peat moss.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4517

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

What to put below Mel's mix in a tall raised garden bed? Empty Re: What to put below Mel's mix in a tall raised garden bed?

Post  deonb 2/15/2021, 9:47 pm

Thanks! Yeah I saw this a while ago, then forgot all about it when I discovered SFG. But it's a great idea to combine the two in this case.
deonb
deonb

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/17/2021, 2:22 am

Deon, Clean washed sand is recommended by the SFG Foundation because it does drain well. Hugalkulture, being organic, will eventually break down and the height within the bed will drop over the years.

I kind of like what OhioGardener mentioned about adding peat moss, but I would suggest adding it to sand or a sand/top soil mix. thinking

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

What to put below Mel's mix in a tall raised garden bed? Empty I filled my beds with steer manure

Post  crankyoldman 2/27/2021, 10:28 am

My raised beds are 24" deep so that I do not need to squat to tend them. I filled the bottoms slightly more that one foot with composted steer manure then topped with MM. As the steer settled I added more MM. Every second year I scoop out the MM, turn the bottom material then refill the beds.
crankyoldman
crankyoldman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down