Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Weed Killer Spray and my garden Toplef10Weed Killer Spray and my garden 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Weed Killer Spray and my garden I22gcj10Weed Killer Spray and my garden 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Weed Killer Spray and my garden Toplef10Weed Killer Spray and my garden 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Weed Killer Spray and my garden I22gcj10Weed Killer Spray and my garden 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Weed Killer Spray and my garden

4 posters

Go down

Weed Killer Spray and my garden Empty Weed Killer Spray and my garden

Post  deriter 10/8/2020, 12:44 pm

Last week, the commercial lawn sprayer came through to do the fall spraying for creeping charlie, and other weeds.  I am not a fan of chemicals, however I do use them from time to time but very causally.  I am gardening in the old traditional method of gardening in the dirt.  I may at some point go to gardening in boxes that are raised to waist height.  That will probably come later when I down size my garden.

The problem I bring to you for your opinions is this.  The guy came in and sprayed the neighbors lawn and went by my garden 4 feet away.  I had a bunch of peppers and tomatoes out there.  I know he did not directly spray them, but what about drift?  Would you wash them off and eat them?  Should I just tare the garden down and be done with it since its so close to killing frost?

I hear them say that once the spray is dry, it is safe.  What do you think?

I really appreciate your time to give me your opinions on this.
deriter
deriter

Male Posts : 107

Back to top Go down

Weed Killer Spray and my garden Empty Re: Weed Killer Spray and my garden

Post  OhioGardener 10/8/2020, 7:17 pm

If the spray did not kill the plants, the produce can be removed and completely washed to remove any spray drift that they caught, and they will be fine to eat. If the spray was sufficient to kill the plants, I would dispose of them.  I have never heard that the spray is fine for consumption after it is dry - the lawn companies advertise that their spray is fine to walk on after it is dry, but they don't say anything about consuming it.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4460

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Weed Killer Spray and my garden Empty Weed Killer Spray and my garden

Post  deriter 10/10/2020, 10:38 pm

Thank you OhioGardener for your reply.  I guess I am just struggling with the thought of week killer spray on my veggies.  It just don't sound right to me and in my opinion there was a lack of courtesy on his part to think he could do that.  When I have to judge if the plants were affected, how good is my judgement.

We won't eat the produce.  I will destroy what's left of the garden and be done with it.  I will discuss one more time with him and then if there is a next time I will have a test done on the produce to verify if there is contamination and go from there.

I am probably some kind of eccentric, but just never have trusted chemicals totally.  Really thought there were others out will similar experiences with a situation like this.
deriter
deriter

Male Posts : 107

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 10/11/2020, 1:38 pm

deriter wrote:Thank you OhioGardener for your reply.  I guess I am just struggling with the thought of week killer spray on my veggies.  It just don't sound right to me and in my opinion there was a lack of courtesy on his part to think he could do that.  When I have to judge if the plants were affected, how good is my judgement.

We won't eat the produce.  I will destroy what's left of the garden and be done with it.  I will discuss one more time with him and then if there is a next time I will have a test done on the produce to verify if there is contamination and go from there.

I am probably some kind of eccentric, but just never have trusted chemicals totally.  Really thought there were others out will similar experiences with a situation like this.

Personally, I wouldn't throw away an entire garden just because of a spray that is only biologically active on plants. Assuming the spray didn't also contain pesticide, glyphosate shouldn't be hazardous at those trace doses. Glyphosate is water soluble and should wash off the fruits themselves. Unless there was a strong wind, I wouldn't expect any to have gotten on your food. If any significant amount did get on your produce, you would notice the broad-leaf plants (lettuce, kale, etc.) wilting within a couple days. Of course, if you usually have seasons, then your plants are already wilting and it probably doesn't make too much difference.

I probably shouldn't say this, but because I have bermuda grass which can't be simply weeded away, I sometimes spray within 4 inches of garden plants. Of course, I'm using a very light dose, a directed spray, and never during a wind. It's hard to believe this plant was deliberately planted at one time.

My undestanding is that round-up like chemicals are used in no-till farming and also to hasten harvest times before rain season (especially in Northern states and Canada).  So unless you are buying only organic food it's likely your market produce and grains (and flours) have traces in it. 

Maintaining good relations with your neighbor might be more important than a hypothetical concern about a chemical that only kills plants.
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/12/2020, 3:25 am

markqz wrote:. . . trace doses. Glyphosate is water soluble and should wash off the fruits themselves. . .

I probably shouldn't say this, but because I have bermuda grass which can't be simply weeded away, I sometimes spray within 4 inches of garden plants. Of course, I'm using a very light dose, a directed spray, and never during a wind. It's hard to believe this plant was deliberately planted at one time.

My understanding is that round-up like chemicals are used in no-till farming and also to hasten harvest times before rain season (especially in Northern states and Canada).  So unless you are buying only organic food it's likely your market produce and grains (and flours) have traces in it. 

Maintaining good relations with your neighbor might be more important. . .
Maintaining good relations with your neighbor, maybe you two can work out that when he sprays, you can put up a plastic barrier to stop any drift.

I accidentally introduced common Bermuda into the back lawn.  I foresee Roundup in the very near future before it goes dormant.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

plantoid likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 10/12/2020, 2:38 pm

sanderson wrote:I accidentally introduced common Bermuda into the back lawn.  I foresee Roundup in the very near future before it goes dormant.

I would get to it sooner than later. Once it permeates the soil, the only way to get rid of it is to spray, wait for it to die, water, spray, wait for it to die, rinse, repeat. And of course, nothing else is going to be able to grow in that area while you do all this.

Incredibly, they are working on making a variety that is cold tolerant! Yeah, let's move that invasive species northwards!
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

plantoid likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 10/12/2020, 3:04 pm

markqz wrote:Incredibly, they are working on making a variety that is cold tolerant! Yeah, let's move that invasive species northwards!

They have already done that with Zoysia grass!  People plant that stuff thinking they will have a nice low maintenance lawn all summer long. Then come fall it turns completely brown like an old rug. But, regardless of whether it is green and growing, or it is brown and dormant, the roots are spreading into every neighbor's yard while it smothers all the native grasses and takes over flower beds.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

plantoid likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/21/2020, 4:08 pm

Okay, Experts, I need some advice with Roundup. I think I am going with the regular blue and white container, Weed and Grass Killer. reality check Do you know how soon I can reseed with Fescue seeds? study

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 10/21/2020, 5:27 pm

sanderson wrote:Okay, Experts, I need some advice with Roundup.  I think I am going with the regular blue and white container, Weed and Grass Killer. reality check   Do you know how soon I can reseed with Fescue seeds? study

Not an expert, but the Roundup site says you can plant within 3 days. Which makes sense. You want the round-up to have thoroughly dried before germination starts happening.

The general advice is to check your weather report and not spray if it's going to rain any time in the next day or so. Spray in the afternoon rather than in the morning or evening -- you want the spray to dry quickly. Remember that you want to wet the plants, not the soil. The higher the dose, the quicker you'll see results.
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 10/21/2020, 6:14 pm

sanderson wrote:Okay, Experts, I need some advice with Roundup.  I think I am going with the regular blue and white container, Weed and Grass Killer.    Do you know how soon I can reseed with Fescue seeds? 

Roundup says you can sow grass seed 3 days after applying all Roundup except for the "Roundup Weed & Grass Killer Sure Shot Foam", which requires 7 days.  Probably best to wait 5 to 7 days for all of their sprays, though.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/21/2020, 10:13 pm

Thank you, guys. Only 1 week would be great. I was thinking 3 -6 months. Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down