Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My New All-Encompassing Garden Spray Toplef10My New All-Encompassing Garden Spray 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My New All-Encompassing Garden Spray I22gcj10My New All-Encompassing Garden Spray 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My New All-Encompassing Garden Spray Toplef10My New All-Encompassing Garden Spray 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My New All-Encompassing Garden Spray I22gcj10My New All-Encompassing Garden Spray 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

My New All-Encompassing Garden Spray

+6
donnainzone5
boffer
CapeCoddess
Marc Iverson
jimmy cee
Razed Bed
10 posters

Go down

My New All-Encompassing Garden Spray Empty My New All-Encompassing Garden Spray

Post  Razed Bed 6/7/2015, 1:13 pm

After a very rainy period in which all our protective essential oil sprays were washed away, and the deer decided to enjoy a greens snack, this morning, I decided that I am too old, and it is too hot and sticky to spray more than one time.

I went about trying to come up with the one spray suits all spray of the ages.  After writing down all the essential oils that act as insect deterrents, mammal and bird deterrents, fungal and bacterial deterrents, and pollinator attractors, I came up with one wildcard spray.

I started with two raw eggs, water, and whole goat's milk (I am not a consumer of dairy, but I got some free yesterday at the end of the organic farmer's market & also got the dozen eggs for free at the market when some were partially cracked).

Next, I made garlic oil from three whole cloves of garlic sauteed in olive oil until the oil was saturated with the garlic.

I added neem oil and neem shampoo and the following essential oils covering the gamut of issues: rosemary, peppermint, thyme, clove, tea tree, citronella, oregano, cinnamon, pine, and black pepper.

This was all put together and mixed well and then filtered into a pressure sprayer.  After watering this morning with compost tea, I then saturated everything with the new spray.

My wife made a neroli oil and water spray in her little sprayer and followed behind me to spray it on as a bee attractor.

I don't know if it will work or even if it might be too much, since it was 93 degrees last hour.  with the humidity still very high, it is too uncomfortable to stay out more than 20-minutes at a time.

By the way, thanks to listening to a Dodgers game on the radio, I heard an ad for an organic essential oil company I have not heard of before.  Check out http://www.organicinfusionswholesale.com/
Razed Bed

Male Posts : 243

Back to top Go down

My New All-Encompassing Garden Spray Empty Re: My New All-Encompassing Garden Spray

Post  jimmy cee 6/7/2015, 2:23 pm

Very Happy
Please let me know when your going to use this spray, I want to hide in my basement, only 4 states away and I don't want to take chances.
Very Happy
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

My New All-Encompassing Garden Spray Empty Re: My New All-Encompassing Garden Spray

Post  Marc Iverson 6/7/2015, 2:30 pm

When I spray milk, I find it can clog up the sprayer nozzle and the tube leading up to it very easily with the fats milk leaves behind. I hope you're going to store the spray properly and thoroughly clean the works after using it.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Razed Bed 6/7/2015, 11:08 pm

Very funny Jimmy.  The wind was blowing from the southwest this morning, so I guess it could reach you in the Keystone State.

As for the milk, maybe the goat's milk is thinner, because there was no problem with the sprayer.  The filter could have trapped enough of the fat.

I always thoroughly wash out the sprayers every time I use them, and I do double the effort on my compost tea brewing equipment. 

Today, it was easy washing the utensils for an extra three minutes, as it allowed me to drench myself in the oppressive heat.  And, it is still two weeks until summer.  I think we had our first 100-degree heat index today.
Razed Bed

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 6/8/2015, 3:22 pm

I hear that pieces of Irish Spring keep deer away but never tried it.  I used a concoction once on my maple saplings after deer ate them.  Mine had cayenne, garlic & soap.  They never came back after sampling that....poor things.  Embarassed  I'll use soap in the future.

My raccoon is back and I think he brought his family.  They dug up my entire ground cherry bed among other places.  Last night I used the usual sprinkling of Dr. P all over the yard and there were no signs of them this morning.
What a Face
Wonder if that would work for deer...no cost.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Razed Bed 6/8/2015, 4:04 pm

We hung a case of Irish Spring soaps in our garden two years ago, and all we got were suds when it rained.  We saw squirrels climbing on the bars, and as you can see from some of the pictures I have posted, the deer acted as if they did not know the bars were there.

With my rotten luck, our 20% chance of rain became 100% this morning, and everything we sprayed yesterday has washed away.  Also, a few minutes of quarter-sized hail has done a number on the garden.  Another round of severe weather is about 12 minutes away according to the emergency radio.  The computer voice says I should move to the interior of the lowest floor in the building.

Coddess, for raccoons, try peppermint and citronella oils.  They are supposed to be the top repellent.  It seems to work in our garden, but not upstairs in the attic, where we soaked tennis balls and threw them where they like to congregate up there.  I swear I think they picked the balls up and carried them outside, because I cannot find them when I go up there--just their gifts of added insulation and a sheet of aluminum foil that looks like it was in somebody's charcoal grill.

At 2:50 PM CDT, a severe storm was spotted....
Razed Bed

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/8/2015, 4:09 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:I hear that pieces of Irish Spring keep deer away but never tried it....

It didn't work for us. They pushed the netted bags of soap out of the way to eat our walnuts!

After hanging for three years, the soap pieces still hadn't melted away, even in our rain. I wonder what's in that stuff!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 6/8/2015, 5:17 pm

Beef fat.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 6/8/2015, 5:31 pm

Razed Bed wrote:

Coddess, for raccoons, try peppermint and citronella oils.  They are supposed to be the top repellent. 

Nope, not gonna buy oils if free Dr. P keeps working as well as it does.

Thanks for letting me know about the soap not working, guys. I won't waste my time if the deer ever show up again.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 6/8/2015, 7:12 pm

Marc,

The beef fat just might attract predators, which in turn could make the deer hesitate--or flee.  Could also be tempting or dangerous for pets.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 6/8/2015, 10:45 pm

jimmy cee wrote:Very Happy
Please let me know when your going to use this spray, I want to hide in my basement, only 4 states away and I don't want to take chances.
Very Happy

Jimmy you are a riot!!
My New All-Encompassing Garden Spray 931411784
rofl
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 6/9/2015, 9:53 am

Razed Bed wrote:Very funny Jimmy.  The wind was blowing from the southwest this morning, so I guess it could reach you in the Keystone State.

Seriously though
I would love to know how this works, very interesting recipe

By the way, I had a talk with our local PA. state agricultural agent, he told me all these items that are supposed to deter deer/animals eventually phizz out.
They become aware there is no danger poised and ignore them.
I'm of the mind, deer especially are quite intelligent about smells.
Human scent ?  out in the woods, in their domain human scent is a threat, when they come into town human scent is all around, so they are oblivious to it.
Animals adjust to just about everything.
Bears out in the Smokie Mts are all over the place, their hardly ever seen by people.
When bears become humanized  ( a term used by forest rangers)  not afraid of people and creating problems.
They are captured and moved to other locations.
Animals may not like smells, when their hungry, that's forgotten   ( my opinions)
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Razed Bed 6/9/2015, 10:49 am

With about 3 inches of rain yesterday, there is obviously no trace of the spray left.  Now, we are looking at at least 7 consecutive days above 90 degrees, so I am afraid to spray anything on the plants at this point.

The deer and smell statement could be enough to make me just apathetic enough to not spray anything new, since I used it all up over the weekend.

Yesterday, the patriarch of the clan stood there in the yard while I was trying to cover the smoker grill and other things prior to the rain.  He just looked at me like I was the hunted and he was the hunter.

This buck is huge.  He might be the height of a horse, and because he tends to stay in yards on our block, he apparently has little or no fear of humans.  He comes up on the patio near the back door and sniffs around the grills.  I think he has consumed some of my hickory chunks, and my wife swears he has licked around the grease traps on the grills.

Hunting of any type is illegal in our urban county, so the only thing these big deer have to fear is automobiles in the street.  I have not seen any dogs or coyotes trying to attack them.  They are becoming a nuisance to everybody.

My neighbor tried to use a garden hose on three that were eating her fruit trees.  Even with a sprayer, one of the deer stayed and readjusted its body while eating.  Of course, she was too scared to approach close enough, so she probably just helped cool the deer.

The rabbits and squirrels are not bothering our garden now.  The raccoons are only bothering us by living upstairs.  We have never really had any loss through deer, but they did a number on the garden Friday night, when my wife and I both had to be out late.

Urban deer are becoming more and more prevalent, and a Youtube search will find numerous instances of these deer coming in people's houses, eating cheeseburgers, playing with dogs and cats, etc. 

In our neighborhood, the deer are starting to act like the wild burros of Oatman, Arizona.
Razed Bed

Back to top Go down

My New All-Encompassing Garden Spray Empty Dr. P?

Post  kauairosina 6/9/2015, 10:37 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:I hear that pieces of Irish Spring keep deer away but never tried it.  I used a concoction once on my maple saplings after deer ate them.  Mine had cayenne, garlic & soap.  They never came back after sampling that....poor things.  Embarassed  I'll use soap in the future.

My raccoon is back and I think he brought his family.  They dug up my entire ground cherry bed among other places.  Last night I used the usual sprinkling of Dr. P all over the yard and there were no signs of them this morning.
What a Face
Wonder if that would work for deer...no cost.

CC
What is Dr. P? si vous plais?
kauairosina
kauairosina

Female Posts : 656

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/9/2015, 11:08 pm

My New All-Encompassing Garden Spray 1174853dr83b5attp

Also, a  good source of nitrogen for plants, sans ingested pharmaceuticals.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

My New All-Encompassing Garden Spray Empty garden spray

Post  kauairosina 6/9/2015, 11:35 pm

Pretty darned funny.  Thanks!
kauairosina
kauairosina

Female Posts : 656

Back to top Go down

Post  Razed Bed 6/10/2015, 9:00 am

I must be slow and not in the loop, but at least I finally realized that Cape Coddess is not using Dr. Pepper in her garden.

I guess I will return that case of Mr. Pibb I bought yesterday???
Razed Bed

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/10/2015, 11:58 pm

Boffer and Razed Bed - lol!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 6/11/2015, 8:04 am

+1!!

Oh, Boffer - WHERE did you find that?  Even DH got a kick out of it.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down