Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter Toplef10Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter I22gcj10Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Square Foot Gardening Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N&C Midwest: September 2020 !
by Scorpio Rising Today at 5:07 pm

» Late season Planting?
by Scorpio Rising Today at 11:35 am

» Quick Fall Crops
by Scorpio Rising Today at 11:31 am

» Prior planning prevents poor plantings performance
by Scorpio Rising 9/16/2020, 10:30 am

» South West Gal returns to SQF
by AtlantaMarie 9/15/2020, 7:20 am

» The SFG journey-Shade cloth removal
by has55 9/15/2020, 12:03 am

» Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!
by Scorpio Rising 9/13/2020, 12:36 pm

» Fire Season
by TCgardening 9/13/2020, 9:35 am

» Eddie Willers 1st rookie mistake, what to do?
by TCgardening 9/13/2020, 9:26 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2020, 10:25 am

» Fall Pollinators
by OhioGardener 9/10/2020, 4:19 pm

» New to SFG in Michigan 6a
by OhioGardener 9/10/2020, 3:32 pm

» OhioGardener SFG
by OhioGardener 9/10/2020, 3:26 pm

» How much compost do I need?
by sanderson 9/10/2020, 2:32 am

» Tomato Tuesday - 2020
by Scorpio Rising 9/9/2020, 11:28 am

» Old New Guy
by TCgardening 9/8/2020, 2:45 pm

» Greetings from Central Florida
by TCgardening 9/8/2020, 2:43 pm

» TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer
by Scorpio Rising 9/7/2020, 2:50 pm

» New England, September, 2020
by Scorpio Rising 9/6/2020, 10:55 am

» Ediblegardengirl's post about square foot gardening
by Scorpio Rising 9/4/2020, 9:22 am

» Monthly Avatar: September, Show Off Your Garden Harvest!
by Scorpio Rising 9/3/2020, 9:32 am

» beneficial nematodes
by OhioGardener 9/2/2020, 9:22 pm

» To Replace or Amend current soil
by OhioGardener 9/2/2020, 10:47 am

» LED grow lights......any advice?
by RJARPCGP 9/2/2020, 5:00 am

» Lettuce & Greens always bitter
by sanderson 9/2/2020, 4:41 am

» my worms are gonna get hungry
by sanderson 9/2/2020, 4:34 am

» Hot & Sweet Jalapeno Mustard
by Scorpio Rising 9/1/2020, 10:39 am

» Eddie Willers Rookie Mistake #3, not knowing what I have...
by Scorpio Rising 9/1/2020, 10:37 am

» Eddie Willers rookie mistake #2. Zucchini
by Scorpio Rising 9/1/2020, 10:26 am

» Steam canning?
by sanderson 8/31/2020, 3:12 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter

Go down

Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter Empty Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter

Post  OhioGardener on 7/29/2020, 11:02 am

For several years I have used 3' diameter by 1' high fire rings for raised beds, and am using them for raising rhubarb plants.  Was surprised to see that in the latest Tractor Supply Co. flyer that they are now not advertised as just Fire Rings, but as "Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter".  Since these fire rings are open to the bottom, they are excellent for raised bed gardens. Each 3' fire ring is 7 sq ft, and holds 7 cu ft of soil.

Went on-line to look up the item, and in the description they state:


  • EASY SET UP. Create a garden in minutes with no assembly or tools required.
  • LIGHTWEIGHT AND DURABLE. Lasts longer than wooden planters.
  • MULTIPLIES YOUR HARVEST. Produces twice the vegetables in half the time.
  • SAFETY FIRST. Galvanized steel and rounded edges ensures safety for all plants, soils, pets and people.


This new advertising is apparently part of the panic buying of garden supplies that has been taking place of the past several months.

____________________________

Never plant without a bucket of compost at your side.
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Posts : 2118
Join date : 2018-08-06
Location : SW Ohio

Back to top Go down

Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter Empty Re: Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter

Post  donnainzone5 on 7/29/2020, 12:42 pm

Several years ago, I hired some neighborhood kids to help remove some retaining wall bricks.  They decided to use them to build a fire pit for me.  

Immediately, I thought to use it for planting a few raspberries.  I'd already tried a similar method for some dwarf fruit trees.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2505
Join date : 2010-03-02
Age : 73
Location : Bend, OR (Zone 5-6)

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter Empty Re: Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter

Post  Scorpio Rising on 7/31/2020, 6:47 pm

@OhioGardener wrote:For several years I have used 3' diameter by 1' high fire rings for raised beds, and am using them for raising rhubarb plants.  Was surprised to see that in the latest Tractor Supply Co. flyer that they are now not advertised as just Fire Rings, but as "Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter".  Since these fire rings are open to the bottom, they are excellent for raised bed gardens. Each 3' fire ring is 7 sq ft, and holds 7 cu ft of soil.

Went on-line to look up the item, and in the description they state:


  • EASY SET UP. Create a garden in minutes with no assembly or tools required.
  • LIGHTWEIGHT AND DURABLE. Lasts longer than wooden planters.
  • MULTIPLIES YOUR HARVEST. Produces twice the vegetables in half the time.
  • SAFETY FIRST. Galvanized steel and rounded edges ensures safety for all plants, soils, pets and people.


This new advertising is apparently part of the panic buying of garden supplies that has been taking place of the past several months.
That’s hysterical, OG.  My new bed this year is a TSC 48” Fire Ring—before it was re-named!  Works great, my taters are in there and probably getting pulled this weekend.  I would totally do it again, especially with the coupon!  

Question, one rhubarb per 3’ ring?  My rhubarb is struggling in my crappy clay soil....
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7764
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 58
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter Empty Re: Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter

Post  OhioGardener on 7/31/2020, 7:28 pm

@Scorpio Rising wrote:Question, one rhubarb per 3’ ring?  My rhubarb is struggling in my crappy clay soil....

Yes, I have one Rhubarb plant per 3' ring. I have the same problem with clay soil, and the rhubarb always got crown rot due to the clay staying so wet for so long in the spring. Made it very difficult to grow rhubarb here. They do great in the 1' high raised bed. The roots still grow down into the clay below the bed, but the crown and the bulk of the roots are up in the raised bed soil.

____________________________

Never plant without a bucket of compost at your side.
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Posts : 2118
Join date : 2018-08-06
Location : SW Ohio

Back to top Go down

Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter Empty Re: Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter

Post  Scorpio Rising on 8/1/2020, 8:59 am

@OhioGardener wrote:
@Scorpio Rising wrote:Question, one rhubarb per 3’ ring?  My rhubarb is struggling in my crappy clay soil....

Yes, I have one Rhubarb plant per 3' ring. I have the same problem with clay soil, and the rhubarb always got crown rot due to the clay staying so wet for so long in the spring. Made it very difficult to grow rhubarb here. They do great in the 1' high raised bed. The roots still grow down into the clay below the bed, but the crown and the bulk of the roots are up in the raised bed soil.
Transplant early Spring?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7764
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 58
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter Empty Re: Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter

Post  OhioGardener on 8/1/2020, 9:04 am

@Scorpio Rising wrote:
@OhioGardener wrote:
@Scorpio Rising wrote:Question, one rhubarb per 3’ ring?  My rhubarb is struggling in my crappy clay soil....

Yes, I have one Rhubarb plant per 3' ring. I have the same problem with clay soil, and the rhubarb always got crown rot due to the clay staying so wet for so long in the spring. Made it very difficult to grow rhubarb here. They do great in the 1' high raised bed. The roots still grow down into the clay below the bed, but the crown and the bulk of the roots are up in the raised bed soil.
Transplant early Spring?

Yes, early spring before they sprout is the best time.  They can also be divided and transplanted in the fall after the leaves die back, but early spring is the best time.

____________________________

Never plant without a bucket of compost at your side.
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Posts : 2118
Join date : 2018-08-06
Location : SW Ohio

Back to top Go down

Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter Empty Re: Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter

Post  Scorpio Rising on 8/2/2020, 8:03 pm

OK, so this past year was the first I supposedly could harvest; it was pretty sparse.  poor thing has been struggling in the hard clay.  

I cannot wait to get this rhubarb into a nice bed with decent growing medium!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7764
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 58
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter Empty Re: Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum