Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Just about got enough seeds  sown & seedlings transplanted  Toplef10Just about got enough seeds  sown & seedlings transplanted  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Just about got enough seeds  sown & seedlings transplanted  I22gcj10Just about got enough seeds  sown & seedlings transplanted  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Square Foot Gardening Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» OhioGardener SFG
by yolos Today at 11:09 am

» Eddie Willers 1st rookie mistake - planting potatoes
by sanderson Today at 1:50 am

» New to SFG in Michigan 6a
by sanderson Today at 1:35 am

» Hi all!
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:01 pm

» Your first frost date ...had it yet?
by yolos 9/26/2020, 11:13 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 9/26/2020, 8:35 am

» Fire Season
by Turan 9/25/2020, 9:36 pm

» What new seeds are you saving this year?
by Turan 9/25/2020, 9:29 pm

» Self Watering containers?
by OldCrow 9/25/2020, 1:30 pm

» Prior planning prevents poor plantings performance
by plantoid 9/24/2020, 4:43 pm

» Elevated beds
by plantoid 9/24/2020, 4:36 pm

» Planting Asparagus seedlings.
by Cherbear 9/23/2020, 3:31 pm

» beneficial nematodes
by OhioGardener 9/23/2020, 12:43 pm

» Seed Exchange: Looking for Greek Sweet Red Squash
by OhioGardener 9/23/2020, 12:35 pm

» The SFG journey-Shade cloth removal
by has55 9/23/2020, 12:16 pm

» Hello from your Mid-South Host
by BarbaraG 9/22/2020, 10:17 am

» Hello!
by AtlantaMarie 9/22/2020, 7:35 am

» Tomato Pie
by Scorpio Rising 9/21/2020, 9:02 pm

» N&C Midwest: September 2020 !
by Scorpio Rising 9/21/2020, 8:58 pm

» Lettuce & Greens always bitter
by plantoid 9/20/2020, 3:59 pm

» Squirrels again
by RJARPCGP 9/20/2020, 12:12 pm

» New England, September, 2020
by RJARPCGP 9/19/2020, 11:30 pm

» Tomato Tuesday - 2020
by OhioGardener 9/19/2020, 8:43 am

» Late season Planting?
by Scorpio Rising 9/18/2020, 11:35 am

» Quick Fall Crops
by Scorpio Rising 9/18/2020, 11:31 am

» South West Gal returns to SQF
by AtlantaMarie 9/15/2020, 7:20 am

» Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!
by Scorpio Rising 9/13/2020, 12:36 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2020, 10:25 am

» Fall Pollinators
by OhioGardener 9/10/2020, 4:19 pm

» How much compost do I need?
by sanderson 9/10/2020, 2:32 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Just about got enough seeds sown & seedlings transplanted

Go down

Just about got enough seeds  sown & seedlings transplanted  Empty Just about got enough seeds sown & seedlings transplanted

Post  plantoid on 5/24/2020, 6:22 pm

As the title says  by various means I've  managed to do catch up ,  sow seeds that should have been sown a month ago & by using a heated UV grown cabinet have got most of them big enough to plant direct from the cabinet or germinated well enough  to put in the glasshouse to get  a lot of natural light & be ready for planting out this time next week .

I spent a couple of hours this afternoon prepping two 4 x 4 x 3 foot deep beds then planting out the seedlings . There are still two beds that need the final clearing so I can plant the remaining seedlings . It's at times like this that I realise the 250 plus of veg beds  could do with another  6 x 9 square foot beds in a separate block for I hadn't originally planned to have a permanent asparagus bed  nor  a 4 yr occupied bed cycle for the rhubarb .
   I might just try growing the rhubarb down on the eight foot down slope bank at the bottom of our property .. it might help keep the weeds down as well as free up another 9 sq ft bed .



 Crops so far 9 sq/ft   asparagus , 9 sq ft rhubarb  , 9 sq/ft garlic , runner kidney beans , 18 sq/ft Spanish onions , 9 sq/ft Red baron onions ,  a couple of summer cabbages , a couple of late cabbages a couple of winter cabbages . Nine leeks , eight early celery plants , 12 foot of peas, six flava bean plants ,  six French climbing yellow wax  beans ,  three beds of carrots early main & late crop that should run through to next year , chou d Au Benton x 4 , 27 parsnips , 24 beet root 9 brussels sprouts. & finally a seed bed with  all manner of seeds for late summer crops & numerous types of salad stuff  .

I did the tomato slice trick to get some money maker toms and cherry toms … as a result I have 58 money maker plants about 2.5 inches high and 53  mini cherry toms about 2 inches high .. I'll be growing a dozen tom plants in tubs in the glasshouse and sell off the rest  as there is a shortage of tom plants due to the effects of the Corona virus  putting a stop to  garden centers being open & everybody & their granny buying seeds for gardens they've never tended before .

 What are you guys & gals growing or sowing ? .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4045
Join date : 2011-11-09
Age : 69
Location : At the west end of M4 in the UK

Back to top Go down

Just about got enough seeds  sown & seedlings transplanted  Empty Re: Just about got enough seeds sown & seedlings transplanted

Post  Emily49 on 5/25/2020, 2:59 pm

Today my toms, basil, and maybe my pepper are getting transplanted.  My bush beans are all sprouted.  I'm still watching for my pole beans.  I'm going to transplant mint out of the SF beds and into a pot.  My sugar snap peas are doing well, they are about 6" now.  
I'm still watching inside for cucumber, melon, and spaghetti squash to sprout.  I'm going to have another try at carrots (only had 3 sprout) and chives (none) outside. 

I need to buy zucchini and a cherry tom along with some pesticide flowers.  

I have a bunch of squares left, so looking for ideas.  One bed has 4 squares of peas, and will have 6 or 7 squares of toms.  That leaves 2 there that I guess will be flowers
Emily49
Emily49

Posts : 84
Join date : 2019-05-27
Location : Stewartstown, PA zone 6

Back to top Go down

Just about got enough seeds  sown & seedlings transplanted  Empty Re: Just about got enough seeds sown & seedlings transplanted

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/25/2020, 9:22 pm

@Emily49 wrote:Today my toms, basil, and maybe my pepper are getting transplanted.  My bush beans are all sprouted.  I'm still watching for my pole beans.  I'm going to transplant mint out of the SF beds and into a pot.  My sugar snap peas are doing well, they are about 6" now.  
I'm still watching inside for cucumber, melon, and spaghetti squash to sprout.  I'm going to have another try at carrots (only had 3 sprout) and chives (none) outside. 

I need to buy zucchini and a cherry tom along with some pesticide flowers.  

I have a bunch of squares left, so looking for ideas.  One bed has 4 squares of peas, and will have 6 or 7 squares of toms.  That leaves 2 there that I guess will be flowers
Have you ever grown ground cherries?  I had’t until my 2nd year here...they are an interesting fruity-veg that tastes like pineapple and reminds me of a tomatillo!  

Quick start for now would be Swiss chard, do you like leaves?  It is a yummy veggie that I can’t do without!

Or you might want to save your squares for garlic????  Loves garlic!  That goes in at Halloween.  

You could still plant a couple taters???  Gett some seed potatoes from your local nursery?  I like Yukon Gold.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7769
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 58
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

Just about got enough seeds  sown & seedlings transplanted  Empty Re: Just about got enough seeds sown & seedlings transplanted

Post  sanderson on 5/30/2020, 5:46 pm

Plantoid, It sounds like you will be putting up a lot of tomatoes. Also, selling some starts??

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 19170
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 71
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Just about got enough seeds  sown & seedlings transplanted  Empty Re: Just about got enough seeds sown & seedlings transplanted

Post  Emily49 on 6/1/2020, 7:01 pm

@Scorpio Rising wrote:
@Emily49 wrote:Today my toms, basil, and maybe my pepper are getting transplanted.  My bush beans are all sprouted.  I'm still watching for my pole beans.  I'm going to transplant mint out of the SF beds and into a pot.  My sugar snap peas are doing well, they are about 6" now.  
I'm still watching inside for cucumber, melon, and spaghetti squash to sprout.  I'm going to have another try at carrots (only had 3 sprout) and chives (none) outside. 

I need to buy zucchini and a cherry tom along with some pesticide flowers.  

I have a bunch of squares left, so looking for ideas.  One bed has 4 squares of peas, and will have 6 or 7 squares of toms.  That leaves 2 there that I guess will be flowers
Have you ever grown ground cherries?  I had’t until my 2nd year here...they are an interesting fruity-veg that tastes like pineapple and reminds me of a tomatillo!  

Quick start for now would be Swiss chard, do you like leaves?  It is a yummy veggie that I can’t do without!

Or you might want to save your squares for garlic????  Loves garlic!  That goes in at Halloween.  

You could still plant a couple taters???  Gett some seed potatoes from your local nursery?  I like Yukon Gold.
I asked the nursery about ground cherries and they didn't have it, but did have tomatillo, so we are trying that.  I never saw them before.  I also saved an eye from our last potato, so going to try that too.
Emily49
Emily49

Posts : 84
Join date : 2019-05-27
Location : Stewartstown, PA zone 6

Back to top Go down

Just about got enough seeds  sown & seedlings transplanted  Empty Re: Just about got enough seeds sown & seedlings transplanted

Post  Scorpio Rising on 6/2/2020, 6:22 pm

Emily, ground cherries are probably only available as seeds...Kind of a niche thing, I have never seen a plant anyways!  

I think you will like growing potatoes, they are easy and dependable!  I have never tried tomatillos!  They are great in salsas and stuff!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7769
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 58
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

Just about got enough seeds  sown & seedlings transplanted  Empty Re: Just about got enough seeds sown & seedlings transplanted

Post  Emily49 on 6/2/2020, 7:33 pm

@Scorpio Rising wrote:Emily, ground cherries are probably only available as seeds...Kind of a niche thing, I have never seen a plant anyways!  

I think you will like growing potatoes, they are easy and dependable!  I have never tried tomatillos!  They are great in salsas and stuff!
 My nature ID app says that tomatillo is in the ground cherry genus and the nightshade family.  I thought that was interesting.


Now that I have a potato eye, I don't know where to put it.  All my beds have something in them already that doesn't get along!  Guess I'll have to find a pot and MM.


Last edited by Emily49 on 6/2/2020, 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : not finished)
Emily49
Emily49

Posts : 84
Join date : 2019-05-27
Location : Stewartstown, PA zone 6

Back to top Go down

Just about got enough seeds  sown & seedlings transplanted  Empty Re: Just about got enough seeds sown & seedlings transplanted

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum