Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
N&C Midwest:  August 2019 Toplef10N&C Midwest:  August 2019 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

N&C Midwest:  August 2019 I22gcj10N&C Midwest:  August 2019 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
N&C Midwest:  August 2019 Toplef10N&C Midwest:  August 2019 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

N&C Midwest:  August 2019 I22gcj10N&C Midwest:  August 2019 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

N&C Midwest: August 2019

+2
OhioGardener
Scorpio Rising
6 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

N&C Midwest:  August 2019 Empty N&C Midwest: August 2019

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/1/2019, 6:32 am

Wow?!!  Here we are in the depth of summer!  Seasonably warm here, rain spigot is off; will water this weekend, no time today!  

August brings big harvests our way, hopefully! I saw my first powdery mildew on a squash plant yesterday, so milk spray is on my menu today...using powdered (lol) milk for the first time (much cheaper) so will report.  

What’s going on, folks?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8801

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest:  August 2019 Empty Re: N&C Midwest: August 2019

Post  OhioGardener 8/2/2019, 2:13 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:August brings big harvests our way, hopefully! I saw my first powdery mildew on a squash plant yesterday, so milk spray is on my menu today...using powdered (lol) milk for the first time (much cheaper) so will report. 

Hope you get the powdery mildew under control before it spreads!  I have been fortunate that I have not had any PM since I started monthly spray of Compost Tea last year. Hopefully that trend will continue.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4647

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 8/2/2019, 2:15 pm

Best Crops to Plant in August by Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 8/4/2019, 6:11 pm

Fall is rapidly approaching, whether we are ready or not.  The Romaine Lettuce started bolting to seed, so I cut them off at soil level and put them in the compost. Re-mulched the tomatoes so they can better handle the high heat we're experiencing. Planted some more Sora Radish seed so we'll have a continual availability of them for salads.  Harvested the Curly Kale and Rainbow Chard again - this has become a weekly event. The second planting of Blue Lake Bush Beans are up and growing, so it won't be long we'll be enjoying fresh green beans again.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/4/2019, 8:38 pm

Nice OG!  I have harvested a few eggplants, so will probably make an Italian inspired meal tomorrow.  

Only thing I used from the e garden was putting up cuke pickles,  I used a bunch of garlic closed!  

Hope they turn out better than last years; total loss.

Also did sweet pickles.  We will see!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/5/2019, 7:17 pm

Just picked my first big tomatoes!!!  They are Mr. Stripey from Walmart.  I had a panic attack, and rightfully so when stuff just wasn’t growing....well.  Mr Stripey was!  He seems to be a one shot wonder.  Can’t wait for my first legit BLT!!!!

Need to buy lettuce...never fails.   Wink
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 8/5/2019, 7:26 pm

What a coincidence you should mention getting ready for your first BLT, what a coincidence! My wife made one today from one of them with a thick slice of a Brandywine tomato, fresh Romaine lettuce, and some thick-cut Applewood Bacon from Fresh Thyme.  She loves those Brandywine tomatoes!

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/6/2019, 7:18 pm

OhioGardener wrote:What a coincidence you should mention getting ready for your first BLT, what a coincidence! My wife made one today from one of them with a thick slice of a Brandywine tomato, fresh Romaine lettuce, and some thick-cut Applewood Bacon from Fresh Thyme.  She loves those Brandywine tomatoes!
YES!!!!!!    It is the reason for the season, so to say.  Tomatoes and that first REAL BLT!!!!  Oh man!  I too love Brandywine, but mine aren’t ready yet.  Mr. Stripey makes me happy!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/8/2019, 10:23 pm

Unbelievable, but we need a rain.  I watered last night, so glad because the pop ups have been avoiding me!  Probably gonna make a batch of bread and butters The is weekend...lots of cukes out there!  

Need to see how to figure out how to preserve those summer squashes...I can eat the zukes, but the patty pans are so prolific!   bounce
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  nrstooge 8/9/2019, 7:10 pm

I've gotten 3 roma tomatoes and several handfulls of cherry tomatoes, chard, lettuce, kale and herbs so far.. the beans took a set back when the apartment building sprayed for weeds (HATE Roundup) and it also killed my Brandywine tomato.  I've started seeds indoors for my fall garden. 

Not bad for a patio container garden.
nrstooge
nrstooge

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 8/9/2019, 8:45 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Need to see how to figure out how to preserve those summer squashes...I can eat the zukes, but the patty pans are so prolific!   bounce

Do you like fried summer squash?  If so, they are easy to prepare for freezing, and then when you are ready to fry them for eating just thaw them out and fry them.  To get the ready for freezing, do these 4 easy steps:

1. Wash and cut into 1/2" slices.
2. Blanch in boiling water for 3 minutes
3. Remove from boiling water and cool in ice water for 3 minutes
4. Dredge in flour or cornmeal (you frying preference), place single layer on cookie sheet, and freeze. After frozen, remove from cookie sheet and place in freezer containers to store in freezer.

But, if you just want to use them in casseroles or as boiled vegetables, just do steps 1 through 3, and then freeze them.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/10/2019, 8:11 pm

OhioGardener wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:Need to see how to figure out how to preserve those summer squashes...I can eat the zukes, but the patty pans are so prolific!   bounce

Do you like fried summer squash?  If so, they are easy to prepare for freezing, and then when you are ready to fry them for eating just thaw them out and fry them.  To get the ready for freezing, do these 4 easy steps:

1. Wash and cut into 1/2" slices.
2. Blanch in boiling water for 3 minutes
3. Remove from boiling water and cool in ice water for 3 minutes
4. Dredge in flour or cornmeal (you frying preference), place single layer on cookie sheet, and freeze. After frozen, remove from cookie sheet and place in freezer containers to store in freezer.

But, if you just want to use them in casseroles or as boiled vegetables, just do steps 1 through 3, and then freeze them.
Dang!  Will do this!  Thanks, OG!  

Going to can bread and butter pickles tomorrow, lots of cukes hitting.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/10/2019, 8:12 pm

nrstooge wrote:I've gotten 3 roma tomatoes and several handfulls of cherry tomatoes, chard, lettuce, kale and herbs so far.. the beans took a set back when the apartment building sprayed for weeds (HATE Roundup) and it also killed my Brandywine tomato.  I've started seeds indoors for my fall garden. 

Not bad for a patio container garden.
Nice!  Agree, containers have limits.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/11/2019, 7:09 pm

Put up 6 pints of bread and butter pickles.  Had to order ClearJel to make the mustard pickles that will allow me to deal with my zucchini!  Coming tomorrow, I love Amazon!  Never heard of the stuff...apparently people who can love this stuff...had to get a bunch, so apparently I will be doing some puttin up!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 8/12/2019, 10:44 am

Weekly harvest of Curly Kale, Rainbow Chard, and Perpetual Spinach this morning. Lots of healthy greens this time of the year.  Love it!

Rainbow Chard
N&C Midwest:  August 2019 Rainbo10

Curly Kale
N&C Midwest:  August 2019 Curly_13

Perpetual Chard
N&C Midwest:  August 2019 Perpet10

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/13/2019, 8:01 pm

Nice leaves, OG!  I am not getting any leaves at this point...will soonish!  My son commented that we don’t eat anywhere near the amount of pickles I have canned thus far, the cuke plants are slowing down, however...

Peppers really late, you seeing that?  I have some on, but nothing is red, and I probably won’t wait too long for that to happen...

Looks like summer carrots and small square of beets will be timely.  

Ate my first juicy and sugar sweet Minnesota Midget muskmelon on Sunday for breakfast—I love them so much!!!!  Trying to figure out how to tell when the full sized Ambrosia is ready...never grew a full size muskmelon...
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 8/14/2019, 8:46 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Nice leaves, OG!  I am not getting any leaves at this point...will soonish!  My son commented that we don’t eat anywhere near the amount of pickles I have canned thus far, the cuke plants are slowing down, however...

Peppers really late, you seeing that?  I have some on, but nothing is red, and I probably won’t wait too long for that to happen...

Looks like summer carrots and small square of beets will be timely.  

Ate my first juicy and sugar sweet Minnesota Midget muskmelon on Sunday for breakfast—I love them so much!!!!  Trying to figure out how to tell when the full sized Ambrosia is ready...never grew a full size muskmelon...

Our peppers were not late in producing, and have been producing more peppers than we can use. We have 6 each of Bell, Banana, and Jalapeno. We have pickled both the Banana and Jalapeno, and frozen the Bell.  And, we have given a lot of them to neighbors, too.

We have harvested & frozen all of the spring planting of carrots and beets, and have planted seeds for the fall crops of both.  I don't grow melons, but we have a lot of winter squash that is about ready to harvest - the plants are drying up.

The pepper plants are all about 3' tall - Bell Peppers on left, Banana Peppers in the middle, and Jalapeno Peppers on the right.
N&C Midwest:  August 2019 Pepper27

Bell Peppers
N&C Midwest:  August 2019 Bell_p11

Banana Peppers
N&C Midwest:  August 2019 Banana22

Jalapeno Peppers
N&C Midwest:  August 2019 Jalape17

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 8/15/2019, 9:44 am

Time to pickle some more Jalapeno Peppers. This is about 1/2 the harvest of them, gave the rest of them to a neighbor.

N&C Midwest:  August 2019 Jalape18

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/15/2019, 9:34 pm

Yeah, you are ahead of me, OG!  How many jalapeño plants do you have?  I only Germinated one.  But she is putting them on!  

Just harvested my first ever Poblanos!  They have some heat!  But fruity too!  Cut them up to eat....so pretty, dark dark green!  Also got my first golden beet and 2 more Sakatas Sweet melons.  

These zucchini pickles are amazing:

N&C Midwest:  August 2019 55b92e10

Can’t wait to taste them!

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 8/15/2019, 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Prickles, lol)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 8/17/2019, 8:30 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:Yeah, you are ahead of me, OG!  How many jalapeño plants do you have?  I only Germinated one.  But she is putting them on! 

I have 6 Jalapeno pepper plants.  I have never seen them produce like they have this year!  But then, we have had record production with all of the vegetables this year. All my efforts to build living soil seems to have really paid off.

The only problem with the pepper plants is that we have canned and frozen more than we need to get us through the winter until next year's plants start producing, and the plants are still heavily producing more peppers.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/18/2019, 11:44 pm

Gotcha!  I had 2 plants last year and ended up freezing a bunch of them.  I used them all with making various recipes.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 8/20/2019, 2:06 pm

The cukes just keep on coming in! I downsized this year to only 3 plants, thinking that we would get just enough cucumbers for our use.  But, we have pickled all that we need, and we eat as many as we can in salads, but we can't keep up with them. We gave a big bunch of them to a neighbor yesterday, thinking that we got rid of all of them.  But, this morning these came into the house....
N&C Midwest:  August 2019 Cucumb18

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/20/2019, 2:23 pm

OhioGardener wrote:The cukes just keep on coming in! I downsized this year to only 3 plants, thinking that we would get just enough cucumbers for our use.  But, we have pickled all that we need, and we eat as many as we can in salads, but we can't keep up with them. We gave a big bunch of them to a neighbor yesterday, thinking that we got rid of all of them.  But, this morning these came into the house....
N&C Midwest:  August 2019 Cucumb18
AARRGGHH!!!!! I planted at least 20, and still don't have a single cuke to show for it. N&C Midwest:  August 2019 671790
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 8/21/2019, 11:32 am

The Summer Daikon Radishes (Minowase Summer Cross) are doing great - they don't seem to mind the hot, dry weather we've been having.  The radishes are so sweet and crispy in salads this time of year.

N&C Midwest:  August 2019 Daikon11

N&C Midwest:  August 2019 Daikon12

N&C Midwest:  August 2019 Daikon13

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 8/21/2019, 11:35 am

Love going out in the early morning and harvesting the leaf lettuce while it is fresh from the damp, cool nighttime air. The Black Seeded Simpson has really been producing. Planted a fall crop of Romaine Lettuce a couple weeks ago, but it is just about an inch tall now and will be a while before we're harvesting it.

N&C Midwest:  August 2019 Leaf_l10

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next