Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
cold frame gardening question Toplef10cold frame gardening question 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

cold frame gardening question I22gcj10cold frame gardening question 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
cold frame gardening question Toplef10cold frame gardening question 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

cold frame gardening question I22gcj10cold frame gardening question 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

cold frame gardening question

+7
Dan in Ct
Scorpio Rising
OhioGardener
ralitaco
yolos
CapeCoddess
GWN
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

cold frame gardening question Empty cold frame gardening question

Post  GWN 3/10/2017, 2:33 pm

I have a cold frame, but have had varying success growing things in it.  Right now I have it all cleared out and weeded, transplanted a few spinach and lettuce in there a week ago and they seem to still be alive.
What I am wondering is.... can I actually sow seeds in there now, say... with radishes, or spinach?  Or do I need to sprout them inside and then put them in cold frame.  I got some seeds  for WATERMELON radishes from seed savers exchange, and they are considered a "winter radish"
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

cold frame gardening question Empty Re: cold frame gardening question

Post  CapeCoddess 3/10/2017, 2:43 pm

I don't see why not. Give it a try. It's only a few seeds.

What the heck is that thing in your hand in your avatar?
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 3/10/2017, 2:45 pm

ITS a rock, my "winter" hobby  Smile
OK, here I go ....walking in the snow...to plant radishes
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 3/10/2017, 4:59 pm

All depends.  Mostly depends on the soil temperature if you want your seeds to germinate.  Also depends on the air temp and sun exposure if you want the plants to grow after they germinate.  Here is a soil temp germination chart.  For example, if your soil temperature is 41*F then it takes 29 days for radishes to germinate.  If your soil temperature is 50* F then it takes 11 days to germinate radishes. etc.

http://tomclothier.hort.net/page11.html
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 3/10/2017, 5:11 pm

yolos wrote:Here is a soil temp germination chart.  ...
Thanks for sharing this. It's amazing what is out there on the internet.

One day I hope to try a cold frame on my TT, but alas, that is a project for another day. Besides, I figure I need to master growing in optimum conditions first.
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1312

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 3/10/2017, 5:30 pm

Thank you YOLOS
I have printed it out and gone out and shovelled off the cold frame and the soil is about 48.  This chart really helps.    The spinach is thriving as is the lettuce.  Now I have all kinds of ideas   I am going to sprout some over night and plant others.  I see a spinach and radish salad in my near future  Smile
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 11/28/2018, 10:13 am

One of the projects on my To Do list this fall was to build a Cold Frame so it would be ready to use next spring to get early crops of lettuce, spinach, and radishes. But, alas, it never got done.  I have a metal framed clear glass shower door from the RV that I was thinking of using for the top, but after finding this article on building a cold frame, I think I might be better off with 2 smaller windows that can be opened individually. Wonder if I actually get the cold frame built this winter, if I can get it in place in time to warm the soil enough for early planting? 

Build A Window Sash Cold Frame

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4504

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/28/2018, 10:10 pm

So, it seems like you almost need to have the windows before you decide on the dimensions of the frame?  I am going to pay someone to build me one, I don’t have the saws, etc.  But I think I need the “glass” first?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8703

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 11/29/2018, 7:19 am

Your are correct, SR, everything has to be sized according to the windows that will be used.  I stopped by the Habitat for Humanity Restore and found two sash windows that will perfectly for the one I want to build. Each window is 34"x32", so that will be a good size cold frame.  I really, really need either a greenhouse or a cold frame - I can only afford a cold frame...  Rolling Eyes

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/29/2018, 9:29 pm

OhioGardener wrote:Your are correct, SR, everything has to be sized according to the windows that will be used.  I stopped by the Habitat for Humanity Restore and found two sash windows that will perfectly for the one I want to build. Each window is 34"x32", so that will be a good size cold frame.  I really, really need either a greenhouse or a cold frame - I can only afford a cold frame...  Rolling Eyes
right.  I get it.  I am just a bit nervous about using real glass....
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan in Ct 11/30/2018, 8:24 am

OG, my brother bought me one similar to this and although the plastic only lasted a season. I have since added a sheet of 6 mil that is holding up far better. I only use it in the spring to get seedlings into the sun as early as April on warm sunny days when the temperature exceeds 50 F. I think he only paid $25 but it was end of season pickup. it is on my back deck against the front railing, back and one side. The link below for reference.

https://www.amazon.com/Homewell-Walk-Greenhouse-Tiers-Shelves/dp/B00U9RGVWK/ref=asc_df_B00U9RGVWK/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=193150648923&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18086363740755035025&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003191&hvtargid=pla-309887301535&psc=1

I did pickup some windows once off craigslist and they are still sitting on the side of the garage. The greenhouse works for me and allows me the room to germinate many more seedlings. I also picked up a couple of sliders once, doubled pane but far too heavy for a cold frame. Not all my plans work but I learn something whether they work or not.
Dan in Ct
Dan in Ct

Male Posts : 295

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/30/2018, 2:36 pm

The green house frame in the link would be worth the price.  Mine is made of 1/2" PVC, but the PVC fittings really added to the cost.  I don't use it anymore but I still have the pieces and home cut 4 mil plastic washed and the PVC stored in labeled 4 mil sleeves.  The strings are to hold sections together in the wind. cold frame gardening question Hot_ho15
cold frame gardening question Hot_ho16

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 11/30/2018, 2:50 pm

Don't think that type of greenhouse would survive our midwestern winds - often 35 to 40 mph - nor the snow load during the winter months. And then, in March - May we are in tornado season.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/30/2018, 8:21 pm

OhioGardener wrote:Don't think that type of greenhouse would survive our midwestern winds - often 35 to 40 mph - nor the snow load during the winter months. And then, in March - May we are in tornado season.
Agree.  I am needing a cold frame, open to the ground, on the south side of my house...custom dimensions.  First, find glass!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan in Ct 12/1/2018, 8:25 am

cold frame gardening question Empty by OhioGardener on 11/30/2018, 7:50 pm
Don't think that type of greenhouse would survive our midwestern winds - often 35 to 40 mph - nor the snow load during the winter months. And then, in March - May we are in tornado season.

OG, this is what I forget sometimes. One of my brothers lived in Iowa for a few years and he said the wind was one of the hardest things to get used to. Here we can get gusts into the 35 to 40 mph but they are gusts. He said when they said 35 to 40 mph that was 35-40 mph all day or all night long. Advice can be very regional. If it helps when we get a blizzard by definition it is snow accompanied by 50 mph winds. Checked snowfall for Ohio, quite a range for the state. I take it you live in northern Ohio.
Dan in Ct
Dan in Ct

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan in Ct 12/1/2018, 9:35 am

sanderson, I like your pvc pipe greenhouse frame. I belong to a tomato yahoo group and a member there made tomato cages out of pvc pipe. You are right, the pipe is relatively inexpensive but the fittings begin to add up quickly. I am hoping I can use pvc pipe to make clip-ons to hold the plastic sheeting on my little greenhouse. The problem I have here is sunlight, backyard goes to shade mostly by the middle of May and the front yard goes to shade middle to end of September. Leaves don't leave the trees until the middle of November. So I have about two months with little sunlight sufficient enough to grow even lettuce. I did use 1 1/4" pvc pipe as stakes to support tomato plants one year at a community garden plot. Not only did I use them to support the plant but I used it water and fertilize the plants. Poured the liquid right down the pipe whose end was at rootball depth.
Dan in Ct
Dan in Ct

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/1/2018, 2:57 pm

Dan, I use large binder clips. cold frame gardening question Hot_ho18
cold frame gardening question Table_26

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 12/3/2018, 3:25 am

when I was doing the wooden SFG beds I found this to be the best cold frame for me. It had the swing doors, later I added the vents so I didn't have to run out there in the day time to remove the plastic or open it to prevent the plants from burning up. these are two type of beds. if it really cold and you don't have indoor space you can place in the cold frame a small swimming pool pad filled with water and put a heating pad under it. Place your seedling pots on it.  it will caused the seedling to sprout. then transplant when they are big enough to put in the soil.
this is taken from a another thread.
Enlarge this image Click to see fullsize
cold frame gardening question Img_0616

cold frame gardening question Img_0617

cold frame gardening question Img_0618

cold frame gardening question Img_0619

this was my best idea for winter protection. the square one was a waste of time because rain and snow tried to collapse it. But the round hoop house was a breeze to get in a get the food. I added automatic vent foundation opener to allowed the air to move out when hot and close when it drops below 55 degrees. http://www.allpestexpress.com/temp-vent-crawl-space-vents.aspx I was going to used lowes and home depot vents, but they had bad reviews. These have worked like a charm. You can get one piece or two piece assembly. I put a swing door on both sides for easy assessed to the food and then just close the door and go back into the house.  I got the swing doors from here. it the same place I got the greenhouse and the hoop bender. I just got the door shorter to fit the low hoop house. 
1 3/8" OD Angle Brace Adapter-this piece allows you to move in any direction. great iinvention- I used it on the hoop, then used a pole so I could attach the vents. http://www.buildmyowngreenhouse.com/138odanglebraceadapter4pack.aspx
Scissor Door Hinge & Latch-http://www.buildmyowngreenhouse.com/8pack1teeconnectorhooptobaserail-1-1-2.aspx

Low Tunnel Connector Kits-http://www.buildmyowngreenhouse.com/rc-lowtunnelbenders5399.aspx
the red body shelter for camping I got from a camping store. it actually should be two fo severe cold, but you don't have that issue. 
Space All-Weather Blanket-https://www.rei.com/product/407106/space-all-weather-blanket

cold frame gardening question Img_0720

cold frame gardening question Img_0719

cold frame gardening question Img_0727

cold frame gardening question Img_0722

cold frame gardening question Img_0723
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan in Ct 12/3/2018, 10:26 am

sanderson and has55, thank you for the photos.  sanderson, thanks for the tip on the binder clips. I do use medium sized ones to close one end of my greenhouse and tape the other end. I looked through some other photos you have here and you do do a lot with pvc piping. In one on the other photos you used bridal tulle in the place of floating row covers, just being nosy and maybe overly curious as to the why. I hope to do some of the same things with my raised beds as I begin to switch over from mostly buckets to mostly raised beds. As a bucketeer it is too easy to dial in the pH with buckets to do away with them completely. has55, thanks for the link to the auto vents and for your photos. It is always nice to see different ways to accomplish the same thing. I do appreciate it when people take the time and energy to post pictures, they are like garden candy to me and thanks again for sharing.
Dan in Ct
Dan in Ct

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/4/2018, 3:54 pm

Has, I also tried a square frame and I know what you mean about the rain collapsing the plastic sheeting.  Razz  I tried other clumsy PVC designs which were better but still not good.  Embarassed  I didn't try the hoop design like yours (and shown in the book) as I'm afraid of the PVC snapping.  So I went with the gable roof design which has served me well with my climate.  How cold does it get in the winter for you?

Dan,  The tulle is used for winter crops to keep the white butterfly from laying her eggs on my brassicas.  I hate the little green caterpillars! Evil or Very Mad None of the PVC is glued so I can change out designs as needed, especially for beds that are used for tall crops needing supports and short crops that may need protection.  This is a photo of a 2'x7' bed with double "cup holders" at the midpoints.  Half the bed planted in snow peas and the other half in brassicas. cold frame gardening question Winter17

This is a photo of a 1" PVC "cup holder". cold frame gardening question Table_27

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

cold frame gardening question Empty $50 DIY Cold Frame

Post  OhioGardener 12/17/2018, 8:05 am

Saw this video on building a simple cold frame to sit over a raised bed, and love the simplicity of it.  I have all of the material except the plastic to build one like this to cover an 8' section of a raised bed, or might make two 4' cold frames instead of one 8' one - that would make it easier to install and remove. I would use screws instead of nails, but the design is really simple. I would rather use glass or old windows, but it would be difficult to find windows to cover a 4'x4' cover.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/17/2018, 8:54 pm

I want a smaller cold frame.  Not a mobile thing.  It’s just me.  But interesting design!  like it a lot!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/14/2019, 6:54 pm

OK, talked to my colleague at work.  He looked at supplies only, and looks like about $100 for the lumber and plexiglass.  I said Yes!  

So, now my question is:  How do I manage this?  Spinach and a few lettuces?  Radishes do fine out in the wild.  I would think I could start them really early?  Gonna make it open to the earth, (cardboard) and fill with MM.

Normally, I would start spinach and lettuces inside in early March.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

cold frame gardening question Empty So, what and when to plant...

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/27/2019, 5:20 pm

My cold frame is complete, thanks to a guy at work!  Now I need to figure out what and when to plant in there!  

Am gonna fill with MM, maybe leave a spot for pots to harden...spinach?  Radishes, maybe lettuces.  Will be an experiment!
 Pictures coming soon!!

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 1/27/2019, 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pics)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/28/2019, 10:46 pm

How exciting! Photos when you can.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator