Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Spring Fever Anyone? - Page 3 Toplef10Spring Fever Anyone? - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Spring Fever Anyone? - Page 3 I22gcj10Spring Fever Anyone? - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Spring Fever Anyone? - Page 3 Toplef10Spring Fever Anyone? - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Spring Fever Anyone? - Page 3 I22gcj10Spring Fever Anyone? - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Today at 9:59 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 8:47 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 4:24 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 5/12/2024, 7:08 pm

» Cabbage worms
by Guinevere 5/12/2024, 7:07 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Spring Fever Anyone?

+16
brianj555
CitizenKate
reynajrainwater
donnainzone5
Robbomb116
Zmoore
plantoid
BeetlesPerSqFt
MrBooker
runsamok
sanderson
trolleydriver
Ginger Blue
countrynaturals
Scorpio Rising
newbeone
20 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Spring Fever Anyone? - Page 3 Empty Re: Spring Fever Anyone?

Post  brianj555 11/29/2017, 5:21 pm

Yeah.  Speaking of starting to soon: that’s why I said slowly above. I imagine I will be germinating seeds Jan + Feb  (for tomatoes) in a sort of pyramid .  That should cover me if the last frost is very early or late.  Around Feb 1st is when I will do the most.  Worst case scenario, I don’t have to transplant them until early April.
brianj555
brianj555

Male Posts : 444

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 11/29/2017, 7:07 pm

Today's weather got to 56*F and sunny. A beautiful day - it even smelled more spring-y than wintry. But I was only out briefly because I chose to be a grump today. Evil or Very Mad

My first seed order arrived! I took advantage of a Black Friday sale, and I'm pleased to see the seed packets say they are "packed for 2018"! I expected I was going to get 2017 dregs.

My still waiting for my Baker Creek catalog to arrive. bounce

On the one hand I'm eagerly counting down the days until the solstice (the days start lengthening again!

On the other hand - I'm NOT ready for spring yet!  hiding There's still landscape beds to clear, raised beds to top off, more seeds to be ordered, tulle to be purchased and sewn, pots to sort and clean, bumblebee nests to make, and my to-do-calendar document to revise. I start my onions and leeks from seed at the start of February. I won't be starting tomatoes until March.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 11/29/2017, 7:29 pm

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:...

On the one hand I'm eagerly counting down the days until the solstice (the days start lengthening again!
Me too Beetles. Our sunset was at 4:22 pm today. That is really depressing.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/30/2017, 3:57 am

Boy, you guys are starting spring fever early.

For Zone 9-ish, one doesn't need to start seeds until late February. Very Happy

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21557

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 11/30/2017, 6:58 am

Well, I THINK I did the last mowing of the year yesterday afternoon. And I HATE how the days are shortening! So, yes, I'd say spring fever is hitting me as well...

And I try to get my seeds started (in many cases) right at the beginning of the year.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 11/30/2017, 9:44 am

sanderson wrote:Boy, you guys are starting spring fever early.

For Zone 9-ish, one doesn't need to start seeds until late February. Very Happy

If I didn't start seeds until late February, I wouldn't get them transplanted until the third week of April. I am supposed to factor in 6 weeks from germination right? (germination can take a week or more) I am in the northern part of zone 9a, so I am near 8b. The best I can tell if I average the 2 is last frost being March 1st. If that prediction is accurate, I would need to start seeds the last week of January. The plants would be 6 weeks old (from germination) 2 weeks after the last frost. Now, according to the charts in ANSFG, I should transplant "dead on" the last frost date. If i were to follow this "rule of thumb" I would need to actually start seeds the second week of January. I do think that's risky though.

Staring seeds at the beginning of the year will be very risky as those will be ready to go the third week of February, which is actually one week after the last predicted frost for zone 9. As I result, I will only be starting a small number of seeds during this time and slowly adding more and more each week working up to staring the largest number of seeds at the beginning of February and tapering down each week after that. I intend to have back up's ready just in case we have a rare late frost. I am very inexperienced, but I do a lot of research. Worst case scenario, i can give these extra plants to relatives or even sell them. (I'm assuming that I wouldn't have a problem selling 6-12" tall heirloom plants consisting of varieties that can't otherwise be found locally. People in South Mississippi are pretty much homegrown tomato crazy. ) I will be growing about 10 different varieties, but my focus will be on Cherokee Purples, Creole, Stupice and Arkansas Traveler. (seeds on the way from tomatofest now! )

I actually already have plants going in my garage under grow lights for practice since I am new to all of this. I have a nice healthy 12" Cherokee Purple. (The one I started in the Kurig Pod :-) ) It's twin is about 6" tall. (the one i rooted in water that was beside the big one) I have about a 5" tall Abe Lincoln, a 4" tall Best Boy and a 3" tall Roma. I don't expect these will ever make it into the bed, but it is great practice and I am enjoying watching them grow close up.
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/30/2017, 9:27 pm

Fellow Northerners, I am not ready for Spring, but already thinking and scheming for it none the less!  I hate the short dark days.  

I only have one catalog so far.  All my beds need topped off.  I need to plan a strawberry bed.  And make some space for other things too.  

I almost love the planning phase as much as the execution!!!!  Dreams...

Brian, I have a 3 phase indoor start theory.  First, lettuces.  They go out early.  I direct seed spinaches and peas and roots (radish, beets, turnips)

Next, Tomatoes, herbs, peppers, groundcherries started.  These will be potted up before going out.

Lastly the hotties:  melons, Squash, cukes, sunflowers.  I use peat pots for these except for sunflowers. 

That allows me some time to get these babies bigger if advised!  There are a whole bunch of threads on here about seed starting!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8735

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 11/30/2017, 11:48 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Fellow Northerners, I am not ready for Spring, but already thinking and scheming for it none the less!  I hate the short dark days. 
Yes! It's those short dark days that are getting to me! It's not so much that I want spring sooner, I just want it to still be light out after 5pm.

Scorpio Rising wrote:I almost love the planning phase as much as the execution!!!!  Dreams...
+1 to that!
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/1/2017, 8:39 pm

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:Fellow Northerners, I am not ready for Spring, but already thinking and scheming for it none the less!  I hate the short dark days. 
Yes! It's those short dark days that are getting to me! It's not so much that I want spring sooner, I just want it to still be light out after 5pm.

Scorpio Rising wrote:I almost love the planning phase as much as the execution!!!!  Dreams...
+1 to that!
I completely agree, Beetles!  Nothing fails in the planning phase, LOL!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 12/2/2017, 9:53 am

LOOks like this Celebrity tomato plant has spring fever too:shock:tongue
Spring Fever Anyone? - Page 3 C9959e10
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Spring Fever Anyone? - Page 3 Empty Spring Fever Anyone?

Post  newbeone 12/2/2017, 10:20 am

Yebut I'm not done with the fall garden yet, But I guess You're right Brian have to get the table and grow lights set up in the garage, last year I started my first seeds indoors January 2, Sugar Snap Peas was planted outside Jan 4.
newbeone
newbeone

Male Posts : 202

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 12/2/2017, 10:32 am

newbeone wrote:Yebut I'm not done with the fall garden yet, But I guess You're right Brian have to get the table and grow lights set up in the garage, last year I started my first seeds indoors January 2, Sugar Snap Peas was planted outside Jan 4.
Yeah.  I’m still very new, this will be my first spring garden.  The best I can tell, and I could be wrong, but if I base my last frost date at 3/3 ( that’s a Saturday is why I picked that day )  my peas will go out like 1/27.  So I’m guessing your last frost date is like the beginning of February ???  Is that right or am I thinking about putting my peas out a little late?
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 12/7/2017, 9:15 pm

Just got my first Baker Creek catalog. WOW! That puppy is definitely spring fever therapy. It's huge, with great articles and gorgeous pictures. I had no idea they had a California presence. I spent an hour with it and never even got to the seed section. I think I'm in love. I love you
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/7/2017, 10:52 pm

Got mine too!  Also have Pinetree catalog .....

Lots of options!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Spring Fever Anyone? - Page 3 Empty Spring Fever Anyone?

Post  newbeone 12/8/2017, 11:16 am

Hi Brian: It looks like we're in the same Zone, I'm starting my third year down here but the first year I was just spinning my wheels so I don't count it. the second year was a lot better thanks to the good people here on the forum. Last year our winter consisted of two days January 6th and 7th it got down to 21* and 25* Then it started to warm up that's when I planted my sugar snap peas and they produced very well until around May then it started to get hot, hope the info helps in your planning.
newbeone
newbeone

Male Posts : 202

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 12/9/2017, 7:35 pm

newbeone wrote:Hi Brian: It looks like we're in the same Zone, I'm starting my third year down here but the first year I was just spinning my wheels so I don't count it. the second year was a lot better thanks to the good people here on the forum. Last year our winter consisted of two days January 6th and 7th it got down to 21* and 25* Then it started to warm up that's when I planted my sugar snap peas and they produced very well until around May then it started to get hot, hope the info helps in your planning.
Yeah.  I don’t have my plans in front of me (too lazy to walk out to the truck :-)) but I think my plan calls for me to put the peas out the last weekend in January.  I am planting something like “melting sugar” peas. If that’s not the exact name, it really close.   I base all of my planning on a 3/3 last frost.  I’ve seen it predicted anywhere between 2/15 and 3/15 depending on the source.
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  bigdogrock 12/10/2017, 10:55 am

Wow Brian, I like your style on prep for next spring. Keep up all the great posts. Up here in New England we will be lucky to average much above really cold in February. It is nice to see how you have been going so strong in SFG.

Winter solstice 2017 in the Northern Hemisphere will be at 11:28 AM on Thursday, December 21. Just knowing that the days will start to get longer after this makes me feel like garden planning for next year, insanity takes many strange forms. sunny
bigdogrock
bigdogrock

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 12/10/2017, 12:50 pm

bigdogrock wrote:Wow Brian, I like your style on prep for next spring. Keep up all the great posts. Up here in New England we will be lucky to average much above really cold in February. It is nice to see how you have been going so strong in SFG.

Winter solstice 2017 in the Northern Hemisphere will be at 11:28 AM on Thursday, December 21. Just knowing that the days will start to get longer after this makes me feel like garden planning for next year, insanity takes many strange forms. sunny
Thanks big dog!  It snowed here Friday, so I will be chopping down the tomtoes today, but I still have some winter stuff going so I can entirely clean out the bed. I will be posting a question about how to get the mix ready for next year at some point today.  Keep an eye out please.
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  ThatsMeJenniG 12/14/2017, 3:46 pm

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:

On the other hand - I'm NOT ready for spring yet!  hiding There's still landscape beds to clear, raised beds to top off, more seeds to be ordered, tulle to be purchased and sewn, pots to sort and clean, bumblebee nests to make, and my to-do-calendar document to revise. I start my onions and leeks from seed at the start of February. I won't be starting tomatoes until March.
Beetles,
What sort of shape and size do you sew your tulle into and what all do you use it on?  And, what sort of bumblebee nests do you make and with what do you make them?  

I'm itching to start some seeds and some side projects might help to curb my enthusiasm Wink
ThatsMeJenniG
ThatsMeJenniG

Female Posts : 14

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbomb116 12/14/2017, 4:03 pm

I got major spring fever myself and we've barely even been cold.  Cold enough put an end to the garden for a while now,  but it's been a really warm winter so far.   My plan for January/early February is to clear out a spot in my basement for some grow lights and to actually purchase the grow lights and get them setup.  Last week of Febuary I should finally be able to start some leeks and broccoli! Which 2.5 months doesn't seem all that long Smile although it'll still be bitterly cold outside at that point, spring will come!
Robbomb116
Robbomb116

Male Posts : 364

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/17/2017, 10:59 am

Spring  fever nearly took hold early this year ,   glad I resisted ,  carrots weren't sown till late April & very few germinates as it's been so cool & wet. Got some great Christmas day Brussels sprouts & Boxing day celery  come through though .

Now judging by the cold wet gnawing cold we've had this last month in South Wales  I think we are in for a stonking  snowy , icy cold late spring 2018 like we had in 1963
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/19/2017, 9:27 pm

Robbomb116 wrote:I got major spring fever myself and we've barely even been cold.  Cold enough put an end to the garden for a while now,  but it's been a really warm winter so far.   My plan for January/early February is to clear out a spot in my basement for some grow lights and to actually purchase the grow lights and get them setup.  Last week of Febuary I should finally be able to start some leeks and broccoli! Which 2.5 months doesn't seem all that long Smile although it'll still be bitterly cold outside at that point, spring will come!
I love love love that!  Planning the grow light usage.  Starting with earlies, then on and on!  You ever grow leeks, Rob?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/19/2017, 9:28 pm

plantoid wrote:Spring  fever nearly took hold early this year ,   glad I resisted ,  carrots weren't sown till late April & very few germinates as it's been so cool & wet. Got some great Christmas day Brussels sprouts & Boxing day celery  come through though .

Now judging by the cold wet gnawing cold we've had this last month in South Wales  I think we are in for a stonking  snowy , icy cold late spring 2018 like we had in 1963
Stonking!  My new favorite adjective!  Spring Fever Anyone? - Page 3 3170584802
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbomb116 12/20/2017, 12:05 pm

I grew some last year.  They were a fast growing variety that claimed you could direct sow them. Well in my are at least there wasn't really a long enough growing season for them to get as big as I wanted.  They were still good, just small.  I'm going to start them inside next year to hopefully get them bigger.
Robbomb116
Robbomb116

Male Posts : 364

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 12/21/2017, 4:38 pm

My first trellis is ready for spring.  Well I have to add the netting and the nylon twine running to the fence , but the frame is ready Very Happy.  I will be running peas and pole beans up them and over toward the fence.  
Spring Fever Anyone? - Page 3 C38eef10
Starting onion seeds in two days!cheers
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next