Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How's the Weather Where You're At? - Page 39 Toplef10How's the Weather Where You're At? - Page 39 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How's the Weather Where You're At? - Page 39 I22gcj10How's the Weather Where You're At? - Page 39 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How's the Weather Where You're At? - Page 39 Toplef10How's the Weather Where You're At? - Page 39 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How's the Weather Where You're At? - Page 39 I22gcj10How's the Weather Where You're At? - Page 39 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

How's the Weather Where You're At?

+57
farmersgranddaughter
countrynaturals
donnainzone5
Scorpio Rising
trolleydriver
Turan
plantoid
has55
Kelejan
SQWIB
yolos
DorothyG
No_Such_Reality
TinySpock
21Actual
LizDTM
brianj555
CrazyArtist
dixie
Abiqua Ike
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Fiz
hammock gal
Sweetmama
SwampTroll
Zmoore
Mimi2
Robbomb116
meatburner
mlpii66
AlwaysHotinFL
JohnKelly
Banned Member
TCgardening
recoush
RC3291
ralitaco
GWN
Ginger Blue
reynajrainwater
p14shooter
herblover
Cajun Cappy
MrBooker
bigdogrock
newbeone
BeetlesPerSqFt
littlejo
MeghanSTL
llama momma
CitizenKate
CapeCoddess
kauairosina
walshevak
Mellen
camprn
RoOsTeR
61 posters

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

How's the Weather Where You're At? - Page 39 Empty Re: How's the Weather Where You're At?

Post  Yardslave 3/5/2018, 11:45 am

I thought about putting the seedlings out under "hot hats" to keep warm enough to survive outdoors, but it's too iffy. Still, I hate to see these seedlings get leggy or pot-bound waiting in the weather to warm up.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

How's the Weather Where You're At? - Page 39 Empty Re: How's the Weather Where You're At?

Post  countrynaturals 3/5/2018, 12:55 pm

Yardslave wrote:I thought about putting the seedlings out under "hot hats" to keep warm enough to survive outdoors, but it's too iffy. Still, I hate to see these seedlings get leggy or pot-bound waiting in the weather to warm up.
That was always my problem until I got those fancy LED grow lights. Between those and the 6 weeks of sunshine we started with this year, all of my seedlings are looking as good as store-bought nursery plants. That has never happened before.  happy turtle
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 3/5/2018, 3:30 pm

It's warmed up to a balmy 9 oC today , the ice on the pond has gone  save for a tiny bit under the water fall . It's been raining on & off all day long .

This evening Munchkin saw a big bloated toad / frog  in the pond margins , so it's likely that there will be spawn in the pond by the end of the week .  Lets hope the frost & snow does not return & kill it off.  . 

WRT frozen fish ... Counting the casualties .
Unfortunately due to a lot of fish being encased in thick pond ice we lost six large golden yellow Corfe up to a foot long , three five inch long  red long tailed KoiI & four  four inch long black  Ghost Koi  but we managed to retain about 18 smaller ones . Half a dozen or more of which were frozen solid in the ice .

Talking to friends who are marine scientists or fresh water fisheries research technicians  ....It seems that the bigger fish needed more oxygen than was in the icy water just before it froze & that's why they never recovered . They died before they could produce enough antifreeze in their bodies to enable survival  at the thaw.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/5/2018, 6:55 pm

plantoid wrote:It's warmed up to a balmy 9 oC today , the ice on the pond has gone  save for a tiny bit under the water fall . It's been raining on & off all day long .

This evening Munchkin saw a big bloated toad / frog  in the pond margins , so it's likely that there will be spawn in the pond by the end of the week .  Lets hope the frost & snow does not return & kill it off.  . 

WRT frozen fish ... Counting the casualties .
Unfortunately due to a lot of fish being encased in thick pond ice we lost six large golden yellow Corfe up to a foot long , three five inch long  red long tailed KoiI & four  four inch long black  Ghost Koi  but we managed to retain about 18 smaller ones . Half a dozen or more of which were frozen solid in the ice .

Talking to friends who are marine scientists or fresh water fisheries research technicians  ....It seems that the bigger fish needed more oxygen than was in the icy water just before it froze & that's why they never recovered . They died before they could produce enough antifreeze in their bodies to enable survival  at the thaw.
Well that sucks.  Just sayin’.

Weather seasonal here....serious cold at night, 40-ish during the day if sunny.  Same old.

Hope y’all in the face of disaster out weather stay safe!  Take care!!!!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/6/2018, 8:45 am

Sorry to hear it, Plantoid!!

It's raining here this morning. We've got the mess that will be moving into New England in the next day or so. Looks like it may join up with the snow system that's currently to the west of & covering the Great Lakes region.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 3/6/2018, 6:09 pm

Got a call at 10 20 this morning from the guys at our Mens shed group ...
" Dave we're flooded out" .   " Yeah , yeah !" I thought, " Pull the other leg it's got bells on it " .   The building is half way up a400 foot hill .

On getting there , there is a fire rescue truck & half  dozen firemen & four mens shed guys  playing the time honoured game of " Help push the water out the front door ".

The whole building some 2,000 square feet  ( eight big rooms ) had almost four inches of water on the floor . Our Beast from the East had visited us big time . .

It froze the underground water supply at the incoming pipe close to the ground and split it about 18 inches along its length . I guess it had been flooding since Friday morning when the thaw started .
 Having turned the water supply to the building off we got to work helping the firemen as best as we could .
Several hours later  we " Shedders " finished the job by water vacuuming the floors as dry as we could get them ....now it's a case of slowly let them dry naturally without heat  for a couple of months as they are all parquet mahogany floors some 150 years old .

It must have been viciously cold at the shed building ,  for we had left a couple of 60 watt lights bulbs on as heaters in the little toilet where the incoming water pipe is
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/7/2018, 8:19 am

Oh, noooo... Oh, Plantoid, I'm SO sorry!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 3/7/2018, 11:30 am

Oh Boy! sorry to hear about the flooding , Plantoid. I hope that the mess is cleaned up quickly and things get back to "normal" soon for you. I've been through a flood once and it's hard to know where to start with the cleanup; "just have to eat the elephant one bite at a time".
Yardslave
Yardslave

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/7/2018, 3:08 pm

AtlantaMarie wrote:Oh, noooo...  Oh, Plantoid, I'm SO sorry!
+1

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/7/2018, 3:17 pm

plantoid wrote:they are all parquet mahogany floors some 150 years old .
That's a heart-break. I'm guessing everything else will recover. Let us know how the floors do.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/7/2018, 3:52 pm

countrynaturals wrote:
That's a heart-break. I'm guessing everything else will recover. Let us know how the floors do.
Maybe being mahagony, they will survive. Are the walls sheetrock and did they get wet? It may be a good move to neatly remove any wet sheetrock so the interiors of the walls can dry. Then replace new strips of sheetrock when everything is good and dry. https://www.epa.gov/mold/water-damage-table-mold-prevention-mold-remediation-schools-and-commercial-buildings

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 3/7/2018, 4:10 pm

My whole neighborhood, 249 homes, lost power for 3 full days from that last nor'easter.  Just got it back Monday night, and now we're starting up with another nor'easter.  Mad
So glad I didn't start my seeds yet...

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 3/8/2018, 12:53 pm

sanderson wrote:
countrynaturals wrote:
Maybe being mahagony, they will survive.  Are the walls sheetrock and did they get wet?  It may be a good move to neatly remove any wet sheetrock so the interiors of the walls can dry.  Then replace new strips of sheetrock when everything is good and dry.  https://www.epa.gov/mold/water-damage-table-mold-prevention-mold-remediation-schools-and-commercial-buildings
 Has to smile " are the walls sheet rock ? " ... no they are built from girt big 30 inch blocks of Welsh black limestone all 25 foot in height & all internal walls are the same walls .
 Getting the fire brigade lads in  helped , so did the fact that the whole of the flooring was sealed with many years of floor varnish & dirt .

When I went there this morning i found that the lads had been busy yesterday using some hired water vacuum cleaners as well as opening all the doors & windows for 8 hours to let the lovely 10.5 o C  westerly wind blow through .. that took out a tremendous amount of water .

For overnight they put in a 3KW dehumidifier .. filling a 25 litre can with about 18 litres overnight and another 12 till we left at 15.00 hrs after emptying the can yet again .
 however today the place ha been shut up as it's been sleety  so I set up the 7 kw kerosene heater
space heater .. That made a massive difference in getting he water to evaporate . I'm going back tonight to empty the can again & leave it on overnight .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/8/2018, 3:47 pm

plantoid wrote:
sanderson wrote:. . . Are the walls sheetrock and did they get wet?
 Has to smile " are the walls sheet rock ? " ... no they are built from girt big 30 inch blocks of Welsh black limestone all 25 foot in height & all internal walls are the same walls .
Embarassed  AT least you just smiled instead of laughing. Embarassed

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/8/2018, 3:47 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:My whole neighborhood, 249 homes, lost power for 3 full days from that last nor'easter.  Just got it back Monday night, and now we're starting up with another nor'easter.  Mad
So glad I didn't start my seeds yet...CC
okay

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/8/2018, 4:04 pm

sanderson wrote:
CapeCoddess wrote:My whole neighborhood, 249 homes, lost power for 3 full days from that last nor'easter.  Just got it back Monday night, and now we're starting up with another nor'easter.  Mad
So glad I didn't start my seeds yet...CC
okay
Last night's news said you're getting yet another one next week.  Sad
We still have winter through St. Paddy's Day. Who knows what's next.  Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 3/8/2018, 5:56 pm

Snowing yesterday, today and tomorrow.
How's the Weather Where You're At? - Page 39 Img_2090

How's the Weather Where You're At? - Page 39 Img_2089
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/8/2018, 10:16 pm

Here, it just has been super schizophrenic ...super blizzard for 5 minutes, sunny the next 1/2 hour, more squalls, pellets of snow thingies???Repeat.  Repeat.  Repeat.  And just 30 MPH winds...COLD.  No snow sticking on the pavement.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/10/2018, 3:00 pm

SR, pellets of snow thingies? Hail?

TD, Thank you for posting snow photos. I love you

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/10/2018, 9:41 pm

sanderson wrote:SR, pellets of snow thingies?  Hail?

TD,  Thank you for posting snow photos.  I love you
I heard another term on the weather, but I didn't understand it. I guess there's more out there than just snow, sleat, and hail.  Shocked
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 3/10/2018, 11:24 pm

"pellets of snow thingies", we call graupel. I just learned how to spell it. LOL. That is where hail, snow, sleet all meet in one thing.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2616

Back to top Go down

How's the Weather Where You're At? - Page 39 Empty Spring..??

Post  MrBooker 3/11/2018, 8:04 am

My onion chives peeked out a few weeks ago. Daffodils and Tiger lilies are coming up also. Even my Elm trees are getting little buds on them. I guess when we get older, we pay a lot more attention to things like that.
We had below zero temps Dec and Jan but set a record high in Feb with 80* F.  Strange.

Our local Rural King big box store had garden seed out Jan 15th.  A few weeks ago they had the yellow, white and red Onion bulbs and seed potato's. I bought some red and Yukon gold potato's to plant in my half barrels.  Also bought one lb of yellow and a lb of white Onion bulbs to put out next weekend.... I LOVES my un'yons.

Getting ready to dig in about 10 bags of compost left over from last year plus I have a huge pile of mulched leaves from last year. Can't wait for my grass to start growing so I can start my compost pile.

Remember last year, I gave away about 6 or 7 of my raised beds but I still have 14 half barrels and four 4x8 beds.
 Spring.....?    I'm READY.
MrBooker
MrBooker

Male Posts : 734

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/11/2018, 3:58 pm

Turan wrote:"pellets of snow thingies", we call graupel.  I just learned how to spell it.  LOL.  That is where hail, snow, sleet all meet in one thing.  
Yeah, they weren’t exactly hail...more, porous?  Just kinda pithy hail-ish.  Or concentrated snowflakes?  IDK.  

Anyways, cold, sunny here.  Might actually look at my beds next weekend to see if I can get the peas, spinaches and radishes in!cheers
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 3/11/2018, 4:13 pm

The sun is up and has chased almost all the clouds away. Temps a nice 70 degrees- big change from yesterday's 53 degrees and rain ALL DAY LONG! I have the 15th and 16th set as days to transplant per the Farmer's Almanac The tomatoes, cukes, eggplants,and zucchini I started under grow lights and heat mats are going to be hardened off in the meantime and I hope that a late frost doesn't hit like it did the last 2 years in a row. Got to pop some onions and leeks in also.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Back to top Go down

How's the Weather Where You're At? - Page 39 Empty Spring..??

Post  MrBooker 3/12/2018, 9:19 am

Didnt look like spring here yesterday.
How's the Weather Where You're At? - Page 39 Snow_t10

How's the Weather Where You're At? - Page 39 Snow_o10
MrBooker
MrBooker

Male Posts : 734

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next