Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in August 2016? - Page 5 Toplef10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in August 2016? - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in August 2016? - Page 5 I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in August 2016? - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in August 2016? - Page 5 Toplef10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in August 2016? - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in August 2016? - Page 5 I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in August 2016? - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in August 2016?

+9
countrynaturals
AtlantaMarie
Scorpio Rising
has55
yolos
StrongAsMeat
Kelejan
sanderson
trolleydriver
13 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in August 2016? - Page 5 Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in August 2016?

Post  Kelejan 8/28/2016, 10:32 pm

Good going, TD.  by the time you get ready to give up SFGing, the next generations can keep you in veggies etc.

Good long-term thing there. Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in August 2016? - Page 5 Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in August 2016?

Post  Kelejan 8/28/2016, 10:44 pm

I have just been looking at our Fall Fair entry list.  This takes place at the end of September.

I really am going to make an effort this year to put in some entries as the organizers  deserve to be supported by the local residents. 

My provisional list;

VEGGIES:
Potatoes any kind (4)
Tomatoes, Regular (4)
Garlic Bulbs (2)
Peppers, Green (2)

FLOWERS:
Chrysanths (4 stems)
Geranium  (i plant in pot)

Preserves:
Cherries, Peaches, Tomatoes, Green bean and Beet Pickles, (1 jar of each)

Now I will be looking closely at my garden to make sure I do not pick/eat the best I have.

Even if my best is not good enough I will have helped them with extra entries they would not have had otherwise. I have gone to the Fair most years and I often feel that they do not have enough support and it is unfair of me to criticize them when I am part of the problem with good intentions but not following through.  Putting this down in writing will give me the incentive to do something about it.  I have all of you to answer to.

Last edited by Kelejan on 8/29/2016, 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 8/28/2016, 11:51 pm

Sounds like a great plan Kelejan. You certainly have the right attitude. I wish you success.   Very Happy

On another topic ... the weather here in Ottawa is starting to change. Later this week and for the first time in many weeks, our overnight temps are going to drop into the single digits Celsius. The forecast for Thursday night is for 9 Celsius (48 F).

And Mrs TD and I start another trip this week so the SFG will have to take care of itself for about a week. My son and his family will harvest the veggies.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/30/2016, 12:13 am

Our weather in the B.C. Southern Interior is dropping from September 1st to below
75F so my tomatoes should start ripening.

A couple more days of 30C weather and the I think summer is over. Much cooler in the mornings but so far has been heating up until the hottest temperature late afternoon.

I had better start thinking about tidying up the garden for winter. Sad   It's funny how high summer seems to last for ever then a sudden change and summer is gone.

The bears are making their presence felt as they stock up for winter.  I am hoping the momma bear and her one cub that have been roaming our vicinity can make it through this time as that is when some people complain and that gets the bears put down when it is not their fault that people leave fruit on their trees.

Last edited by Kelejan on 8/31/2016, 1:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/30/2016, 12:54 am

Kelejan wrote:Good going, TD.  by the time you get ready to give up SFGing, the next generations can keep you in veggies etc.

Good long-term thing there. Very Happy
I almost replied that when he is too old for heavy gardening, the kids will already know how to help care for the garden. Pass it on.

I think that is neat that you are going to have some entries in the Fall Fair! Very Happy I noticed at our Fair, that the same people provide all the entries year after year, whether is is produce, cakes, jams, flowers, quilts, paintings, sculptures, etc.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi2 8/30/2016, 1:44 am

trolleydriver wrote:Good news!

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in August 2016? - Page 5 Cid_41ED87D1-B4B5-4988-8BDB-D726C04

Two of our grandchildren live fairly close to us so they are usually here visiting once or twice per week. They really like to go out the garden and pick the veggies (peas, cuces, tomatoes, beans, etc.). Their mother told me today that she wants them to have their own SFG at their house next year. I suggested two 2x4 boxes (one each) c/w Mel's Mix. So it looks like I will be helping to build more SFG beds next year.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in August 2016? - Page 5 Jumping-for-joy-smiley-emoticon
SFGing is great for kids. My kids love it Smile I'm sure your grandchildren will be very excited about there very own boxes too. As mentioned before I built each of mine their own 2 by 2 box, and then I let them paint them. The little guy really enjoyed the painting (and was surprisingly good at it- even though he was only 3 years old at the time) The kids boxes have bottoms, and we move them around the driveway (to catch as many rays as possible). SFGing is also a learning opportunity for the kids. We talk about our plants a lot, how they're growing, what they need, etc. Recently my daughter said she wants to be a scientist when when she grows up (and I think that may have to do with our conversations around gardening). Good luck on your new boxes for the kids!
Mimi2
Mimi2

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/31/2016, 1:33 am

Harvested my fingerling potatoes today and got several pounds from the half-box.  I will try and get four matched ones for the Pass Creek Fair entry.  I will pick the largest four that are of equal size, and if not then the largest four matches that I can find.

Any idea how I should care for them until then end of September apart from not eating them?  I guess I should keep them in a cool and dark place and make sure they do not get damaged.

The list that I made are only possibles; e.g. I do not know if the chysanths will actually get any blooms in time as so far I can only just see see possible blooms.  Most likely I will pick some stems and bring them into the house.

I think the regular tomatoes will be OK as I seem to have  pounds coming along, one has turned pink today.  They are an unknown variety, unless I see the lady that gave me the plants and she remembers what they are.  They are very large and all four plants are not very well supported and are leaning every-which-way.  I continue to water every day so that they do not split.

Sanderson, you are right that the same people always seem to win.  I remember a little bit of bitching last year when the names of the Aggregate Winners were announced.  If more people took part then perhaps there would be different winners.  Me, I am going for the fun of it; if I win one fourth place I will be happy and try to do better next year.

OFF TOPIC
These aggregate winners have been doing it all their lives as most of them are Doukhobors (a Russian sect who were expelled from Russia just over a hundred years ago) who have been  brought up in that manner of living and are very proud of what they do. They were pacifists and burnt their guns and so were banished.  They mostly settled in Alberta then some of them split and came to B.C. I like them and get on well with them.  I rented premises from them when I started my little business, and all we needed was a handshake. When I sold the business, the next tenant had a seven-page three-year tenancy agreement.  After my DH died, this person ran the business into the ground and was on the verge of bankruptcy, I bought it back and once again my landlords and I had a handshake agreement.  Just a few figures scribbled on a piece paper with the monthly rent and an open ended one month notice on my side if I wanted to pack up.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/31/2016, 1:57 am

I Binged Doukhobors and again, on this Forum, I learned something new. A 4th place would be great because you could only go up. Heck, if I won the "Nice Try" ribbon, I'd be happy. Razz

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/31/2016, 11:35 pm

Continuing now on CANADIAN REGION What are you doing in September 2016
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5