Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Minnesotan - 2nd yr. of sq.ft. garden - newbie Toplef10Minnesotan - 2nd yr. of sq.ft. garden - newbie 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Minnesotan - 2nd yr. of sq.ft. garden - newbie I22gcj10Minnesotan - 2nd yr. of sq.ft. garden - newbie 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Minnesotan - 2nd yr. of sq.ft. garden - newbie Toplef10Minnesotan - 2nd yr. of sq.ft. garden - newbie 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Minnesotan - 2nd yr. of sq.ft. garden - newbie I22gcj10Minnesotan - 2nd yr. of sq.ft. garden - newbie 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Minnesotan - 2nd yr. of sq.ft. garden - newbie

+2
shocks20
jkdistad
6 posters

Go down

Minnesotan - 2nd yr. of sq.ft. garden - newbie Empty Minnesotan - 2nd yr. of sq.ft. garden - newbie

Post  jkdistad 5/10/2010, 1:33 pm

Hello, newbie from Minnesota here... I'm in my 2nd year of square foot gardening. My first attempt last year was a mixed bag, but mostly GREAT! I started off very small, only 2 4x4 boxes. My biggest failure was my corn and bush beans.... total flop, but I think some disease got the corn, as the ears totally looked like cancerous tumors (YUCK!)... the beans, who knows, they just never took off. The carrots experienced a wash-out due to the over-zealous watering contributions of a friend's 3yr. old, and I don't think I did really thin the survivors well enough... lesson learned. Everything else did pretty well.... my broccoli was the gift that kept on giving (love those side shoots!) and my spinach went great guns! The zucchini and yellow summer squash had their moments, but may have been a bit crowded (2 plants in a 4-sq.ft. space). The poor tomato just didn't stand a chance against the cool summer we had last year, and the strange vine-rot they kept getting on their bottoms, and by the time we got our first snow in October, I had over 2 dozen green tennis ball size fruits that I had to harvest all at once to keep them from freezing (they ripened decently in my veggie basket in my kitchen).

All in all, it was a great experience, and this year we are doubling the garden (for a total of 4 4x4 boxes). I'm also trying lots of new veggies, as well as several of last year's tried and true favorites! I'm looking forward to lots of great advice and ideas here on this forum from all you wonderfully experienced gardeners. Now I'm off to the general forums to ask some questions about potatoes and parsnips!

Cheers! Minnesotan - 2nd yr. of sq.ft. garden - newbie 61949

Jennifer
jkdistad
jkdistad

Female Posts : 69

Back to top Go down

Minnesotan - 2nd yr. of sq.ft. garden - newbie Empty Re: Minnesotan - 2nd yr. of sq.ft. garden - newbie

Post  shocks20 5/10/2010, 3:26 pm

Welcome to another Minnesotan!! I am in the same boat as you...had two 4x4 boxes last year and doubled it this year. Hopefully everything does even better this year than last for you!! Minnesotan - 2nd yr. of sq.ft. garden - newbie Icon_biggrin
shocks20
shocks20

http://www.jtrbaby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Minnesotan - 2nd yr. of sq.ft. garden - newbie Empty Re: Minnesotan - 2nd yr. of sq.ft. garden - newbie

Post  jkdistad 5/10/2010, 3:36 pm

LOL! had to start out small to convince DH! He says I'm great at going big... too big! hehe... we're good at getting in over our heads, so I knew if we were going to be successful, we had to exercise some restraint! It may be small, but it is amazing what you can pack into that small space! Minnesotan - 2nd yr. of sq.ft. garden - newbie Icon_biggrin

Thanks for the welcome!
jkdistad
jkdistad

Back to top Go down

Minnesotan - 2nd yr. of sq.ft. garden - newbie Empty Welcome!

Post  auntiemommy 5/10/2010, 3:50 pm

Welcome from another fellow MN! I am in the southeast part of the state.
I am new to SFG this year, but have been gardening for well over 10 years. I have 2 4 x 8 boxes and a 4 x 6 box this year and am already planning my addition for next year. Minnesotan - 2nd yr. of sq.ft. garden - newbie Icon_redface
auntiemommy
auntiemommy

Female Posts : 57

Back to top Go down

Post  milaneyjane 5/10/2010, 5:14 pm

Hi from another MN gardener. Don't feel bad about the corn. I lost an entire 20ft x40ft garden of corn last year due to the poor weather. What did grow in ours was horrible. We usually have phenominal corn. I have gone back to the tried and true "Gotta Have It" variety---super good! Minnesotan - 2nd yr. of sq.ft. garden - newbie Icon_tongue
milaneyjane
milaneyjane

Back to top Go down

Minnesotan - 2nd yr. of sq.ft. garden - newbie Empty from MN also

Post  faith8080 5/10/2010, 9:06 pm

Hi, I'm from MN, too, and this is my second year! I started with 1 4x4 and 1 2x8. My best crops last year were grape tomatoes and cucumbers. The rest of the crops were, shall we say, learning experiences? Things I learned: fence to keep rabbits out, plant more of certain things (beans, peas), pay more attention to timing of planting.
faith8080

Female Posts : 6

Back to top Go down

Post  new2this 5/11/2010, 7:54 am

Welcome, MN gardeners!
It'll be nice to swap ideas/tips from so many of you in my zone......I am a first time gardener, so this'll be interesting. My bed is doing good so far. And I'm patiently waiting for some warm weather to get my toms going....love those toms!!
I wish we had a longer growing season here, but I shouldn't complain - I do like MN!!

Nice to "meet" you, and good luck with things.

Tonya
new2this

Female Posts : 215

Back to top Go down

Post  jkdistad 5/11/2010, 12:31 pm

Thanks for the welcome, everyone! Minnesotan - 2nd yr. of sq.ft. garden - newbie Icon_smile

Yes, a fence against the rabbits is a must, not to mention the deer! Where we live (right smack in the suburbs!), we have a HUGE deer problem! There is a herd of approx. 70 that roam behind my house. I have to have a 4ft. tall fence around my garden site just to make sure the deer cannot reach over/into it to help themselves. I also make sure my boxes are about 2 feet from the fence just to increase the distance. Seems to be working so far! I'm looking to replace the fence this year (since we are expanding a bit), and am having trouble finding 4ft. tall anything of any quality that doesn't cost an arm and a leg! I also have 5 children, and the younger ones are highly interested in the garden and push on the fence, so not only does it have to deter the deer and rabbits, but also a 3 yr. old and an 18 mo. old! LOL!

We scrapped the corn this year.... maybe we will try again another year when we expand the garden even further... maybe if/when we move to another house/more permanent location and can justify really investing in a garden site. I'll keep that "gotta have it" variety in mind!

And yes, I wish this weather would hurry up and get nice.... it sure is hard to get any decent gardening done, with it drizzling and only 40 degrees out!
jkdistad
jkdistad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down