Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Landscape Fabric versus Tilling ground Toplef10Landscape Fabric versus Tilling ground 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Landscape Fabric versus Tilling ground I22gcj10Landscape Fabric versus Tilling ground 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Landscape Fabric versus Tilling ground Toplef10Landscape Fabric versus Tilling ground 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Landscape Fabric versus Tilling ground I22gcj10Landscape Fabric versus Tilling ground 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Today at 7:58 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by markqz Today at 2:19 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson Today at 2:06 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Landscape Fabric versus Tilling ground

+5
AtlantaMarie
Scorpio Rising
sanderson
CapeCoddess
1loloblonde
9 posters

Go down

Landscape Fabric versus Tilling ground Empty Landscape Fabric versus Tilling ground

Post  1loloblonde 2/8/2016, 2:18 pm

After reading the first book on SFG I am a little confused.  The book states that when starting your SFG you need to turn the soil and amending it - but after looking at the forum many people are using landscape fabric with no digging.  What is the best way to start it out??  Thanks
1loloblonde
1loloblonde

Back to top Go down

Landscape Fabric versus Tilling ground Empty Re: Landscape Fabric versus Tilling ground

Post  CapeCoddess 2/8/2016, 2:47 pm

Most of us on the forum don't use the first SFG book.  We are using the 'All New Square Foot Gardening' books, 1st and 2nd eds.  See if you can get a copy from your library then everything you see on the forum will make more sense.

btw, welcome!
happy hi
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Landscape Fabric versus Tilling ground Empty Re: Landscape Fabric versus Tilling ground

Post  sanderson 2/8/2016, 4:47 pm

Ditto on what CC wrote. The All New SFG version is what most of us use. I encourage every new SFG to get a copy of it because this method is what Mel promotes now. No more earth turning!! Easy amending. Goes everywhere, including driveways, patios, balconies or on top of plain dirt or hard pan or clay. Very Happy

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21556

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/8/2016, 6:09 pm

Agree! Much easier with All New.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8731

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 2/9/2016, 9:07 am

Oh, yes! No tilling, no worrying about pH balances.... All New SFG is SO much easier!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/9/2016, 1:57 pm

glad you\'re here 1loloblonde  happy hi
from Kelejan :canada:

Oh, definitely use the latest edition. I missed digging up my garden by the skin of my teeth, as I had the first edition and was already prepared to dig the next day, but looked on the Internet and found there was a later edition with the new info about preparing my first bed. Saved me hours of work and labour. Very Happy

In addition I found this great group.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Landscape Fabric versus Tilling ground Empty Brand new gardener

Post  Mellen 3/20/2016, 10:16 am

OK...I'm a little confused here.  Another new gardener asked a question.  Instead of receiving an answer, she had 5 people refer her to the NEW SFG book (which I have, by the way).

I was going to answer the actual question, then decided I had better find out if that is allowed.

If the moderator (Sanderson--hey FRESNO; I'm in Visalia!) could maybe send me a private reply please?  I don't want to break any rules and get kicked off the site!  LOL

THANKS!
Mellen
Mellen

Female Posts : 128

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/20/2016, 10:40 am

glad you\'re here mellen   happy hi
from Kelejan :canada:

A very good question indeed, mellen.

When I first joined I had the same problem. For myself, I found that if I had no idea of the answer, I would wait for someone more knowledgeable to reply.

Then the day came when I could answer, knowing that my reply was correct.

I  think it is quite in order for a newcomer  to reply to the question that you were confident you had the answer.  If you are by any chance wrong, then you will be put right, in a nice manner.  I know by experience that I have been wrong  sometimes and some one always corrects me and I say, "thank you" as I do not want to spread incorrect information  as there is a lot that I admit I am not sure about. I also learn something new to me at that time

IMO opinion, I believe a quick answer should be give to newcomers, as there is such a lot to learn about how this site operates before one can be comfortable.

So answer when you can, you will not be shouted down.

All the best to you from all of us.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 3/20/2016, 10:48 am

Hi Melen,  please feel free to answer the question however you want. Would love to hear your personal SFG experiences, too.  

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Landscape Fabric versus Tilling ground Empty Brand new Gardener

Post  Mellen 3/20/2016, 11:28 am

Thank you Kelejan & CC for your kindness.

CC:  I don't have any experiences yet.  I am just now starting gardening.  My first experience was planting lettuce, radishes & spinach in a 2'x3' box I bought at an antique store.  I thought I was a failure because nothing grew, but I diligently misted it anyway.  LOW & BEHOLD (!) yesterday I found little green plants peeking up.  Eureka!!!  

Full disclosure:  There were a lot less little plants than what I planted.  Maybe more will arrive?

So..since two pros said I could answer the question:  According to Mel's NEW book (pg. 81) the reason he now uses the weed barrier is so the weeds won't come up from the bottom of the box.  If they fly in (birds anyone) or blow in, they will be out of place, easy to see and remove.

Happy gardening ya'll.  I have to get all my plants in.  It's suppose to RAIN again (WHOO HOO!) this week.  Keep it comin'!
Mellen
Mellen

Female Posts : 128

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/20/2016, 3:50 pm

Hi Mellen.  Since you have already received replies, I won't PM you.  This is a good discussion in general.  If you know the answer (referencing the ANSFG book is always good), please help the new person out.  Some folks join the Forum without having read the book, so if their post seems to indicate that, then encouraging them to read the book is appropriate.

Here's my main rule - The Golden rule, Play Nice.  In my 3 years on the Forum, I have only encountered 3 new members who took their ball and went home after being kindly asked to not do or to do something.

Everyone has made an etiquette boo boo at some time.  Sometimes Camprn (Moderator) or I will (Admin) will move a reply, merge 2 identical duplicate topics, rename the Title, etc.  All part of housekeeping.  The Forum was started in 2010 and has a wealth of info accessible through the Search Box.  Some of the info is directly regarding SFG, other info is "out of the box".  Gardening in general, pests, recipes, and plain fun. Very Happy

Mellen,  Welcome to the Forum from Fresno!  glad you\'re here  All threads are "open" for discussion as long as the original topic is not high jacked.  Please join us on the ongoing "Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?", maybe post photos??  We all love to see photos.

PS: The original SFG book indicated tilling 6" of dirt first, then adding the Mel's Mix to it for a 12" depth. The All New SFG book is quite different and is what is promoted now. We no longer use any dirt, just the 6" of Mel's Mix with weed barrier at the bottom. Some long-time gardeners have both some of the older boxes plus some of the new.

Last edited by sanderson on 3/20/2016, 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/20/2016, 3:56 pm

glad you\'re here from Ohio, Mellen! This is a great site, glad you found us!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/20/2016, 4:00 pm

Hi Mellon. Welcome from Atlanta, GA!

I'd have to agree with what the others are saying. And we would love to hear about your experiences as you go along! We're here to help, cheer, console...

You know, in thinking about it, we really are a great group....
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Landscape Fabric versus Tilling ground Empty Okay so I got the No Tilling but now I still have to remove the grass and weeds under fabric??????

Post  1loloblonde 4/7/2016, 11:34 am

Okay the tilling issue has been cleared up....I bought the all 3 books..lol   But now my question is it still states I have to remove the grass and weeds under the landscape fabric, but the picture on page 61 on the 2nd addition book seems to look like the grass wasn't removed... Please anyone?  Thanks
1loloblonde
1loloblonde

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/7/2016, 4:43 pm

My take is to mow it short (and remove anything that is known to be very invasive). Don't lower the spot elevation wise or a soggy collection pond may form under the bed! Folks in the area? Anything that can come up through weed fabric with 6" on mix on top?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/7/2016, 5:13 pm

I am quite sure that if a hole is accidentally made in the fabric, or two pieces do not overlap sufficiently, then something can grow up.

Six inches of Mels Mix can easily have a hand-fork go through the fabric if one is not careful.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 4/7/2016, 8:46 pm

I did not have any type of invasive grass or weeds in the area that I set my raised beds.  So I mowed the grass as short as possible.  Then I got a powerful weed eater and sheared the grass down to the dirt.  Then I put down a thick layer of cardboard.  Then I set my bed on top of the cardboard.  My beds are 9.5 inches high.  I have done approximately 20 beds using this method.  I never had any grass or weeds come up from the bottom.  I did have tree roots invade the beds after about 3 years, but that is another discussion.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 4/8/2016, 1:17 pm

Yes, I have had problems with grass growing in my beds, especially this year.

Three years ago, I had the garden areas dug out, put weed cloth down, placed and filled the boxes.

Not too much grass appeared until this year; now I'm pulling out clumps and clumps!  I'm not sure how to deal with the problem at this point.  Suggestions, anyone?
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/8/2016, 2:14 pm

Donna, Maybe the grass is from seeds that are wind dispersed or when mowing the lawn? and, not from underneath? My 2' tall TTs are the cleanest. The 3 closest to ground in a windy and generally weedy, dirty area are the trouble ones.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 4/8/2016, 5:58 pm

Sanderson,

It just may be that the yard guy brought in seeds on his mower and trimmer!  I did discuss the possibility with him, but he minimized the issue.

Perhaps I should have him use my mower and other equipment....  Of course, he just changed businesses, and I'll have to break in someone new.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 4/8/2016, 8:20 pm

I have boxes with partial/broken bottoms (old window boxes) on the ground. I have grass invading from below. I can trace it down to the bottom of the boxes. It seems to come in from cracks in the sides, bottom, not sure. Contemplating doing a lift of said boxes onto cardboard, then goin' from there!

First year, golden. Weeds learn..... Evil or Very Mad
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/9/2016, 2:28 am

SR, If you go through the work of lifting them onto cardboard, you might as well go all the way and lift them off the ground a couple inches and installing plywood bottoms. ?? Just a thought.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down