Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
roots - Plant Roots: What are they for? Toplef10roots - Plant Roots: What are they for? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

roots - Plant Roots: What are they for? I22gcj10roots - Plant Roots: What are they for? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
roots - Plant Roots: What are they for? Toplef10roots - Plant Roots: What are they for? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

roots - Plant Roots: What are they for? I22gcj10roots - Plant Roots: What are they for? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener Today at 4:44 pm

» Spring Flowers
by sanderson Today at 4:12 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Today at 4:10 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Plant Roots: What are they for?

+7
NanSFG
donnainzone5
sanderson
kauairosina
Marc Iverson
Kelejan
camprn
11 posters

Go down

roots - Plant Roots: What are they for? Empty Plant Roots: What are they for?

Post  camprn 8/30/2015, 9:04 pm

Roots are so often out of sight, thus out of mind. What the roots do for a plant;
http://awaytogarden.com/understanding-roots-with-robert-kourik/

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

roots - Plant Roots: What are they for? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

roots - Plant Roots: What are they for? Empty Re: Plant Roots: What are they for?

Post  Kelejan 8/31/2015, 2:02 pm

Very interesting article.  Fascinating how far a carrot root can spread, and how far one needs to water and mulch trees, at the drip line and outwards.

No wonder so many trees get blown down when the storms come after prolonged drought.  Just like Kew Gardens in England many years ago and  a few days ago in the B.C. Lower Mainland.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

roots - Plant Roots: What are they for? Empty Re: Plant Roots: What are they for?

Post  Marc Iverson 9/22/2015, 1:04 pm

He's right that the science shows tree roots are generally surprisingly shallow. Our Master Gardener class professors told us they're usually within the top 18 inches of soil. I had previously believed the old supposed truisum Kourik mentioned, that the roots underneath were more or less a reflection of the canopy above. That would mean very deep roots of substantial girth. But no, it doesn't work that way at all ...

Interesting stuff to think about. Especially how you could possibly mulch a tree according to Kourik's recommendations -- that would take a huge area of mulch and an enormous amount of it!
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

roots - Plant Roots: What are they for? Empty roots

Post  kauairosina 9/26/2015, 12:57 pm

I will look for a photo from years ago.  A ficus, Benjamina, formerly a little bitty house plant that had managed to get to about 20 or more feet tall, managed to send its roots into one of  my elevated beds.  The bottom of the bed is a foot off the ground, the roots managed to sneak their way in through the welded wire at the bottom.  The picture shows my grandson struggling with excavating those hummers.  They had grown into roots with one to two inches diameter once they penetrated the wire.

We cut the ficus down.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Female Posts : 656

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/26/2015, 1:19 pm

That was one tenacious Ficus b. Shocked I always thought they were house plants only and then I saw one outdoors in LA, the size of a patio tree, where the weather is so mild.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21564

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 9/26/2015, 2:57 pm

Ficus is considered to be invasive.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

roots - Plant Roots: What are they for? Empty roots

Post  kauairosina 9/26/2015, 4:09 pm

Invasive?  Aggressively invasive.  I will be sending photos, via Sanderson, one of these days, of  some honkin' invasive roots.  Our contractor said "size of an anaconda"...
kauairosina
kauairosina

Female Posts : 656

Back to top Go down

Post  NanSFG 9/26/2015, 4:37 pm

Very interesting.  I will have to read the book.
NanSFG
NanSFG

Female Posts : 71

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 9/26/2015, 7:56 pm

Tree roots.
Back in the 60s I was involved in soft/hard clay stripping.  This was done by removing to earth on top of the clay.
It sometimes went down 150 feet, more or less depending on the cover.
Huge equipment was used and I ran a D-9 bulldozer which had power enough to go right through a 2 story house without even knowing it was there..
The top of the area to be mined was in the range of100 to 150 feet wide X 100 yards long.. This all depended upon how high cover was over the clay.
First chore was to remove trees that have been growing for hundreds of year, understand this activity occurred in areas only an occasional hunter may have traveled to. To remove a tree the blade of the bulldozer was lifted to it's highest level and then pushed being very careful not to go so far as to fell the tree leaving the bulldozer in a very precarious position. All that needed to be done was to have the tree leaning in the direction of the fall..
Once that was done the bulldozer backed up and proceeded to dig up trees root system opposite direction of the fall.
The tree eventually would fall leaving the main root ball exposed. root ball sizes were usually determined by the type of tree, I can tell you that they were huge, and I mean huge. Never have I seen any that compared to the size of the tree.
It was totally amazing though that such a proportionally smaller size could keep those huge trees standing. I'm certain there were many more roots remaining in the ground that were tips of what was dug up.
If tree roots went down as high as trees grew, there would never be stripping as we once did.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/26/2015, 9:37 pm

Great article! Thanks!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 9/27/2015, 1:36 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:Great article!  Thanks!
+1
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 10/1/2015, 1:18 pm

kauairosina wrote:I will look for a photo from years ago.  A ficus, Benjamina, formerly a little bitty house plant that had managed to get to about 20 or more feet tall, managed to send its roots into one of  my elevated beds.  The bottom of the bed is a foot off the ground, the roots managed to sneak their way in through the welded wire at the bottom.  The picture shows my grandson struggling with excavating those hummers.  They had grown into roots with one to two inches diameter once they penetrated the wire.

We cut the ficus down.
I don't blame you.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 10/2/2015, 7:47 pm

Marc Iverson wrote:He's right that the science shows tree roots are generally surprisingly shallow. Our Master Gardener class professors told us they're usually within the top 18 inches of soil.  I had previously believed the old supposed truisum Kourik mentioned, that the roots underneath were more or less a reflection of the canopy above.  That would mean very deep roots of substantial girth.  But no, it doesn't work that way at all ...

Interesting stuff to think about.  Especially how you could possibly mulch a tree according to Kourik's recommendations -- that would take a huge area of mulch and an enormous amount of it!

At school we used to be told that if you cut a tree in half along the bole length there wouid be as much below the ground as above it ..they lied Laughing.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4097

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down