Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Onion - Celery - Carrots - Possible to get new plant from planting roots? Toplef10Onion - Celery - Carrots - Possible to get new plant from planting roots? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Onion - Celery - Carrots - Possible to get new plant from planting roots? I22gcj10Onion - Celery - Carrots - Possible to get new plant from planting roots? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Onion - Celery - Carrots - Possible to get new plant from planting roots? Toplef10Onion - Celery - Carrots - Possible to get new plant from planting roots? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Onion - Celery - Carrots - Possible to get new plant from planting roots? I22gcj10Onion - Celery - Carrots - Possible to get new plant from planting roots? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 11:26 am

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 11:19 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Onion - Celery - Carrots - Possible to get new plant from planting roots?

+3
beccawhited
Nonna.PapaVino
Windmere
7 posters

Go down

Onion - Celery - Carrots - Possible to get new plant from planting roots? Empty Onion - Celery - Carrots - Possible to get new plant from planting roots?

Post  Windmere 3/14/2013, 12:20 pm

Hello all,

We forgot about an onion way in the back of our refrigerator. It was the bottom third (with the root). Well, it has sprouted shoots (quite a few actually). I was wondering, will this onion generate another plant if I plant it in Mel's Mix?

Also, I've seen pictures of celery root and carrot tops growing as well. Will these actually produce new produce, or will they simply produce greenery?

thinking
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Onion - Celery - Carrots - Possible to get new plant from planting roots? Empty Re: Onion - Celery - Carrots - Possible to get new plant from planting roots?

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 3/14/2013, 12:24 pm

Oh, how fun! Plant it and see what happens. My guess is it would proceed to bolt and produce seed, being as how it must be in its second year. Let us know what happens. Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Onion - Celery - Carrots - Possible to get new plant from planting roots? Empty Fascinating

Post  beccawhited 3/14/2013, 12:54 pm

I run a daycare out of my home. We used all our celery about 2 weeks ago and as an experiment we are growing it in the window in water so far we have sprouts. It's growing quickly I change out the water every other day or so.

1 Week
Onion - Celery - Carrots - Possible to get new plant from planting roots? 89291811

2 Weeks
Onion - Celery - Carrots - Possible to get new plant from planting roots? 88707411
beccawhited
beccawhited

Female Posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Onion - Celery - Carrots - Possible to get new plant from planting roots? Empty Re: Onion - Celery - Carrots - Possible to get new plant from planting roots?

Post  mollyhespra 3/14/2013, 1:08 pm

Windmere wrote:Hello all,

We forgot about an onion way in the back of our refrigerator. It was the bottom third (with the root). Well, it has sprouted shoots (quite a few actually). I was wondering, will this onion generate another plant if I plant it in Mel's Mix?

Also, I've seen pictures of celery root and carrot tops growing as well. Will these actually produce new produce, or will they simply produce greenery?

thinking

I'm actually doing this experiment with onions--well, I will as soon as the ground thaws & it stops snowing.

I read somewhere last year that *all* onions are capable of asexual reproduction, as is the case with multiplier & potato onions. That the bulbs we buy at the grocery store are just first-year from-seed bulbs and that in the second year, the bulb will want to reproduce: either sexually by bolting & going to seed or by cloning itself. Whether each "clone" will bolt, I don't know.

So last fall/early winter I purposely kept two sprouting onions in the drawer to see if they would "keep" long enough to plant in the Spring. So far, so good. I've had to cut the tops off each bulb once, being careful to leave enough intact at the top so as not to damage the bulb.

Each original bulb has split into quite a few sections, so we'll see if they bolt or not this summer.

I've read that you can successfully grow celery & I've wondered about carrots. Do you have any carrot starting this way also or just celery? Is your celery also putting out roots or just shoots?
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Onion - Celery - Carrots - Possible to get new plant from planting roots? Empty Just onion so far-

Post  Windmere 3/14/2013, 1:36 pm

I just have one onion with sprouts so far. I made onion soup last night and I saved lots of the roots from that.

Now that I've seen beccawhited's celery, I want to try that as well. I don't know that I'm going to use precious Mel Mix for these experiments though!

Thanks to everyone for the replies!!

Smile
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 3/14/2013, 2:24 pm

Here's some info that may be of interest:
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t11811-garden-tip-never-buy-celery-again?highlight=never+buy+celery

Someplace on the forums there is a topic on re-growing green onions as well.

Onion - Celery - Carrots - Possible to get new plant from planting roots? Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Onion - Celery - Carrots - Possible to get new plant from planting roots? Empty Rooster - Thx

Post  Windmere 3/14/2013, 2:43 pm

Rooster,
You do a great job of bringing helpful past threads to current discussions. Thank you!
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 3/14/2013, 2:46 pm

It means I spend WAY to much time here Shocked
Sorry I can't find the thread on the green onions. I searched all over, but it's around here someplace. thinking

Onion - Celery - Carrots - Possible to get new plant from planting roots? Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/14/2013, 4:29 pm

RoOsTeR wrote:It means I spend WAY to much time here Shocked
Sorry I can't find the thread on the green onions. I searched all over, but it's around here someplace. thinking
+1

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Onion - Celery - Carrots - Possible to get new plant from planting roots? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Icemaiden 3/14/2013, 4:50 pm

RoOsTeR wrote:It means I spend WAY to much time here Shocked

This one? https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t12166p15-onions#119646

Rowena linked from there to her blog
http://www.romesticity.com/2010/04/reincarnated-onions.html
Icemaiden

http://squarefootgardening-kate.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/14/2013, 5:08 pm

Good job Icemaiden!

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Onion - Celery - Carrots - Possible to get new plant from planting roots? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down