Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My Mel's mix formula Toplef10My Mel's mix formula 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My Mel's mix formula I22gcj10My Mel's mix formula 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My Mel's mix formula Toplef10My Mel's mix formula 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My Mel's mix formula I22gcj10My Mel's mix formula 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

My Mel's mix formula

3 posters

Go down

My Mel's mix formula Empty My Mel's mix formula

Post  plantoid 3/21/2015, 7:52 pm

Due to the difficulties in being able to source sphagnum moss for a sensible price I started my square foot MM off almost five years ago using a mix of sedge peat , coir waste and a tiny bit of sphagnum moss in a product labeled as " Verve " here in the united Kingdom it is /was available from B&Q stores.

The MM was made with 1/3 of "Verve" , 1/3 of  about nine different composted animal dungs & their associates bedding and finall 1/3 coarse vermiculite.

Today I give a report of how it fared after being in seven 3 x 3 foot beds @18 inches deep ...It is DISMAL!  It shrank by nearly 9 inches & had become very sticky & dense , the original vermiculite content  is only partly in evidence .

We have a fairly high rainfall here in South wales , this appears to have speed up the decay of the MM in the beds . Today I  tried " Fluffing up " three  beds ready for seeds & plants in a few weeks time .... it was like trying to fork chewing gum /putty over.   Once worked about it started to crumb up into sticky crumbs .

To try and over come this sticky dense growth medium problem I've added three buckets of vermiculite to each bed and forked it in . I've also added three buckets of fine chopped coir waste as I discovered that the old coir hanging basket liners that I put in a composter have not rotted to nothing despite being in the composter for 2 years this May .

It's raised the reduced MM levels by about nine inches . In a couple for days time I will be adding a half bucket of my three year old home made compost to two of the beds  as they have not had any replacement compost or additional nutrients for 18 months . 

So it's fingers crossed that I don't have to start the beds again now I've found a source of pure sphagnum moss.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

My Mel's mix formula Empty Re: My Mel's mix formula

Post  CapeCoddess 3/21/2015, 8:19 pm

plantoid wrote:...1/3 of  about nine different composted animal dungs & their associates bedding...

I feel like if I did that I would probably have a gummy sticky mess on my hands...and in the beds. Does todays compost have lots of other stuff in it...like garden waste and kitchen scraps and such?
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/21/2015, 11:23 pm

plantoid wrote:  Today I give a report of how it fared after being in seven 3 x 3 foot beds @18 inches deep ...It is DISMAL!  It shrank by nearly 9 inches & had become very sticky & dense , the original vermiculite content  is only partly in evidence .

To try and over come this sticky dense growth medium problem I've added three buckets of vermiculite to each bed and forked it in . . 

Plaintoid, I've also found a little problem in my deeper beds and containers. The MM in is quite soggy and a little septic smelling. I'm adding some perlite to make it a little airier.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 3/22/2015, 5:52 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:
plantoid wrote:...1/3 of  about nine different composted animal dungs & their associates bedding...

I feel like if I did that I would probably have a gummy sticky mess on my hands...and in the beds.  Does todays compost have lots of other stuff in it...like garden waste and kitchen scraps and such?
 Yep once I'd got my initial  fill for the new  high raised beds  I resorted to a making a much gentler formula for my MM .

My home made MM for the last three years is a lot more balanced :- all the kitchen & kitchen veg waste , all garden waste  , a fraction of the animal dungs & associated bedding , plenty of mulched oak leaves from our oak trees ,  a bale each year of wet straw & every lawn cutting that is first part dried  by being dumped on the concrete path for a day or so then swept up and put in the bins .  Finally a fair amount of torn up into small pieces brown corrugated cardboard boxes and some sprinklings of cross cut paper , all watered in with a 20 :1 dilution of my urine & rain water .

The 1/2 cubic yard  barrow of home made I've been using to reinvigorate the beds this year is  dry & quite fibrous .

I hope to combine three 1/3  bins of different composts to make another full bin of balanced mix ready for later on this in year .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down