Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello....fron Central Ontario "Canada" Toplef10Hello....fron Central Ontario "Canada" 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello....fron Central Ontario "Canada" I22gcj10Hello....fron Central Ontario "Canada" 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello....fron Central Ontario "Canada" Toplef10Hello....fron Central Ontario "Canada" 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello....fron Central Ontario "Canada" I22gcj10Hello....fron Central Ontario "Canada" 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello....fron Central Ontario "Canada"

4 posters

Go down

Hello....fron Central Ontario "Canada" Empty Hello....fron Central Ontario "Canada"

Post  OldHasBeen 6/4/2014, 8:35 am

Hello All

I borrowed Mel's book from the library this past (very long) winter & it all made sense to me. Now I have two 4 x 6 beds in the yard & plans for two more this fall.........I'm hooked!!!

I'm a rookie to gardening (other than garlic) soooooo please be patient with my inquiry's.

All The Best
OldHasBeen
OldHasBeen
OldHasBeen

Back to top Go down

Hello....fron Central Ontario "Canada" Empty Re: Hello....fron Central Ontario "Canada"

Post  llama momma 6/4/2014, 9:03 am

glad you\'re here  to the forum and enjoy,  OHB !  This is a great method of gardening and a terrific forum for support, laughs, and good people sharing their knowledge. 

So, you grow garlic??  I'd love to hear more about your garlic experience.  I've been growing german red for two years but this year is a struggle.  

See you around the forum.
 sfg smile
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Hello....fron Central Ontario "Canada" Empty Re: Hello....fron Central Ontario "Canada"

Post  AtlantaMarie 6/4/2014, 11:12 am

Welcome OHB.  Easy to learn new tricks here!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5601

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/5/2014, 1:58 am

OHB, Welcome to the Forum!  glad you\'re here  A year ago, I was new to SFG AND to gardening. This Forum has been a wealth of help and information.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  OldHasBeen 6/5/2014, 8:40 am

llama momma wrote:
So, you grow garlic??  I'd love to hear more about your garlic experience.  I've been growing german red for two years but this year is a struggle.  

Thanks all for the warm welcome!!

As for my garlic.....I've been growing garlic (hard neck) for about 8 years now, about 70 or so plants. 

After harvesting, I select the largest clove from each bulb & set aside for planting. I normally plant around the 1st of Oct. & cover with about 6" of wheat straw.

In June I clip off the scapes & make pesto and/ or bean dip with them.

I harvest after the bottom 3 leafs turn yellow & dry up. Then work the straw into the bed.

I was having issues with small heads, but after working sand, compost, & the straw into the soil...that issue cleared up. The old style garden bed had a lot of clay in it & I feel that it restricted the bulb growth. (That bed 8 x 22 will be replaced by 2 more SFG beds this fall)

That's all I do.....
OldHasBeen
OldHasBeen

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 6/5/2014, 9:02 am

Mine are hard necks too.  You saved the largest clove from each bulb to replant.  I was saving a 1/2 dozen or so of the largest bulbs then open them up on planting day to choose the best 65 or so cloves.  It had to do with the importance of preserving the planting quality of the bottom of the bulb, suppose to be really important for growth, at least according to a book, Growing Great garlic.  Anyway its always nice to hear of someone else's experience.

Mine were planted in Mels mix then had more compost added in early Spring.  There are scapes now but I seem to be having some other issues going on, perhaps too much wet weather, or a disease, onion maggots maybe,  I still don't know for sure.  Yellowing plants specifically at the corners of the box and spreading towards the inside.  Another member, Plantoid, suggested the 2 sides of wood may be affecting plant growth too. Maybe this reminds you of another cause?   I'll buy everyone's explanation at this point.  Still not sure whats going on but some other members aren't  having a good garlic year either
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down