Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Curled leaves (severe) - tomatoes and tomatillos - Page 2 Toplef10Curled leaves (severe) - tomatoes and tomatillos - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Curled leaves (severe) - tomatoes and tomatillos - Page 2 I22gcj10Curled leaves (severe) - tomatoes and tomatillos - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Curled leaves (severe) - tomatoes and tomatillos - Page 2 Toplef10Curled leaves (severe) - tomatoes and tomatillos - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Curled leaves (severe) - tomatoes and tomatillos - Page 2 I22gcj10Curled leaves (severe) - tomatoes and tomatillos - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Curled leaves (severe) - tomatoes and tomatillos

+13
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Triciasgarden
Marc Iverson
CapeCoddess
llama momma
camprn
grownsunshine
GloriaG
mapspringer
AtlantaMarie
FamilyGardening
southern gardener
sanderson
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Curled leaves (severe) - tomatoes and tomatillos - Page 2 Empty Re: Curled leaves (severe) - tomatoes and tomatillos

Post  Triciasgarden Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:59 pm

Oh wow, I didn't know they were so tiny! Plus, if there is a chance they lay eggs (if that is what they do) in the soil, they would already be under there when they hatch out. I bet you all felt so helpless, I sure would have!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Curled leaves (severe) - tomatoes and tomatillos - Page 2 Empty Re: Curled leaves (severe) - tomatoes and tomatillos

Post  sanderson Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:16 pm

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:One problem with the leaf hoppers (at least the type we've seen up here) is that they're so small they can go through window screen and fine mesh tulle so there's nothing we can do to keep them away that I'm aware of.  

Oh, great.  I have some tomatoes covered with tulle!  So it's not worth the effort?  get that pesky wabbi

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:31 pm

Here I go again!  7 with curled leaves and 12 without.  planted around in backyard here and there, in 6" MM, in 7" MM and buckets or pots with MM. Only, this time, the leaves are curling up wards.   Shocked  Curled leaves (severe) - tomatoes and tomatillos - Page 2 Tomato12
Curled leaves (severe) - tomatoes and tomatillos - Page 2 Tomato13
Curled leaves (severe) - tomatoes and tomatillos - Page 2 Tomato15
Curled leaves (severe) - tomatoes and tomatillos - Page 2 Tomato14

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:38 pm

Oh no Sanderson.  You have worked so hard for this to happen.  I hope it does not wipe them out like last year. affraid
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:45 pm

It is probably ok.  Do not panic.  Rolling upwards is usually Physiological Leaf roll and is caused by environmental stress.  Usually working out watering will do it.  Often it is in reaction to too much water or too uneven watering.  I find some varieties are much more prone than others.  It is a reason to not severely prune your plants.  They need the vegetation to deal with fluctuations in conditions.

http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublications/PNW616/PNW616.pdf

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:42 pm

Thanks, guys. And, yes I read that publication. Shocked

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:14 pm

Oh no!!!  Not again!  Hopefully this isn't the same issue you had last year and you'll sail right past it. 

Last week we were gone for 4 days to Lake Tahoe and in that time, aphids and white fly moved in to my greenhouse tomatoes.  Forget thieves watching to see if you're gone, my pests a lined up at the fence observing our actions for an opportunity to attack, LOL!

I sprayed two days ago and will spray again in a day or so.  It appears to have worked well.  I made a mix of Dr. Bronner's soap with a touch of original blue Dawn and it worked on contact without damaging the leaves.

The war has begun...
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:43 pm

I will try it.  What are the portions of ingredient.  I will either apply with a spray bottle or a hand pump.  This is a great photo of my finger and so-so of the garden in the morning from east to west.  I'm standing on a little step.
Curled leaves (severe) - tomatoes and tomatillos - Page 2 Garden11

The white and pink roses are in bloom, otherwise everything would be green.  The 2 purple cages at the bottom are the 2 Iraqi tomatoes with curled up leaves.  One has 3 small tomatoes.  The tall fern-like plant just to the right of center is coriander cilantro from Baker Creek.  It went to flower right away.  I also have regular cilantro.

We rehabbed the exterior of the fence on the public side. Did you know that sunflowers and morning glories do not like bleach? The bleach spray came through the gaps between the boards. Also hit the beans but not so bad as to hurt the overall health.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:49 pm

Sanderson - that is a great view of your whole back growing area.  You sure have come a long way in just a few short years.  good luck with the tomatoes.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:56 pm

Thanks, 26 months, starting the 3rd summer. The other end (west) is also garden but not as far along.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:22 pm

Sanderson, I'm sorry I haven't been on the forum much lately.  I wish I had seen this thread when you first posted it. I had the same issue with my tomatoes last August.  I didn't find any clear answers on the net, so I assumed it was some disease so I discarded the plants and soil. These were potted beefsteak toms.  Soon after I started a couple other varieties and started seeing some of the same leaf curl, but the plants were able to push through and be very productive.  The new growth is normal but as the leaves aged they would give into the curl.  I believe that they became productive in spite of infection either because they weren't dealing with the August heat, or the fact that it was a more resilient variety. I'm not sure. I have one pole tomato that I've managed to keep alive since last summer. It never produced tomatoes until February. It started growing normally, although I'm not sure if it eve had a bad case of the leaf curl. It produced some of the larges and best tomatoes I've ever grown. It's still sprouting new vigorous growth!  

I'm sorry that you've been through this.  I feel bad for the tomato growers too.
dstack
dstack

Male Posts : 659

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:28 pm

Pretty garden! Can you post a pic of the curling leaves?

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Curled leaves (severe) - tomatoes and tomatillos - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:53 am

Thanks, Camp, the 4 photos are on page 2.

Dstack, last year the leaves curled under, this year they are curling or rolling upwards. All I want is a bumper tomato crop so I can can! Is that too much to ask? Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:15 am

sanderson wrote:Thanks, Camp, the 4 photos are on page 2.

Dstack, last year the leaves curled under, this year they are curling or rolling upwards.  All I want is a bumper tomato crop so I can can!  Is that too much to ask? Very Happy
And you're trying different varieties?  I bet you are!  Like me, you're trying everything under the sun!  You may have a worse case of this leaf curl malady than I do. I hope someone finds a way to combat this.
dstack
dstack

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:21 am

Dstack, can you discern the difference between virus damage and physiological leaf roll?  The second can look bad but be minor for the plant.  My understanding is that you can tell by which way the leaf rolls, up being physiological.  But that might be an over simplification.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:28 am

If I'm under-watering, Mother Nature is taking care of it today. It's raining. Blessed rain. cloudy-bummer

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:26 pm

Turan wrote:Dstack, can you discern the difference between virus damage and physiological leaf roll?  The second can look bad but be minor for the plant.  My understanding is that you can tell by which way the leaf rolls, up being physiological.  But that might be an over simplification.
Mine roll up...

Curled leaves (severe) - tomatoes and tomatillos - Page 2 Imag0810
dstack
dstack

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:19 pm

sanderson wrote:
Curled leaves (severe) - tomatoes and tomatillos - Page 2 Garden11

love the idea WOW!  way to go
okay
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Curled leaves (severe) - tomatoes and tomatillos - Page 2 Empty TYLCV

Post  Rolling Stone Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:25 pm

Sorry 'bout the toms.

If the leaves are curling up and the veins are prominent, you probably have Tomato Yellow Leaf Curl Virus. - TYLCV

This virus is vectored back to the White Fly. We had an episode of infections around here last January. The infected plants were pulled and bagged for garbage pickup - not recycled or burned and certainly not for the compost bin.

Control the White Fly and you can control the virus spread.
Rolling Stone
Rolling Stone

Male Posts : 17

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:37 am

Thanks, I hope to spray come Monday or Tuesday.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum