Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New to SFG Need Advice, Contaminated ground soil Toplef10New to SFG Need Advice, Contaminated ground soil 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New to SFG Need Advice, Contaminated ground soil I22gcj10New to SFG Need Advice, Contaminated ground soil 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New to SFG Need Advice, Contaminated ground soil Toplef10New to SFG Need Advice, Contaminated ground soil 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New to SFG Need Advice, Contaminated ground soil I22gcj10New to SFG Need Advice, Contaminated ground soil 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

New to SFG Need Advice, Contaminated ground soil

5 posters

Go down

New to SFG Need Advice, Contaminated ground soil Empty New to SFG Need Advice, Contaminated ground soil

Post  Lrose3271 4/29/2010, 10:09 am

Hello
We have decided to SFG. We decided to do this due to the fact that two years ago we discovered old contaminated soil on our property. The short of the story is, the soil smelled heavily of old fuel when we
were excavating for a new septic system. We went through the whole
testing of the soil as required by law in Massachusetts. The contamination was old gasoline and kerosene. the soil and ground water has been tested and we were told it was safe. Even though were were told it was safe, we do not want to plant edible plants in the soil. For years we attempted to grow garden vegetables before we gave up. We figured it was something we were doing wrong. The plants never thrived nor did they produce vegetables larger than 2" in length or girth. We now believe it was the soil all along.

Thus we decided to start a raised bed garden. While researching raised bed gardening we stumbled across this website. We then bought the All new square foot gardening book. We like what we read and have begun building two 4x4 beds.

Our question is this. Prior to finding the SFG method, we had planned on building 4x4 boxes 12" deep and lining them with plastic to ensure that our plants roots would not tap into the contaminated soil. But after reading the book we question whether we really need to make them 12" deep. Will the plants roots grow through the bottom/weed cloth? We assume no.

Second question would be. Can we use plastic for the bottom rather than the weed cloth? We have both at our disposal.

Thank you for any advise offered,
Lisa and Jim in Mass
Lrose3271
Lrose3271

Female Posts : 9

Back to top Go down

New to SFG Need Advice, Contaminated ground soil Empty Re: New to SFG Need Advice, Contaminated ground soil

Post  timwardell 4/29/2010, 10:29 am

If you're concerned about your plant roots coming in contact with the contaminated soil having a plastic lining would ease your worries. If you REALLY didn't want to worry, you could put a plywood bottom on your boxes. I did this on one of mine this year. You can see the video of it here: http://www.timsbackyard.com/2010/03/building-basic-square-foot-garden.html

6" is deep enough for your plant's roots, but if you plan to plant long carrots or potatoes you will want the extra depth. You might consider one box 6" deep and the other 12" deep. Or make them both 12" so you can rotate crops next year.
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

New to SFG Need Advice, Contaminated ground soil Empty Re: New to SFG Need Advice, Contaminated ground soil

Post  boffer 4/29/2010, 11:03 am

All my SFG beds are table tops, weed cloth on top of welded wire screen. I've never had roots grow out the bottom. Plastic would work but it needs holes punched in it for drainage.

All my beds have been 6 inch except for my carrot/parsnip box which is 12.

If I were only going to grow a couple squares of carrots or potatoes, I would do the portable high-rise box that Mel suggests: a four sided box that sits on the soil of the box to give the extra depth one wants. There are carrot varieties that don't need more than 6 inches of soil.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

New to SFG Need Advice, Contaminated ground soil Empty * * * Reply with quote * * * * New to SFG Need Advice, Contaminated ground soil

Post  Lrose3271 4/29/2010, 11:28 am

Thanks for the replies and advise. We feel a bit better now that someone else has given us some input. The plywood bottoms will certainly put our minds as ease.

As for root vegetables. We had read that we could make a smaller version of boxes 12" deep to grow in. I think that is what we will do. As we will have enough lumber left over. We purchased enough lumber two build 2 12" deep boxes. Thus I think we can actually can build a box for turnips and another 4x4 box.

Thanks again guys,
Lisa & Jim
Lrose3271
Lrose3271

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 4/29/2010, 11:45 am

Welcome, fellow Massachusetts-ites!

I am not happy about the cause of you finding us, but I bet you will end up being very happy you found us!

And I would absolutely guess that the soil was the cause of the problems you had previous years.
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  Lrose3271 4/29/2010, 7:06 pm

Martha
Thanks for the warm welcome. You can imagine how unhappy I was to find the contaminated soil. Not only did I grow up next door. I cherish our little neck of wetlands, woods and wildlife.

I am very excited to once again have a vegetable garden. We have lots of perennial beds. They seem to do fine, as they are not in the central area of our backyard.

Lisa
Lrose3271
Lrose3271

Back to top Go down

Post  Icemaiden 4/29/2010, 7:25 pm

I think the weed barrier must be permeable both ways - it lets rain water out and I bet it lets water (oil) back in. I think I would put down plastic (with a few holes for drainage) and then a layer of sand or gravel. But maybe I'm over cautious.
Icemaiden

http://squarefootgardening-kate.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down