Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
solar heater for cold frame Toplef10solar heater for cold frame 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

solar heater for cold frame I22gcj10solar heater for cold frame 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
solar heater for cold frame Toplef10solar heater for cold frame 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

solar heater for cold frame I22gcj10solar heater for cold frame 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Today at 3:09 am

» N & C Midwest: October 2024
by OhioGardener 10/16/2024, 6:18 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 10/11/2024, 5:31 pm

» Confirm what this is
by sanderson 10/11/2024, 2:51 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 10/10/2024, 5:47 pm

» Harlequin Beetles?
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:08 pm

» Preserving A Bumper Tomato Harvest with Freezing vs Canning
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 4:20 pm

» Greetings from Southeastern Wisconsin
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 12:05 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by OhioGardener 9/30/2024, 4:13 pm

» The SFG Journey-Biowash
by OhioGardener 9/29/2024, 8:33 am

» Fall is For Garlic Planting
by Scorpio Rising 9/28/2024, 12:19 am

» source for chemical-free lanscape fabric
by Woodsong 9/19/2024, 10:51 am

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

solar heater for cold frame

5 posters

Go down

solar heater for cold frame Empty solar heater for cold frame

Post  cyclonegardener 12/9/2013, 3:28 pm

I was wondering if anybody ever made a solar-powered heater that could be used in a cold frame. What I am looking for is this: Something to kick on when it gets 27 or 28 and raise the cold frame a degree or two. It could do this two or three times in the night and I'd be happy. I was wondering if a 15W solar panel could do it?
cyclonegardener

Male Posts : 105

Back to top Go down

solar heater for cold frame Empty Re: solar heater for cold frame

Post  jmsieglaff 12/9/2013, 3:47 pm

I haven't done what you describe.

What you describe would require some sort of battery to store power generated during the day and then power a heater at night--maybe even just a few light bulbs.  Not sure about specifics there, interesting if anyone has done this.

If interested, I posted this about my cold frame last March.  I don't use my cold frame all year--only late winter/spring for getting things started.  My cold frame is above ground, on my deck along a south facing wall of the house.  It sits on extruded polystyrene (pink foam board) and I made a pink foam board shell (covered with a tarp) I put on it at night.  The cold frame is lined with water filled milk jugs that were spray painted black.  It did a good job down to nights in the upper single digits last March--but it is very dependent on the amount of sunshine the day before.

A cold frame actually within the Earth would do better on its own and this approach may be enough to get you over the top (the black jug part, as I'm guessing you're not wanting to cover/uncover something out in the yard all winter). Just a thought.
jmsieglaff
jmsieglaff

Male Posts : 252

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 12/9/2013, 4:25 pm

(oops, late to the gate. +1 for what jmsieglaff said)

I've never made one; I'm just thinking out loud:

A basic system: A solar panel would charge a battery that, controlled by a thermostat and relay, would power a DC heater or light bulb.  

Without even sizing out the components needed, the dollars are adding up fast to a point that in my mind makes the idea not economically practical.  

You'd be better off looking into passive solar heat storage ie heating a mass within the cold frame during the day that would release the heat after dark.  Water containers, concrete, and rocks are frequently used for that purpose.

Any cool season veggie should be OK at 27-28 degrees inside a cold frame.

boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7370

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/9/2013, 8:53 pm

Dave had a muse on this  thread .

I love tinkering as my main trade was electro mechanical engineer who worked in industrial electronic testing & servicing  for a while many many moons ago .

My conclusions are :-

Perhaps think along the lines of a small PV solar panel charging  a single  12 volt 100 Ampere hour lead acid battery (  tested & working well  ..off a truck out of a breakers yard perhaps )  or even several 12 volt batteries wired in parallel.

You can get 12 volt DC time clocks nowadays ( online off eBay ??) for those that live off the grid who want to run central heating switches etc. but don't have regular mains power supply wire to them .

So it would be relatively easy to wire up two 10 watt bulbs in parallel and set the time clock to bring them on say once every 30 min for 10 min and use them as warmers .

The plants would also enjoy the few extra meagre beneficial radiation/ light  rays that the incandescent lamps give off . 

Or 

Perhaps even more a simple ....get hold of bi metallic adjustable thermostat that only needs cold/ heat  to get it to operate on and off.

The best thing about PV panels is that they don't need real bright sun to get maximum voltage /current output .. thy work well on quite grey days. so long as there is reasonable light to see by

Though you would do well to check out just how low or high  a temperature the panels can  effectively generate electricity at and select the  type best for you . Electronics in most normal electronic devices need heater resistors to keep things warm if the temp drops below about minus 20 oC . The PV panels have an electronic processor controlled charging regulator associated or integral with them to charge the batteries .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4091

Back to top Go down

solar heater for cold frame Empty Thanks plantoid

Post  cyclonegardener 12/26/2013, 3:09 pm

That has given me an idea. I think for starters, I will insulate the inside of the cold frame with that pink foam insulation, maybe 3/4 inch. The cold weather earlier this month, zapped the lettuce when it got below 21 or 22 degrees.
cyclonegardener

Male Posts : 105

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/26/2013, 5:15 pm

cyclonegardener wrote:That has given me an idea. I think for starters, I will insulate the inside of the cold frame with that pink foam insulation, maybe 3/4 inch. The cold weather earlier this month, zapped the lettuce when it got below 21 or 22 degrees.
I bought a wonderful book this fall called, "Backyard Winter Gardening," by Caleb Warnock. One of the most valuable things in the book is his list of cold weather tested seed types.  He also sells his own seeds and I have purchased quite a few from him.  He is quite involved in finding, growing and saving old heritage seed types and is an entertaining writer.

His website is calebwarnock.blogspot.com

Lettuce is one of the things I'm growing the most in my winter garden.  We live 50 miles from most shopping so having fresh lettuce is our most cost effective money saver we can grow (not so much for the cost but for the time/money/effort saved in making fewer trips down the mountain).
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down