Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 16 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 16 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 16 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 16 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 16 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 16 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 16 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 16 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

What are you eating from your garden today?

+91
TCgardening
nycquilter
svanahgirl129
Gilly21
NEWBIE99
GardenGroupie
68carguy
VJ72584
Windmere
jrfrommd
dilewis
FeedMeSeeMore
davecourington
sfgbeginner
Cajunsmoke14
GloriaG
AtlantaMarie
tagyourit
bonnie0128
kauairosina
Gardendog
dstack
Roseinarosecity
Applegate
AvaDGardner
GWN
pattipan
Cherbear
cyclonegardener
jimmy cee
2SooCrew
Nonna.PapaVino
sfgteachers
Pollinator
cheyannarach
Windsor.Parker
TxGramma
Pox
sfg4uKim
unit649
meatburner
boffer
Kelejan
wcfujita
Robind
jmsieglaff
greatgranny
Thomas
grownsunshine
pryz123
darci.strutt
landarch
mrwes40
jewlz2121
johnp
R&R 1011
WriterCPA
NAR56
Marc Iverson
Triciasgarden
brainchasm
Amethyst42
SalsaMom
donnainzone5
Cheryl5
simpletwist
Josh
yolos
quiltbea
Turan
walshevak
sarah465
mschaef
herblover
lyndeeloo
camprn
bnoles
plantoid
southern gardener
llama momma
FamilyGardening
kbshark
Dunkinjean
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Nicola
Goosegirl
CapeCoddess
sanderson
RoOsTeR
mollyhespra
gwennifer
95 posters

Page 16 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28 ... 40  Next

Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 16 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  camprn 11/25/2013, 7:36 pm

Fresh ripe tomatoes and carrots and shallots in minestrone soup.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 16 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 16 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  johnp 11/26/2013, 10:06 am

Made our first batch of green chili with the poblano's we had roasted about a month ago. We used our tomato's and onion. This year we changed the recipe and added cumin and fresh carrots (the last). We needed a nice garnish of cilantro so I went looking where I thought some had started from seed out by the garlic bed. I scraped the 5 inches of snow off and found about 30 small plants all green and happy. Cut the tops off most of them with the weeds and grass included. Cleaned up enough for two handfuls of fresh, great smelling, cilantro. The chili was great.
johnp
johnp

Male Posts : 644

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 11/26/2013, 2:43 pm

johnp wrote:Made our first batch of green chili with the poblano's we had roasted about a month ago. We used our tomato's and onion. This year we changed the recipe and added cumin and fresh carrots (the last). We needed a nice garnish of cilantro so I went looking where I thought some had started from seed out by the garlic bed. I scraped the 5 inches of snow off and found about 30 small plants all green and happy. Cut the tops off most of them with the weeds and grass included. Cleaned up enough for two handfuls of fresh, great smelling, cilantro. The chili was great.
That's awesome! Like digging for treasure!Very Happy  Please, do tell me, how do you roast your peppers?

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 16 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas 11/26/2013, 3:05 pm

Leeks, just dug out of the semi frozen ground. They will go in the Thanksgiving stuffing, along with home grown parsley that has been brought in and sits on the porch. Also, fingerling potatoes. Yum.
Thomas
Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  johnp 11/27/2013, 9:03 am

Camprn you can roast a small amount of peppers on the BBQ but it takes awhile. Use a spray bottle several times and then into a paper sack until cool. This year I bought a bushel of half poblanos and half big Jim green peppers and they were roasted right at the farm where they were grown. The roaster is a big steel screen drum that turns with three propane burners behind for the heat. The peppers are sprayed several times while roasting. The peppers are put in a plastic bag to cool. once the peppers are cooled we put them six to a bag and freeze. To make our standard chili we use two bags (about 3 to 4 pounds) and one pound of pork, two bags of unfrozen tomatoes, onion and this year carrots.
johnp
johnp

Male Posts : 644

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 11/27/2013, 3:17 pm

Today we've had our first this year  broad leaf kale and a swede out the garden.

Had them on the plate with a large fluffy oven baked potato  in its c ispy skin  and my home made slow oven cooked thin beef slices as a stew ( used the  left over beef from the Sunday joint ).
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4097

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 11/28/2013, 5:09 pm

Green bean casserole with dragon tongue beans that were blanched and frozen from the garden, yum!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 11/28/2013, 5:42 pm

Looks like greens & maters for a while, which is fine since Thanksgiving lunch is still with me. Embarassed 

Those green toms that I picked at seasons end and layed out in a box in the corner of the living room are ripening faster than I can eat them.  Don't know what kind this is as it came off a sucker that was stuck into an empty spot in the SFG, but I ate a piece right after this photo and it's SO good...either a Supersonic or Beefsteak. What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 16 Photo_12

With all the mishaps I'm having this season, the greens keep coming.  This dwarf kale is so strong!  Thanks to GWN for suggesting it last year.  What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 16 Photo_14

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, ALL! What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 16 3170584802 

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 11/28/2013, 5:46 pm

Blanched and frozen green/yellow/purple beans and yellow/green squash.

Siberian garlic mashed potatoes with chives.

Possibly some lettuce, if it survived the cold.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/29/2013, 12:16 am

LM,  You mentioned green bean casserole.  Well I was asked to bring a GBC and corn bread to the family dinner, which for the first year was not held at my home.  Knowing my child's in-laws that would be there, I decided that everyone would be expecting the "original" but it has been probably 25-30 years since I last made it.  Thank goodness for the internet!  I found the original Campbell recipe.

Over the years, as the matriarch, I slowly made thanksgiving side dishes as healthy as possible, fresh fruit salad with my oranges, green salad, steamed BS or sauteed green beans, mashed potatoes with non-fat milk or even soy or rice milk, yams without marshmallows, no bacon grease, making sure that new vegans and gluten sensitives had dishes they could eat.  Then I could make the dressing, gravy and deserts without too much guilt.

Next year, I hope to serve something homegrown besides my oranges, something from the new SFG. Very Happy
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 11/29/2013, 12:31 am

CapeCoddess wrote:Looks like greens & maters for a while, which is fine since Thanksgiving lunch is still with me. Embarassed 

Those green toms that I picked at seasons end and layed out in a box in the corner of the living room are ripening faster than I can eat them.  Don't know what kind this is as it came off a sucker that was stuck into an empty spot in the SFG, but I ate a piece right after this photo and it's SO good...either a Supersonic or Beefsteak. What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 16 Photo_12

With all the mishaps I'm having this season, the greens keep coming.  This dwarf kale is so strong!  Thanks to GWN for suggesting it last year.  What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 16 Photo_14

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, ALL! What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 16 3170584802 

CC
Those sure look good CC! I love the pattern of the seeds in those maters! My Brandywine has decided to make a comeback, and I have more of those beauties coming on, it's crazy, but we love it. Hope to get a few more before we get a frost here, if we do at all. My cherry tomato vines are covered in blossoms, so who knows?? Maybe more of those too! Happy thanksgiving, and thanks for the pretty pics!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 11/29/2013, 9:37 am

sanderson wrote:LM,  You mentioned green bean casserole.  Well I was asked to bring a GBC and corn bread to the family dinner, which for the first year was not held at my home.  Knowing my child's in-laws that would be there, I decided that everyone would be expecting the "original" but it has been probably 25-30 years since I last made it.  Thank goodness for the internet!  I found the original Campbell recipe.

Over the years, as the matriarch, I slowly made thanksgiving side dishes as healthy as possible, fresh fruit salad with my oranges, green salad, steamed BS or sauteed green beans, mashed potatoes with non-fat milk or even soy or rice milk, yams without marshmallows, no bacon grease, making sure that new vegans and gluten sensitives had dishes they could eat.  Then I could make the dressing, gravy and deserts without too much guilt.

Next year, I hope to serve something homegrown besides my oranges, something from the new SFG. Very Happy
I like your healthy ideas.  I've made 'skinny' mashed potatoes that uses no milk but rather chicken broth to moisten things up.  You've probably done that too.  It's something I came across on a w. watchers site some years ago.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/29/2013, 2:36 pm

LM,  It seems to me that WW was one of the first sources of lower cal recipes.  Yes, I have also used chicken broth and the potato water over the years.  Then along came vegan so I had to go to soy or rice milks.  Plus a tofurkey.  Plus veggie broth for a small batch of stuffing.  Then came the gluten sensitive.  Out went the tofurkey!  Toss in "no microwave, please."  So baked yams were added.  Oh, boy!  At least the spread had eatables for everyone.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 11/29/2013, 2:53 pm

sanderson wrote:LM,  It seems to me that WW was one of the first sources of lower cal recipes.  Yes, I have also used chicken broth and the potato water over the years.  Then along came vegan so I had to go to soy or rice milks.  Plus a tofurkey.  Plus veggie broth for a small batch of stuffing.  Then came the gluten sensitive.  Out went the tofurkey!  Toss in "no microwave, please."  So baked yams were added.  Oh, boy!  At least the spread had eatables for everyone.
Wow, sanderson...you're good! You've got ALL the bases covered. I love the way you've kept up and made changes as the new knowledge comes to light. Most people can't be bothered...and they probably can't use their urine for gardening. Laughing 

Who knows what's coming down the pike but for me it just means a new challenge to be creative. okay Please keep sharing your changes. I didn't know about broth for smashed taters. Veggie broth that is.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 12/1/2013, 12:02 am

I just made a turkey borscht. I dug out the last of the beets and carrots today. the garden is frozen but the leaves are still nice and green and red. They were lovely in hte borscht with my garlic and last of a friend's potatoes.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/1/2013, 3:18 pm

No frost here today Very Happy 

I took two carrots, a celery stumpling a swede & a parsnip out the garden

Ate some of each of the veg  with  the evening  meal of roast chook ,spuds ,& roast onion as well as boiled , peppered & buttered  savoy cabbage ( which we had to buy from from a shop Embarassed )

Instead of the normal roast the whole 3 pound chicken thing ,  I cut the drumsticks off and cut it in half just at the rear of the last rib so it in effect leaves just a rear half frame with skin and flesh on it to go for fresh carcass chicken  stock rather than using a cooked chicken skeleton as the fresh flesh stock is much tastier.
 This method of semi " spatching " the chicken also makes it much easier to gently carve nice thin slices of chicken breast .

I used all the peelings and the rest of the prepped clean veg to put in the slow cooker wwwwith the frame to make chicken stock.
 It should be done by around 23.59 tonight .. the dog keeps nipping out the lounge into the kitchen just to check out the situation and comes back all bouncy as if to say " Well it smells good , give me some ..... PLEASE! "  ..he's got no chance. Laughing
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 12/1/2013, 3:39 pm

plantoid wrote:...with skin and flesh on it to go for fresh carcass chicken  stock rather than using a cooked chicken skeleton as the fresh flesh stock is much tastier...
AHA!  My wife says my turkey soup is the only turkey soup that she's ever liked, and now I know why.  What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 16 3170584802 I don't think there's anything special about the recipe that I picked at random.  But the last few years, I've been smoking the turkey for Thanksgiving.  I cut up the bird and just cook the breasts and thighs/legs.  Everything else goes into the  pot raw to make the stock with plenty of meat.  I had no idea that being fresh would make a difference.

It was just a couple years ago that I learned what a 'spatchcock' chicken was.  Here is an example fresh off the grill.
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 16 1-28-110
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/1/2013, 8:21 pm

Delete that picture at once young man ... Those calories will just magically gravitate over the pond onto my waistline. Laughing
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 12/1/2013, 8:36 pm

Everything else goes into the  pot raw to make the stock with plenty of meat.  I had no idea that being fresh would make a difference.
Definitely putting ample meat in there makes the difference -- at least according to the experiments of Cooks Illustrated on making chicken stock. 

Recently I "doubled-up" on stock the way I've read people do who have plenty of time on their hands and don't worry about wasting money -- I made stock out of stock.   That is, I used already-made chicken stock to make the next round of chicken stock.  My goal is to someday learn to make chicken soups as good as the amazingly intensely-chicken-flavored soups that Vietnamese make.  I didn't quite get there, but the "doubling up" definitely made a difference compared to my usual method of simply using water and veggies/spices (along with chicken stuff) to make stock.  No water in my last batch.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/1/2013, 9:14 pm

Boffer,  That photo is beautiful!  Simply beautiful and delicious.drool
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 12/1/2013, 9:47 pm

Boffer, I will be heading your way for BBQ!  What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 16 4022887542 

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 12/1/2013, 10:11 pm

Thanks, sanderson.

Anytime, GG.  Smoked meat has become my secret ingredient to make my usually mundane cooking taste maaahvalous!  happy smile

plantoid wrote:Delete that picture at once young man ... Those calories will just magically gravitate over the pond onto my waistline. Laughing
Nah...it's the magic of grilling that makes all the calories drip into the fire!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 12/1/2013, 10:13 pm

boffer wrote:
Nah...it's the magic of grilling that makes all the calories drip into the fire!
Like breaking cookies causes all the calories to leak out?!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 12/2/2013, 1:04 am

boffer wrote:Thanks, sanderson.

Anytime, GG.  Smoked meat has become my secret ingredient to make my usually mundane cooking taste maaahvalous!  happy smile

plantoid wrote:Delete that picture at once young man ... Those calories will just magically gravitate over the pond onto my waistline. Laughing
I'm the cook in our house, and am the guy charged with bringing something delightful to neighborhood parties.  Often I try to think up something new, but usually I just get requests for the old.  Which should be, to no one's surprise, something wrapped in bacon.  Upon getting yet another (but still welcome, I'm not complaining!) compliment on my bacon-wrapped water chestnuts from a party's host, I thanked him, but said that anything with bacon in it always gets raves; you could wrap bacon around a pencil and people would probably eat it and be thrilled.  He's still chuckling about that years later because we both know it's true.  Everything's easier with bacon.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 12/2/2013, 7:52 am

Marc Iverson wrote:
boffer wrote:Thanks, sanderson.

I'm the cook in our house, and am the guy charged with bringing something delightful to neighborhood parties.  Often I try to think up something new, but usually I just get requests for the old.  Which should be, to no one's surprise, something wrapped in bacon.  Upon getting yet another (but still welcome, I'm not complaining!) compliment on my bacon-wrapped water chestnuts from a party's host, I thanked him, but said that anything with bacon in it always gets raves; you could wrap bacon around a pencil and people would probably eat it and be thrilled.  He's still chuckling about that years later because we both know it's true.  Everything's easier with bacon.
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 16 3170584802
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28 ... 40  Next