Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Our 2nd year attempt at SFG. Toplef10Our 2nd year attempt at SFG. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Our 2nd year attempt at SFG. I22gcj10Our 2nd year attempt at SFG. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Our 2nd year attempt at SFG. Toplef10Our 2nd year attempt at SFG. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Our 2nd year attempt at SFG. I22gcj10Our 2nd year attempt at SFG. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Today at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Our 2nd year attempt at SFG.

+4
mschaef
gwennifer
plantoid
ncst8guy
8 posters

Go down

Our 2nd year attempt at SFG. Empty Our 2nd year attempt at SFG.

Post  ncst8guy 6/27/2013, 5:38 pm

Year 1 was impressive with things like peppers and eggplants.  I was harvesting both until our first freeze near Thanksgiving.  Tomatoes last year however we had tall plants, but I over trimmed, had yellerish leaves, almost all tomatoes had cracks, and we only ended up with 2 edible maters.  Squash vine borers (not what I call them when there are no youngsters around! Evil or Very Mad) killed all my zukes and squash, so I spent the off season growing fall stuff, and planning, researching, and preparing.

We also expanded to a third box, in hopes of  overcoming some of last years issues by sheer numbers.

We started planting a few things around the last week of April, when it was still cool in the evenings, and growing seemed slow.  Now things seem to be winding up, including diseas Embarassed

2nd year for this box, we planted some stevia for our unsweet tea, some peppers, 1 squash, and 1 eggplant.  It looks so barren in this pic, but only for a few weeks.

Our 2nd year attempt at SFG. 2013-04-21180719_zpseb5ebadd

We skimped on the dirt in the newer box, and it is showing, as the mels mix boxes are growing probably 30-40% higher and thicker stemmed than the non mels mix.

Our 2nd year attempt at SFG. 2013-04-24191604_zps2be58074

Also tried the toilet paper/stocking around the stem/aluminum foil around the stocking procedure to thwart the bastid vine boreres.  Failed and lost 1 plant, but the other one is out of control.  I don't see how anyone can try to use 1, 12x12 inch square for a plant that can easily cover an entire 4x4 foot box lol.

Our 2nd year attempt at SFG. IMG_2484_zpsbb52a8b0

Thhis is the 2nd year box recently, as you can also see in this pic, I have some sort of fungus on my cuke leaves, which I have tried vehemently to spray a $19 bottle of organic copper something fungus killer, to no avail, and my tomato plant on the left I think has blight, which I'm not sure how to battle except cut those leaves off?

We also built and painted a trellis for the new box, as we have cukes and maters and the wife wanted pumpkins along the back row, and peppers and a carrot box in the front.  The pumpkins were planted only 2 months ago, and have now had to be turned down and are probably in length 13+ feet long, with a couple of pumpkins in the tennis ball range.  We've had 2 high wind storms come through already and it has held up but the more foliage that covers the area the more nervous I'll become.

Our 2nd year attempt at SFG. IMG_2495_zpsaa1e75aa

Our 2nd year attempt at SFG. IMG_2485_zps0a9c07b5

The MRS has harvested over 200 strawberries in a 1 foot by 4 foot area.  

Our 2nd year attempt at SFG. 2013-05-21130719_zps6ef739b9

All in all, I am being forced to change my persona.  I am THE most impatient person in most have ever met.  This is the toughest time for me, in that it's hard to just "wait".  Especially when I see posts of other people around me already harvesting.  Last year I could NOT stop trimming stuff, and I ended up with a tomato plant that had a 2 foot stem, with 2 leaves on it Embarassed.  Then I complained about it not producing lol.  

SFG is extremely simple, but you can't fix stupid.
ncst8guy
ncst8guy

Male Posts : 17

Back to top Go down

Our 2nd year attempt at SFG. Empty Re: Our 2nd year attempt at SFG.

Post  plantoid 6/27/2013, 6:00 pm

Loved your post . think your strap line should be the last words .... & claim it as an original comment as it is worth $ billions Wink

" SFG is extremely simple, but you can't fix stupid. "
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4097

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 6/27/2013, 6:29 pm

Beautiful trellis and gardens. Thanks for sharing. Don't be so hard on yourself! (Though you did make me laugh. Laughing)
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 6/27/2013, 8:35 pm

Be patient it will work out in the end. For me this year patients is killing me. I moved to MT and things just start off so slow and are taking forever to grow. I grew up in GA where by this time of year I would have already had harvested spring crops and moved on to summer one. Than got moved to NE where by this time the green beans were producing. But here everything just seems to takes so longer. For instance I found my first pea blossom yesterday:D
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 598

Back to top Go down

Post  JustMe 6/27/2013, 11:34 pm

Love your trellis. Is it staked into the ground at all?

The strawberry box harvests are awesome! Your strawberry SFG gives me hope for our yield. I have 10 squares planted, and we're just starting to have more than 1-2 berries/day.
JustMe

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 6/27/2013, 11:48 pm

I love your pictures, looks pretty good to me.  Like mschaf I am celebrating the first pea blossom....

On the tomato leaves are they just rolling or is there other sign of disease?  Rolling is usually a sign of too much or uneven watering and some varieties are very susceptible to it especially if pruned too much.  It does not usually effect the productivity of the plant though.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  ncst8guy 6/28/2013, 7:38 am

The tomato leaves are yellow and curling and have some concentric circles on the bottom branches.  I bought some epsom salt, but I'm not yet sure of how to apply it correctly.  I've heard about 4 different ways.

The trellis is mounted to the box, which has 22 cubic feet of dirt in it, so I hope I'm ok. 

Most of the people I get advice from around here are row growers, and think I plant stuff too close together, it's too crowded, they won't produce etc.  Then they come see it later and the year and ask what type of fertilizer I use lol (none). 

The patience is my weakness.  I can't stand to look at my 401K and see it only move .02%.  If one of my workers is 2 minutes late, I start to get ill.  Now I have to wait for plants to start producing.  Sometimes I stare at them, as if that will help.  I'm sure my neighbors think I'm nuts. 

If there is a way to stop the growth of my fungus on my cukes, or possible blight on my maters, I'm all ears,

And thank you very much.

I have learned a LOT by reading this forum! (doesn't mean I'll apply it correctly though)
ncst8guy
ncst8guy

Male Posts : 17

Back to top Go down

Post  BrianDorry55 6/28/2013, 8:20 am

Maybe you could curb your impatience by planting some things that produce earlier? Granted I am about to start my first SFG this Fall, so I don't speak from experience...but I am planning on planting plenty of greens to go along with my tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplants, and peppers...that way while I'm waiting for those plants to produce...at least I've got some chard, lettuce, kale, arugula, and radishes that I can harvest. Good luck!
BrianDorry55
BrianDorry55

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 6/28/2013, 9:04 am

Call the nc state extension agent.  That is the best source of info on blight.  I have been spraying my tomatoes and roses with copper fungicide to head it off (if possible)  Only limited evidence, but there is some that 1 regular aspirin tablet dissolved in 1 gal of water and sprayed when the plants are young helps them build up their own immune system.  I have been doing both.

May I make another suggestion.  Plant some new tomato plants in another spot or in some 5 gal buckets.  Blight is contagious.   This way you may get some fall maters.  Wish I lived closer.  I have 3 suckers with great roots growing in some water and no place to plant them.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down