Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
turned compost piles - need to find the advil Toplef10turned compost piles - need to find the advil 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

turned compost piles - need to find the advil I22gcj10turned compost piles - need to find the advil 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
turned compost piles - need to find the advil Toplef10turned compost piles - need to find the advil 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

turned compost piles - need to find the advil I22gcj10turned compost piles - need to find the advil 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

turned compost piles - need to find the advil

+19
brainchasm
Nicola
Kelejan
bwaynef
Triciasgarden
donnainzone5
plantoid
jazzycat
jimmy cee
CapeCoddess
llama momma
R&R 1011
GWN
yolos
bnoles
Zekes nursery
Lindacol
camprn
landarch
23 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

turned compost piles - need to find the advil Empty turned compost piles - need to find the advil

Post  landarch 4/14/2013, 7:26 pm

I turned all three of my compost piles this afternoon; aerated, watered, and added some new material.

First, unwrapped the Geo-Bin, set it up again, then shoveled the old pile into the new.turned compost piles - need to find the advil Compos10

Here's a cross section...the bottom of the pile was fairly compact and dry...you can see my layers...shredded leaves, manure (horse, cow, rabbit, chicken), coffee grounds, etc. The center of the pile was almost too hot to touch.
turned compost piles - need to find the advil Compos11

With the two remaining piles, I added some fish to the bottom of the new piles, made a run to Starbucks for some coffee grounds, then mowed the lawn and added green grass clippings...very productive day...but sore all over.
turned compost piles - need to find the advil Compos12
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

turned compost piles - need to find the advil Empty Re: turned compost piles - need to find the advil

Post  camprn 4/14/2013, 7:39 pm

Love those coffee pucks! I myself am an aspirin woman, just finished turning my 4x4x8' pile, total time chopping the icy bits (chunks) and fluffing everything up, about 5 hours, over the course of two days to do the whole thing.
turned compost piles - need to find the advil 00213

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

turned compost piles - need to find the advil WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

turned compost piles - need to find the advil Empty Re: turned compost piles - need to find the advil

Post  Lindacol 4/14/2013, 7:43 pm

I'd like to know more about your plastic mesh compost bin. Is that a Geobin?
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 4/14/2013, 7:55 pm

It is a Geo-Bin - I won it at a local seed exchange drawing last year. It seems to work pretty good...it is heavy duty plastic mesh with four plastic coated metal stakes...the seam is held together by a handful of neoprene bolts, nuts, and washers. Being a circle, there is equal pressure all around...unlike my square metal mesh bin where the sides bulge out quite a bit.

It stays warm in the sun and it's easy to slide a spade shovel right down the side when turning material. I'm assuming it will last forever.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 4/14/2013, 7:57 pm

Camprn - my 3 year old daughter loves to break-up the pucks with her fingers...makes for some cheap entertainment...makes the yard smell great for a while as well.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  Zekes nursery 4/14/2013, 8:08 pm

For the aches and pains can I recommend something a little more natural? Pain Free by Pete Egoscue.

And for the compost I use the wire mesh w/ the 2x4 holes. I didn't even have to pay for mine the previous homeowner left it for me!
Zekes nursery
Zekes nursery

Female Posts : 18

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/14/2013, 8:22 pm

Zekes nursery wrote:For the aches and pains can I recommend something a little more natural? Pain Free by Pete Egoscue.

And for the compost I use the wire mesh w/ the 2x4 holes. I didn't even have to pay for mine the previous homeowner left it for me!
Thanks for the tip about that exercise book. The aspirin works pretty well for the acute discomfort. I am planning on growing more borage this season for the bees and to dry for tea. That will help too, borage tea. Wish I had some. What a Face

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

turned compost piles - need to find the advil WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 4/14/2013, 8:28 pm

WOW camprn... that is an impressive amount of compost you have going on. I really need to beef my operation up a little more in anticipation of adding another bed this fall.
bnoles

Male Posts : 804

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 4/14/2013, 9:00 pm

What is a coffee puck ? They looked like sliced carrots to me.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/14/2013, 9:13 pm

yolos wrote:What is a coffee puck ? They looked like sliced carrots to me.
Coffee pucks are compressed discs of coffee that come out of espresso machines. I can see them sitting the the pile.
Here is a photo of a fresh puck after someone removed it from the espresso machine basket.
turned compost piles - need to find the advil 2237846707_89d10bf6a1

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 4/14/2013, 9:56 pm

boy does this title speak for me. About a month ago I did a major turn of my compost pile and was in terrible pain..... for a week with no relief... Unable to take NSAIDS (IE aspirin and advil) due to stomach issues.... LOTS OF ICE and a physiotherapy treatment with accupuncture helped, but now am getting my son to turn the pile.....
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 4/14/2013, 10:53 pm

camprn wrote:
yolos wrote:What is a coffee puck ? They looked like sliced carrots to me.
Coffee pucks are compressed discs of coffee that come out of espresso machines. I can see them sitting the the pile.
Here is a photo of a fresh puck after someone removed it from the espresso machine basket.
turned compost piles - need to find the advil 2237846707_89d10bf6a1
Okay, thanks camprn. I don't drink coffee and never make it. I get my coffee grounds from starbucks. I now have four 5 gallon buckets of used coffee grounds waiting for me to start a new pile.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  R&R 1011 4/15/2013, 12:55 am

Nice looking compost. I had a geo bin included in a contest I won. I personally didnt like it because the sides kept bending in and it was too flimsy for my liking. I threw it away when I moved. Sad
R&R 1011
R&R 1011

Female Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 4/15/2013, 1:33 am

the key to the Geo-Bin is to make sure the support stakes are spaced equally so when filled, there is even pressure on the fabric, eliminating bending-in, warping, folding, etc. The next time I move it I should put the nuts to the outside. If they would have provided one more stake it would have made for an easier closure as one has to clear the compost out of the way to get access to the nuts/ bolts from top to bottom.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

turned compost piles - need to find the advil Empty Berkeley style hot composting heap

Post  llama momma 4/15/2013, 7:09 am

I have a 18 day Berkeley style fast heap currently on day 7.
On day 2 it had pockets of heat ranging from 90's up to 140 to 155 degrees. Lots of steam so far and white ashy stuff, I'm pretty impressed. Today is day 7 and need to turn over either today or tomorrow. This method may be fast and you get to keep the volume of material you start with...but... the trade off is extra work turning every couple of days. This heap is approx. 4ft x 4ft x 3 ft or so tall. It doesn't look all that big but it is quite the heavy little burning monster. Wink Ibuprofen is my friend.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 4/15/2013, 7:12 am

Sounds like you are getting quite a work out LM. bounce

I am anxious to hear your opinion on the final results.
bnoles

Male Posts : 804

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/15/2013, 8:30 am

OK, compost turning envy here. I'm down for the count with hip bursitis flare-up, day 4. Hobbled out in a gale to plant carrot week carrots on Sat but that just about put me under. Sad

This is a great thread. I, too, prefer to go with natural pain relievers like hm ginger tea. But I finally broke down and cracked open the Aleve yesterday, the pain was unbearable. I just ordered the book, Pain Free, from the library and am looking into growing borage. So tired and bored of sitting all day. I want to go out and play! bounce Anywhosey, enuff griping.

Thanks for the great photos and tips, folks!
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 4/15/2013, 9:15 am

CC
I saw an aerator for compost piles that screw into the pile
I can't remember where I saw it.
A larger spiral unit that is turned at the handle, screws into the pile, you might call it a compost auger...may be just your cup of tea.
If I find it I'll send you the link
Here is a link on you tube you might be interested in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_hUF0wvNHw
A portable drill, along with possibly a home made contraption may also help
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 4/15/2013, 9:31 am

I have serious back issues (I've had two surgeries) and honestly, I can't live without prescription pain medication. Ibuprofen, etc. does nothing for me. I've been trying to wean myself down - I can't stand be reliant on pills - but with all the work we've been doing the last 10 days, it's been hard. Anyway. ANY information on natural remedies for pain that actually work would be GREATLY appreciated! I had no idea borage was a pain reliever.
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/15/2013, 9:46 am

jimmy cee wrote:CC
Here is a link on you tube you might be interested in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_hUF0wvNHw
A portable drill, along with possibly a home made contraption may also help

OMG, Jimmy...that sounds like a dentist drill. I had to turn the volume off! *lol* But it's a super idea! Love it. Right now I have a few rebars stuck in my pile that I stir up every once in a while. Once my hip is all better (should be any minute now :drunken:) I'll be able to turn that pile a little at a time in the beginning, and work up to all in one day by end of summer.

shoot...Just dropped a flat of tomato seedlings trying to get them outside. Heck, they needed potting up anyway. Guess I'd better brew up some more ginger tea and pop another Aleve then get to it...*crossing fingers*.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/15/2013, 9:52 am

We sure must love our gardens to put ourselves through this composting workout, talk about a labor of love.

Bnoles, I'm very curious to see the outcome too and will share the results. I'd love to think compost manual labor will get me high school skinny like 35 yrs+ ago, but I think thats several(?) Berkeley heap piles away. Shocked
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 4/15/2013, 4:36 pm

llama momma wrote:I have a 18 day Berkeley style fast heap currently on day 7.
On day 2 it had pockets of heat ranging from 90's up to 140 to 155 degrees. Lots of steam so far and white ashy stuff, I'm pretty impressed. Today is day 7 and need to turn over either today or tomorrow. This method may be fast and you get to keep the volume of material you start with...but... the trade off is extra work turning every couple of days. This heap is approx. 4ft x 4ft x 3 ft or so tall. It doesn't look all that big but it is quite the heavy little burning monster. Wink Ibuprofen is my friend.

Love it LM
Start your slimming club and also offer gentle exercise classes for heart attack and stroke patients .
Just think all that money pouring in and someone else turns the piles Laughing

Last edited by plantoid on 4/15/2013, 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 4/15/2013, 4:51 pm

For all you with long term pain /injuries gentle exercise does help . ansfg and making your own compost is good .
It removes cortisol from your system ( toxic rubbish ) , produces serotonin ( good happy stuff) it also helps de fur clogged up arteries and energises your muscle tone.

It also helps you to elevate the levels at which you experience pain.
I'm now into week 27 of a mentored , " For life " geriatrics posture and mobilization programme initiated by the Welsh government .

It's kept me out of hospital over winter time , for that was when inactivity usually crept up on me and smashed me flat a couple of times between October and the end of March .

I'm now able to be totally pain drug meds free ( In 30 years ..they never helped in any case ...just made me stupid and dopey ( what's new Laughing )

I've managed to space out the compost turning over several days by doing things one bite at a time just like you eat an elephant .
It now takes me three days to turn one 11 cubic foot bin ..so long as the weather is dry
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 4/15/2013, 5:36 pm

Plantoid,

So maybe I COULD have a regular compost pile, rather than my smallish tumblers. One bit at a time.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/15/2013, 5:43 pm

plantoid wrote: one bite at a time just like you eat an elephant .

Shocked

Does it taste like chicken???

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next