Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Fearful day turned great Toplef10Fearful day turned great 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Fearful day turned great I22gcj10Fearful day turned great 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Fearful day turned great Toplef10Fearful day turned great 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Fearful day turned great I22gcj10Fearful day turned great 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Fearful day turned great

4 posters

Go down

Fearful day turned great Empty Fearful day turned great

Post  edfhinton 3/16/2013, 6:41 pm

Just some happy rambling that I had to write down. No big questions to answer this time.

I've been a bit worried about my onion seedlings, because after two weeks they still had only the single thin stems and many were starting to arc over. I was fearing damping off but couldn't tell. The stalks were all still green, but 90% were very droopy. The mix was still moist about 1/8 inch down or so, and I had fed lightly one time about a week after germination. I decided to give the onions their first haircut down to about 2.5 inches (from about 4), sprinkled a little cinnamon in case it is fungus in vain hopes of "saving" them, and turned the fan back on that I hadn't been running since getting rid of white fuzz early on. (I need to get a smaller fan. It's a big box fan.)

Well about 5 hours later I go back in to plant my thyme and oregano seeds, and lo and behold the seedlings are almost all rock straight vertical and looking happy as could be. I doubt the cinnamon would have done much in a few hours if at all, so I think they just needed the haircut and they seem to really like the steady breeze. Happy me!

Then on top of that, now that the snow is melted between the house and my compost pile, I figured why not walk out and see if it is at all unfrozen and start dumping some more house vegetative scraps and some ash from the woodstove. The pile was not frozen at all, even though the ground around it is absolutely rock hard right to the surface. What was a pretty new and not very big compost pile (only started in September) that hadn't been touched since December is mostly decomposed (except for some corn stalks that I didn't properly chop up.) Turned it over with the new additions and another happy smile.

What a great day that I mistakenly thought was starting with the demise of my seedlings.

-Ed
edfhinton
edfhinton

Male Posts : 86

Back to top Go down

Fearful day turned great Empty That's wonderful Ed - Cinnamon for fungus??

Post  Windmere 3/16/2013, 7:16 pm

Ed,

I'm so happy about your day taking a turn for the best. Thanks for sharing your good day with us.

I never knew that you could use cinnamon for fungus. Wow, that is so cool. I had some fungus growing on some radish seedlings that I had started (I over watered). I put them out in the sun, and that did the trick. But I really like your method as well. Thanks for sharing that tip!

Smile
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Fearful day turned great Empty Re: Fearful day turned great

Post  edfhinton 3/16/2013, 7:22 pm

I don't really know how well the cinnamon works. But I read it in enough threads that I figured it was worth a try if they were damping off. I now think they were not, but the threads about cinnamon say it can help prevent it too (and it certainly smells good.) I can't wait until I've been doing this for a few years and am less prone to panicking over potential setbacks.

-Ed
edfhinton
edfhinton

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 3/16/2013, 7:50 pm

Onion seedlings love their haircut!
I had a lot of seeds that were about 4 yrs old (onions, carrots, beets) I got a bit of warm weather, and the itch to plant, so I took them to the garden and just sprinkled on top of the mulch. I think they all came up. I just took the scissors out and cut my onion babies today. I now have to re-think old seeds.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  Coelli 3/16/2013, 8:51 pm

Wait, can you explain the haircut to me? I had heard that onion seeds don't last from year to year, but all of last year's seeds came up and I have onion babies out in the SFG. Smile I keep my seeds in an airtight container with a dessicant tin in the fridge, and I guess it's working!
Coelli
Coelli

Female Posts : 300

Back to top Go down

Post  edfhinton 3/17/2013, 9:37 am

Coelli,

I am probably not the best to explain, being a newbie, but I will do my best. As you are more experienced than I am, I likely could learn from whatever you have done. Anyway, I've started my onion seeds indoors under grow lights. It will be another 4 weeks before mine go out into the new SFG beds I will be building. Lots of threads I've read refer to trimming the seedlings down to about 3 or 4 inches when they get taller until they go out. Mine were not quite 4 inches yet so I had not done it yet. They also still had the little seed cases stuck to the tops. As part of my desperation when I saw them all bent down, I decided not to wait any longer to trim them, and now they look terrific. I think the weight of the seed casings was contributing to the drooping and I also think the trimming and better air circulation may have caused some response in the seedlings that was very beneficial beyond just the reduced weight from no longer carrying the seed casings.

edfhinton
edfhinton

Back to top Go down

Post  Coelli 3/17/2013, 12:26 pm

edfhinton wrote:Coelli,

I am probably not the best to explain, being a newbie, but I will do my best. As you are more experienced than I am, I likely could learn from whatever you have done. Anyway, I've started my onion seeds indoors under grow lights. It will be another 4 weeks before mine go out into the new SFG beds I will be building. Lots of threads I've read refer to trimming the seedlings down to about 3 or 4 inches when they get taller until they go out. Mine were not quite 4 inches yet so I had not done it yet. They also still had the little seed cases stuck to the tops. As part of my desperation when I saw them all bent down, I decided not to wait any longer to trim them, and now they look terrific. I think the weight of the seed casings was contributing to the drooping and I also think the trimming and better air circulation may have caused some response in the seedlings that was very beneficial beyond just the reduced weight from no longer carrying the seed casings.

Oh, got it, thanks! I am in SoCal, and this is my first time planting onions (I bought the seeds last year but did not have room to plant them after all). I seeded directly in the garden a couple of weeks ago, so I'm all good. If I start more indoors this summer to prepare for fall, I will definitely keep the haircut in mind. Thanks again. Smile
Coelli
Coelli

Female Posts : 300

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down