Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Crop rotation - Page 6 Toplef10Crop rotation - Page 6 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Crop rotation - Page 6 I22gcj10Crop rotation - Page 6 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Crop rotation - Page 6 Toplef10Crop rotation - Page 6 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Crop rotation - Page 6 I22gcj10Crop rotation - Page 6 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Today at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Today at 11:14 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener Today at 4:14 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 11:22 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Today at 9:50 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 5:13 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Today at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Today at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Today at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Crop rotation

+70
yolos
boffer
camprn
mapspringer
lzalvis
FamilyGardening
WriterCPA
Hoggar
edfhinton
Tris
CapeCoddess
didomach
CindiLou
Hardcoir
H_TX_2
Bud Alexis
bnoles
Rustic Patriot
Lemonie
LivingTheDream
Cincinnati
Pollinator
JeanneRamick
cheyannarach
Kelejan
Turan
gwennifer
quiltbea
llama momma
johnp
cpl100
Triciasgarden
Carleen
GWN
AvaDGardner
AppleofGODseye
sfg4uKim
sherryeo
RoOsTeR
southern gardener
Feistywidget
littlesapphire
littlejo
middlemamma
Chopper
AprilakaCCIL
shannon1
DevinGoulding
Barkie
staf74
tabletopper
ModernDayBetty
Mamachibi
happycamper
BackyardBirdGardner
clfraser
Ray'ssfg
jenjehle
pattipan
SFG in Chicago
GloriaG
Bec
Odd Duck
ander217
Garden Angel
Megan
organicgardeningzen.com
Kabaju42
mckr3441
dschenko
74 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Crop rotation - Page 6 Empty Re: Crop rotation

Post  quiltbea 3/9/2013, 8:20 pm

pollinator.....Thanks for the article. Very helpful.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Crop rotation - Page 6 Empty long season I guess

Post  didomach 3/11/2013, 12:24 pm

So if I plant the corn in the north squares, and in the fall/winter plant some other flowers, etc, the corn soil has rotation. Though it seems as if corn is growing for two seasons.
didomach
didomach

Back to top Go down

Crop rotation - Page 6 Empty Regarding tomato boxes & rotation

Post  didomach 3/11/2013, 12:27 pm

I plan to build a box for tomatoes, long and skinny with a string-trellis overhead. But if, when the tomatoes are done, I plant something else in those squares, do I have to move tomatoes to another box? Or do I plant every-other square this year, and the alternate squares next year?

I read somewhere that Mel recommends using a long narrow box for tomatoes. I am awaiting the arrival of our New SFG book, so I'm planning my garden blind, so to speak. Or perhaps I should just keep all my boxes square, and build a movable trellis to hoist above the tomato vines.

Any help?
didomach
didomach

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 3/12/2013, 12:55 pm

Welcome. I just realized you are located in Turkey. I spent a few weeks in Ankara and did a tour to Cappidocia. Love the country.

I'm trying to remember the seasons. I was there during Sep the first time and in June the second. What are your frost dates and do you get a really frozen winter or just a few nights below freezing?

I believe you can get a summer crop of tomatos and then plant a winter crop of lettuce. kale, spinach or other cool weather greens in the box for rotation. Cool weather peas might be a good choice as they they grow up the trellis strings as well. A greenhouse cover over the greens would probably keep cool weather crops growing except for the really short sunlight days.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoggar 4/4/2013, 1:45 pm

didomach wrote:
I did have another question, and I hope "Hoggar" that you can tell me how you rotate using this structure... and I posted it under Garden plans https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t14796-regarding-tomato-boxes-rotation. Thx

Sorry it took so long to reply Dido.
I don't rotate my tomato crop it goes in the same box every year I just add compost and mix the box. As long as there are no disease issues I'm good to go. If I start having disease problems I will just Solarize the box and it is good to go the next season.
Hoggar
Hoggar

Male Posts : 307

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/12/2013, 10:29 pm

Not necessary in the SFG, but in the event of disease or pests in the soil, such as SVB I like to move things around. Here is a link to some more information about rotating crops.

www.gardeningpatch.com/vegetable/crop-rotation.aspx

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Crop rotation - Page 6 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Crop rotation - Page 6 Empty Fall Crop Rotation & Summer Replacements

Post  WriterCPA 6/18/2013, 12:19 am

This is my year for ambition. I've never put in fall plantings before.

3) My fall plan calls for planting some broccoli and cabbage, more lettuce, iffy on the spinach. Maybe some late beets. Better ideas?

1) In the fall do I put new plantings of lettuce and spinach in the same places or try to do some kind of rotation. (I rotate the entire garden annually.) -- I planted late and my lettuce and spinach got caught by the blast of heat in mid May-- the spinach is spindly with stalks without ever producing usable leaves, although the lettuce is now making an effort (or maybe just holding on -- just pull it out?) - go figure.

2) What can I grow in the lettuce and spinach spaces for the next 2 months before I put in fall crops around August 15. Bush beans? transplanted herbs from the garden center? Not more radishes! I have enough and I'm not that big a radish fan? Try different radishes?

WriterCPA
WriterCPA

Female Posts : 138

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 6/18/2013, 1:23 pm

Bunching onions, beets, turnips, and beans you should be able toget a harvest from over the next two months! You could also look into planting shallots and Egyptian walking onions AFTER the fall harvest! Happy planting!!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 6/18/2013, 1:24 pm

I forgot, I try to rotate my crops every planting (but if you can't it's not the end of the world)!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  WriterCPA 6/18/2013, 3:42 pm

Thanks Cheyanne.
WriterCPA
WriterCPA

Female Posts : 138

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 2/27/2014, 2:39 am

found a new video on crop rotation, its presented easy to understand  Very Happy 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcPgvHPsXhI&list=UU07PYjpZ-BWlxLBC4T1lOhg&feature=c4-overview

he is using row gardening as an example but im sure we can apply the same principles with SFG if your interested in crop rotation

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  lzalvis 6/16/2014, 10:52 pm

I just found this thread by searching, as I'd recently posted a problem about my carrots not producing.  Their first year in their box was *amazing* - but each season since (3 seasons) I've gotten less and less production from the carrots.  Someone said that I should not replant root crops in the same box repeatedly, as was suggestd above.  Makes sense to me.  
I fill whole 4x4 boxes with one single kind of veggie, so I will begin to rotate crops.
lzalvis

Back to top Go down

Crop rotation - Page 6 Empty Tomato Bed Rotation

Post  mapspringer 6/27/2014, 3:42 pm

I know for the sake of avoiding potential diseases from the year before, it is advised to use a 3 year rotation for planting tomatoes (plant in 3 different places over 3 years.)  Well, looking towards the 2015 garden I don't know how I'm going to do this.  I really only have two ideal locations for them, with SFG beds built there, and this is the second year of rotation, meaning (if going by the 3-year plan) I would need to plant in a 3rd location.  Has anyone else encountered this "problem", and how did you go about adjusting, or not adjusting?  Is it truly that important of a rule to follow?
Thanks---
mapspringer
mapspringer

Male Posts : 66

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/27/2014, 4:10 pm

I typically have not rotated my tomatoes on purpose, but I have not had any disease problems that winter doesn't cure before the next spring. I DO make sure I get plenty of good compost into the bed, for soil health and because tomato plants are heavy feeders.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Crop rotation - Page 6 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/27/2014, 4:21 pm

When I started SFGing, I pretty much threw all the 'rules' out the window.  A person could drive themselves to the funny farm worrying about all the things that 'could' happen.  I figure that when a problem develops, I'll worry about it then. I don't put any effort into rotating.

It appears that some regions are more prone to diseases than others, but if  you haven't had any diseases, my opinion is to not worry about it.  As camp said, amend properly and go for it.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  mapspringer 6/27/2014, 4:53 pm

Thanks for the responses.  Those are the kinds of tips I like!  Crop rotation - Page 6 3170584802
mapspringer
mapspringer

Male Posts : 66

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 6/27/2014, 6:28 pm

I am on a three year rotation for everything.  I get one or two diseases each year on my tomatoes so I choose to rotate and I have enough room to do this.  I do not know how effective our winters are at killing diseases so I am not taking any chances that the diseases are coming from the previous year.  I get enough new ones every year.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 6/27/2014, 7:48 pm

We have a great many diseases here, and those that we don't have already are always liable to be brought in on any random nursery plant directly into our own gardens. The latter possibility strikes me as a great incentive to start one's own plants from seed.

Last year I planted so many beds with tomatoes and tomatillos that, if I wanted to practice crop rotation, I wouldn't have enough space this year for all the tomatoes/tomatillos I'd like to grow. So I got some five-gallon buckets and filled them with MM and stuck the tomatoes and tomatillos in that. They're doing great. Next year I will probably grow something else in them, like cucumbers or pole beans or peas or even squash, keeping the rotation going.

I also scrambled up the hill behind our house and stuck a few in some of the few sunny spots between trees.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 6/28/2014, 1:24 pm

Just my 2 cents. but I consider the fall planting to be rotation 1 and that gives me enough space and trellis to rotate every other year for the rest of the garden.  IE, collards/kale in the fall, tomatoes in the summer, peas in the fall, squash or beans the next summer. Of course there is also the lettuces, radishes, peas and such in the spring planting.  Plus I add a lot of new compost between plantings and try to bring my beds up to full depth before spring planting.  I also keep most of my tomatoes in buckets and dump the buckets into one or two of my beds during the winter and refill them with the MM already in the that bed, rotating the beds I dump into every other year.  Hope it keeps working.  This is my 2nd year doing that.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 6/28/2014, 2:40 pm

I don't rotate my tomatoes; they are in the ground on the south side of my house.  I have never had disease problems; I do space them well apart from each other (I have 5 plants), attend them faithfully, and add compost in the fall when I pull them up.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 6/28/2014, 3:10 pm

I've read people at tomatoville.com saying they never change the soil in their buckets, just add fresh compost yearly.

It seems clear that, like much of gardening, so much of this comes down to chance. If you have no diseases, there's little motivation to rotate crops. If you have a ton of diseases, there's every urgent and terrible motivation. Most of our gardens probably fall somewhere along a spectrum that goes from least disease to most. So what one person does may not be a good fit for someone whose level of disease (and bug!) infestation differs.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/16/2017, 10:55 am

Bump

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/17/2017, 12:02 pm

Gardening year around here in CA. I wish I could rotate but my boxes are scattered around the back yard. Some boxes can not be planted at all during the winter and are late to get the spring sun. Each box is best for certain veggies due to sun exposure and trellising requirements. :-/

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21528

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down