Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Failed Garden - Page 2 Toplef10Failed Garden - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Failed Garden - Page 2 I22gcj10Failed Garden - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Failed Garden - Page 2 Toplef10Failed Garden - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Failed Garden - Page 2 I22gcj10Failed Garden - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Failed Garden

+10
bakermtb
jkahn2eb
Chopper
Roseinarosecity
Triciasgarden
binfordmj
southern gardener
plantoid
camprn
syrah2422
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Failed Garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Failed Garden

Post  Nymiko 12/3/2012, 9:47 pm

camprn wrote:Miracle Grow will work but will be spent in a few months; your garden mix will be better if you add more compost! If you want to top dress with compost that will help.

Thank you, I found homedepot online selling worm castings so ill get that as a top dress. In the mean time, miracle gro and fish emulsion
Nymiko
Nymiko

Female Posts : 42

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/3/2012, 9:51 pm

You do have a compost pile....don't you?

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Failed Garden - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Nymiko 12/3/2012, 10:39 pm

camprn wrote:You do have a compost pile....don't you?

I don't, it's my first year and I'm not sure how to start a small scale compost pile. Sad
Nymiko
Nymiko

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 12/3/2012, 11:02 pm

Don't give up! It's got to get better!

I had a great 1st yr. I did add some organic fertilizer to the tomatoes.They just quit growing and looked bad. I got some 'unfinished' compost, smelled like Jim Beam. I didn't know a thing about compost. It finished in the beds and it turned out to be a good compost, a good yr.
Then came my 2nd yr. Total failure, Southern blight, milipedes, all sorts of bugs, beetles, etc. You name it and I had it.
Found out why I had so many bugs! Neighbors on both sides decided not to plant a garden this year. (They both live at least 3000 ft away) Also won over to SFG my DH, so he did not plant his row garden, I think planting some flowering stuff away from my SFG is going to be a necessity for the bugs.
Watering is 1 of the hardest things to keep up with, but is essential in SFG. You'all might try making some compost tea or worm tea to help with the fertility of the soil.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  Nymiko 12/10/2012, 4:56 pm

Nymiko wrote:
camprn wrote:Miracle Grow will work but will be spent in a few months; your garden mix will be better if you add more compost! If you want to top dress with compost that will help.

Thank you, I found homedepot online selling worm castings so ill get that as a top dress. In the mean time, miracle gro and fish emulsion

Just ordered 2- 15lb bags of worm casting... so excited to see what it can do. I have a 8x4 box and when I planted I staggered it by two weeks and the second planting looks like it's 2 months behind???
Nymiko
Nymiko

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/11/2012, 4:23 am

Nymiko wrote:
camprn wrote:You do have a compost pile....don't you?

I don't, it's my first year and I'm not sure how to start a small scale compost pile. Sad

Start it from the bottom instead of the top Laughing

Seriously find a place where it can go it does not need to be in a walled bin it can be a cone shaped heap if you feel like it. Just keep putting all uncooked veg matter on it . To get a better final compost once it's rotted down enough to call compost you can add other materials as you build the heap .

If you have Mel's ANSFG book ( see my strap line ) there is some guidance as to what you can put in it. If you don't have the book perhaps it's still not to late to write a letter to Santa enquiring about one Wink
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 12/11/2012, 12:18 pm

Compost pile: Be sure its at least 3 feet wide and deep. Layer some cardboard down or several sheets of newspaper, then any leaves you can find, kitchen scraps, and wet a bit. Just cover the raw foods with more shredded newspaper or dry fall leaves so the animals won't think its dinner. Look up 'compost' on google and read the lists of what can and cannot go into c piles.
No-no on meats, animal waste, fats.
You don't even have to turn it, just keep piling it on. Mother nature will break it down very slowly even without turning.
Good luck.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  syrah2422 3/14/2013, 10:03 pm

I somehow missed all the posts going on here. I stepped away for the winter and now ready to get back gardening again. Thank you everyone for your confessions and suggestions. Very Happy

My gut tells me, my gardens have too much peat. I need to figure out where to get the soil tested and what to add to get it to grow vegetation. I don't really follow any calendar. I plant everything when I have time in our bust schedule. I did the same in the gardens at our old house and we were successful. These gardens were not square foot gardens.

I'm also hoping to add three more beds this year in addition to the 3 we started last year. So I am definitely not giving up! My kids are also planning their garden this year too!

I have compost this year (at least I think I do) so I'm hoping that will definitely help out this year.

Dave - I would be interested in where you found the DR. Earth compost. (I love your blog. Glad to see all the snow we had in pictures and not on the ground anymore.) Also, my son and I discovered the community gardens while taking a bike ride, they looked great!

syrah2422
syrah2422

Back to top Go down

Post  dvelten 3/14/2013, 11:00 pm

Syrah, I got the Dr. Earth compost at Green Path Garden Supply on rte. 20 in Northboro. They also carry 6 cu. ft. bags of coarse vermiculite you will need for your new beds, plus they carry Happy Frog and Vermont Composting products. Applefield Farm down the road in Stow carries McEnroe compost from NY state, and Lancaster Gardens has the Gro-Well products. Agway has the Coast of Maine composts and Jo-Barb Farms on Annie Moore Road sells their own compost from a cart on the road. See my organic compost review.
dvelten
dvelten

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 155

http://davessfggarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  syrah2422 3/15/2013, 9:16 pm

Thank you, thank you, Dave!!

I just want to go build our new beds and get them ready even though we are getting more snow, lol. It looks like Greenpath is open now so I can at least start gathereing compost. I will also check out Jo-Barb since they are local! We will start getting the materials together now and build the beds in between soccer and baseball practice and games.

I can't wait, this year we are planting asparagus, raspberries and blueberries to start getting them established. I'm also hoping we can get our table garden going this year. It will be nice to have lettuce and spinach all summer. Snap peas, peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, radishes, strawberrise, swiss chard, only to name a few, in the beds!
syrah2422
syrah2422

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2