Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Many failed attempts at gardening from Texas :) Toplef10Many failed attempts at gardening from Texas :) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Many failed attempts at gardening from Texas :) I22gcj10Many failed attempts at gardening from Texas :) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Many failed attempts at gardening from Texas :) Toplef10Many failed attempts at gardening from Texas :) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Many failed attempts at gardening from Texas :) I22gcj10Many failed attempts at gardening from Texas :) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Many failed attempts at gardening from Texas :)

+6
AtlantaMarie
sfg4uKim
Ha-v-v
sanderson
Goosegirl
TXNovice
10 posters

Go down

Many failed attempts at gardening from Texas :) Empty Many failed attempts at gardening from Texas :)

Post  TXNovice 1/2/2015, 10:23 pm

Hi everyone.  Read and loved the book a few years ago.  Tried it out.  Funny thing: if you don't water nothing else works.  I'm back with more determination and focus this year...planning on making a decent-sized bed with timers and soaker hoses.  Hopefully I'll see some success.  Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom, successes, and failures.  I'm looking forward to learning a lot and hopefully growing something edible this year. Smile
TXNovice
TXNovice

Back to top Go down

Many failed attempts at gardening from Texas :) Empty Re: Many failed attempts at gardening from Texas :)

Post  Goosegirl 1/2/2015, 10:43 pm

welcome TXNovice! I have been doing this method for 4 seasons now, and this year was a 'no water, no garden' year for me as well! Amazing how that works rofl . My previous 3 seasons were very productive, but this year life just got in the way. We all wish you much success with the coming season, and we LOVE pictures! Before, after, success, failure, 'duhs', and anything else.
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Many failed attempts at gardening from Texas :) Empty Re: Many failed attempts at gardening from Texas :)

Post  sanderson 1/3/2015, 2:59 am

TXNovice, Welcome to the Forum! glad you\'re here Yes, there is a correlation between water and garden! rofl It is great that you are going to give it another try, this time with an irrigation system in place. It will make a lot easier. I don't know how many years ago you read the book, but I wanted to make sure you knew that there is an updated method described in All New Square Foot Gardening, 1st or 2nd Edition, by Mel Batholomew. No dirt involved. As Goosegirl mentioned, we LOVE photos of all kinds.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 1/3/2015, 8:37 am

Welcome to the forum Smile
I have to say this method is the best method to not water and it will still grow stuff for you!!! When things are rough and the watering is forgotten, I am always encouraged to go and find something that has survived in spite of myself, encouraging me to keep going. You will do great!!

Ha-v-v/Denise
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 1/3/2015, 10:59 am

Welcome!

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Many failed attempts at gardening from Texas :) WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 1/3/2015, 1:02 pm

Hello from Atlanta, TXNovice!  (Lived in Killeen for a while.  Looks like you're a bit further south, lol.)

Lots of good practical advice here!

Glad to have you.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 1/3/2015, 3:50 pm

Hi TXnovice glad you\'re here 

Something I am going to try this coming season:

MULCH - MULCH - MULCH

I generally start off OK then fall by the wayside in the hot weather in forgetting to water regularly. So I am going to see if I can do better this year.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 1/3/2015, 4:28 pm

Kelejan wrote:Hi TXnovice glad you\'re here 

Something I am going to try this coming season:

MULCH - MULCH - MULCH

I generally start off OK then fall by the wayside in the hot weather in forgetting to water regularly. So I am going to see if I can do better this year.

ME TOO
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 1/3/2015, 4:30 pm

Hi TX.
I watched some very nice you tube video's this morning regarding soaker hoses....
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/4/2015, 3:20 am

Automatic watering system and mulch.  Otherwise, only cacti and weeds would grow in my garden in the summer.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Many failed attempts at gardening from Texas :) Empty Thank you!!

Post  TXNovice 1/4/2015, 9:48 pm

Thank you to everyone for such a warm welcome!  I have a plan (insert roll of husband's eyes here, since I ALWAYS have a plan, with a checklist, and a shopping list! Smile ) and I think I can make at least SOMETHING work.  I read the book 3 years ago, I think, and am re-reading it now.  I went out yesterday to clear out my old SFG (just to be outside, really), but to my delight found something growing.  I have no idea what...I ended up planting so many random items and everything died.  It looks like it could be crookneck squash (I remember seeds, but did I put any in that bed??), or it could be the "free with order" vine peach seeds (what is vine peach anyway?) , or it could be zucchini that I got from that guaranteed to grow pod from Lowe's (which DID grow some delicious zucchini, but was shamelessly attacked and consumed by those little rolly-poly bugs!!!), if it can bring itself back to life, or it could be something else I've forgotten I planted.  Who knows?  It's green, viney, and has yellow squash-ish flowers.  So, I left the whole ugly mess, weeds and all, so as not to disturb the roots and I'll see what happens.  

Back to my plan, I plan to build a modified SFG this time, with landscape timbers and rebar, along a fenceline.  2 feet deep, so easy to tend.  With supports for climbing plants.  This will be step 2 toward building my dream "outdoor oasis" I've been designing on paper for years.  It will measure about 2x60, and it will have drip irrigation for every SFG section.  It will have dividers.  It will also have an inexperienced gardener who is a teacher by trade and spring is testing season.  We'll see.  I'll try to take plenty of before and afters.  Wish me luck. Smile
TXNovice
TXNovice

Back to top Go down

Many failed attempts at gardening from Texas :) Empty Many failed attempts at gardening from Texas :)

Post  GloriaG 1/4/2015, 10:29 pm

Hi TXNovice,

Welcome to the forum!  I'm also in Texas, although in the DFW area, so my gardening conditions are considerably different than yours. 

It's very hot where you are and I suspect quite humid - so you will need to mulch thoroughly, water well and watch for mildew.  I believe the very best way to keep the leaves dry and get good water coverage is to put in an automatic drip watering system that doesn't spray the leaves.  It saves a lot of work in hot weather.

I love the idea of a 2' tall bed - so easy to reach! Good luck and be sure to let us know how you're doing.

Gloria
GloriaG

Female Posts : 440

http://www.laketrailstudio.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 1/4/2015, 11:42 pm

Welcome TXNovice!

Your watering system should make gardening more enjoyable for you. It's a lot easier and more pleasant to turn the water on and walk away than grab a hose and individually water plants in the hot sun. I bet you wind up feeling your efforts were well worth it.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 1/6/2015, 8:37 am

TXNovice wrote:Thank you to everyone for such a warm welcome!  I have a plan (insert roll of husband's eyes here, since I ALWAYS have a plan, with a checklist, and a shopping list! Smile )

Back to my plan, I plan to build a modified SFG this time, with landscape timbers and rebar, along a fenceline.  

TXNovice, sounds like me, lol!  AND my DH...

Make sure you put something under the fenceline (so it's on both sides of the line) to block grass/weeds/etc.  I've seen some folks use roofing tiles.  They say that works pretty well.

Ask me how I know and what my biggest issue is in my garden... Embarassed
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down