Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
who has chickens - Page 14 Toplef10who has chickens - Page 14 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

who has chickens - Page 14 I22gcj10who has chickens - Page 14 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
who has chickens - Page 14 Toplef10who has chickens - Page 14 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

who has chickens - Page 14 I22gcj10who has chickens - Page 14 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by Scorpio Rising Today at 2:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

who has chickens

+46
trolleydriver
bigdogrock
Ginger Blue
CapeCoddess
countrynaturals
Marc Iverson
R&R 1011
kauairosina
cricket
TCgardening
FeedMeSeeMore
Windmere
llama momma
quiltbea
Tris
yolos
AtlantaMarie
jimmy cee
Goosegirl
Pollinator
gwennifer
cheyannarach
walshevak
littlejo
batmap
bnoles
FamilyGardening
sanderson
southern gardener
NorthWoodsFever
Frenchbean
happycamper
Triciasgarden
Lavender Debs
boffer
Kelejan
gregrenee88
Turan
lonewolfrissy
littlebear
camprn
RoOsTeR
Lindacol
westx
LtTawnyMadison
newstart
50 posters

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

who has chickens - Page 14 Empty Re: who has chickens

Post  countrynaturals 4/19/2017, 7:34 pm

Awwww! I love you
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RC3291 4/19/2017, 7:37 pm

What breeds did you get? They are fun to raise. They get over the cute fuzzy stage too quickly though.
RC3291
RC3291

Male Posts : 121

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 4/19/2017, 8:21 pm

Awwwww Very Happy 
And tell us which kinds....
I love baby chicks

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/19/2017, 9:31 pm

RC3291
Yes, I hear they grow incredibly fast. So far I'm taking a couple of pictures each day.
I'm amazed at the behavior difference over the past 3 days.  Today is day 3 and they are already into chasing the one holding a weedy tidbit.  I read around a week old they would use a little dirt/dust bath. Getting that ready tomorrow.  Picked mint leaves to throw in and some use it like little bed and sleep on it. Too cute.
Turan
2 Buff Orps
2 Speckled Sussex
2 Americauna (sp?) --  those blue egg layers
It's interesting to watch them.  No hen to show them the ropes. But they seem? to know what to do.  So full of energy. Then like a wind up toy that's done, they drop and go to sleep, for about 2 minutes. At night they are very quiet. The brooder is under a north window so I let natural light in during the day. Wonder if it helps their little bio rhythms adjust to natural light and darkness, even with the red heat lamp on 24/7.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 4/19/2017, 9:40 pm

Awwww Very Happy 

Are you giving them baby size grit?  If they are getting green things they need grit.  Even if being fed only chick feed they have less incident of poopy butt when grit is sprinkled on hte their feed.

My barred rocks are now 6 weeks old. They have the run of the coop and chicken yard in the day but still sleep at night under the heat lamp in the dog crate.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/20/2017, 8:10 am

Turan
So yours are 6 weeks old, are they fully feathered?

Thank you for checking up re: grit.  I enjoy all the advice anyone has.  Yes, as soon as I introduced outdoor things for them to peck at I added chick grit and also added a clump of soil(more grit I guess)  with weeds and grass attached.  There was a little alfalfa that grew outside of the pasture. They went for that also. I was impressed with the nutrition in dandelions. The chicks pull off little yellow petals and chase each other for that one tiny piece.

Going into day four I check for pasty butt twice a day. So far so good. Been changing their water and feed at least three times a day. Twice a day clean out the brooder floor.  I'm home all day and probably going overboard. I don't care, they are so cute. Also using a powdered probiotics and electrolytes, guess I'm throwing everything at them!  

Fresh Eggs Daily is a facebook page and website plus the author Lisa Steele has her two books with lots of fun information.

Today I am attempting to make little perches for them to enjoy. I'm all thumbs so we'll see about that.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 4/20/2017, 11:12 am

Did you folks know you can rescue chickens? Egg farms kill hens when their production starts to decline, sometimes when they're less than 2 years old. These hens are still young and produce huge, delicious eggs. We rescued 3 a couple of years ago and they're still producing. If you want chickens, but aren't equipped with incubators, heaters, etc., you might want to look for an adoption agency in your area. These folks may be able to help.

https://animalplace.org/helping-hens-rescue/
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  RC3291 4/20/2017, 11:47 am

Cutest thing I think I've seen but scared me at the time. One about 4 days old was running chasing another and just suddenly fell down and didn't get back up. Fell asleep that fast like someone flipped a switch and turned her off.
RC3291
RC3291

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/20/2017, 11:51 am

Countrynaturals
I never heard of this. This is wonderful.  Very interesting but they look so sad. Would have been nice to see these hens sometime after adoption with improved looks and perky behavior.  
I tried looking up a rescue organization here in Ohio. No luck yet but this is something I would certainly consider for the future. Hens still lay past the age of 2 at reduced amounts Right? That's ok by me, there's only 2 of us. 6 hens is going to be too many eggs I'm afraid.

Last edited by llama momma on 4/20/2017, 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/20/2017, 11:58 am

RC3291 wrote:Cutest thing I think I've seen but scared me at the time. One about 4 days old was running chasing another and just suddenly fell down and didn't get back up. Fell asleep that fast like someone flipped a switch and turned her off.

I've noticed similar behavior. I thought they were dying. Eyes closed, laying on their sides looks the worst with a leg stretched out behind. They're messing with me
nanana
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 4/20/2017, 12:13 pm

I would like to have a couple of chickens but Ottawa's bylaws prohibit such activity. However, there are some who are ignoring the bylaw.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/ottawas-urban-farmers-cross-the-fowl-line-as-hobby-comes-home-to-roost

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=backyard%20chickens%20ottawa
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 4/20/2017, 12:32 pm

Yup, mine are fully feathered and have been for a while now but they are still shedding out the odd bit of baby fluff.  They run around and try to fly.  I have seen some mock battles which make me wonder if I managed yet once again to find the roosters in a batch of 'all pullets'.  If they start crowing in a couple months I will have my answer Laughing 

We like having an over abundance of eggs, we give them away with extra veggies.  Also in the summer I could live off eggs and greens.  But when DH wanted me to get a dozen chicks I thought that was too much.  In a couple years I will get another 4.

How old hens can get and when they stop laying is some what individual and somewhat a breed characteristic.  My oldest hen ever was a Golden Wyandotte and was 15 when she died and layed an egg every couple of days until she was 12.  Right now I have a 10 yo Americana who lays an egg every other day or so.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 4/20/2017, 12:37 pm

llama momma wrote:Countrynaturals
I never heard of this. This is wonderful.  Very interesting but they look so sad. Would have been nice to see these hens sometime after adoption with improved looks and perky behavior.  
I tried looking up a rescue organization here in Ohio. No luck yet but this is something I would certainly consider for the future. Hens still lay past the age of 2 at reduced amounts Right? That's ok by me, there's only 2 of us. 6 hens is going to be too many eggs I'm afraid.
Here's one of our rescues. She thinks she's a cat and tries to come in through the cat door. We've had ours for 2 years and they still lay almost every day.
who has chickens - Page 14 Chicke10
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/20/2017, 12:54 pm

Turan wrote:Yup, mine are fully feathered and have been for a while now but they are still shedding out the odd bit of baby fluff.  They run around and try to fly.  My oldest hen ever was a Golden Wyandotte and was 15 when she died and layed an egg every couple of days until she was 12.  Right now I have a 10 yo Americana who lays an egg every other day or so.
Oh thank you this is good to know.  I can read info online but coming here talking to sfg friends is what I can trust. I'm glad I'm taking pictures as this fluffy stage will end too quickly.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/20/2017, 12:58 pm

Countrynaturals

She is gorgeous!  That's what the rescue site should include!   I will rescue some in the future for sure.  I was thinking all my master gardener contacts should be a good way to find older hens one day. Thanks again.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  RC3291 4/20/2017, 1:45 pm

llama momma wrote:
RC3291 wrote:Cutest thing I think I've seen but scared me at the time. One about 4 days old was running chasing another and just suddenly fell down and didn't get back up. Fell asleep that fast like someone flipped a switch and turned her off.

I've noticed similar behavior. I thought they were dying. Eyes closed, laying on their sides looks the worst with a leg stretched out behind. They're messing with me
nanana
Worst scare was the first time I saw them dust bathing.

Texas just passed a law that prohibits cities from banning flocks 6 chickens and under. Hasn't gone into effect yet and we'll have to see how it works out.
RC3291
RC3291

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/20/2017, 2:19 pm

llama momma wrote:I wanted chickens for several years. A simple mini flock of 6.  This year it happened and here is one who already knows how to pose at the tender age of 3 days -
who has chickens - Page 14 Untitl17
They take frequent and very short naps of about 2 minutes.  Like this one-
who has chickens - Page 14 Untitl19

Here are a few others admiring their own cuteness in the mirror-
who has chickens - Page 14 Untitl18
OMG, how lucky are YOU?!?
It must be like having a new litter of puppies or kittens. Will they be able to ride the llamas when they get bigger?
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/20/2017, 3:21 pm

I feel lucky.  Also feel they need a lot of tending. I'm a new Mom all over again. Checking temperature, food, fresh water, cleaning, checking little butts, adding little treats, and just spending time with them. Trying to be very careful to notice if anything is wrong.   This afternoon a couple were already looking at the top of the brooder and hopping straight up.  Already planning to escape?? Little twerps! Got the box cutter to score open a large hole in the lid and duct tape hardware cloth across the top. Now they're safely locked up.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 4/21/2017, 6:12 pm

I'll be picking up some chicken manure this weekend from friends who have chickens on their property.  I'm not sure if this poo will be composted already or I will have to compost it myself. I've read that chicken poo can contain some bad things. Should I be concerned?
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/22/2017, 8:28 am

trolleydriver wrote:.....not sure if this poo will be composted already or I will have to compost it myself. I've read that chicken poo can contain some bad things. Should I be concerned?

Someone else could give a better answer to this but I'll start off,  what I believe is true -- chicken manure is excellent as long as it is first composted.
If used fresh and un-composted,  it's too high in nitrogen and 'burns' plants.

In contrast rabbit and llama manure can be used fresh and will not burn. I still compost it anyway. The plants do very well and I feel better about it.

I don't know what you mean by "contain some bad things".  Anyone else ??

Last edited by llama momma on 4/22/2017, 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add in last line)
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 4/22/2017, 8:34 am

llama momma wrote:
trolleydriver wrote:.....not sure if this poo will be composted already or I will have to compost it myself. I've read that chicken poo can contain some bad things. Should I be concerned?

I don't know what you mean by "contain some bad things".  Anyone else ??
Thanks LM.

Bad things include pathogens, bacteria, salmonella, etc.  I suppose these will not be a problem if I hot compost.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  bigdogrock 4/22/2017, 9:18 am

Hey TD, LM, I like the post and the question, and the first answer. I too like chicken manure, since I have so much. I cannot tell you anything scientific, I have always made sure the cm was composted before I used it. I always take it and add it to other compost piles when adding to them, it gets the pile warm fast if the the other stuff has little nitrogen in it. I guess it is another way of building up a pile.
bigdogrock
bigdogrock

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 4/22/2017, 12:15 pm

Chicken coop cleaning is a major component of my compost.  The chickens also apply it as a lawn fertilizer and I help by scattering some over lawn, around bushes, and over flower areas.  If you think of it as the strong nitrogen fertilizer that it is you won't burn anything.   It is best to use compost in the vegy garden, OR to mix it into the soil when you clean the garden in the fall.  Either way gives the manure time to be processed.  The guideline for any manure is 120 days between application and harvest, which a winter of being in the soil provides. 
I am about to take some chicken manure from under the roost and mix it with some partially composted stuff, which I will heap where I want to grow winter squash this year.  By the time I plant squash in a month the compost will be mellow enough (compost piles being squash's favorite habitat) and by harvest more than 120 days will have passed.

This University of Idaho publication, Composting and using backyard poultry waste in the home garden, is very good reading.

https://www.cals.uidaho.edu/edcomm/pdf/CIS/CIS1194.pdf

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 4/22/2017, 1:00 pm

Thanks BDR and Turan. Good information.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  RC3291 4/22/2017, 2:00 pm

All the mess from the chicken coop goes in my compost pile along with any vegetable scraps and raked leaves.  Started out with an overfull compost bin now it's only half full. Need to get the man that mows the yard to bag the grass clippings and drop them in too. More compartments in my bin for partly processed compost is another project. Neighbor's raking his backyard and has a pile big enough to fill a pickup bed. Brown gold!
RC3291
RC3291

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next