Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Special Assignment From Mel!!! Toplef10Special Assignment From Mel!!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Special Assignment From Mel!!! I22gcj10Special Assignment From Mel!!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Special Assignment From Mel!!! Toplef10Special Assignment From Mel!!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Special Assignment From Mel!!! I22gcj10Special Assignment From Mel!!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:53 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 9:04 am

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:57 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 6:17 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by markqz 6/25/2024, 2:42 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by Scorpio Rising 6/23/2024, 5:43 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 6/17/2024, 10:28 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

» Got zucchini? Toot your own horn!
by MrBooker 6/12/2024, 5:19 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by has55 6/12/2024, 1:17 pm

» New SFGer from Perth Australia.
by sanderson 6/8/2024, 3:23 am

» National Gardening Week?
by Scorpio Rising 6/5/2024, 11:17 am

» Do raspberries have special needs?
by donnainzone5 6/4/2024, 5:12 pm

» What tiny monster is this?
by OhioGardener 6/3/2024, 1:19 pm

» Can I sew row cover material?
by sanderson 6/2/2024, 11:54 pm

» Garden Bells! Hoe! Hoe! Hoe!
by Scorpio Rising 6/1/2024, 2:21 pm

» vermiculite vs. perlite
by PVPind 5/31/2024, 3:33 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/31/2024, 1:28 am

» DIY Tomato Trellis for Birdie's Tall Raised beds
by DuluthLori 5/30/2024, 3:12 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Special Assignment From Mel!!!

2 posters

Go down

Special Assignment From Mel!!! Empty Special Assignment From Mel!!!

Post  RoOsTeR 6/19/2012, 7:28 am

The following is a special request from Mel. If anyone is interested in helping, please contact Alan at:
alan@squarefootgardening.com
Or the foundation:
http://www.squarefootgardening.org/contact-info#!__contact-info/vstc73=page-1

Dear All,
I need some help in assembling the new SFG - FAQ book. It might be labeled a guide to Square Foot Gardening or an answer book for Square Foot Gardening. Not sure of the title yet but it will basically be all of the frequent asked questions and our answers. What I need help in is gathering all the solutions to pest problems.

First, we need some volunteers that have some time to copy and paste everything on our forum so far dealing with pests and put that in a file to us. It would be a long and a big one and we will look that over, edit and send that to the publisher as a reference for a whole bunch of different questions and answers. It doesn't have to be in any format, just a complete copy of everything that's been said and done so far. They will pick and choose from it and pick out the things that they think are of interest to most people and include those in the book.

Then, I would like to ask our forum monitors to first download all references to any and all pest problems as it pertains to a Square Foot Garden. Then we would list each pest including human ones like soccer balls, including house pets - dogs and cats, and create a question and answer format for each one. In other words we would list dogs as the pest subject and then we would list all of the different solutions that we can think of and people have suggested underneath that one subject.
Next when you ask the monitors to go through and list the different pests in the forum and pull those out and separate them so we have the pest and then all the answers to that underneath that. Make that into a separate file, send that to us who will do any editing then send that on to the publisher to include

Next, we would ask all of our monitors, staff & volunteers to search for other garden blogs, webs, and books and government pamphlets, any reference to pest and pest problems for the solutions that they state. Send them to us at alan@squarefootgardening.com & we will then weed through those and pick out the ones that we think are applicable and perhaps add those to the book. Incidentally we want to give EVERYONE credit for this so whenever you search something tell us where it came from, a person's first name and the state they live in if you can and a book or a company that has these suggestions.

What I hope to get together is a pest proof Square Foot Garden. I don’t know if there is anything like that on the market right now but if we start with the idea and the knowledge that Square Foot Gardening takes up only about 20% of the space of a big row garden well then you’ve reduced the pest problem also for protection. Not just the amount of fencing you would need but how easy it is to protect a 4x4 instead of two long 20 foot rows in the garden. There’s a lot in the ALL NEW book already like the chicken wire cage so we want to build on that. Basically, we are going to say in the book first take a big row garden and reduce it down to a small Square Foot Garden. Both with the same harvest but one is a 100% of a size and the other is only 20% of that size. This is much, much easier to protect.

Any questions of what we are looking for please shoot us an email. We are on a fairly tight time schedule. They want to get this book out by this late Fall. So we only have a few months to assemble it. I'll be greatly appreciative of any help. Thank you all so very much.

MelB

Special Assignment From Mel!!! Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Special Assignment From Mel!!! Empty Re: Special Assignment From Mel!!!

Post  cheyannarach 6/23/2012, 9:44 am

Wow this is very exciting!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down