Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 3 Toplef10what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 3 I22gcj10what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 3 Toplef10what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 3 I22gcj10what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of?

+59
Kiwidave
ralitaco
AtlantaMarie
milt48
Scorpio Rising
SFGHealthCoach
Razed Bed
Cajun Cappy
FRED58
MitchHardy
Yardslave
Marc Iverson
sanderson
dk54321
tomthebuilder
jimmy cee
sfgteachers
H_TX_2
Muckmuck
Windmere
donnainzone5
DirtFarmer
sfg4uKim
ddemeo
Windsor.Parker
bnoles
llama momma
Lindacol
BertieFox
Triciasgarden
toledobend
Kelejan
plantoid
GWN
Unmutual
walshevak
brenda g
ramarks
SwampCatNana
sweetgale
Nicola
CharlesB
nanny
J_in_HamiltonON
Laydera
westie
squaredeal
landarch
cheyannarach
claudiamedic
memart1
CapeCoddess
Goosegirl
RoOsTeR
rowena___.
camprn
southern gardener
greatgranny
crs
63 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 3 Empty Re: what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of?

Post  toledobend 6/15/2012, 7:08 pm

I know you can't put used toilet paper in a compost pile, but if you did would it be a brown green?
toledobend
toledobend

Back to top Go down

what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 3 Empty Re: what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of?

Post  plantoid 6/15/2012, 7:17 pm

toledobend wrote:I know you can't put used toilet paper in a compost pile, but if you did would it be a brown green?

When we were kids in the 1950's & we had a chemical toilet instead of the dilly pan closet (we used to live right out inthe sticks off the grid ) the full bucket of honey & all went on the manure heap once a week or earlier if the need arose . Our used paper was pink for the most part of it or newspaper that was well read Razz
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/15/2012, 8:31 pm

Kelejan wrote:
Unmutual wrote:
GWN wrote:toilet rolls.... I find that leaving them whole helps to aerate the compost

That's how I toss them in, the least amount of work, the better!

I use my toilet rolls first, then discard the inners to the compost pile.

Good Catch! what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 3 656620
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/16/2012, 10:30 am

Kelejan wrote:
Unmutual wrote:
GWN wrote:
toilet rolls.... I find that leaving them whole helps to aerate the compost

Good Catch!

OK so what DO you call the centre of the toilet rolls, I was thinking toilet roll holder....no...toilet cardboard rolls....?? My tumbler has really started to break things down nicely since I started doing this. Egg cartons also I used to soak them and tear them up now I just break off each cup.... and I DO eat the eggs FIRST lol!
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/16/2012, 10:36 am

I have never heard anything thing that contraindicates putting fish into compost, except that critters may get into the compost.
We have a lot of bears in our area, apparently even grizzlies.
That is the reason not to use fish
In fact many people out here will NOT composts for that same reason, still others will not grow fruit trees
Me.... well I will take my chances, but not the fish. Smile
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/16/2012, 10:44 am

GWN wrote:
I have never heard anything thing that contraindicates putting fish into compost, except that critters may get into the compost.
We have a lot of bears in our area, apparently even grizzlies.
That is the reason not to use fish
In fact many people out here will NOT composts for that same reason, still others will not grow fruit trees
Me.... well I will take my chances, but not the fish. Smile

I get bears crossing my property, and I use their poo. I do let the bears get out of sight before cleaning up. A lot of their poo is undigested vegetation, including apples abd other fruit in season.

When my DH and I first moved in, there were piles of the stuff around and as there seemed to be many loose dogs around, I thought they must be very large dogs. Just like SFGing, I learned.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/16/2012, 10:50 am

When my DH and I first moved in, there were piles of the stuff around and as there seemed to be many loose dogs around, I thought they must be very large dogs. Just like SFGing, I learned.
lol! Very big dogs with black berry poop
Actually not sure what the poop is like here, except that it is the messiest poop in the forest. Where I came from there were tons and tons of wild blackberries. I have collected the deer poop from my yard and put in my com poster.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 6/16/2012, 11:35 am

GWN wrote:
Kelejan wrote:
Unmutual wrote:
GWN wrote:
toilet rolls.... I find that leaving them whole helps to aerate the compost

Good Catch!

OK so what DO you call the centre of the toilet rolls, I was thinking toilet roll holder....no...toilet cardboard rolls....?? My tumbler has really started to break things down nicely since I started doing this. Egg cartons also I used to soak them and tear them up now I just break off each cup.... and I DO eat the eggs FIRST lol!

Fred or Freda ??? Wink

How's about " Toilet roll tube forms made of carboard " or empty toilet roll tubes??? Laughing
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/16/2012, 12:31 pm

How's about " Toilet roll tube forms made of carboard " or empty toilet roll tubes???
OK so from now on, any mention of aforementioned subject will be ETRT Empty toilet roll tube... Tubes what a great term....
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 3 Empty what to put in compost

Post  memart1 6/16/2012, 12:55 pm

I think it should be CBT for Card Board Tubes. I put in tubes from toilet tissue, paper towels, waxed paper, wrapping paper, and tubes from anything else that comes on a tube. If it is a tube made of cardboard, it goes in. I have seen ads for toilet tissue that does not have a tube.
memart1
memart1

Female Posts : 195

http://www.mem-artceramics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 6/16/2012, 2:40 pm

Or TPT for toilet paper tubes.
Laughing
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana 6/16/2012, 8:27 pm

I don't know about you peeps but to me toilet tissue core sound good (aka TTC). cheers
That way PTC = papertowel core, etc.!
Lee
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Female Posts : 237

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 6/17/2012, 12:50 am

You guys just have me laughing in the aisle! Great idea about the TPT and PTT (can't remember what was written) being put into the compost piles/composters. I just love all these ideas on what to add to the compost piles/bins. I would have looked at the sludge in the rain gutters and said ewww and not known where to put it!

I would never have thought about vacuum cleaner dust. Well duh, it came from outside originally!

Great ideas!!!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 3 Empty Vacuum cleaner dust

Post  BertieFox 6/17/2012, 2:25 am

Not sure about using this in your compost. Most carpets and furniture are made from synthetic materials with some fairly unpleasant chemicals in them. A lot of this finds its way into the general dust and fluff on our floors, and putting it into the compost means you will slightly contaminate your garden.
Given the abundance of other far more natural and 'clean' products you can put into compost, I wouldn't risk it. Enough pollution from car fumes and factory chimneys gets into the soil without adding to it!
BertieFox

Male Posts : 28

http://www.loire-gites.eu

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 6/17/2012, 10:14 am

I've not seen anything negative about using vacuum or dryer lint. About every site I've seen on composting suggests using it and that includes some very "green" sites. I guess it comes down to personal choice, but I've got no issues using either in my heaps.

Here's a few items that contain the necessary elements for compost:

Nitrogen:
urine
raw bone meal
feathers
hair
tea and coffee grounds

Potash:
hay
wood ash
wool waste
banana waste
rock dust

Phosphate:
fish
hoof and horn meal
sugar waste

This is by no means a complete list Wink

what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 3 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 3/31/2013, 9:32 am

We have lots of new gardeners here this year. There should be a bunch of new compost piles getting started out there to end the quest for sub-par bagged composts!
Thought it would be a good time to refresh this thread for others to review and see what different items there are out there that can be composted. Wink

chicken dance

what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 3 Logo-111
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 3/31/2013, 10:36 am

What is sugar waste, Rooster? You mean like stale pastries and such? What a Face

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 3/31/2013, 10:41 am

I'm guessing the products used to actually obtain the sugar...like cane, sugar beets etc. Wink

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 3/31/2013, 4:39 pm

Probably beet pulp - it can be found at feed stores.

I sometimes offer warm water with molasses to the goats after they have babies or when they are stressed or sick. Leftovers go on the compost pile.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 3/31/2013, 4:56 pm

Up the road from me is a winery where I fill garbage pails and buckets of fresh grape pomace and stems. It smells like I'm hosting a wild party bottoms up in the back of the van. If I got pulled over it would be amusing to see the look on the officers face..
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 3/31/2013, 5:23 pm

Not anything new, but perhaps an unusual method of obtaining it. I am a big coffee drinker (3-4 cups per day) and I have Keurig coffee maker that uses those little cups. I save them up for a few days and take them out to the pile where I take my pocket knife and remove the paper top to scrape the grounds out into my pile. You would be surprised how much is in that little rascal. Don't do this in the house though as it makes a big mess. DAMHIKT affraid

My wife is a tea toddler and she puts her bags, string and tag in my compost collection bucket.
bnoles

Male Posts : 804

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 3/31/2013, 6:18 pm

I have mentioned it before. I add milk, extra raw goat milk.

In looking for info on composting dairy products I found these interesting links:

http://greenliving.nationalgeographic.com/dairy-composting-2977.html

http://www.underwoodgardens.com/668/compost-nourishing-your-garden-soil/ - this one is a heirloom seed company that I had not heard of before.

http://naturemill.com/products.html - anyone seen this before? Interesting product.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  Windsor.Parker 3/31/2013, 8:52 pm

RoOsTeR wrote:... new compost piles getting started out there to end the quest for sub-par bagged composts!... Wink
chicken dance
Nothing new to put in,
Old pile,
what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 3 Oldpil11
New pile...
what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 3 Newpil11
but it looks and works better, too! rahrah
Windsor.Parker
Windsor.Parker

Male Posts : 381
Location : Chicago, South Shore, c. 100yds to Lake Michigan, Zone 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/1/2013, 11:23 am

Ooohhh...that's beeeeautiful, Windsor.Parker! Are there sections?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  ddemeo 4/1/2013, 3:03 pm

llama momma wrote:Up the road from me is a winery where I fill garbage pails and buckets of fresh grape pomace and stems. It smells like I'm hosting a wild party bottoms up in the back of the van. If I got pulled over it would be amusing to see the look on the officers face..

That is awesome!
ddemeo

Other / Decline to state Posts : 27

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next