Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW: June updates - Page 2 Toplef10PNW: June updates - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW: June updates - Page 2 I22gcj10PNW: June updates - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW: June updates - Page 2 Toplef10PNW: June updates - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW: June updates - Page 2 I22gcj10PNW: June updates - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

PNW: June updates

+13
GWN
Lindacol
llama momma
Warbler
smriti
clswift
Goosegirl
RoOsTeR
boffer
Daniel9999
happycamper
FamilyGardening
gwennifer
17 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

PNW: June updates - Page 2 Empty Re: PNW: June updates

Post  Daniel9999 Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:07 am

happycamper wrote:
Daniel9999 wrote:
happycamper wrote:Wonderful looking Watermelon radish, I am still waiting for mine. German Giant, Watermelon and Icicle radishes are by far my favorites.

What spacing did you use with watermelon radish and when do you usually plant it?

I did not get much in the way of bulbs and would definitely appreciate some tips for growing it better next time.

Daniel9999, I use 9 per square for spacing with the watermelon and german giant. I have to snip the extra plants off with scissors if I plant too many because they simply will not grow for me if they are crowded. I plant radish from about Feb to Nov (china rose for winter). During this time of year I have to plant them behind something else to give some shade otherwise they always seem to bolt. Example of full sun: Daikon just went to seed, I have pulled two now and they were about 3 inches long and about 1 1/2 inches around. This year is my first try with the Daikon and they have a very mild taste, it made a very refreshing radish salad.

Yep pretty much what I thought...I had them way overcrowded and too warm.

Thanks so much for confirming that.....I can do better next time with them next time I think.....you input is much appreciated. Very Happy

@family garden....they are not so big....about golfball size...they are in a cereal bowl in that pic.....I hear they can grow to softball size though....and supposedly the bigger they get the better they taste.
Daniel9999
Daniel9999

Back to top Go down

Post  smriti Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:45 pm

Daniel9999 your radishes look so good! Thanks for sharing the picture!
smriti
smriti

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:36 pm

Warbler wrote:...So was this spring a wash? Or am I just needing more patience in our cool weather?

...I wish I had just a little pump spray ready to use - anyone know where to get something like that? Have also used BT powder on the soil when the cutworms were really bad.

Yep, I'd say a dose of patience wouldn't hurt! Razz Actually it sounds like you have a whole mix of cool weather and warm weather crops going on (which is fine - I do as well at this point in the season), so you can't expect all of them to be performing at the same rate. And of course, we can do our best by planting the right things at the right time in the right place, but we can't control the weather. I like FamilyGardening's tag line "I'm learning as I grow". Ask as many questions as you need to, but nothing is going to teach you as well as experience. Good for you for planting such a variety of things and trying stuff out! You'll start to get the hang of what you like to grow and what performs well for you (weather permitting, of course!).

That was too bad about your broccoli bolting. Definitely try again for a fall crop - you'll need squares open for transplants starting next month. Have you found your average first frost date yet?

Oh, and as far as the little pump sprayer - I just use a squirt bottle that you can pick up most anywhere in the cleaning supply section:

PNW: June updates - Page 2 Squirt10
You can also get 1 gallon or 2 gallon sized pump sprayers like this at Walmart or Home Depot or Lowes:

PNW: June updates - Page 2 Pump_s10

Last edited by gwennifer on Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:46 pm

Rose, so sorry to hear about your little greenhouse tipping over! Oh, I would be so frustrated if all my carefully labeled plants got all jumbled up like that! We've had an awfully windy time here as well. But maybe it's always so windy in the spring and I'm only just now noticing since it's my first spring fussing over a garden out there! Glad to see you have some carrots growing well. A few of mine that were eaten to the ground have begun re-growing! I take that as a good sign that there must be a healthy root system down there.

Okay Daniel, now I want some watermelon radish seeds. I still think you ought to plant a few in those squares where your new peppers are going. Radishes are supposed to grow and be harvested quickly - in less than a month (well, I don't know about the watermelon type), so you can get them in and out before other plants need the space. And happycamper even said she plants them all summer long in the shade of other plants.

Beans are funny! Long tendrils going up, up, up.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:54 pm

Rose, Oh no sorry your greenhouse tipped over! Though your other pictures are SO worth celebrating, everything looking so good.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Daniel9999 Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:58 pm

With radishes temperature plays a huge role in the overall flavor of the bulbs.

The flavor of the radish bulb is also dependent on temperature. As a
general rule, the cooler the temperature, the milder the radish. High
summer temperatures cause radishes to become pithy and develop a strong
flavor.

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/plants/vegetables/crops/hgic1305.html

Also

Watermelon radishes are a cool season crop preferring soil temperatures
below 68 degrees Fahrenheit. Overly warm soil temperatures affect the
radish's flavor, turning a mild pepper flavor often into a bitter sting.

http://www.specialtyproduce.com/produce/Watermelon_Radish_1788.php

The Watermelon Radish takes a bit longer than other varieties to mature around 50-60 days or so.....which means I would not be harvesting until late July.

Happy Camper seems to have good results shading them out during the summer and keeping her soil temps low where she is at....but I am personally afraid if that if I try that method here I might end up with inedible and unpleasant tasting radishes.

Luck is not much of a friend of mine and so I am not that much of a risk taker.

PWN weather being the way it is...as soon I planted them the temps would probably shoot up way high and my radishes would end up tasting yucky.

After gardening quite a few seasons over the years I have become quite convinced that Mother Nature has some kind of personal vendetta against me....I must tread carefully.
Daniel9999
Daniel9999

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:13 pm

Daniel9999 wrote:...PWN weather being the way it is...as soon I planted them the temps would probably shoot up way high and my radishes would end up tasting yucky...

If that's what it takes to get some decent corn and tomato weather around here, I will personally keep you supplied with as many radish seeds as you want to plant! Wink

I've been growing plain Jane Champion rads this year. Usually they grow well, but sometimes they don't. Since they are in the same MM, it must be the weather that causes them to grow poorly, right? Or is it because I planted during the wrong phase of the moon...
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:51 pm

Anyway - still a bit discouraged, but hanging in there. I've used spinosad for cutworms and leaf rollers and leaf miner. But the hose end sprayer sprays such a huge bunch of water that it seems difficult to use. I wish I had just a little pump spray ready to use - anyone know where to get something like that? Have also used BT powder on the soil when the cutworms were really bad.

Thanks for the listing of things to plant now. I have some empty squares and was trying to figure out what to do.

Here is what I use. It is a nice little inexpensive sprayer.

PNW: June updates - Page 2 3025a14c-374c-460b-ba10-4ac099bf6786_300
[url=http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1v/R-100164531/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=garden sprayer&storeId=10051]http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1v/R-100164531/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=garden sprayer&storeId=10051[/url]
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:46 pm

thanks Very Happy for the info on the radish Dan!

its June and we want the sun back!!......the slugs are trying to take over in the family gardens......ick!!.....hubby and i went out last night....late....found a bunch crawing out of the childrens self watering containers and munching away on the veggies in SFG box one and two.....Mad ....a couple nights before....i found one on the very top of a fava bean plant What a Face ......at first i thought it was our first bean No

we are really surprised that the tom's are handling the rain so well....they are getting taller and fuller.....cant wait to see what they will do with a little sunshine and heat.....Very Happy

we have 4 squares in the SFG that are emptying (from bolting spinach & bok choi)and we may have a couple more ..if we decide to pull the beets.....the beets are stunted and havent really grown for at least a month or so......weird.....can we still sow carrots?....

hugs

rose.....who is thinking about sowing some spinach into a container so that we can move it to the shade when the weather warms up.....may put a few raddish in there too tongue
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:44 pm

[quote="Warbler]I've wondered if the HEAVY rains we had last March washed nutrients out of my new MM and maybe I should fertilize? I saw someone mention putting a top dressing of compost - would that do the same? How thick?[/quote]

Sorry Warlber, I didn't see this get a response from anyone. Yes, top dressing with compost should replenish the nutrients in your mix if you feel it has become deficient. Adding compost is what the SFG system does instead of relying on chemical fertilizers. I wouldn't assume the nutrients really are too weak unless you're plants seem like they are struggling. If you do see signs of nutrient deficiency, go ahead and add that compost. As far as how much - I would do a trowelful per square just as if you were between plantings. You can kind of scratch it into the top of your mix around the base of your plants. Smile
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:58 pm

BTW, do we always get this much hail in May and June around here, and I'm only just now noticing it because this is the first time I've had a garden that I'm fretting over out there? Shocked

Well, now that the Rose Festival is over, culminating with the big Grand Floral Parade yesterday, I'm sure we'll be back to sunny weather. (IMO, the rain always has to stick around long enough to ruin all the fun with that event. Laughing)

I for one enjoyed not having to water the garden and all the ornamentals I've purchased but haven't planted yet for my new border along the fence. My lettuces, spinach and broccoli's seem to have really taken off this past week. But I do feel badly for my bell pepper plants, who look like they wish they'd never been germinated. Maybe a week of sunshine will cheer them up! sunny
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  smriti Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:27 pm

FamilyGardening wrote:
its June and we want the sun back!!......the slugs are trying to take over in the family gardens......ick!!.....hubby and i went out last night....late....found a bunch crawing out of the childrens self watering containers and munching away on the veggies in SFG box one and two.....Mad ....a couple nights before....i found one on the very top of a fava bean plant What a Face ......at first i thought it was our first bean No

we are really surprised that the tom's are handling the rain so well....they are getting taller and fuller.....cant wait to see what they will do with a little sunshine and heat.....Very Happy

Same here with the slugs and tomatoes Smile I found a couple of them and sprinkled Sluggo. Hope that helps. The tomatoes are growing so well that I'm getting very excited!
smriti
smriti

Back to top Go down

Post  smriti Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:29 pm

gwennifer wrote:
I for one enjoyed not having to water the garden and all the ornamentals I've purchased but haven't planted yet for my new border along the fence. My lettuces, spinach and broccoli's seem to have really taken off this past week. But I do feel badly for my bell pepper plants, who look like they wish they'd never been germinated. Maybe a week of sunshine will cheer them up! sunny

I'm with you on that gwennifer! If it's raining I'm happy that I don't have to worry about when and how long I need to water my garden/lawn.

Yes I too see some "dropping" flowers on my peppers and I'm hoping the sun these 2-3 days would help them out.
smriti
smriti

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:05 am

question for PNW who are or have in the past grown cantalope.....

we are trying for the first time this year to grow cantalope....we are growing it in our green house....question......it took for EVER to sprout....like weeks longer then we thought they would.....we have three of them up now....no true leaves yet...so just babbies.....do you think we can still use these guys or should we look and buy some bigger starts?

would also like to know how everyones corn is doing....we are nervous still about our corn.....we had to start more seeds in the green house as some of the corn hasnt come up yet....we were wondering how big everyone elses corn is.....a pic would be nice too Laughing ....worried ours wont be knee high by the 4th of july unless we get some warmer weather around here!!

thanks

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:05 am

FamilyGardening wrote:...worried ours wont be knee high by the 4th of july unless we get some warmer weather around here!!..

That's what I said to my wife this past weekend! I've only gotten about 60% germination out of two packages of fresh seeds. They came up nicely during the warm spell we had. Now they seem stunted at 8-10 inches. idk Everything in my garden could use some more heat, including me!

I haven't grown cantaloupes.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:34 am

sorry to hear your corn is having problems too boffer Sad

thank you for the reply....at least it reasures us that its the weather and not something we are doing.....

what are you going to do about the corn not all coming up?...are you going to replant more?.....when i took a look at some of the spots where the corn didnt come up yet....i found that the corn had swelled and some started to make roots but never came to the surface Shocked

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:19 am

They say that corn needs soil temps of at least 60°. Other than that warm spell, we've spent a lot more time under 60° than over. I planted long season corn; I'm out of time to re-plant, unless I switch to a short season cultivar. I planted 250 seeds; I just won't have as much to put in the freezer this year. Sad
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:33 pm

we planted in our back to eden-sqf-raised beds 96 corns .....pk says 90 days to harvest.....that must mean a long season too...Shocked

about 60 of them came up and are about four inch tall.....What a Face ....we have another 20 or so in the green house that are just up.......

hugs

rose who sure hopes we have a nice hot loooong summer so her family can eat some fresh corn!

by the way boffer.....how do you freeze yours?...the whole cob?...or cut off the cob?.....was looking at you tube last night trying to figure out the best way to freeze corn......dreaming i should say.....pale
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:37 pm

FamilyGardening wrote:question for PNW who are or have in the past grown cantalope.....

we are trying for the first time this year to grow cantalope....we are growing it in our green house....question......it took for EVER to sprout....like weeks longer then we thought they would.....we have three of them up now....no true leaves yet...so just babbies.....do you think we can still use these guys or should we look and buy some bigger starts?

Do you have room to experiment? Keep your sprouts, but also buy some transplants, and compare how everything grows? I've read that cantalope will stop growing if temps are below 60*. Surely in your greenhouse the temps have been higher than that though?
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:46 pm

gwen yes im sure the temp is higher then 60 too.....i have seen the temps over 100 when the sun is out....Shocked not sure why we were having such a hard time germinating those cantaloupe seeds.....the first set never germinated the second set took a really long time......they are new seeds too...they are heirloom.....not sure if that has anything to do with it.......

we are growing them in the green house.....i was going to have two planters in there for the cantalopes.....do you think i could put two cantalopes into one pot?.....they are large self watering pots that we got from wally world last year.....we are going to put trellis up on both sides of the green house......we also have our five pepper plants and one tomato plant that we wanted to keep in the green house too.....the green house is a 5x6

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

PNW: June updates - Page 2 Empty what's happening to my zucchini/squash plant?

Post  smriti Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:41 pm

Anybody know why are the leaves turning yellow? :scratch:
The zucchini/squash plants are the plants in the first 4 squares.
PNW: June updates - Page 2 Wp_20111
smriti
smriti

Back to top Go down

Post  Warbler Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:02 pm

Compared to mine they look beautiful!!! How'd you get them so big already. Mine are puny and kind of yellowish. Sad
Warbler
Warbler

Location : Pacific Northwest -rainy side of the mountains, about 700 ft elevation

Back to top Go down

Post  smriti Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:15 pm

Thanks for the kind words Warbler! clap

I don't think I can take any credit for their size...could it be because we planted them in the last week of April so it's been around 45 days? How long has it been since you planted yours?
smriti
smriti

Back to top Go down

Post  Warbler Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:43 pm

Took me awhile to check when I planted, and then remember how to post a pic...

It was planted on May 8, as a transplant. That night we had a frost Mad and it really looked bad, so I planted a seed next to it - I think within the next week. That is what is on the right.

PNW: June updates - Page 2 P1000610

Did you protect yours from frost somehow?
Warbler
Warbler

Location : Pacific Northwest -rainy side of the mountains, about 700 ft elevation

Back to top Go down

PNW: June updates - Page 2 Empty watermelon disease?

Post  Warbler Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:48 pm

This is a pic taken last week of my watermelon transplant. Crimson Sweet variety. They look worse now. I've sprayed it with a fungicide. Is it a goner? Any ideas?? We have a soaker "drip" hose.

PNW: June updates - Page 2 P1000611
Warbler
Warbler

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next