Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 2 Toplef10Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 2 I22gcj10Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 2 Toplef10Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 2 I22gcj10Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot!

+16
AvaDGardner
CindiLou
Glorious
malefacter
rod champion
rjeverett
tabletopper
plantoid
quiltbea
Goosegirl
GWN
Kelejan
rowena___.
Triciasgarden
walshevak
SwampCatNana
20 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 2 Empty Re: Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot!

Post  rjeverett 5/30/2012, 2:22 pm

GWN wrote:I just read somewhere that round up is felt to be causing the death of the bees.....

Shocked I did not know that! I just used some over the weekend for some terrible weeds that have started to creep up in small driveway cracks.. Glad you said this, I'll have to do better research on my weed killing!
rjeverett
rjeverett

Female Posts : 58

Back to top Go down

Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 2 Empty Re: Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot!

Post  SwampCatNana 5/30/2012, 2:33 pm

So, cardboard first, then paper and wet them all down.
I also found weed blocker cloth at Dollar Tree for $1.00, it's 4'x8'. All the weed blocker cloth at HD and Lowe's is only 3' wide.
I intend to cover the whole plot with cardboard, paper them weed blocker. Put in my 4X4 and 2 - 42"diameter round beds.
One round bed will be strawberries that I salvaged and the other herbs and flowers.
Suggestions for plants for the rock garden? All I can think of is alyssum.
Oh, how about portulaca grandiflora?Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 2 Portul10 Also known as moss rose. Comes in various reds, oranges, and yellows. sunny

You have to remember I don't have a car so depend on transportation from a door to door service run by the local bus service. So gathering all that much cardboard will not be easy. Paper is no problem. Since the weed blocker is so cheap, maybe I could use a double layer.
Mulch will be my friend! Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 2 3170584802
Lee
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Female Posts : 237

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 5/30/2012, 2:43 pm

http://www.foodconsumer.org/newsite/Non-food/Disease/bee_collapse_0508120701.html

GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/30/2012, 4:14 pm

SwampCatNana wrote:So, cardboard first, then paper and wet them all down.
I also found weed blocker cloth at Dollar Tree for $1.00, it's 4'x8'. All the weed blocker cloth at HD and Lowe's is only 3' wide.
I intend to cover the whole plot with cardboard, paper them weed blocker. Put in my 4X4 and 2 - 42"diameter round beds.
One round bed will be strawberries that I salvaged and the other herbs and flowers.
Suggestions for plants for the rock garden? All I can think of is alyssum.
Oh, how about portulaca grandiflora?Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 2 Portul10 Also known as moss rose. Comes in various reds, oranges, and yellows. sunny

You have to remember I don't have a car so depend on transportation from a door to door service run by the local bus service. So gathering all that much cardboard will not be easy. Paper is no problem. Since the weed blocker is so cheap, maybe I could use a double layer.
Mulch will be my friend! Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 2 3170584802
Lee

All my deck pots are full of moss rose because it can take heat and drought. The other thing that worked well in last years heat was osteospermum sometimes known as african daisy. But watch out because there is another african daisy called margarite ????? something. I bought the seed for the margarite thinking I had the other. Have only found plants for the osteospermum. http://osteospermum.com/

check here for choices based on your zone. http://www.thegardenhelper.com/rockplants.html

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana 5/30/2012, 4:57 pm

Kay - thanks for the link. I really like all the flowers used in rock gardens! flower
Lee
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana 5/30/2012, 5:31 pm

BTW Kay - I saw your post on another thread where you talk about having to screen the soil to get rid of rocks. I need to sift my whole plot once it's tilled, and was wondering what size screening I would need. I tried looking for a pre-made screens but have not been able to find one. Any ideas?
Lee
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/30/2012, 9:18 pm

The incident I was talking about happened in my much. much younger days. I sat on the ground and picked the rocks in a flower bed out by hand. Didn't ever do it again. But I refuse to use rock mulch because of that incident.

As to suggestions. Check the search box for compost screens. Some of their ideas might works. In particular I think I remember a 2x2 or 2x3 box made from 1x4 lumber with 1" or 1/2" hardware cloth mesh nailed to it. Scoop in a shovel full and shake the dirt out, then dump the rocks. No matter what you decided, it is going to be time consuming.

However, knowing what you are trying to accomplish, and now knowing about SFG, I would hand clear the large rocks enough to level off the plot and cover the smaller stuff with my cardboard and newspaper. Then I would put my bed on top, fill with MM and mulch around the paths. No way would I pick that stuff out ever again. On top or nothing. Including, if necessary, raising the beds off the ground by a brick, or block height and putting bottoms on the boxes. I don't plan to ever dig another veggie plot.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana 5/31/2012, 12:25 pm

DUh!!!! Kay, you are right! Why screen the stuff if I'm going to do raised boxes. I just thought it would make for a more even leveling and easier to walk on.
I appreciate your taking all this time to respond to my situation. It is a bit daunting when you have to start from scratch on something new and so late in the season.
Thank you very much! I love you
Lee
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana 6/2/2012, 10:40 am

I cannot believe it! Now that I can get my tools and bed, and ll the rest I need to get started, it has begun to RAIN! The forecast for the next 5 DAYS is RAIN! I'm sitting here cursing the weatherman.
Well, at least I started some seeds in the kit I picked up. So when the rain stops and I get the land set, the seedlings should be ready to transplant. Puts me ahead of the game.
I figure there is always a up-side to things.
Hope everyone is having better weather than I.
What I really hate about this kind of weather is that I am stranded at home for the duration. NO CAR.
Got the strawberry plants I was able to save replanted in a large shallow pot; actually was a hanging pot. Also saved some cilantro and kalanchoe. Was surprised when I found them. Bought a pot of lemon thyme and tri-color stonecrop for the rock garden.
There were 2 plant stakes with descriptions. One says Mazu(reptans), the other says stonecrop(Sedum spurium). Guess I should look them up.
Got the 4x4 bed from HD. Now have to order the round bed, it's offered only on-line.
Only thing left is soil.
Lee

P.S. Just looked up Mazus v Stonecrop. Not the same. Stonecrop is a sedum(succulent) Mazus is NOT. It is definitely NOT a sedum so here is a photo of Mazus reptans: Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 2 Mazus_10
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Back to top Go down

Post  rod champion 6/2/2012, 12:39 pm

Can you use the fence as a trellis?

If so- green beans -
rod champion

Male Posts : 125

http://www.southholstonriverflyshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana 6/2/2012, 1:57 pm

rod champion wrote:Can you use the fence as a trellis?

If so- green beans -

You mean the one in the pics of my plot? No. That is the fence for all the gardens and is beyond my plot on the other side of the green common area.

I've already planned for my green beans, both pole and bush. I LOVE green beans. Also have pea pods(love oriental), squash and zucchini, toms(bush and vining), carrots, cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower. Plus other "stuff".
I even have a packet of seeds sent to me from a FB friend in Australia. A wild flower indigenous to her area.
I've planned a rock garden and have a cement slab to hold several pots, as well as an area for wild flower seeds to be spread.
I hope to end up, eventually, with 4 square beds and 2 round ones. One for strawberries and one for herbs(maybe in a spoke fashion).
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Back to top Go down

Post  malefacter 6/2/2012, 2:19 pm

dont forget the lounge chair and umbrella so you can sit there and watch the other gardeners work on there row gardens as you sip your iced tea maybe a small table to put the glass on Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 2 3170584802
malefacter
malefacter

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana 6/2/2012, 5:56 pm

malefacter wrote:dont forget the lounge chair and umbrella so you can sit there and watch the other gardeners work on there row gardens as you sip your iced tea maybe a small table to put the glass on Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 2 3170584802
I bought one of those umbrellas you can attach to a chair and re-position! I will be picking up the chair later next week and I have a table all ready.
Not sure which chair to get:
This one is $24.95 This one has the cooler and magazine storage but not the ventilated back or head and arm conforming pads. The seat is actually smaller than the less expensive one. Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 2 93437610
and this one is $21.99 but doesn't have the cooler or mag rack. However, the seat is larger and it does have a ventilated back. Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 2 14590910

Okay - let's hear your votes! Wink
Lee Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 2 3170584802
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Back to top Go down

Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 2 Empty Natural weed killer

Post  Glorious 6/2/2012, 6:31 pm

I saw the post about Round Up killing the bees, - This doesn't surprise me, I hate chemicals!

I put one cup of Dawn Ultra dish liquid in a quart of hot water and spray the weeds in cracks etc on a hot sunny day, it will kill the roots and all the weed and not hurt the bees.

hope this helps!
Glorious
Glorious

Female Posts : 5

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 6/2/2012, 6:37 pm

I go with the cheaper one with the vented back. It can get hot sitting and watching others sweat! Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 2 889526 The trusty tote bag will keep you magazines from running off! And you will have your table to put your cup on! You'll be all set!
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana 6/2/2012, 6:55 pm

CindiLou wrote:I go with the cheaper one with the vented back. It can get hot sitting and watching others sweat! Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 2 889526 The trusty tote bag will keep you magazines from running off! And you will have your table to put your cup on! You'll be all set!

Yeah, and I just bought a really good cooler tote from BJs. Was only $10.00 but holds "tons". Very sturdy also.
My beach umbrella is like this but green and blue swirled panels:
Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 2 Umbrel10

NOW, if it would only stop raining! I wonder how much I'll be able to do when it stops raining? Everything will be so soaked! Better pull out my boots to be able to work the plot at all.
Lee
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 6/2/2012, 7:51 pm

Yup I have two umbrellas. One I keep in the car with my chair. Never know when I will be sitting somewhere!

The other one I use when I am riding my recumbent trike. if I want a break I have a chair and an umbrella Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 2 889526
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana 6/2/2012, 8:10 pm

CindiLou wrote:Yup I have two umbrellas. One I keep in the car with my chair. Never know when I will be sitting somewhere!

The other one I use when I am riding my recumbent trike. if I want a break I have a chair and an umbrella Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 2 889526

I'm glad you mentioned your bike! I have to get one for my scooter! Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 2 Victor10 They were only $5.00 at Walmart. I'm going there tomorrow.
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Back to top Go down

Post  rod champion 6/2/2012, 9:56 pm

malefacter wrote:dont forget the lounge chair and umbrella so you can sit there and watch the other gardeners work on there row gardens as you sip your iced tea maybe a small table to put the glass on Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 2 3170584802

I will be honest with you. I have found all gardening takes work. You either do the work up front. Or do it after planting.
rod champion

Male Posts : 125

http://www.southholstonriverflyshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana 6/2/2012, 11:09 pm

rod champion wrote:

I will be honest with you. I have found all gardening takes work. You either do the work up front. Or do it after planting.

True, but, nothing like row gardening! Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 2 3170584802
Lee
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana 6/6/2012, 8:33 pm

I went by the gardens today and my plot has been tilled! It is so beautiful! I forgot to take a picture! LOL I'll take one tomorrow.
Have been searching for my 5 composts and I think I have them. I bought Chickity Poo today, also have cow manure. Found a place to get mushroom compost and worm castings but will have to read the labels first. Also came across lobster compost(Quoddy). So that will give me the 5. Each is enough for more than 1 bed.
Still need to find our how to build up the rocks for a rock garden. SEE MY POST RE THIS IN NON-SFG FORUM.

On my way home I came across a chest of drawers at the curb and it looks great. Carted the drawers home with my scooter "trailer", 2 trips. Then I took my ladder, which is also a hand cart, and used that to carry the body of the chest home. Had a hxxl of a time getting it in the back door!
I would like to use the drawers for planting boxes as I found out the slides for the drawers were mostly broken. So I will use the chest body as a shelved storage piece(will make the shelves and fit them in) for my crafting.
I have 4 half drawers and 4 full drawers so could make some nice arrangements.
Enough for now. I'm exhausted! Time to get some food and relax. Busy day tomorrow. Getting stuff from Lowe's and going up to garden to start laying cardboard, newspaper, and weed cloth. Bought enough weed cloth to cover the entire plot for only $11.00.
Lee
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 6/7/2012, 2:57 am

Congrats on getting it tilled!

I've read the thread...why would you put newspapers on top of cardboard? What do the newspapers do?

The inspectors...yes, you pretty much detailed what they are looking for. If you read the paperwork you received with the plot, you'll know exactly what they want. Plots have to be clear of weeds...in ours you can be fined another years fine for not keeping your plot cleared. We have about 12% that are not cleared, and I hear all are rented. Other growing rules we have are no trees, no tall structures (to avoid casting shadows on another plot), no growing on the fence and no growing of drugs, and keeping the weeds cleared around your plot.

Screening...we screened our plot, and removed about 50 lbs of rocks. Surprising, as the dirt was dark, loamy, and pretty free of weeds. (I also inherited strawberry plants.) We tried a variety of things, but what worked best was the front and back of old fans! You can see photos of the process in my signature link.

It will be great to watch your progress!

Ava
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana 6/7/2012, 3:50 pm

I've read the thread...why would you put newspapers on top of cardboard? What do the newspapers do?
Everyone seems to think this is what to do. I guess b/c the newspaper composts faster than the cardboard.
Other growing rules we have are no trees, no tall structures (to avoid casting shadows on another plot), no growing on the fence and no growing of drugs, and keeping the weeds cleared around your plot.
We can plant trees but they have to be dwarf. A couple of people have grapevines but they are kept small and well trimmed. No large structures(5-6' tops); nothing must obstruct the view into the gardens. All must be seen.
Screening...we screened our plot, and removed about 50 lbs of rocks. Surprising, as the dirt was dark, loamy, and pretty free of weeds. (I also inherited strawberry plants.) We tried a variety of things, but what worked best was the front and back of old fans!
Again, nobody seemed to think this was necessary if you're doing SFG.
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 6/8/2012, 6:14 am

For not having a car you accomplish super human feats! Your plot is
sounding so exciting! I bet your garden neighbors are so relieved to
have you there making that area a showcase! Love the idea of Portulaca Grandiflora. I have always loved them and have intended on planting them but forget or get tied up with other things, or both! The lavender flowers are beautiful also and I will have to do some reading up on them!

I would go with the ventilated chair, who wants to sweat while you are watching your garden grow and the others are sweating with their row gardens.

I like the idea of using the hot water and vinegar for weeds and will have to try it. I have used straight store white vinegar and it seems to work. Just used it recently.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana 6/8/2012, 11:24 am

Tricia - glad to hear plain vinegar helps. Hard to get hot water at the garden site!
I've found the the purple flower, Mazus replans, is a water hungry plant. Had it on a north window. When I got it it was soaking wet, and in 2 days it started to wilt. I thought I would have to bring it back but watered it first in the bathroom sink. Perked right up. Have found it really needs a very wet area so will plant it in its own container to help it stay wet.
My plot has very good drainage. With all the rain we've had over the last week, it is not muddy at all! Plus I am at the top of the up-hill side of the gardens! Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 2 370856013
Lee
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next