Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
SFG soil in PNW Toplef10SFG soil in PNW 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

SFG soil in PNW I22gcj10SFG soil in PNW 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
SFG soil in PNW Toplef10SFG soil in PNW 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

SFG soil in PNW I22gcj10SFG soil in PNW 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 6:37 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 2:01 pm

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by Scorpio Rising 9/4/2024, 9:30 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 9/2/2024, 3:10 pm

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by middlemamma 8/30/2024, 2:04 am

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 8/23/2024, 8:13 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Pest Damage
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 11:24 am

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

» 15-Minute Garlic Sautéed Eggplant
by Scorpio Rising 8/12/2024, 7:25 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac 8/6/2024, 10:37 pm

» Golden Beets
by Scorpio Rising 8/6/2024, 7:03 pm

» Hi all!
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:56 am

» DIY Tomato Trellis for Birdie's Tall Raised beds
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:48 am

» Got zucchini? Toot your own horn!
by OhioGardener 8/5/2024, 9:17 am

» Compost not hot
by Aintyergrandpaschickenpoo 8/5/2024, 8:29 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by nrstooge 8/1/2024, 6:57 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

SFG soil in PNW

5 posters

Go down

SFG soil in PNW Empty SFG soil in PNW

Post  anconaduckman 5/15/2012, 5:32 am

Hello everyone,

I am a new gardener and starting SFG as well this year. My mother used to due the gardening as I am a recovering disable vet from surgery and she had a stroke that left her permanently in the long term section of a nursing home. So to continue the garden and feed my family I decided to take on gardening. Shocked

Okay so I read Steve Solomon's book first and used her existing garden for that method and then came across the SFG. I added 3 sections of 4x8 for my garden. My wife and I love the SFG and next year we are turning our existing garden into 5 4x10 SFGs.

Okay so my question is in regards to soil. I started the initial 3 beds with Cedar Grove Compost's 2-way which is 50% sand and 50% cedar grove compost. They instructed me to use this as the PNW gets a lot of rain and we need the extra drainage. Then I learned of MM.

Question:
Is it true that we need more drainage in our local climate than MM will give us?

The stuff is growing great but if the rain isn't an issue and MM is still best then I am going to use that for the rest of my beds. I do use worm tea as well on my plants.

I have been on information overload these past two months as I am cramming for this summers harvest and to be carried on into year round gardening.

Regards
anconaduckman
anconaduckman

Back to top Go down

SFG soil in PNW Empty Re: SFG soil in PNW

Post  Goosegirl 5/15/2012, 6:18 am

SFG soil in PNW 396615 flower SFG soil in PNW 396615 flower SFG soil in PNW 396615

Welcome to the forum! Have you read the ANSFG book yet? The forum is a great place for extra info but the actual book is the best place to get the basis for the SF Gardening method. One thing that Mel stresses in the book is that you CANNOT overwater Mel's Mix. It drains very well. We have several forum members in the PNW and hopefully they will chime in and give you more first-hand knowledge regarding MM and your climate. In the meantime, WELCOME from South Dakota!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3424

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 5/15/2012, 7:39 am

Welcome to the forum! I'm so glad to hear you're going the SFG way, because it's so easy to take care of and really produces a lot of veggies! I'm not personally for the PNW, however i literally live in a swamp so I bet we're equally wet. That said, my MM never gets overly wet, even when there's standing water outside of my garden boxes. As Goosegril said, you cannot over water MM.
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 825

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  curio 5/15/2012, 8:16 am

I think the MM will give you more than adequate drainage. We're outside Olympia and are using MM with wonderful results. Our "normal" soil here in the valley is basically old river bottom... so a lot of sand and silt that compacts like crazy and drains very slowly, except where there has been agricultural work for generations.
Please take Goosegirl's advice regarding getting the "All New Square Foot Gardening" book, published in 2006. I believe it's $20 or less, and we got ours at Home Depot.
Welcome to the forum Smile We do have a good number of members here who live west of the Cascades, with varying amounts of experience with gardening in general and SFG in particular.
curio
curio

Location : Maritime Pacific Northwest zone 8A/B with ugly heat scale

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 5/15/2012, 11:33 am

Hey there duckman! Welcome to the fourm! Did you know you're the second PNW'er this month to sign on talking about that Solomon book? Sounds like it has a lot of great information.

So I don't know about Auburn, WA but where I am we get a lot of rain in the fall, winter, and spring, but the summers are quite dry. And since summer is when the bulk of veggie gardening is done, I haven't even worried about what would happen to my garden with too much rain. Of course Goosegirl is right - Mel is pretty adament in his book that his mix absolutely cannot be overwatered, unlike typical garden soil. In the year I've been a member of this forum, I can honestly say I've never seen someone come on here and complain about their mix not draining properly. Underwatering comes up all the time.

Now I know you mentioned your goal is year round gardening, so then you're back to the rainfall issue. But, correct me if I'm wrong, don't the methods for season extension involve covering your garden? Hoop houses and the like? In that case, your garden wouldn't be exposed to the rain at all.

Hey I'm glad you signed on! I was lucky in that I didn't have an existing garden or any experience to confuse me - I bought the ANSFG book and did everything just like it says and my garden is working for me. Let us know what route you decide to go. Sounds like you've got the makings of a great experiment there (old beds one way, new beds the ANSFG way).
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1398

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

SFG soil in PNW Empty SFG drainage

Post  anconaduckman 5/15/2012, 3:37 pm

Awesome!

Thanks for the advice. I will go on from here using the MM. Though I may have to make it myself as I haven't seen it at Lowes. I am definitely going to get the book. I have been on a limited budget so I was buying plants and using the internet for my resources.

Once again thanks for the advice and welcome messages.

I really like the Solomon book; it has good general info about composting, root development and more. Though he doesn't prefer SFG but that's fine it still is a great book.
anconaduckman
anconaduckman

Back to top Go down

Post  curio 5/15/2012, 6:20 pm

I haven't found a good Mel's Mix combo here in the great NW. I bought the following composts for my mix: Cow manure, chicken manure, Mushroom compost, fish compost (got that at Sky Nursery) and a blend of forest, organic vegetable matter and farm waste.
curio
curio

Location : Maritime Pacific Northwest zone 8A/B with ugly heat scale

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 5/15/2012, 8:20 pm

Hey Duck, it's the Goose again! Definitely get your own compost pile (or barrel, or tumbler Very Happy ) going - sounds like you have some good info there in Solomon's book, and Mel also stresses the importance of getting your own compost going so you have it to replenish your Mel's Mix. You are going to have so much fun!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3424

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum