Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Chicken wire cage for vining vegetables? Toplef10Chicken wire cage for vining vegetables? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Chicken wire cage for vining vegetables? I22gcj10Chicken wire cage for vining vegetables? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Chicken wire cage for vining vegetables? Toplef10Chicken wire cage for vining vegetables? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Chicken wire cage for vining vegetables? I22gcj10Chicken wire cage for vining vegetables? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 10:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 10:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 10:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 12:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson 4/17/2024, 11:49 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/17/2024, 11:25 pm

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 5:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 7:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 3:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 3:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 1:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 1:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 8:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 4:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 3:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 3:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 12:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 10:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 9:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 10:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 9:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 3:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 1:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 12:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 12:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 6:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 5:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Chicken wire cage for vining vegetables?

+6
zomo
kittykat
llama momma
givvmistamps
UnderTheBlackWalnut
greenmom
10 posters

Go down

Chicken wire cage for vining vegetables? Empty Chicken wire cage for vining vegetables?

Post  greenmom 4/29/2012, 10:43 am

I live in a wooded area of Cincinnati and have trouble with wildlife: deer, raccoons, opossums, squirrels, birds, etc. I am building my first SFG and need a relatively inexpensive way to keep these animals out. I think my best bet is a chicken wire cage like Mel shows in the book, but how do you make a cage that can accommodate a trellis and vining vegetables? Also, my 4 year old has chosen corn for her square foot. Has anyone built a cage tall enough, or a cage with a slanted roof? Any design ideas? Thanks!
greenmom
greenmom

Female Posts : 5

Back to top Go down

Chicken wire cage for vining vegetables? Empty Re: Chicken wire cage for vining vegetables?

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 4/29/2012, 12:04 pm

I will try to find the thread but there was a person last year who just gated her whole garden with fencing...including the top so it was like walking in a fenced box that was the size of her whole garden. :-)
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Chicken wire cage for vining vegetables? Empty Re: Chicken wire cage for vining vegetables?

Post  givvmistamps 4/29/2012, 2:25 pm

I don't know what the cost would be since I have little in the way of wildlife issues... What about getting one of those nets they make for keeping birds off the fruit trees, and building a fence around the garden using tall fence posts (at least 6' high) of some sort covered with that? You could rig some sort of "gate" by cutting an opening and then figuring out a way to secure it shut when you want to get in/out of the area. Then a regular trellis for vining plants within the net.

Somebody chime in and say whether this is feasible? Boffer? Anyone?
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/29/2012, 2:53 pm

I pounded 2 green fence posts in the ground beyond the trellis. Attach chicken wire (with 2 mini bungee cords) from the front of the critter cage, out and around the posts, to the back of the same critter cage. Attached again with a couple of little bungee cords. It opens up like a hinge-less fence so I could tend to the trellis.

What about the exposed top of the trellis you might ask? I didn't want deer and birds getting the snow peas, tomatoes, or green beans. So I layed a piece of chicken wire over the top and wallah. It was enough to confuse animals and birds. How many vegetables were lost to wild critters last summer? Zero.

Does it look pretty? Not really. Do I care? Nope. Is it a pain to remove? Only if I'm feeling lazy. Did it work 100% against deer, raccoon, bunnies, birds and cats? YES! And I still had plenty of resident frogs, toads whatever hopping around the veggies as natural predators.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  kittykat 4/29/2012, 6:13 pm

Great thread! Near and dear to my heart... pictures - I need pictures...

Chicken wire cage for vining vegetables? 679265
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  zomo 4/29/2012, 6:27 pm

This is my solution you might have to tweak it for some of the critters. and I have some trellis's that are in the middle. Each section of fence comes off separately so that I can lift it easily. I know its not exactly what you were looking for but thought it might give you ideasChicken wire cage for vining vegetables? SquareFootGarden2012s

Last edited by zomo on 4/29/2012, 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : can't spell)
zomo
zomo

Female Posts : 42

Back to top Go down

Chicken wire cage for vining vegetables? Empty Great design!

Post  kgooding 4/29/2012, 7:14 pm

Zomo, that looks like a great way to do it, but how did you design it so you could get in there and do your gardening (and hopefully harvesting!) I don't have a whole lot of wildlife problems, (just cats, rabbits, mice) and I'm only looking to put up a 2-3 foot fence but other than doing a cage over the garden or certain crops I can't figure out a great way to be able to remove panels for access when it comes to harvesting the low stuff and weeding. It seems that even for a 2' fence if would be nice to be able to remove a portion to get in there to work.
kgooding
kgooding

Female Posts : 51

Back to top Go down

Post  zomo 4/29/2012, 7:52 pm

kgooding wrote:Zomo, that looks like a great way to do it, but how did you design it so you could get in there and do your gardening (and hopefully harvesting!) I don't have a whole lot of wildlife problems, (just cats, rabbits, mice) and I'm only looking to put up a 2-3 foot fence but other than doing a cage over the garden or certain crops I can't figure out a great way to be able to remove panels for access when it comes to harvesting the low stuff and weeding. It seems that even for a 2' fence if would be nice to be able to remove a portion to get in there to work.
If you notice there are legs on each section. There are brackets on the side of the boxes and we just slide the section in or out so that we can get into all boxes and we get to the middle through two gates. One that hasn't been built yet hence we have a wheelbarrow in front of it LOL It is a work in progress.
zomo
zomo

Back to top Go down

Post  kittykat 4/29/2012, 8:10 pm

Zomo! What a great idea! Don't you just love how inventive and resourceful we all are as individuals? Get us together in a large group like this and the creativity is amazing! Thanks for posting the pics!

Another thought I had was what about one of those greenhouse structures or boat cover structure thingies without the tarp/poly over it and using bird netting somehow instead? That would be for someone who needs to keep critters from getting in at the top, too... Sometimes people are getting rid of their boat cover structures or old greenhouse frames on Craigs list, etc...
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  greenmom 4/29/2012, 10:11 pm

I love all your ideas. Please send more pictures, if you can! Also, if I build just a fence and not a cage, how high does the fence have to be to keep out deer? My dad (who hunts) said deer can jump 6 feet from a standstill. I want to keep all my hard work safe, but I also don't want to break the bank or this won't be fun anymore. Keep the ideas coming! Thanks!
greenmom
greenmom

Female Posts : 5

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 4/29/2012, 10:15 pm

My son in law finally had to put an electric fence around his garden. That's keeping the deer out.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/29/2012, 10:20 pm

My neighbor said that if a fence is angled outward or has a row of bushes planted inside or outside it, a deer is far less likely to attempt jumping it, even when it's only 5' tall.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 4/29/2012, 11:07 pm

kittykat wrote:Zomo! What a great idea! Don't you just love how inventive and resourceful we all are as individuals? Get us together in a large group like this and the creativity is amazing! Thanks for posting the pics!

Another thought I had was what about one of those greenhouse structures or boat cover structure thingies without the tarp/poly over it and using bird netting somehow instead? That would be for someone who needs to keep critters from getting in at the top, too... Sometimes people are getting rid of their boat cover structures or old greenhouse frames on Craigs list, etc...

This is an excellent idea. Something like this:

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/2983533206.html

Covered with deer netting:

http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Gardener-15464-100-Foot-Netting/dp/B000A286YU

Or if needed it could be covered with shade cloth.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  kittykat 4/29/2012, 11:13 pm

@lindacol - yes - that's exactly what I was thinking... I have a resident peacock that would pick every single seedling out of my SFGs if I left them uncovered. I made cages for them, which really work, but they are mildly annoying to get on and off... The boat-cover/netting idea might be better for me...

Chicken wire cage for vining vegetables? Apr16-10
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/30/2012, 10:03 am

On the right side you can see the chicken wire is attached to the front of the critter cage, pulled out around the two green fence posts. Oops the picture only captured one green post. Anyway, attached chicken wire to the back of the same critter cage. Use bungees to attach to front and back of critter cage. Easy to detach and get to the trellis. Also put a piece of chicken wire on top of the exposed area. Must have totally confused animals, as no veggies were lost.

Chicken wire cage for vining vegetables? Gina_s27
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 5/1/2012, 1:29 pm

Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  STLmama 4/15/2013, 8:57 am

[/quote]
If you notice there are legs on each section. There are brackets on the side of the boxes and we just slide the section in or out so that we can get into all boxes and we get to the middle through two gates. One that hasn't been built yet hence we have a wheelbarrow in front of it LOL It is a work in progress. [/quote]

Zomo-I am sooo impressed by your design! Its ingenious & exactly what I've been wanting to do! This is my first year of square foot gardening so I have alot to learn.

I realize I'm a bit late to this thread but maybe you'll get a notification & be able to help me, I'd really appreciate it!

Did you use 1x1 wood pieces for the chicken wire frame?
What way did you find was easiest to secure the wire to the frame?...staples?
How did you attach the brackets to your raised bed?...it looks like you used some kind of metal ring but even after enlarging the photo, I couldn't quite tell what you used.

Again, what an ingenious idea!
STLmama
STLmama

Back to top Go down

Post  zomo 4/15/2013, 12:16 pm

Yes we used 1x1, the brackets we rounded and screwed into the wood on either side. We used staples to staple the chicken wire and tried to staple to the underside so we don't scrape our hands. Thank you for your inquiry Smile
zomo
zomo

Back to top Go down

Post  STLmama 4/15/2013, 8:45 pm

zomo wrote:Yes we used 1x1, the brackets we rounded and screwed into the wood on either side. We used staples to staple the chicken wire and tried to staple to the underside so we don't scrape our hands. Thank you for your inquiry Smile

Thank you so much for replying! By any chance do you have a closer image of how you attached the bracket to the raised bed? Do you happen to know what size brackets you used?
STLmama
STLmama

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down