Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
This Big Bag Bed, is it a bunch of baloney? Toplef10This Big Bag Bed, is it a bunch of baloney? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

This Big Bag Bed, is it a bunch of baloney? I22gcj10This Big Bag Bed, is it a bunch of baloney? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
This Big Bag Bed, is it a bunch of baloney? Toplef10This Big Bag Bed, is it a bunch of baloney? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

This Big Bag Bed, is it a bunch of baloney? I22gcj10This Big Bag Bed, is it a bunch of baloney? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

This Big Bag Bed, is it a bunch of baloney?

+17
floyd1440
walshevak
cheyannarach
jgiedra
boffer
Felicity
AvaDGardner
Gena575
UnderTheBlackWalnut
H_TX_2
bwaynef
plantoid
Chopper
JeanneRamick
littlejo
stripesmom
trukrebew
21 posters

Go down

This Big Bag Bed, is it a bunch of baloney? Empty This Big Bag Bed, is it a bunch of baloney?

Post  trukrebew 4/9/2012, 10:25 pm

I just got this GreenDeals offer on the "quickest" way to build your raised bed....instantly!

Big Bag Bed
"Just Unfold, Fill, & Plant!"

It's some kind of revolutionary fabric, called a Smart Pot that, unlike our good ol' wood beds, will release extra heat in the summer and air prune the roots. Even at the discount offered, I'm not buying what they're selling! LOL. Anybody ever heard of a Smart Pot before?
trukrebew
trukrebew

Male Posts : 129

Back to top Go down

This Big Bag Bed, is it a bunch of baloney? Empty Re: This Big Bag Bed, is it a bunch of baloney?

Post  stripesmom 4/9/2012, 11:04 pm

This looks like ground fabric that has been sewen into the shape of a bag that sells for $33. I had to laugh when I read this reason to buy one

"Discourages ground pets such as gophers and moles"

Never had a pet gopher or mole before, lol. I think for the money, I'd either sew my own, or just do the Mel's method of building a box.
stripesmom
stripesmom

Back to top Go down

This Big Bag Bed, is it a bunch of baloney? Empty 'Pet' gopher or mole!

Post  littlejo 4/9/2012, 11:28 pm

Love it! Have to get a 'pet' for my dogs! The only thing that will keep out a gopher or a mole, is hardware cloth or plywood. They'd eat that material for lunch!

Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

This Big Bag Bed, is it a bunch of baloney? Empty Re: This Big Bag Bed, is it a bunch of baloney?

Post  JeanneRamick 4/9/2012, 11:30 pm

[quote="trukrebew"... will release extra heat in the summer and air prune the roots. [/quote]

Air prune? WTHeck?!
JeanneRamick
JeanneRamick

Female Posts : 49

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 4/10/2012, 12:37 am

It said discourage, not stop. LOL. I think it is a great idea. Can they make then square now?
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 4/10/2012, 6:53 am

Loads of guys over here in the UK use empty one ton builders bags that used to contain sand or gravels etc.

They are made from heavy duty woven polypropylene and are used as 36 inch raised beds on concrete for all sorts of crops ,they don't stay square very long they slump like a couch potato infront of the TV with a tinnie & a pizza in each hand.
Some people surround them with wooden or plastic pallets to keep them square & bing them secure /inplace with steel or poly propfour industrial banding .

They dry out like mad , after two years the sunlight has degraded to material so much they split apart if they are not encased in the bound up pallets..

Because the bags are nearly three feet high that's a heck of a lot of MM to make and waste.

Those that used well manured garden soil /improved garden soil have to shovel in the one ton and then do something with it once the bags split.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  bwaynef 4/10/2012, 8:51 am

JeanneRamick wrote:
trukrebew wrote:... will release extra heat in the summer and air prune the roots.

Air prune? WTHeck?!

Roots won't grow into the air/light. When the root reaches open space where it can dry out (and/or light) it will die back. That causes the root to ramify and a new root to split and grow. Eventually this leads to lots of the good little feeder roots!

(Much has been made of this method lately (though implemented a little differently) in Bonsai circles as a method of quickly increasing trunk caliper due to the increased capability of water/nutrient uptake of the rootball. It seems to work.)
bwaynef
bwaynef

Back to top Go down

Post  H_TX_2 4/10/2012, 11:32 am

I have only heard the term air prune when I was reading about bamboo. It is just what bwaynef said. I guess if you are growing something like bamboo it would be useful since I have heard horror stories about removing bamboo.
H_TX_2
H_TX_2

Male Posts : 288

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 4/10/2012, 11:50 am

H_TX_2 wrote:I have only heard the term air prune when I was reading about bamboo. It is just what bwaynef said. I guess if you are growing something like bamboo it would be useful since I have heard horror stories about removing bamboo.

Check out QuiltBea's recent posts on soil blocks. At times, she uses air pruning types of pots when growing from seed for transplanting. Smile
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  Gena575 4/10/2012, 5:57 pm

We built 3 4'x4'x8"beds for about the cost of 1 of those...I think I'll pass LOL!

And, googling the phrase "air pruning pot" wasn't one of my finer moments. My poor husband happened to look over at the site I landed on and his face affraid
Gena575
Gena575

Female Posts : 42

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 4/10/2012, 9:24 pm

By the time you support Plantoid's countrymen's bags with palets, you might as well build a SFG!

"they slump like a couch potato infront of the TV with a tinnie & a pizza in each hand" Plant you crack me up!
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

Post  Felicity 6/29/2012, 6:53 pm

As a senior citizen living in a very rural area with 400' of raised beds, I still want to garden but have to find easier ways to increase my production and fight the voles. I bought 2 smart pots a couple of years ago and have not been overly pleased with the amount of produce grown in them but the pots themselves are holding up well in the southern sun. Got a big bag bed this year and must admit it was not an issue to fill it by myself; I had anticipated the sides collapsing as I worked. Am growing French marigolds and 2 winter squash in it and have 8 large squash. It sits on pebbles to ensure good drainage. You young folks can build your own raised beds ... wanting to be independent, this is working for me. Hate to disagree with all of the other posts since I am a newbie to the forum, but I am thinking about buying another!!
Felicity
Felicity

Female Posts : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/29/2012, 7:00 pm

Good for you, Felicity. Your independence is admirable! Keep up the good work. clap
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

This Big Bag Bed, is it a bunch of baloney? Empty smart pots

Post  jgiedra 6/29/2012, 9:57 pm

I received several smart pots of various sizes this year as a trial for my garden via the store where I work (who sells them). I planted potatoes in one, cherry tomatoes in another, and I have 2 with fennel. I used mostly Lobster Compost as the medium. Most things are growing well, won't know about the potatoes until I get them out of there...

Overall I don't think they're a bad idea for folks with limited space, they can be moved around to follow the sun, and they hold their shape well. I fell like these dry out faster than my beds--perhaps adding a moisture retaining agent could help.

Anyway, my store has them on sale now for $3-4 so I'll probably pick up a few and start thinking of what else I can do with them.....
jgiedra

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 6/30/2012, 1:24 am

boffer wrote:Good for you, Felicity. Your independence is admirable! Keep up the good work. This Big Bag Bed, is it a bunch of baloney? 679265

+1 Welcome to the forum Felicity!!!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 6/30/2012, 1:56 am

Welcome Felicity,

Always glad to find another tarheel interested in SFG. Where in Eastern NC are you.

I am using pre made 4x4 kits from a big box store and a lot of 5 gal buckets.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 6/30/2012, 7:00 am

Felicity wrote:As a senior citizen living in a very rural area with 400' of raised beds, I still want to garden but have to find easier ways to increase my production and fight the voles. I bought 2 smart pots a couple of years ago and have not been overly pleased with the amount of produce grown in them but the pots themselves are holding up well in the southern sun. Got a big bag bed this year and must admit it was not an issue to fill it by myself; I had anticipated the sides collapsing as I worked. Am growing French marigolds and 2 winter squash in it and have 8 large squash. It sits on pebbles to ensure good drainage. You young folks can build your own raised beds ... wanting to be independent, this is working for me. Hate to disagree with all of the other posts since I am a newbie to the forum, but I am thinking about buying another!!

Good for you Felicity!!!

I have never seem one of those pre-made raised beds but am sure they will be on sale mid to late summer. Built mine but it was tough carrying all the material 50 yards and then contructing them and in a couple of years probably would not be able to do as much.

They seem to be doing quite well for you and that is all that counts. How are you doing will all that heat?
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

This Big Bag Bed, is it a bunch of baloney? Empty Raised Beds in Extreme Heat

Post  Felicity 6/30/2012, 10:46 am

Thanks for asking about the heat - garden is suffering despite watering daily and using shade cloth. I have plastic English potato beds and cedar beds in addition to the smart pot fabric pots and really see no difference in one drying out faster than the other. And I do use Mel's method of intensive planting which makes it tougher for everything to survive this heat ... even with lots of peat and compost.

Kay - I am just off interstate 64 in a small rural community called Dardens in Martin County.
Felicity
Felicity

Female Posts : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana 6/30/2012, 11:55 am

walshevak wrote:I am using pre made 4x4 kits from a big box store and a lot of 5 gal buckets.

Kay
Kay, how long have you had the pre-made boxes? I bought one from the "orange" big box store and wondered how long they will last.

Welcome Felicity glad you\'re here

Lee
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Female Posts : 237

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 6/30/2012, 3:03 pm

This is my second year. Holding up fine so far.
Putting them together in spring 2011. 3/12 beds
This Big Bag Bed, is it a bunch of baloney? 3_and_10

Kay

Last edited by walshevak on 6/30/2012, 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add pics)

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  squaredeal 6/30/2012, 7:52 pm

big bag bed video I think it looks like a great idea. Especially if you can't have a permanent bed.
squaredeal
squaredeal

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 7/1/2012, 7:29 pm

Felicity , I've just viewed the vid clip of the big bag bed.

I didn't realize they were the culture ring type things , I was expecting a four sided bag ...deeper than the base is across .

They could do well on my patio slabs if they were about a foot or more deep .

What is the depth of yours and how far across is the biggest one , please ?

( The potato bags I used this year were not quite the success implied by the sellers .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 7/1/2012, 9:55 pm

Here is a grow bag that has potatos growing in it.

This Big Bag Bed, is it a bunch of baloney? Dscn0645

and the harvest I got from it last week.
This Big Bag Bed, is it a bunch of baloney? Dscn0831

and one called a salad sack that collapsed on the edges.

This Big Bag Bed, is it a bunch of baloney? Dscn0739
I found they dried out quickly.

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 7/1/2012, 10:43 pm

Felicity wrote:As a senior citizen living in a very rural area with 400' of raised beds, I still want to garden but have to find easier ways to increase my production and fight the voles. I bought 2 smart pots a couple of years ago and have not been overly pleased with the amount of produce grown in them but the pots themselves are holding up well in the southern sun. Got a big bag bed this year and must admit it was not an issue to fill it by myself; I had anticipated the sides collapsing as I worked. Am growing French marigolds and 2 winter squash in it and have 8 large squash. It sits on pebbles to ensure good drainage. You young folks can build your own raised beds ... wanting to be independent, this is working for me. Hate to disagree with all of the other posts since I am a newbie to the forum, but I am thinking about buying another!!

Felicity sometimes you just have to do what you CAN do and this is what you can do! No one will fault you for that! Some plant in pots and different containers for lots of different reasons! Sounds like your garden is going well!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  Treefrog 8/24/2012, 1:17 pm

I use smart pots and geopots and have had great success with them. They are great and thats all I use anymore when I grow in containers. For beginners that tend to over water they are great cause the the whole pot drains. The geo pots are better quality material I think I have used both and perfer geo. My hot pepper plants love them aslo I have grown green beans carrots , tomatoes, and watermelon in them. They also last pretty long if you take care of them Ive had mine for 3 seasons so far and still doing good. I let mine dry out in the sun empty in between plantings and brush out the dead roots and dirt that stick to them.
Treefrog
Treefrog

Male Posts : 15

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum