Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello, newbie from North Florida Toplef10Hello, newbie from North Florida 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello, newbie from North Florida I22gcj10Hello, newbie from North Florida 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello, newbie from North Florida Toplef10Hello, newbie from North Florida 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello, newbie from North Florida I22gcj10Hello, newbie from North Florida 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello, newbie from North Florida

5 posters

Go down

Hello, newbie from North Florida Empty Hello, newbie from North Florida

Post  givvmistamps 4/1/2012, 8:44 pm

Hello! Hello, newbie from North Florida 61949 Not sure which regional board I should be part of, as I think I could possibly join either of 2. I'm not on a coast here; it takes nearly 2 hours to get to a beach and weather here is a bit different from nearby cities.

I read the original SFG book when I was taking a college course in organic gardening, and always wanted a spot to plant my own...but it never seemed to happen until finally my husband & I were able to buy a house last year. I purchased the New SFG last summer, but life conspired to keep me from trying it until now.

It looks like I'm rather late in the season for getting started, but we're giving it a go anyway. Since we have plenty of seeds and only 2 boxes, I will plant more in the fall when I can expect better results...but my boys and I really want to start now! So, we're getting it set up during spring break, and I'm muddling through figuring out what to plant now, what to wait on, and where in the box everything should go.

Here's hoping I can at least get some things to grow, so my boys don't lose heart and interest!
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Hello, newbie from North Florida Empty Re: Hello, newbie from North Florida

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 4/1/2012, 9:37 pm

glad you\'re here givvmistamps!

Please feel free to participate in whatever threads interest you. The regional threads are for those of us in the same general climate to discuss specifics to that climate like what we are planting and when...if you fit in more than one region, that's just dandy! Smile

I'm in Illinois - but I get a LOT of how-tos out of the planting and progress videos that my friends in the PNW put up, for example... Smile

I will let someone more familiar with your area respond to what to plant now...but we definitely look forward to hearing about your progress! Happy to have you here! Smile

UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 4/2/2012, 3:47 am

Hello, newbie from North Florida 654548 givvmistamps!
I am your neighbor St.Augustine Beach. You are in the coastal and tropical south region to be sure, but don't let that coastal thing confuse you much of the region is not coastal at all. We are blessed with a long growing season so there are still lots of things you can plant. I just planted pole beans the other day. There are some real heat lovers like blackeyed peas and okra that it is still kinda too early for. But right now my suggestions (if you like to eat them) are cucumbers, mellons, winter and summer squash, peppers and tomatoes from transplants not seeds, to begin with. Your local ag. office will have a complete list of what to plant and when to plant it.

Last year I planted a great heat loving tomato called Sun King at the end of April and they were the only toms that still set fruit when it was over 90 degrees plus they were prolific to boot. I think I got the transplants at Ace but it may have been home deopt sorry I don't remember.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/2/2012, 5:39 am

Thanks for the welcome! It's so nice to have a place where I can confer with others on this; most of my friends (and sadly, my husband) have little interest in or time for gardening.

My husband pointed out last night that I have plenty of seeds and only two boxes plus a few planters, so I can go ahead and plant what I want. If it fails, I'll try again in the fall or next year! I'll definitely have seeds left over; I did try to select things that at least said "heat tolerant" if not "heat loving". I'm working on my plan now, and getting more excited to see how things turn out. Someone on one of the other boards mentioned plangarden.com, so I've been playing with that and things seem to be coming together now. It's so nice to have the visuals.

Shannon1, I will look for that tomato you mentioned; the transplants are something I was waiting to pick up until we got the boxes assembled (which will hopefully happen today). We have both Ace and Home Depot here, so if it's in town, I'll find it.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 4/2/2012, 6:32 am

waiting until the boxes are ready may be a good idea
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincinnati 4/2/2012, 7:57 am

givvmistamps wrote:Hello! Hello, newbie from North Florida 61949 ... It looks like I'm rather late in the season for getting started, but we're giving it a go anyway. Since we have plenty of seeds and only 2 boxes, I will plant more in the fall when I can expect better results...but my boys and I really want to start now! So, we're getting it set up during spring break, and I'm muddling through figuring out what to plant now, what to wait on, and where in the box everything should go.

Here's hoping I can at least get some things to grow, so my boys don't lose heart and interest!

I'm in southern AL along the Gulf. You may be a bit late on starting many veggies from seed but you may get a small harvest from some plants. There are some flowers that will do fine. I'd recommend going to a gardening supply or farmers coop and buying plants. you can probably get a few tomato plants that are a little more mature than normal. They don't really take off until they are transplanted. They may not grow to 9 feet tall, but you will probably still get a harvest.
Cincinnati

Back to top Go down

Post  BillOcala 4/2/2012, 9:13 am

Hello from Ocala. I strongly recommend that you include a Cherry Tomato variety in your first try. They are 100% easier to grow and I wouldn't want you to get discouraged by relying only on the harder types. There are all sorts of problems you can run into with larger tomatoes (splitting no fruit etc etc). Cherry Tomatoes are pretty much guaranteed you will get tons of fruit. If you can find Burpee's "Sweet 100" those grow really good and taste great.

Last edited by BillOcala on 4/2/2012, 9:16 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : bad typing.)
BillOcala
BillOcala

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/4/2012, 3:35 am

Thank you, everyone, for the welcome! It's great to see some advice from people in my growing region. I look forward to getting to know you all as the season progresses.

Well, I went out and found some plants...the Sun King tomatoes weren't anywhere to be found, but I found one called Heatmaster that looked promising. Nothing terribly mature that I could locate, so I'll do what I can. I posted a couple pics of my boxes (and my men doing the heavy work I can't do Wink) and a list of what I'm going to try here: https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t11322-my-1st-sfg-2012#109887

I know I'm being a bit ambitious about what I am going to start from seed, but I already have the seeds (I thought this garden was going to happen last year), I only have one square to devote to each plant, and I don't have much $$ left to invest after buying the boxes and the soil mix. (I was sick for the past month and so I haven't been able to work.) Since we have another growing season in the fall, I plan to replant things that don't do well this summer. After all, I already have the seeds, they're a year old already, and this is a learning experiment this year. Very Happy
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down