Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 Toplef10Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 I22gcj10Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 Toplef10Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 I22gcj10Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Beginning to look like garden season

+12
Goosegirl
gregrenee88
quiltbea
littlesapphire
CCgirl75
herblover
Kate888
UnderTheBlackWalnut
RoOsTeR
walshevak
shannon1
CindiLou
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 Empty Another Greenhouse

Post  CindiLou 6/23/2012, 4:14 pm

Got my late Mother's Day from hubby! A bigger greenhouse! (6x8.) We were at Harbor Freight and I really wanted one. Hubby said he knew I had used every inch of the popup one(5x5). I will still use it in the spring too!

Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 My_gre10

I had read all the reviews and so am going to make sure I have silicon and self drilling screws on the panels. Seems they can blow out if the clips aren't in just perfect.

So next week for the base material lol..then the next payday for the silicone, ect..

Will be ready to do some fall planting inside!

Oh, and have some temp controlled hinges spotted for the window!
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 Empty Re: Beginning to look like garden season

Post  gregrenee88 6/23/2012, 10:31 pm

CindiLou wrote:We are finally getting some rain. It has been dry this month so I have had to water a couple times a week.
Have had three extra grandkids, 13/12/7 for the last three weeks so I was really tired. This was plus the 6/3 ones I have regular.

The herb bed bed isn't growing too fast. It all looks good, just slow.
Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 Dscn0610

Celery is really slow growing.
Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 Dscn0611

I notice in some of your beds you have short(what looks like pvc pipes) around inside edge. What are those used for?
Renee thinking

Lettuce and peas are just about done. Will have to figure out what to put there or save till fall planting.
Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 Dscn0612

The red husky cherry is loaded already,
Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 Dscn0613

I need to get another strand or two on the french weave. These are mariglobe (determinate). Several tomatoes on it now.
Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 Dscn0614

Time for the next planting of blue bush beans.
Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 Dscn0615

Swiss Chard and carrots are growing well on the end with brussel sprouts.
Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 Dscn0616

Peppers are on the opposite end with broccoli going crazy behind them.
Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 Dscn0618

Biggest sweet banana peppers, there are a few little bells also..
Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 Dscn0617

The garlic is ready ..the early kind...will have to get that done tomorrow.
I have loofah on one end and sugar pie pumpkin on the other. Theoretically the loofah will go over the top and the pumpkin on the ground once the garlic is done. They are really slow growing. Seems all my squash type are slow this year.
Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 Dscn0619

Zucchini is a little small yet.
Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 Dscn0620

Musk melon is starting to get going.
Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 Dscn0624

Kidney beans are doing great. Cucumber and pole beans in the back. They are about ready for me to string the cords. Will have to get that done in the next few days.
Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 Dscn0622

The potato onions are ready! I got them pulled...I will spread them out tomorrow and take a pic..was a nice harvest for the first year. Now to make sure I understand how to work them lol..
more squares for royal burgundy beans lol..
This square was based on Mel's first book. I pulled the onions and it was soo dry! I will do the beans in it, then this fall this one will be moved and switched to MM.
Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 Dscn0623
gregrenee88
gregrenee88

Female Posts : 280

Back to top Go down

Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 Empty Re: Beginning to look like garden season

Post  CindiLou 6/24/2012, 1:32 am

Hi Renee...If I remember I put short pieces of pv inside to slide smaller gauge in for my hoops.If I forget or get the bed done before hubby cuts the pieces I put them on the outside lol..
CindiLou
CindiLou

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 6/24/2012, 3:01 am

I use plastic or tulle on the hoops and can protect the plants and extend my growing season
CindiLou
CindiLou

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 7/4/2012, 10:46 am

Watered the garden again last night...it is supposed to be 101° today! July 4th in Iowa! NOT RIGHT! This is late July/August weather!

Got up this morning early to pick and tend to the garden.

First bush beans, only a couple of cups but I will blanch and freeze till ready to can.
Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 Img_2030

First broccoli, not good. I think the heat kept if from developing big heads. This was from three plants! And the other 4 don't look to be developing any! I may just pull them next week if nothing more is going on. They are huge plants! And it will soon be time to plant the fall garden!
The largest head is maybe 3".
Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 Img_2031
CindiLou
CindiLou

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 7/4/2012, 12:02 pm

CindiLou - we are having the same thing here in SD. It is 11am and already 91F (ignore the weather sticky below - it is from out at the airport and much cooler than here in stagnant midtown!). Supposed to only get to 99F, but at the rate it is climbing it won't be pretty! This is definitely August weather, not beginning of July. Sorry about your broccoli! Looks like not even enough for a meal for 1. Sad

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 7/4/2012, 8:32 pm

CindiLou your garden looks amazing! I am so impressed with how much you have and how good everything looks. I bet the heat is too much for your broccoli and that is why they didn't grow big heads! Maybe Fall will be better!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 7/5/2012, 1:08 am

Triciasgarden wrote:CindiLou your garden looks amazing! I am so impressed with how much you have and how good everything looks. I bet the heat is too much for your broccoli and that is why they didn't grow big heads! Maybe Fall will be better!

Thanks Tricia! It don't look like enough to me! Everytime I turn around I am wishing I had more of this or that I had planted some of that! Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 889526 Good thing hubby don't mind Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 889526 Next year I want to try sorgum. Hubbys says sure lol.

I plant for me, hubby, youngest daughter, oldest daughter, and her two young boys. They all help with making the beds and give me moral support! If I need help I only have to ask. But with gardening this way I haven't had to ask yet! Wait till canning time lol...Then they will all hide! But I know where they live Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 889526

I wish I had planted more determinate tomatoes for canning. Next year I am going to do twice as many or more. When I was healthier I had two 40x40 row gardens. One half of one was tomatoes. That I miss but NOT the weeding! Was never ending then! And the watering was a nightmare!
CindiLou
CindiLou

Back to top Go down

Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 Empty First Tomato

Post  CindiLou 7/7/2012, 2:05 am

My Mariglobe finally had one that was pickable. I put it on the window sill. Didn't want something to happen to the first tomato of the season! Hubby says cherries don't count rofl He only eats raw tomatoes on sandwiches. Seems a little small but it is a heirloom so maybe will get some bigger ones later. Supposed to be a good canner. But this small isn't!

Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 Dscn0811

Picked a few more sweet banana peppers. And gathered another kind of garlic out of the garlic bed. Need to go out early and pick beans again.

Cleared out some of the broccoli. The ones that had been picked and a couple that weren't doing anything. There are a couple that MAY make a small head. Will wait a while longer on them. It gave the green peppers more room. Next year the broccoli will not be so close to peppers.

Still picking lettuce. My lettuce bed gets morning and evening shade. Only about 4 hours of direct sun then it turns dappled.

Everything is doing good for the lack of rain and hot weather.
Watered again this evening.
CindiLou
CindiLou

Back to top Go down

Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 Empty Bed Bed has a new Bed

Post  CindiLou 7/11/2012, 8:04 pm

Hubby built my bed bed a new home. We call it the Gnome Bed. I switched the Bed Bed around so it isn't getting as much water from the eves. I think it was not liking that , when we got rain!
It also gets a little more sun this direction. One end didn't get much sun the other way.
Again no rain this week and highs back in the 90s for the next week. 20% chance of rain on the weekend so keeping fingers crossed!

Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 Dscn0812

I picked a few tomatoes today. Not many so far. Even my rutgers and marglobe are not as big as softballs! Not going to have much to can if this keeps up. The smallest ones are the husky cherry tomatoes.

Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 Img_2033

CindiLou
CindiLou

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/11/2012, 9:52 pm

Nice! Well at least you SOME tomatoes coming in! Fingers crossed for rain.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 Empty I have a new baby!

Post  CindiLou 7/19/2012, 12:06 am

I watered this morning and look what was waiting!

Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 Img_2034

A baby cantaloupe. It is about ping pong ball size right now..
Behind that leaf is another one that is about marble size.

And this from someone that CAN NOT grow zuchinni! Crybaby Good thing others have it coming out their ears cause I have not gotten one to grow in years! rofl Next year 2x2 all by itself...

But for now I will baby this rofl
CindiLou
CindiLou

Back to top Go down

Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 Empty zuchinni empathy

Post  hruten 7/19/2012, 7:54 am

I thought you would like to see my zuchinni plants. the first is in my sfg and doing poorly and hasn't produced anything yet. The second I planted in an empty spot beside the house, added a couple of scoops of compost to the dirt and the monster (5'diameter, 3' tall) has beed producing zuchinni since late June! Next year I am designating 4 square feet per zuchinni plant!
Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 100_1313
Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 100_1314
hruten
hruten

Female Posts : 159

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 7/19/2012, 12:01 pm

Sad I am soo going to do at least 2x2 next year..

SVB has got mine now! grrr
CindiLou
CindiLou

Back to top Go down

Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 Empty August update

Post  CindiLou 8/11/2012, 9:21 pm

I have to go out to the garden in the morning before it gets warm. I tried growing kidney beans this year for an experiment for the kids..I think they are ready to pick and shell for drying.
Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 Dscn0914

..celery is a bust though..but it was really really hot this year and dry ..so may give it another try next year. In another spot.
I got a nice batch of potatoes despite NOT taking care of them..will definitely grow them again.

Finally have blooms on the birdhouse gourd. Might be too late..will see.

Loofa not even blooming yet but getting big. I guess they grow like zucchini..so maybe will get some. I may have got it outside too late..This was my third try to get it to germinate.
Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 Dscn0919

zucchini died off while it was hot but is trying again!
I must be the only person that can't grow zucchini! next year it will have a 2x2 all its own!
Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 Dscn0917

Blooms on pumpkin but nothing else yet.
Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 Dscn0915

Cucumbers do not like hot weather! They are just now loaded with blooms.
Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 Dscn0918

Chard looking a little raggedy so I will replant tomorrow. Bell and sweet banana peppers still going strong! Brussel sprouts are starting to sprout. I picked a big weed a couple days ago and so I know there are carrots developing! More than I got last year! I planted the empty squares a couple days ago...4 are turnips, 4 are cherry radishes.
Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 Dscn0920
Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 Dscn0922

I have another bed that has had the beans. I tore them out, the heat got them. That is the bed hubby is going to make a cold frame for so will plant carrots, arugula, more turnips, chard and a couple other things. I am going to try to keep it going as long as I can. I got Eliot Coleman's "Four Season Harvest" for a reference. And the internet is a big help. Next year will also have the greenhouse set up.
Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 Dscn0921

Nothing stops my cherry tomatoes!
CindiLou
CindiLou

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 8/11/2012, 9:25 pm

Oh and the little melon is still going!
Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 Dscn0923
CindiLou
CindiLou

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 10/2/2012, 2:15 am

Little melon died Sad no idea what happened. There was one about tennis ball size rofl..it tasted yummy! So will try again next year.

Got the 4x6 for the onions and garlic turned, hydrayted, and poo'ed. Then watered some more. I am waiting till the 2nd week to plant.

Will have to put up my plastic again on Thursday! Supposed to get down chilly then next week. I will cover the other half of the cold frame with plastic for this week...Can't get the other light on till next weekend.

We are going to get a feeling that winter is coming....
Look at those crazy temps!

Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 Weathe10
CindiLou
CindiLou

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 10/2/2012, 5:05 pm

I thought my melon died, too, when it turned all yellow with stripes. But it actually turned into a small pumpkin instead. It wasn't even midnite so I really don't know what happened other than there must have been pumpkin seeds in the cantaloup and watermelon seed packets from the store. Shocked

Wow, that's some extreme weather you got there, Cindilou. Do you have black plastic over some of your beds and then plant thru it? Is that what I'm seeing in your pics?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 10/3/2012, 2:05 am

Hi CC. That is the weed cloth I put over an empty bet that I TRIED to grow a pumpkin and a loofa in...I was trying to prevent weeds in open bed. NOT good for me lol..I didn't water enough! However, next year I am not going to do it again I don't think the water gets through good enough. But this time it will have a water grid! I have several planned to make this winter ready for spring!
I am NOT good at standing out in the heat but don't mind changing the hose over when a timer goes off lol..
I got one shooter marble size pumpkin Sad and no loofa. I am going to blame it on a bad year for gardening lol..
Oh and not that it is gonna get so cold..I have a 3" zucchini lol...
CindiLou
CindiLou

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 10/3/2012, 11:19 am

I hear ya...my zucchini decided to take off again along with the cucs recently, powdery mildew and all. Never having grown either before, I have no idea what's going to happen. But our weather is a tad more even than yours, and maybe milder.

I have lots of painters plastic and blankets at the ready to throw over my squares when the time comes. Are you going to try extending your season? Maybe that zucchini would have a chance...*shrug*

CC

CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 10/3/2012, 2:45 pm

Yup have hoops for plastic and the swing frame over the tomatoes to make a little greenhouse...gonna put some plastic on a tomato cage and put around the zuchini...

I am also doing a winter garden so got it growing..it is ,mainly just the nights that are bad right now
CindiLou
CindiLou

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 10/7/2012, 12:29 pm

Well so much for the hoops and plastic. My poor tomatoes and peppers just go tooo cold! Peppers were in the hoops, didn't bother the sprouts or the chard! Low of 28° with high of only 50° just didn't help the poor things. So tomatoes in the compost. Gonna pick the peppers off today then the plants with compost. Guess I am down to just my coldframe experiment! Supposed to have high of 55° today then back up to 70° for tomorrow. Crazy temps!
CindiLou
CindiLou

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 10/7/2012, 3:42 pm

I still got little green things growing in the coldframe!

Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 Dscn1211

And temps are going to improve!

Potatoes - Beginning to look like garden season - Page 2 10-7_t10
CindiLou
CindiLou

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 10/8/2012, 5:56 pm

Well, it was a good fight with the peppers & tomatoes, Cindilou! Thanks for sharing because I'm going to learn from your experience with this. Maybe I'll put a blanket over my peppers before putting on the plastic once it gets below 40's.

Did your tomatoes have plastic over them also? I only have about 5 or 6 big ones and numerous cherries left to ripen and could probably bring them in to the window sill.

CC

CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 10/9/2012, 10:54 am

Yup had plastic over a swing frame that I put over them..Just too cold. Next time I will have old blankets ready!
CindiLou
CindiLou

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2