Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello....and Help... Toplef10Hello....and Help... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello....and Help... I22gcj10Hello....and Help... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello....and Help... Toplef10Hello....and Help... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello....and Help... I22gcj10Hello....and Help... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Today at 12:11 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:52 am

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:20 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 6:37 pm

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 9/2/2024, 3:10 pm

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

» 15-Minute Garlic Sautéed Eggplant
by Scorpio Rising 8/12/2024, 7:25 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac 8/6/2024, 10:37 pm

» Golden Beets
by Scorpio Rising 8/6/2024, 7:03 pm

» Hi all!
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:56 am

» DIY Tomato Trellis for Birdie's Tall Raised beds
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:48 am

» Got zucchini? Toot your own horn!
by OhioGardener 8/5/2024, 9:17 am

» Compost not hot
by Aintyergrandpaschickenpoo 8/5/2024, 8:29 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by nrstooge 8/1/2024, 6:57 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello....and Help...

+5
shannon1
quiltbea
WardinWake
CindiLou
Twin Momma
9 posters

Go down

Hello....and Help... Empty Hello....and Help...

Post  Twin Momma 3/4/2012, 8:15 pm

Just moved to Colorado from Florida...I have soo much to learn! I'm having a terrible time waiting! I'd be fully underway by now...Frost date...what is that! :scratch:

I'm in the process of planning a new layout at a new house. My problem
is that I'm in military housing and we are landscaped with rocks...I
have seen the NASTY stuff they spray on the rocks to kill weeds and I do
not want to plant in their soil...

....soo I'm thinking 12" Square pots in 3 squares of 16 (and yes I
realize that's 48 pots)...and a cold frame and then some 10 gallons for
tomatoes.

Definitely not the most cost effective way, but do you think I can be successful? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Twin Momma
Twin Momma

Female Posts : 6

Back to top Go down

Hello....and Help... Empty Re: Hello....and Help...

Post  CindiLou 3/4/2012, 8:31 pm

Welcome! Sounds like your method will work. But your tomatoes only really have to have a pot also. Although I plant mine in 5 gal buckets with the top 6 inches as mel mix.

Which zone are you in? I know Rooster is in Loveland -zone 5b. We are starting cool weather seeds now.
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 3/4/2012, 8:35 pm

Twin Momma wrote:Just moved to Colorado from Florida...I have soo much to learn! I'm having a terrible time waiting! I'd be fully underway by now...Frost date...what is that! :scratch:

I'm in the process of planning a new layout at a new house. My problem
is that I'm in military housing and we are landscaped with rocks...I
have seen the NASTY stuff they spray on the rocks to kill weeds and I do
not want to plant in their soil...

....soo I'm thinking 12" Square pots in 3 squares of 16 (and yes I
realize that's 48 pots)...and a cold frame and then some 10 gallons for
tomatoes.

Definitely not the most cost effective way, but do you think I can be successful? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Howdy: What a change. I recommend that you set up Table Top beds as stated in the "All New Square Foot Gardening" book. By using Table Top Square Foot Gardens you will keep your plant roots from any possible contact with the poisoned rocks. For those crops that grow tall you can use the same idea as table top height beds just use shorter legs. Also use solid bottoms such as untreated plywood. That subject is also covered in the ANSFG book. Let us know how you will be doing your garden and we do like pictures. And ask lots of questions. The folks here love to help.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 934

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 3/4/2012, 8:46 pm

Welcome and don't give up on the plantings. You can grow all sorts of things in pots. I have nine 4x4 raised beds and three berms but I planted some pots last year of determinate tomatoes (they stop growing at a particular height for their variety), peppers, and some herbs like parsley, chives, thyme, Basil, stevia, lemon balm and rosemary. They all did well. This year I'll be also planting eggplants in pots. I'm in Maine in 5a zone so we have short summers.

Hello....and Help... 06-17-17

above: Most of my potted tomatoes and peppers in mid June. Note: The orange netting are isolation bags to save seeds.

The thing to remember is in pots they need more watering than in the garden beds. So give it a go.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4707

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 3/5/2012, 1:10 am

WardinWake wrote:Howdy: What a change. I recommend that you set up Table Top beds as stated in the "All New Square Foot Gardening" book. By using Table Top Square Foot Gardens you will keep your plant roots from any possible contact with the poisoned rocks. For those crops that grow tall you can use the same idea as table top height beds just use shorter legs. Also use solid bottoms such as untreated plywood. That subject is also covered in the ANSFG book. Let us know how you will be doing your garden and we do like pictures. And ask lots of questions. The folks here love to help.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
Hello....and Help... 654548 Hello....and Help... 68739 I have both TT's and pots, and let me be the voice of expierance it takes me a lot longer to water all the pots than the same amount of plants in the TT's.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 3/5/2012, 7:12 am

Count me in on the tabletop vote. It is easier to keep a 4x4 tabletop hydrated than 16 pots.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4370

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 3/5/2012, 4:36 pm

Twin Momma

You certainly could be successful by gardening in 12 inch pots.

Not that we are trying to influence you in any way Smile to make a Table Top Smile but, here are a couple of threads you might want to read.

REASONS TO USE A TABLE TOP

BUILDING IDEAS FOR TABLE TOPS

Many of us do use pots, for whatever reason (location, using small areas of available space, chasing the sun) and we also use lots of 5 gallon buckets.

Welcome and please keep us posted on your progress. Feel free to ask questions too.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3138

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 3/5/2012, 5:05 pm

I only use pots because I need more space and I can't build my own tabletops like I'd love to have. Its an alternative that works for me.

If you can build some tabletops or a raised bed above your terrible soil, then do so. It would be the best way.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4707

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 3/5/2012, 5:15 pm

Hi Twin Momma!

Tabletops don't have to be fancy - I have the same problem as you...bad soil due to a natural chemical secreted by black walnut trees that many veggies don't like. I didn't even put legs on my boxes. I just made 2x4 frames and we attached a piece of untreated plywood to the bottom with drainage holes per the ANSFG book. Then I set them on cinderblocks (only 1 block high - just raised them enough off the ground to avoid contact since I didn't have a need at this time for them to be higher). I did 1 4X4 this way as well. I put 4 cinderblocks under the 2x4s and 6 cinderblocks under the 4x4. I'm using them for the second year and so far so good. I, too, have other things in pots as well. Smile I do find the boxes easier to water, cover, trellis etc. Smile

glad you\'re here
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 556
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  Twin Momma 3/17/2012, 9:49 pm

My honey will finally be home in 2 weeks and he's agreed to make me some boxes! Yeah!

I Love to grow everything UP...so we are going to do 2x4's or 8's along the fence(probably 4's for easy transport if we have to move) and a 4x4 in the middle for all my low growing herbs and veggies.

I have a cold frame currently warming my seedling trays with stuff just waiting to be planted...These little buggers were supposed to take 10-14 days to sprout...after 3 they were making their appearances...hope they are happy in those trays for now and are not too early, but since they aren't in the ground yet, I can always bring them inside if necessary.

Can't wait to get going...So excited for DH to come home...for reason's other than the garden Laughing
Twin Momma
Twin Momma

Back to top Go down

Hello....and Help... Empty YELLOW STUFF

Post  Twin Momma 3/17/2012, 9:53 pm

I put a lock on my gate since it was feeling like spring....Good timing!...they came around and covered everything with that awful yellow herbicide...the whole base reeks!

Good news is it's not in my back yard!

I've moved 30 x5 ft of landscaping rocks to put weed cloth under them(only have 30ft more to go affraid )...trying to reduce chemicals...my crocus came up all mutated, most likely from years of all those awful chemicals still in the soil....
Twin Momma
Twin Momma

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 3/18/2012, 3:28 am

That is a bummer. I am so glad my land lord does not do that sort of thing. He knows how important my organic SFG is to me:D and I pay him off in tomatoes. I used milk crates stacked 2 high for my TT "legs" they are holding up just fine. I have to have it that tall as bending down for a long time is not good for my finicky ticker. You could use just one high. Got them for free from the stores I go to it is amazing what they will give you if you just ask.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 3/18/2012, 7:54 am

Hey TM. I must have forgotten to hit SEND when I replied to your first post. DUH!

One thing I said was that the next time your PCS, it would be SOOOOO worth it to add some vermiculite to you HHG shipment (if you go overseas). You'd have to get a reading on whether or not they'd allow peat since it LOOKS more agricultural than the vermiculite. Wish I'd done that when we went to Germany.

Anyway, just wanted to say Hello....and Help... 61949

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Hello....and Help... WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2053

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 3/18/2012, 8:59 am

Vermiculite is a certified shipping medium recommended for cushioning liquids. My friends in the Philippines have asked me to "cushion" the care packages I send them with vermiculite. He actually has 2 tomatos blooming now in some compost and vermiculite in Topsy Turvey type planters. We have high hopes. Only small amount each care package, but I send about 6 per year. One cushion was about 2 cuft in the 2 1/2 gallon zip lock baggies. Razz Coir bricks would make it past easier than bales of peat. Not as good but better than nothing.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4370

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum