Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Finding Mel's Mix Toplef10Finding Mel's Mix 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Finding Mel's Mix I22gcj10Finding Mel's Mix 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Finding Mel's Mix Toplef10Finding Mel's Mix 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Finding Mel's Mix I22gcj10Finding Mel's Mix 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Finding Mel's Mix

+9
curio
CharlesB
shannon1
UnderTheBlackWalnut
CindiLou
Chopper
JK
sfg4uKim
LeeAnne12
13 posters

Go down

Finding Mel's Mix Empty Finding Mel's Mix

Post  LeeAnne12 2/26/2012, 4:29 pm

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here and my first attempt at SFG, or basically gardening of any kind. We tried several years ago and it was a disaster, so we gave up. Anyway, I've bought some compost bins and have had them going since before Christmas and it still doesn't look like it has decomposed, so I think the best thing I can do is buy Mel's Mix. The problem is I can't find it, locally or online. Does anyone has a source where they buy it?

Thanks,

Lee Anne
LeeAnne12
LeeAnne12

Female Posts : 112

Back to top Go down

Finding Mel's Mix Empty Re: Finding Mel's Mix

Post  sfg4uKim 2/26/2012, 4:39 pm

I don't think it's available online. Someone will probably let you know if it's available at someplace like Lowe's or Home Depot in your area.

Most of us just get the separate ingredients ourselves - 5+ different forms of compost (making sure they don't also include peat moss), peat & coarse vermiculite. There's a Vermiculite Database here.

LOL I'm SO rude . . . Finding Mel's Mix 61949 Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Finding Mel's Mix WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JK 2/26/2012, 8:24 pm

Finding Mel's Mix 396615

Im very new myself and I had a bit of trouble with MM too. I have yet to see MM in a bag so like Kim said, mix up your own Smile. From my own search, your big box stores will usually have one or two different types of compost. I think every single store I went to had peat. Feed and seed stores will be another option for finding compost. Any local farms or even friends who have cows, horses, etc. may be a potential source for manure which if not already composted you can add to your piles and it should get them decomposing faster bounce.

My big score came from Ace Hardware. Got peat, vermiculite, and 4 different composts from one store. The fifth type gave me trouble but a local feed and seed came up with the last one I needed. Good Luck Very Happy
JK

Male Posts : 123

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 2/27/2012, 12:57 am

It is not called Mel's Mix in the stores. It is called "GardenTime Square Foot Garden Soil" There is a picture of Mel on the front of the bag. Lowes carries it and Home Depot is supposed to soon if not already.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 2/27/2012, 1:49 am

Called all over..the premix isnt in Iowa yet...grrr..Thought I might get to do the next two beds easy lol...
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 2/27/2012, 1:52 am

I feel you Cindi - I'm not sure it's in Illinois yet either. Smile
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 2/27/2012, 5:37 am

But if you get the premixed stuff you miss out on all the fun of hunting down the ingreidents and mixing it by hand.Finding Mel's Mix 46987
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  LeeAnne12 2/27/2012, 7:31 am

Thanks for the replies! I plan on making some of it. I'm just not going to have enough compost ready. It will be interesting to see which does better. I'll check the Lowes around here and see if they carry it. Has anyone ever used gin trash as one of their sources? This is the part that is way down at the bottom of the pile, so it would be decomposed.

Thanks,

Lee Anne
LeeAnne12
LeeAnne12

Back to top Go down

Finding Mel's Mix Empty Question?

Post  CharlesB 2/27/2012, 10:51 am

Hard part of Mel's mix for us is the compost, not so much the vermiculite or peat moss. Anyone know why Mel doesn't just put out a product that is the compost we can mix with our own sources of vermiculite and peat moss?

Vermiculite isn't easy to find but it easy to find in comparison to diverse compost sources.
CharlesB
CharlesB

Male Posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Finding Mel's Mix Empty GREAT idea

Post  curio 2/27/2012, 11:14 am

CharlesB wrote:Hard part of Mel's mix for us is the compost, not so much the vermiculite or peat moss. Anyone know why Mel doesn't just put out a product that is the compost we can mix with our own sources of vermiculite and peat moss?

Vermiculite isn't easy to find but it easy to find in comparison to diverse compost sources.

Now this is an item that I would buy in half a heartbeat!!
curio
curio

Location : Maritime Pacific Northwest zone 8A/B with ugly heat scale

Back to top Go down

Finding Mel's Mix Empty to mix or not to mix

Post  curio 2/27/2012, 11:19 am

I was referring to the idea of the blended compost more than the mix itself. Unfortunately, the mix is not available anywhere in our area (according to Mel's website "dealers" tab)
curio
curio

Location : Maritime Pacific Northwest zone 8A/B with ugly heat scale

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 2/27/2012, 6:03 pm

Finding Mel's Mix 654548 Leanne

Has anyone ever used gin trash as one of their sources?
What is gin trash?

I went to a nursery, a hardware, our local grange, a wal mart, a farm and garden store,as well as a county agricultural co-op, every place that would have composts. Some had the same limited types so I ended up going to all of these stores in order to get a good assortment of composts. I did end up with more than 5 types, but to me that was a bonus. Any excess blended compost is useful after harvesting each square, for replenishing the nutrients before replanting the square.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 2/27/2012, 6:51 pm

If gin trash is the remains of the cotton gin process, than yes it is good for the garden after composting. Cotton boll compost is sold in the south. My local cotton gin has a mountain of leavings behind it and I'm waiting for dryer weather to go get some FREE or $15 if I get them to fire up the front end loader and scoop it into my truck. The stuff near the bottom of the pile looks really good. I talked to an employee at the gin and he said he gets a truck full every year for his garden and gets good tomatos.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Beav395 2/27/2012, 8:33 pm

curio wrote:I was referring to the idea of the blended compost more than the mix itself. Unfortunately, the mix is not available anywhere in our area (according to Mel's website "dealers" tab)

Gardner & Bloome soil building compost is a good blended compost with more than 5 different types of compost in it.

It's what I used. It was $8.99 for a 3 cuft bag at a nursery.

I've read from other experienced SFG'ers that if you have to buy compost its a good choice.

Beav395
Beav395

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 2/27/2012, 10:19 pm

Beav395 wrote:
curio wrote:I was referring to the idea of the blended compost more than the mix itself. Unfortunately, the mix is not available anywhere in our area (according to Mel's website "dealers" tab)

Gardner & Bloome soil building compost is a good blended compost with more than 5 different types of compost in it.

It's what I used. It was $8.99 for a 3 cuft bag at a nursery.

I've read from other experienced SFG'ers that if you have to buy compost its a good choice.

I agree that Gardner and Bloome soil building compost is a good choice, check this link > Gardner and Bloome soil building compost but I want my compost to be different types and different sources too. I would add at least a couple types of compost from different sources (brands) to Gardner and Bloome.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 2/28/2012, 3:55 am

I found a picture of preparing my first batch of Mel's Mix, Gardner and Bloome was one of the sources/types of compost I used, along with composted steer manure, composted chicken manure, mushroom compost and another titled "garden" compost and less than 1 cubic foot of my own homemade compost.

Finding Mel's Mix Five_t10.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 2/28/2012, 4:08 am

walshevak wrote:If gin trash is the remains of the cotton gin process, than yes it is good for the garden after composting. Cotton boll compost is sold in the south. My local cotton gin has a mountain of leavings behind it and I'm waiting for dryer weather to go get some FREE or $15 if I get them to fire up the front end loader and scoop it into my truck. The stuff near the bottom of the pile looks really good. I talked to an employee at the gin and he said he gets a truck full every year for his garden and gets good tomatos.

Kay
What about all the pestiside they spray on that stuff?pale That is why I get organic compost. Just thinkingFinding Mel's Mix 601593
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  LeeAnne12 2/28/2012, 8:15 am

Shannon, that's the thing I worry about. I don't know enough about the pesticides/herbicides to know whether they are still there once it turns to compost. My brother gardens and he uses it and loves it. We're having "garden wars" this year. LOL He's not trying to garden organically, so it's really not an issue with him.

Lee Anne
LeeAnne12
LeeAnne12

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 3/2/2012, 3:45 am

Cotton is one of the most sprayed crops so if I were you I would skip that one just to be on the safe side. I have found my ag. extention office to be a big help. You could call yours and see if the chem. persist after composting they may even be able to track down some compost for you.Very Happy
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  LeeAnne12 3/3/2012, 9:02 pm

Shannon, would you believe I found five different kinds all at one place? I'm so happy. I'm going to order asparagus next week and get one box going. When you are mixing it up, do you just kind of "eyeball" the piles of compost, peat moss, and vermiculite?
LeeAnne12
LeeAnne12

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 3/4/2012, 1:21 am

Finding Mel's Mix 485967I use a bucket to measure them out. I'm no good at the e-ball thing. Make sure you fluff up the peat before mixing and wet the mix down in layers in the box rather than filling it with mix and then wetting it down. I use the tarp method. I put one bucket of 5-way compost, one bucket of fluffed peat and one bucket of vermiculite on to the tarp, spray just enough water to keep the dust down and mix it on the tarp buy holding the ends and drawing it this way and that way. Then when the box is 1/3 filled with mix I soak the h*ll out of it and repeat until the box is filled to the brim. The mix will settle a bit so I have some MM ready to top it off. This IMHO is the hardest part of square foot gardening. I'm not in the best of shape and mixing all that stuff is not easy for one person so if you can snag a person or two to help do it.Very Happy
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  jdnetone 3/5/2012, 11:49 am

LeeAnne12 - Did you go to Dan West garden center on 4763 Poplar Ave Memphis, TN 38117 (Corner of Poplar and Colonial)

Or the one on 12061 Highway 64 Eads, TN 38028 (12 minutes from Wolfchase)

My wife and I are planning a trip to pick up a load of the five composts needed and may go this weekend. Thanks you so much for posting this information on my introduction page this really helped.

We live in Obion County and have been gardening for a long time but we are just starting our SFG trial.

James
jdnetone
jdnetone

Male Posts : 18

http://www.dozierfarms.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LeeAnne12 3/5/2012, 6:11 pm

LeeAnne12 - Did you go to Dan West garden center on 4763 Poplar Ave Memphis, TN 38117 (Corner of Poplar and Colonial)

James, it's the one on Poplar. I don't know whether the other one has it or not. Do you come down I-40 to get to Memphis, because if you do, the other one would be more convenient. Anyway, the lady I talked to was named Vada...long "a" on the first syllable. She was really nice and helpful. Don't get it all because I haven't made it down there, yet. Smile Have a safe trip!

Lee Anne
LeeAnne12
LeeAnne12

Back to top Go down

Post  jdnetone 3/6/2012, 9:20 am

Thanks LeeAnne12

I will come down 40 and I see it on the map I will call and see if they have it it would be closer for sure.

James

PS I will be sure to save you some Wink
jdnetone
jdnetone

Male Posts : 18

http://www.dozierfarms.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down