Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
wanting to connect with Cincinnati gardeners - Page 2 Toplef10wanting to connect with Cincinnati gardeners - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

wanting to connect with Cincinnati gardeners - Page 2 I22gcj10wanting to connect with Cincinnati gardeners - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
wanting to connect with Cincinnati gardeners - Page 2 Toplef10wanting to connect with Cincinnati gardeners - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

wanting to connect with Cincinnati gardeners - Page 2 I22gcj10wanting to connect with Cincinnati gardeners - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

wanting to connect with Cincinnati gardeners

+14
WolfHeart
greenthumb_rookie
ErinAdkins
UnderTheBlackWalnut
ackeister
rebeccalizzie
Mattyboi
Glendale-gardener
nancy
madnicmom
Red-Leg
lisaphoto
mijejo
kathylynntoth
18 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

wanting to connect with Cincinnati gardeners - Page 2 Empty Re: wanting to connect with Cincinnati gardeners

Post  madnicmom 2/23/2012, 8:24 am

Welcome!

The peat moss at Menards is a smaller compressed bale (2.8 or something like that). I would go across the street to Home Depot and buy that. Menards does have cow manure in the gardening center for 1.38? per bag when I was there last week getting more lumbar.

I also purchased mushroom compost at HD for $4 a bag.

What other ingredients are you looking for?
madnicmom
madnicmom

Female Posts : 567

Back to top Go down

wanting to connect with Cincinnati gardeners - Page 2 Empty Re: wanting to connect with Cincinnati gardeners

Post  rebeccalizzie 2/23/2012, 9:48 am

madnicmom wrote:Welcome!

The peat moss at Menards is a smaller compressed bale (2.8 or something like that). I would go across the street to Home Depot and buy that. Menards does have cow manure in the gardening center for 1.38? per bag when I was there last week getting more lumbar.

I also purchased mushroom compost at HD for $4 a bag.

What other ingredients are you looking for?
Oh, that makes sense, thanks. I have a Lowes right down the street from me, I'll just grab the peat moss there. At this point I'm just looking for cheap compost! I
rebeccalizzie
rebeccalizzie

Back to top Go down

Post  lisaphoto 2/23/2012, 10:08 am

I think the zoo doo may actually be the cheapest compost b/c you buy it in bulk. I haven't bought the zoo doo, but I did buy a cubic yard of compost from there before, and it was only $30. On the facebook page we were talking about splitting some loads. I know some people said they count it as only 1 or 2 sources, but it is a blend of so many things, I don't know why it would count as more, just like home made compost does.
lisaphoto
lisaphoto

Female Posts : 361

http://www.MomentsToRememberPhotography.com

Back to top Go down

wanting to connect with Cincinnati gardeners - Page 2 Empty Suggestions for wood for boxes in Cincinnati area

Post  ackeister 2/24/2012, 9:45 am

I just joined this forum and want to thank all of you here in the Cincinnati area for your helpful resources on the best places to get items for Mel' Mix. Although I have lived in Cincy before, (with a 2-year stay in Arizona & enjoying the SFG produce there), this will be the first time that I get to have a SFG in Cincinnati. Would any of you be willing to share your experience with the different types of wood that you chose for your garden boxes? I know that the best wood is "free", yet I am willing to put an investment if the wood will last longer. Has anyone had experience with PVC Boards? Thanks again! - Amber

Last edited by ackeister on 2/24/2012, 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to add my name)
ackeister
ackeister

Back to top Go down

Post  madnicmom 2/24/2012, 12:28 pm

Hello Amber and welcome to the forum.

I , personally, use pine but cedar wood will last the longest.
madnicmom
madnicmom

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 2/24/2012, 2:45 pm

Hi Amber!

There are a few threads where members have discussed "Trex" material for beds (in response to the PVC part of your question). I'm in Illinois and I just used plain old pine as well. Some members use cedar, locust, etc. But if you type Trex into the search box in the upper left of the forum, you should get a few results where that material was discussed. glad you\'re here
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  mijejo 2/24/2012, 5:27 pm

Hi Amber,

My boxes are one year old. They are made from the least expensive wood I could get from the big box stores (pine?). So far, they are holding up well.

Where in Mason are you? I am off of Dimmick (Irwin-Simpson) between Rt. 42 and Cincinnati-Dayton Rd. This means I am only a few miles from the Mason border. I think we have another Masonite on this forum. We have quite a few folks from in, and around, Cincinnati. Welcome!
mijejo
mijejo

Back to top Go down

Post  ackeister 2/25/2012, 11:20 am

Thank you everyone! I really look forward to learning from your experience in gardening in this area. I will check out these suggestions for wood/Trex (The guy at HD suggested Trex however, the pieces weren't deep enough for 6" so I need to find another place that sells Trex) and start planning the layout of my garden. Would anyone please let me know if the FB group has started? I am interested in going in on some Zoo Doo.

mijejo - I am near Socialville Foster and Mason-Montgomery, but I have a friend that lives pretty close to you.
ackeister
ackeister

Back to top Go down

Post  ErinAdkins 2/27/2012, 11:32 pm

Hello again everyone! I'm from Greenfield. I am smack dab right between Cincy and Columbus! I am chomping at the bit to get things in my SFG. I still need to switch my soil to Mel's Mix which I am planning on doing this year. I do have a question though...Is the Insulation Vermiculite at Menards by Sungro safe to use in my beds? I haven't found any vermiculite anywhere else reasonably close to me. I am willing to travel to Cincy for a great deal on it though! Any help will be greatly appreciated.
ErinAdkins
ErinAdkins

Female Posts : 20

http://themisadventuresofanordinaryhousewife.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Red-Leg 2/28/2012, 9:44 am

Amber,

I recommend just going with the standard lumber at your local Lowes/HD. This is my first year with this, but I'm of the mindset that I'd rather spend my up front costs on quality heirloom seeds, potting soil, Mels Mix components, etc. than lumber for the beds.

Eight foot lengths of 2x10 run around $7, so you can have a 4x4 for well under $20, not factoring in conduit, rebar, pvc, & plastic (though even with that, it should be not much more than $20-25 per box). I'm using 2x10 because they are actually 1.5x9.5 and I want eight inches of Mels Mix. I'm going with eight inches because it makes the math for calculating Mels Mix really easy (4sf of each component for a 4x4, 2x8, etc.) and I've heard people have had great success with my primary crop (tomatoes) in 8" as opposed to 6".

Once my beds are established and boxes start needing replacement, I will likely look into PVC, Trex, or Cedar/Redwood. This way, my Mels Mix is already established, I have my composting systems in place and only need to deal with the cost of the actual box and can more readily absorb the far more expensive materials.
Red-Leg
Red-Leg

Back to top Go down

Post  Red-Leg 2/28/2012, 9:54 am

ErinAdkins wrote:Hello again everyone! I'm from Greenfield. I am smack dab right between Cincy and Columbus! I am chomping at the bit to get things in my SFG. I still need to switch my soil to Mel's Mix which I am planning on doing this year. I do have a question though...Is the Insulation Vermiculite at Menards by Sungro safe to use in my beds? I haven't found any vermiculite anywhere else reasonably close to me. I am willing to travel to Cincy for a great deal on it though! Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The vermiculite from Menards is perfectly safe for your garden. This was discussed here recently and a manufacturer rep even stepped in and explained it. The only "issue" (if you want to call it that) is that the insulation is not graded by size. If you want true coarse vermiculite, you can pick it up for $25 for a 4sf bag at Dayton Hydroponics. They have a Dayton and a Cincinnati location, with the Dayton being around ten minutes closer for you. They also have 1.5sf bags of worm castings and sell all kinds of other neat stuff (bat guano, organic potting soil, netting for your lattice, etc.)
Red-Leg
Red-Leg

Back to top Go down

Post  ErinAdkins 2/28/2012, 12:17 pm

Thank you!
ErinAdkins
ErinAdkins

Female Posts : 20

http://themisadventuresofanordinaryhousewife.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  greenthumb_rookie 3/6/2012, 8:03 am

That's so weird how many WC gardeners are on here! I'm also in WC off Rt42 near Dimmick.

I *just* read the new SFG. I'm going to attempt my first one this year. My yard is perfect and terrible at the same time for this. My brother is building me a raised bed soI'll have one flat space to do this and thenI just have to get my act together to get this thing rolling. I started some seeds last week b/c I just built a grow light so I'm anxiously awaiting their little arrivals:D . Now I need to go hunt down Mel's Mix components. I've read a few threads about where to go. Looks like I'll be knocking on Marvin's doors like the rest of you too.

I'm happy to have found these forums and thrilled to see all the people from the 'nati area on here too.
greenthumb_rookie
greenthumb_rookie

Back to top Go down

Post  lisaphoto 3/6/2012, 8:50 am

I was telling my mom how many people on this forum were from around our area, thinking it was a fluke. Her theory is that most of the people in Cincinnati are people whose families moved up from Kentucky and have been gardening their whole lives (she grew up in a tiny town in Kentucky and lived off the land). Wondering, does her theory hold true to all of you on here?
lisaphoto
lisaphoto

Back to top Go down

Post  Red-Leg 3/6/2012, 10:05 am

lisaphoto wrote:I was telling my mom how many people on this forum were from around our area, thinking it was a fluke. Her theory is that most of the people in Cincinnati are people whose families moved up from Kentucky and have been gardening their whole lives (she grew up in a tiny town in Kentucky and lived off the land). Wondering, does her theory hold true to all of you on here?

Not at all here. Born in Florida, raised in New Hampshire, and bounced around a bit in the army for the first part of my adult life. I'm here because of a woman. Wink

Last edited by Red-Leg on 3/6/2012, 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Red-Leg
Red-Leg

Back to top Go down

Post  Red-Leg 3/6/2012, 10:10 am

BTW - I picked up a load of Marvin's Compost on Sunday. (Boy, that Marvin is a real talker!) Now I have a big pile of compost in my backyard covered by a tarp. If the weather holds up, I'll be building my boxes this week! I just need to pickup the Peat, and I'll have all the ingredients for my MM.
Red-Leg
Red-Leg

Back to top Go down

Post  WolfHeart 3/6/2012, 10:18 am

Just wanted to say hi to all the new Cincinnati (or there abouts) gardeners. I live in Madeira and am starting my second year of SFG. I am learning from my mistakes and starting a new box this year with 5 different sources of compost. Last year I only had enough to get decent compost from a single source and my gardens suffered for it. I need to amend the older garden this year with some better compost and hope for the best Very Happy

Red-Legs - Looks like were are going to have some excellent weather over the next few days so you should beable to get your gardens up and going Very Happy

again, glad you\'re here to all the new Cincinnati gardeners
WolfHeart
WolfHeart

Male Posts : 159

http://wolfheart68.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  madnicmom 3/6/2012, 3:18 pm

LOL! Marvin and his son are both talkers!
madnicmom
madnicmom

Back to top Go down

Post  mrk 3/11/2012, 11:38 am

Wow, really cool to see how many people so close to me are into this. I live just off of West Chester Rd at the bottom of the hill just West of Rt. 42 - I have now seen at least 5 people within 2 miles of me.

This is my first year of SFG - and it is nice to see a community.

I used to run a small landscaping company and because of this I own a trailer and some other equipment. I would be willing to facilitate a group purchase and even delivery of Mel's mix ingredients - I saw the deal on cubic yards of compost from Marvins - and I thought to myself - "self, you are making three 4x4 beds - what in the heck are you going to do with three cubic yards of Mel's mix?"

Seems to me that we could all save some cheese by going in together on a batch.

I do not mean to be the new guy jumping in and stirring things up, but this seemed like a neat idea.
mrk
mrk

Back to top Go down

Post  WolfHeart 3/11/2012, 3:24 pm

glad you\'re here to the forums mrk. There are what seem to be a lot of us from the Cincinnati and surrounding areas.

If there is interest in a shared purchase of zoo doo I would be interested in a small portion for my self. If you need anything let any of us know. Also if you are on face book there is a private group. I think that nancy can invite you to the group if your interested.

Can't wait to hear about your plans for the year and how it works out for you.

~John
WolfHeart
WolfHeart

Male Posts : 159

http://wolfheart68.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  lisaphoto 3/11/2012, 7:44 pm

I just bought the compost from Marvin's and was disappointed. It isn't just zoo doo. They have a 20 year old compost pile that they bury every thing in. The compost I got was dry, with clumps as hard as rocks, plus some actual rocks. It didn't seem very fertile.
lisaphoto
lisaphoto

Back to top Go down

Post  mrk 3/12/2012, 11:50 am

Thanks for the warm welcome. I built my boxes and grids a few days back. Still finalizing what and how much of each I want to plant. Mels mix is my next step.

Started late last year with some bag gardens and some herbs in pots - excited to move to this next step.

So are we considering marvins stuff as one source or a couple?

Oops justc read lisaphotos post above. Maybe they are not such a good choice?
mrk
mrk

Back to top Go down

Post  lisaphoto 3/12/2012, 10:06 pm

I was going to count Marvin's as all my sources b/c it is a blended compost. It has vegetation, multiple animal waste, food waste, Christmas trees, you name it. I'm sure it will probably be fine after it gets wet, I think I should have wet it before trying to blend it. They have a giant compost pile, then they sift it, and put it under a shelter so it no longer get any moisture. So I am hoping anything clumped together will soften up now that it has been rained on. I added a few bags of mushroom compost to be safe, and the garden is not totally filled yet, so I may add another source, maybe composted cow manure.
lisaphoto
lisaphoto

Back to top Go down

Post  IThas2Bme 3/23/2012, 11:05 am

Thanks all for sharing your compost sources in SW Ohio. Brand new to gardening and the SF concept is too interesting not to try. My box is empty and I'm on the compost hunt. I've not seen anyone mention it but I found Re-Vita Compost (poultry/kelp/humate) for sale in Beavercreek at Deals Landscaping.

That plus my cow & mushroom I still need 2 more. Sounds like the Zoo Doo from Marvins will round me out.

Lisa - thanks for sharing your experience with it.
IThas2Bme
IThas2Bme

Back to top Go down

Post  lalawson 4/7/2013, 8:34 am

I know this thread is a year old. Not sure how I saw it but was pleased to see my friend Kathy started it. Hi Kathy lol.... I'm also from the area (Monroe) and went to Couch's in New Miami yesterday. I think we got really good prices on the vermiculite (course) and I was able to find 2 different kinds of compost. I'm just now starting SFG and will be filling my beds next week.

I was wondering if that FB page ever got started?
lalawson
lalawson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next