Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Green Beans Toplef10Green Beans 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Green Beans I22gcj10Green Beans 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Green Beans Toplef10Green Beans 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Green Beans I22gcj10Green Beans 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Today at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Today at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Green Beans

+7
kyrocketscientist
shannon1
Patty from Yorktown
ashort
Ha-v-v
LaborDay RN
epell
11 posters

Go down

Green Beans Empty Green Beans

Post  epell 2/10/2012, 12:00 am

I was wondering what type of green bean everyone grows. I am looking for a good bush green bean that continues to produce in the insane heat of summer. I generally grow jade and tenderette until it get seriously hot. Then I grow hurricanes. I hear Nash are suppose to do good in the heat.
epell
epell

Back to top Go down

Green Beans Empty Re: Green Beans

Post  LaborDay RN 2/10/2012, 12:36 am

I've read some really good things about rattlesnake beans here on the boards. I'm going to give them a try this summer. I'm in the desert so we will see how they do in heat! affraid
LaborDay RN
LaborDay RN

Female Posts : 77

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 2/10/2012, 7:40 am

epell wrote:I was wondering what type of green bean everyone grows. I am looking for a good bush green bean that continues to produce in the insane heat of summer. I generally grow jade and tenderette until it get seriously hot. Then I grow hurricanes. I hear Nash are suppose to do good in the heat.

I was reading where bush beans dont produce all season long like the pole beans do. I will hunt up that article. I really like bush beans so I didnt have to have trellises every where, Im also all about the least amount of work. Smile

Let me see if I can find that article, wish I knew what I put in the search engine that day Smile
Ha-v-v

Last edited by Ha-v-v on 2/10/2012, 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  ashort 2/10/2012, 10:51 am

I just used a blue lake bush style. I planted 4 squares at a time in two batches. Each set produced well for 2-3 weeks and then tapered off drastically, not sure if was the heat or if they just were done. I am going to use the same variety this year and will plant earlier. One thing I learned from beans - if they stop producing, just pull them up and replant with something else...
ashort
ashort

Male Posts : 520

Back to top Go down

Post  Patty from Yorktown 2/10/2012, 12:25 pm

Hi,

It is normal for bush beans to produce in two waves. The first wave will be a bit larger than the second wave, then the plants are done. Pole beans on the other hand will start producing beans a bit later in the season, but they will not stop. For both type of beans you do need to keep them picked or the plant thinks it has been successful in life and stops producing seeds. I find that bush beans are easier to freeze (or can), because the harvest comes at once. I also plant both types of beans because they produce at different times. Pole beans bridge the gap between bush bean harvests. Hope this helps.

Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown

Back to top Go down

Post  epell 2/10/2012, 3:02 pm

Thanks for all the responses and replies. I do plant both varieties (pole and bush) I am just hunting a better heat tolerant bush green bean. I do a lot of canning and like to have a large batch at once to process. I have considered crossing a few of my fav varieties and seeing if I can come up with something that will do better in the heat and humidity. My family is full of a bunch of farmers but they are all up north so I am kinda w/o any of the heat loving advice.
Hav-v-v I look forward to reading that article.
epell
epell

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 2/10/2012, 4:22 pm

Here is a link that talks about the differences, not the same exact link I was looking for.
http://voices.yahoo.com/why-bean-plants-vary-height-6410170.html?cat=32

I think the idea of crossing some varieties is awesome! I am too new to think of it Smile lolol

I hope you find a bean that works for our area Smile I will be looking Smile
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 2/11/2012, 12:08 am

epell wrote:Thanks for all the responses and replies. I do plant both varieties (pole and bush) I am just hunting a better heat tolerant bush green bean. I do a lot of canning and like to have a large batch at once to process. I have considered crossing a few of my fav varieties and seeing if I can come up with something that will do better in the heat and humidity. My family is full of a bunch of farmers but they are all up north so I am kinda w/o any of the heat loving advice.
Hav-v-v I look forward to reading that article.
I don't know if you like geen soy beans but they did well in the heat down here for me last summer.sunny I have not tried them but Tepary beans grow in the desert.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  epell 2/11/2012, 6:41 pm

Ha-v-v wrote:Here is a link that talks about the differences, not the same exact link I was looking for.
http://voices.yahoo.com/why-bean-plants-vary-height-6410170.html?cat=32

I think the idea of crossing some varieties is awesome! I am too new to think of it Smile lolol

I hope you find a bean that works for our area Smile I will be looking Smile
Ha-v-v

My most favorite plant breeding book is by Carol Deppe Breed your own vegetable varieties It;s a great read for any gardener. This book and seed to seed are my bedside table reading.
epell
epell

Back to top Go down

Post  kyrocketscientist 2/11/2012, 6:56 pm

I use to work for Green Giant and all they plant are Blue Lake. I think they are the one that breed the Blue Lake to start with. At their cannery, the bean is the quickest to process. They grow the bean so that all the beans in the field are mature at the same time. One pass through the field with the picker, and on to the next.

I plant the Blue Lake, and when it is mature, I just go out into the heat, pull up the whole plant, take it inside where it is cool and do my thing...John
kyrocketscientist
kyrocketscientist

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 2/12/2012, 7:05 am

I tried bush beans last year and got a lot in a short period of time, so am considering pole beans this Year.

My question is how high do the grow? How many plants for each 1x1 square? Can I plant them next to my tomatoes?study
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 2/12/2012, 9:10 am

My most favorite plant breeding book is by Carol Deppe Breed your own vegetable varieties It;s a great read for any gardener. This book and seed to seed are my bedside table reading.

Thank you for that!!! I will hunt up those books to keep on the shelf here next to me Smile It is a goal of mine to save seeds, etc. I (well with the help of some wonderful helpers) have just opened up the garden to 3 times the size, in the process of making existing beds ready, and planning the new bed placement. Glad you to have you share this info. It is nice to know things about our zone from a seasoned grower Smile. Im going to grow some more bush beans this year.. and pole I think, we will see. I really like the ease of something coming all season. I have no place to really "can" yet, hopefully this fall Smile

:-D Loves the hoop house for our zone, I can do anything almost!!
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Back to top Go down

Post  TejasTerry 2/13/2012, 8:39 am

floyd1440 wrote:I tried bush beans last year and got a lot in a short period of time, so am considering pole beans this Year.

My question is how high do the grow? How many plants for each 1x1 square? Can I plant them next to my tomatoes?study

According to my companion planting chart, they will grow well next to tomatoes.

http://www.howtogardenadvice.com/garden_info/companion_planting_chart.html
TejasTerry
TejasTerry

Female Posts : 160

Back to top Go down

Post  HillbillyBob 2/13/2012, 8:58 am

ashort wrote:I just used a blue lake bush style. I planted 4 squares at a time in two batches. Each set produced well for 2-3 weeks and then tapered off drastically, not sure if was the heat or if they just were done. I am going to use the same variety this year and will plant earlier. One thing I learned from beans - if they stop producing, just pull them up and replant with something else...

I'll second the Blue lake bush style is a easy and pretty quick growning bean in the Texas heat just plant before it gets too hot then plant again a couple weeks later Very Happy
HillbillyBob
HillbillyBob

Male Posts : 162

Back to top Go down

Post  epell 2/13/2012, 10:49 am

so it seems everyone has their own favorite except for the blue lake. I dont care for the stringiness I get from blue lakes. I like that I can pick jades 9 inches long and they are still sweet, tender, and no strings. Do you find stings on your blue lakes? Jades are also a heavy producer for me and they will produce longer than most bush beans I have tried. Not like Hurricanes but I can't seem to find those seeds anymore. Sure wish I had saved them when I had them.

What do you like best about the green beans you grow?
epell
epell

Back to top Go down

Post  epell 2/13/2012, 10:51 am

floyd1440 wrote:I tried bush beans last year and got a lot in a short period of time, so am considering pole beans this Year.

How high they grow depends entirely on the type of bean you choose. anywhere from 4-12 ft
epell
epell

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 2/13/2012, 8:11 pm

Terry

Thanks for the info and the link!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FloydGreen Beans 3170584802
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  HillbillyBob 2/14/2012, 11:58 am

epell wrote:

What do you like best about the green beans you grow?

eating them Very Happy Green Beans 3170584802 strings weren't bad on the blue lakes I like the smaller pods for snapping,never cut beans Shocked always snap them ????????????? that was my grandmothers rules so I still follow it. cyclops
HillbillyBob
HillbillyBob

Male Posts : 162

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 2/17/2012, 1:46 am

[/quote]
never cut beans Shocked always snap them ????????????? that was my grandmothers rules so I still follow it. cyclops[/quote]Thanks for the tip Grandma's are mighty smart so it must be for a good reason.Twisted Evil
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Squat_Johnson 2/17/2012, 1:21 pm

I continue to grow earlier and later in my SFG.

I grew bush beans twice last year. Planted April 15 and Aug 15th.

My early crop was COVERED with bean leaf beetles. They really ate them up... Couldn't find an organic spray that would slow them down.

Second crop was beautiful. Lots of perfect pods with no holes. By the time they bloomed, I guess they were already done for the year.
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down