Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Let it snow..let it snow..let it snow Toplef10Let it snow..let it snow..let it snow 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Let it snow..let it snow..let it snow I22gcj10Let it snow..let it snow..let it snow 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Let it snow..let it snow..let it snow Toplef10Let it snow..let it snow..let it snow 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Let it snow..let it snow..let it snow I22gcj10Let it snow..let it snow..let it snow 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Let it snow..let it snow..let it snow

+7
janezee
LittleGardener
ModernDayBetty
gwennifer
Lavender Debs
boffer
EatYourVeggies
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Let it snow..let it snow..let it snow Empty Let it snow..let it snow..let it snow

Post  EatYourVeggies 1/17/2012, 12:01 pm

Rolled out of the sack at 8am, pulled back the blinds to let in the day and Mother Nature has decided to dump our first blanket of snow for the year upon us. Within ten minutes it went from looking like it would only be here for a second, to huge sticking flakes and less than 100 yard visibility.

Its now 9am and no sign of it letting up. Less than twenty four hours prior, I was transferring germinated seeds to their transitional pots before the garden....so much for timing, and guess I'm going to have an indoor garden for a couple of months. Very Happy
EatYourVeggies
EatYourVeggies

Male Posts : 155

Back to top Go down

Let it snow..let it snow..let it snow Empty Re: Let it snow..let it snow..let it snow

Post  boffer 1/17/2012, 12:16 pm

I moved your post to the PNW region, where it could be appreciated! Those easterners just laugh at us when we talk about the little bit of snow that can shut us down. Of course, 'black ice' sounds an alcoholic drink to them!

My wife is leaving for Portland today for the week. I hope she can get back home sometime this month! Razz
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Let it snow..let it snow..let it snow Empty Re: Let it snow..let it snow..let it snow

Post  Lavender Debs 1/17/2012, 12:23 pm

boffer wrote:...snip...'black ice' sounds an alcoholic drink ...snip...

Is it a drink? Maybe we should have a contest.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 1/17/2012, 12:43 pm

Hmmm... proof of microclimates? We were up and about earlier than you, no snow or frost on the ground - it was raining. The first flakes started flying just as my oldest was heading out to the bus stop at 8:35. We laughed because it's like it switched from rain to snow in the blink of an eye. I did know it was snowing out there somewhere, because I got my 5:30 wake up call from the Battle Ground School District announcing school closures in the northern part of the district.

Kinda wish I hadn't stayed up until 1:30... sawing logs (But I needed uninterrupted time on the ole 'puter, and that only happens after the kiddos are in bed.)
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  EatYourVeggies 1/17/2012, 1:03 pm

boffer wrote:I moved your post to the PNW region, where it could be appreciated! Razz

Thanks boffer...I looked around initially for the place it would go, but always forget about the Regional section, still being a newbie to the SFG Forum. Smile
EatYourVeggies
EatYourVeggies

Back to top Go down

Post  ModernDayBetty 1/17/2012, 1:11 pm

boffer wrote:

My wife is leaving for Portland today for the week. I hope she can get back home sometime this month! Razz

No worries, the train runs straight through ;o)

They say it's heading toward us... but it's sunny and super windy, leading me to believe it's going to blow right past as per usual. Let the snow pass us by, let the snow pass us by.... doesn't have the same ring, but I do like the sound of it ;o)
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Female Posts : 298

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 1/17/2012, 1:18 pm

EatYourVeggies wrote:
boffer wrote:I moved your post to the PNW region, where it could be appreciated! Razz
Thanks boffer...I looked around initially for the place it would go, but always forget about the Regional section, still being a newbie to the SFG Forum. Smile

Old timer's trick:

Set your bookmark to open on your regional forum instead of the index page so you can be sure to catch all the local activity first. Then move on to the rest of the forum.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Let it snow..let it snow..let it snow Empty talk about Micro-climates, lol

Post  LittleGardener 1/17/2012, 5:20 pm

EatYourVeggies wrote:Rolled out of the sack at 8am, pulled back the blinds to let in the day and Mother Nature has decided to dump our first blanket of snow for the year upon us.
Less than twenty four hours prior, I was transferring germinated seeds to their transitional pots before the garden....so much for timing, and guess I'm going to have an indoor garden for a couple of months. Very Happy
it's Tuesday & you're just now getting snow? Wink near JBLM, it started early Sunday & yesterday we had over 4 inches, with more coming now, forecasted to be a foot before rain washes it away.
How funny!
as in Germany we would go to bed with several feet Laughing on the ground, & awaken with the Frontdoor & lower windows snowed in the next morning. And it was all taken in stride. Us kids just kept on trukkin' to Kindergarten and school on our skiis... cheers
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Female Posts : 370

Back to top Go down

Post  janezee 1/17/2012, 6:55 pm

LG,

It snowed a little on Sunday, but didn't do much, and only on the south tip of the island. Never saw a flurry until late Monday, then we got a dusting, then nothing until 7:30 this morning. It stopped a couple of hours ago, and the sun has been out for an hour. We'll have a gorgeous sunset today.

I am prepared to stay home for the next few days. Provided the power stays on. cheers
janezee
janezee

Female Posts : 240

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 1/17/2012, 7:51 pm

janezee wrote:LG,
It snowed a little on Sunday...then nothing until 7:30 this morning. It stopped a couple of hours ago, and the sun has been out for an hour. We'll have a gorgeous sunset today.

I am prepared to stay home for the next few days. Provided the power stays on. cheers
Hi Jane, so true! - the few inches are easily melted, by a bit of sun. Yet eentsy, weentsy, teeny, tiny plantlings also need protection, just like we need the power to stay on! Smile (our house is Brr...cold!! at night, do you keep your faucet dribbling too?) - and
really, our mountains do need more snowfall, for us in the summertime. Surely we can weather another foot for a day in the process. Agreed, we have gorgeous sunRises, & sunSets. How much God loves I love you us,
to Bless us so abundantly...

LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 1/17/2012, 8:11 pm

Howdy Folks:

Please don't let it snow! Snow is what we see on TV when the reception is poor.

God Bless, Ward and Mary
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 1/18/2012, 8:06 pm

Awoke to 8-10 inches, & it kept right on falling, temp still in 20's too.

(For perspective: sure glad we don't live in the iced-in Alaskan town of Nome and the northwest Inupiat Eskimo villages of Noatak & Kobuk, which face fuel shortages for heating, in minus 60 affraid temps.)

How fortunate we are, eh? Wink

Last edited by LittleGardener on 1/18/2012, 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 1/18/2012, 8:16 pm

That's a hefty load of snow eh! Smile Ours thankfully fizzled out to only a couple of inches. Let it snow..let it snow..let it snow 3170584802

Let it snow..let it snow..let it snow Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 1/18/2012, 11:39 pm

It has changed from snow to freezing rain. This is a link to Everett Washington Snow.

Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 1/19/2012, 12:37 am

Lavender Debs wrote:It has changed from snow to freezing rain. This is a link to Everett Washington Snow.
Nice video Smile
any sites on learning how to make videos like this?
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  EatYourVeggies 1/19/2012, 12:58 am

Yesterday when I started this thread, the snow was welcome, and it was kind of fun seeing our first dusting for 2012. Just as fast as it had arrived, the snow had all cleared, but it began again late last night, leaving about two inches and a cleansing affect on the soul.

Waking up and looking out my kitchen window this morning, I found the temporary shelter, consisting of a steel pipe frame and canvas cover, was not able to bear the weight, having caved in on my boat and lawn tools...Is it spring yet?
EatYourVeggies
EatYourVeggies

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 1/19/2012, 1:18 am

EatYourVeggies wrote:Yesterday when I started this thread, the snow was welcome, and it was kind of fun seeing our first dusting for 2012....

Is it spring yet?
heard it said: "Patience, Grasshopper" Razz

Winter, with the shortest day was but a month ago, so Spring is like 2-3 months away, at the earliest around here. You already know that tho.
In the meantime, how about build a Greenhouse,
for both keeping critters away, & planting earlier safely Wink
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  EatYourVeggies 1/19/2012, 3:12 am

[quote="LittleGardener"]
EatYourVeggies wrote:Yesterday when I started this thread, the snow was welcome, and it was kind of fun seeing our first dusting for 2012....

Is it spring yet?
heard it said: "Patience, Grasshopper" Razz

....then the Master said, "When you can snatch the Brussels Sprouts seed from my hand, you may germinate" Razz

While I truly like the idea of a greenhouse, I'm not wanting to ever think about moving one or having to disassemble it to move again, due to being in a rental. Presently, my home is my green house. I have my herbs started and germinated, under lights, with another thirty plus vegetable varieties yet to be started. Needless to say, being a single guy in a three bedroom house with a two car garage, I have more lights, room, and seeds than patience. Very Happy
EatYourVeggies
EatYourVeggies

Back to top Go down

Let it snow..let it snow..let it snow Empty garden IN the house?

Post  LittleGardener 1/19/2012, 5:01 am

EatYourVeggies wrote:being a single guy in a three bedroom rental house with a two car garage, I have more lights, room, and seeds, than patience. Very Happy
While I truly like the idea of a greenhouse, I'm not wanting to ever think about disassemble it to move again. Presently, my home is my green house. I have my herbs started and germinated, under lights, with another thirty plus vegetable varieties yet to be started.
Please forgive this temporary derail of your Snow-topic. But re this "my home is my green house.": You know some people live in Greenhouses, where they could SFG too. So consider: so long as windows are open, why not garden in the house. Please don't laugh at me, lol. I've always explored & lived life from novel ideas Laughing
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  ModernDayBetty 1/19/2012, 12:28 pm

We've officially turned into an ice skating rink in central Washington... Why couldn't you West siders keep your snow and rain?!? Where's a good rain shadow when you need one? ;o)
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Female Posts : 298

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 1/19/2012, 1:20 pm

No snow, just the eternal rain, still raining and still very high winds. All of the roads to the coast from the valley are closed due to flooding or mudslides, couldn't really go anywhere if you wanted to.

Let it snow..let it snow..let it snow 3868 Let it snow..let it snow..let it snow 3040868389
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  janezee 1/19/2012, 5:46 pm

Well, I've cleared 3-4" of snow off the cars 3 times now. Can't go anywhere, since I haven't a shovel or plow, but a very long driveway. I can walk to the beach and join all the dog walkers there. That's about all who's out now. Even the loose dogs are in hiding. I'm on my way over to the neighbor's to give their bunnies some warm water. They're (the neighbors) in Wisconsin for the week!!!! They'll miss the whole of winter on the island.
And the snow had better be gone when I have to go to the airport on Monday to get them!

I'm also going out to knock the snow off my cloches. Ah, winter......
j
janezee
janezee

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 1/19/2012, 6:13 pm

janezee wrote:Well, I've cleared 3-4" of snow off the cars 3 times now.
I'm on my way over to the neighbor's to give their bunnies some warm water. They're (the neighbors) in Wisconsin for the week!!!! They'll miss the whole of winter on the island.
And the snow had better be gone when I have to go to the airport on Monday to get them!
4 inches? - Across the water, we had a foot accumulated yesterday; still it's nothing. - Then ice-storm hit, & at 0600 today the entire neighborhood was a mirror, really. And because our night-temps have stayed below freezing since 1/6/12 incldg. 21 degrees, with only a couple day-hours to melt anything (currently it's 37 for a high), that ice-mirror is sticking around. But hope springs eternal, & supposedly the next 40 hours it's gonna be at least 40, so Jane I pray you get your wish Smile
Alas,
the one-week forecast says more snow arrives next Saturday??. Due to car-issues, & health-issues, we haven't been to the store since 1/6/12 either, but fortunately we have nourishment stored. Consider it training for the future. :scratch:
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/19/2012, 9:09 pm

It is extremely cold here -22 last night with a strong wind, I believe that is -8 farenheit.
Just moved here a year ago and everyone is telling me "it never gets this cold here", I am banking on that.
Good thing about snow, is that it seems to have to get warmer for it to snow, and it is snowing here tomorrow
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  janezee 1/20/2012, 3:35 am

LG,

3-4" x 3.

It's beautiful. It does seem that the 6" we had yesterday melted down a little before we got hit again today. Then it went down to 24F. So it's icy under dry snow. Slicker than snot, as they say in New York. I was playing fetch with the dog in the road today, because there were no cars, and he kept losing the ball in the lawn. You've never seen anything funnier than a dog sliding past the ball and trying to catch it at the same time. Just like in the cartoons.
It landed in a drift on the side of the road at last, and he couldn't find it. I finally got to come in and have a toddy. All's well with the world.
janezee
janezee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next