Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Growing and using quinoa as a meatless protein Toplef10Growing and using quinoa as a meatless protein 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Growing and using quinoa as a meatless protein I22gcj10Growing and using quinoa as a meatless protein 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Growing and using quinoa as a meatless protein Toplef10Growing and using quinoa as a meatless protein 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Growing and using quinoa as a meatless protein I22gcj10Growing and using quinoa as a meatless protein 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Growing and using quinoa as a meatless protein

+4
llama momma
camprn
LittleGardener
mijejo
8 posters

Go down

Growing and using quinoa as a meatless protein Empty Growing and using quinoa as a meatless protein

Post  mijejo 1/16/2012, 12:39 am

As a vegetarian, I would love to learn more about quinoa. How does one prepare it? Can it easily be grown and harvested in SFGs? Please share what you know about this grain (or is it a grain?).
mijejo
mijejo

Back to top Go down

Growing and using quinoa as a meatless protein Empty Re: Growing and using quinoa as a meatless protein

Post  LittleGardener 1/16/2012, 3:40 am

mijejo wrote:As a vegetarian, I would love to learn more about quinoa. Can it easily be grown and harvested in SFGs?
Quinoa contains a balanced set of EAA's for humans, making it a complete protein source (12–18%), unusual among plant foods. It is high in fiber, iron & magnesium. Quinoa is gluten-free and considered easy to digest.
However,
most of the cultivars are grown between 2,500 m & 4,000 m (13,120 ft) in Bolivia in the Andes near the equator. The seedbed must be well prepared and drained to avoid waterlogging. Quinoa seeds are broadcast over land and raked into the soil. Sometimes it is sown in narrow, shallow soils.
Quinoa in its natural state has a coating of bitter-tasting saponins (Respiratory & eye-irritant) making it unpalatable. Most quinoa sold
commercially in North America has been processed to remove this coating.
Learn other details here: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Quinoa
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Female Posts : 370

Back to top Go down

Growing and using quinoa as a meatless protein Empty Re: Growing and using quinoa as a meatless protein

Post  camprn 1/16/2012, 6:50 am

Quinoa Nutritional Data <~~~Click

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Growing and using quinoa as a meatless protein WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/16/2012, 6:57 am

As we were saying in the other thread this is commonly called grain. On the box mine even says, "the Supergrain of the Future". It also says more high quality protein than any other grain. Wikipedia's description, if accurate, says it's not a true grain because it is not a true grass. I'm a fan of quinoa because I can be full and satisfied without that sleepyness from a meat meal and I can survive between meals without cheating..it is part of my current diet. But I can't give up meat altogether.

Quinoa is mild tasting, used many ways.
For breakfast, I've put a cooked egg over a bed of quinoa, side of fruit, side of greek yogurt, and I'm not hungry till lunchtime. Ended hunger-headaches for me. Could add anything you want like mushrooms and tomatoes too.

For lunch I've cook it in homemade or store bought low sodium broth for a simple satisfying soup and toss anything else in it too.

For suppertime stuffed peppers, use your other ingred but substitute quinoa for rice. Quinoa pilaf is another one. There is plenty more on the web I bet.

You should find it in the supermarket organic section or else ask them to start carrying it.

llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/16/2012, 7:04 am

I like to toast the quinoa before adding the water, to my palate it makes for a nuttier flavor. Very Happy

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Growing and using quinoa as a meatless protein WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/16/2012, 7:10 am

That's sounds really good. Have to try that.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/16/2012, 7:26 pm

I cook with quinoa pretty much every day.
I sometimes use it with rice and other times use it as an alternative.
I also have been using quinoa flour for making pizza, it is incredible. I do not use it as the only flour, I mix it half and half with something else.
I bought a great book a free years ago, called "Home grown Whole grains, by Sara Pitzer. Goes into how to grow each of the grains as well as how to process them and to cook them
I am hoping next year when my quinoa crop is ready to harvest, to purchase a grain mill so I can make my own flour.

GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 1/17/2012, 2:47 am

Plant breeders are breeding some that grow well at lower elevations but I have never grown any.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 1/17/2012, 3:10 am

The only problem with grains, or grain-like crops, is that you need a whole heck of a lot to make it worthwhile. That said, sometimes it is fun to grow and just see what it is like. I have a dream of growing enough beans (dried) for a year's use. But it takes a lot of plants to do it. But hey, fun is fun.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 1/17/2012, 9:15 pm

Chopper wrote:The only problem with grains, or grain-like crops, is that you need a whole heck of a lot to make it worthwhile. That said, sometimes it is fun to grow and just see what it is like. I have a dream of growing enough beans (dried) for a year's use. But it takes a lot of plants to do it. But hey, fun is fun.

A friend of mine tried the dried bean thing a few years ago. She harvested about 2 lbs. - just enough for one really big pot of chili. Our congregation had a chili cook-off, and she won with her pot made with her homegrown beans!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/17/2012, 9:27 pm

but black beans are so incredibly easy to grow, they almost take care of them selves and then you just neglect them long enough in the fall for them to dry accordingly and then presto you have a great protein that you did not have to hack off the head of anything to get.

I got a few lbs from an extremely small plot, perhaps 4 feet by 5 feet.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down