Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What is a "Hard Frost?" Toplef10What is a "Hard Frost?" 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What is a "Hard Frost?" I22gcj10What is a "Hard Frost?" 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What is a "Hard Frost?" Toplef10What is a "Hard Frost?" 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What is a "Hard Frost?" I22gcj10What is a "Hard Frost?" 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What is a "Hard Frost?"

+3
littlejo
BackyardBirdGardner
mijejo
7 posters

Go down

What is a "Hard Frost?" Empty What is a "Hard Frost?"

Post  mijejo 11/17/2011, 7:51 am

I understand that some plants can survive a light frost. Since we have had several, I still have brussels sprouts, cabbage, Swiss chard, oregano, rosemary, lavender, and a few other plants doing well.

A few days ago, I harvested one of the brussels sprouts and it was much sweeter than one I harvested in mid-summer. I suppose it is true about some veggies becoming sweeter after a frost.

Anyway, we are expecting temperatures in the low 20's this evening. Is that a hard frost? If so, should I harvest all that is remaining?
mijejo
mijejo

Back to top Go down

What is a "Hard Frost?" Empty Re: What is a "Hard Frost?"

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 11/17/2011, 9:16 am

Hard frost I don't know. I assume it's the same as "hard freeze."

Hard freeze is temps at or under 28°F for more than 4 hours, I believe. It's the real "killing" frost.

But, technically, there is no uniform definition. Some simply say, "upper 20s for a few hours." Others, like Mobile, AL say, "26 degrees for at least 5 hours."

I say, "whatever freaks me out and makes me put the covers on the garden." Cool
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 11/17/2011, 9:48 am

A frost is where it gets low for several hours, but, it is expected to get warm the next day. A hard freeze is where temps drop low, and it won't warm up the next day. Of course that is in the south. A hard frost will finish off summer veggies,ex tomatoes.

The cabbage should not be bothered with a hard frost. If it's a hard frost expected, I'd just throw a sheet over the other veggies.
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  mijejo 11/17/2011, 9:51 am

Thanks! I suppose I can find a few old sheets to do the job! I hope I can keep the brussels in the garden until Thanksgiving.

BBG, where in Ohio are you? I am north of Cincinnati (West Chester).
mijejo
mijejo

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 11/17/2011, 9:43 pm

Click Here for a previous thread and information about the differences between a frost and a freeze. What a Face Last year I had BS for Thanksgiving and Christmas. they freeze really well on the stalk right there in the garden. Wink

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

What is a "Hard Frost?" WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 11/17/2011, 9:48 pm

Bummer. The link in the other thread is dead. :scratch:
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 11/17/2011, 9:51 pm

Oh crap. What is a "Hard Frost?" 926169 OK I will see if I can find it again... Thanks Boff!

Ok so the original link was retired by the university. Here is another explaining the differences between frost and freeze.
Info about the difference of frost and freeze.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

What is a "Hard Frost?" WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  AZDYJ2K 11/18/2011, 2:24 am

This is a bit off topic but I did a Google search on "vegetables sweeter after frost". This will affect the cabbage family and some root veggies (such as carrots). It says that the plant will try to preserve itself by turning starch into sugars so the cell walls don't rupture.

I live in Phoenix metro and we don't get many nights with frost (fortunately and unfortunately). However, I will try growing some of these veggies during our cold months to see if I can get some sweetness.
AZDYJ2K
AZDYJ2K

Male Posts : 169

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 11/18/2011, 9:54 am

mijejo wrote:BBG, where in Ohio are you? I am north of Cincinnati (West Chester).

I'm actually in St. Louis and despise the Reds. Hee hee. I have a great friend in Cincy and have visited him a couple of times. Neat town. You guys are close. My friends live in Mason.

Oh, and to all you Cincy folks, the Cardinals also stole your stadium's chef last year. We recruited him to cook for the Cardinals. I was at a game this year, the usher told me the special was "Skyline chili dogs." We asked how that was possible, and that's how we found out about the chef. Anyway, you have some phenomenal chili over there. That chili dog was the best I'd ever tasted...bar none. Next time I'm over that way, Skyline is where I'll be found.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  mijejo 11/18/2011, 10:50 am

BBG, yes I am very close to Mason, OH. I am just a few blocks from its border and consequently spend a great deal of time there. It used to be beautiful farm land, as was West Chester. Urban sprawl has turned them both into upper-middle-class subdivisions and high-end retail. Considering I have lived here all of my life (except college years) and miss the rolling meadows and fields, I cannot see how they can call it "progress." My property was farm land until 10 years ago, and it butts up to the 3 acres surrounding the original farmhouse (still zoned for agriculture use). However, my zoning prevents me from all sorts of things. One or two laying hens? No way! I was concerned my Three Sisters cornstalks would cause a fuss, so I grew a dwarf corn variety. I have my nest egg earmarked to abandon these altered roots and move to agriland where I can try to live more sustainable and healthier. Three more years and Green Acres here I come!

Okay, Skyline has the reputation for being the best Cincinnati chili, but the native Cincinnatian knows it is because of its mass marketing and franchise expansion. Although it is tasty, some of the best chili can be found in the local dives. Blue Ash Chili, Price Hill Chili, Chili Time (near UC) and a few others. Gold Star, another chain, is good as well. However, my children, extended family and close friends know that the absolute best chili comes from my crockpot. Can you tell I am modest? It can be spread on a hotdog bun w/wo hotdog (veggie), or my favorite is over a plateful of spaghetti and covered with shredded cheddar - otherwise known as a 3-way. It is best, of the best comfort food!
mijejo
mijejo

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 11/18/2011, 4:04 pm

You know, I've never tried 3-way, but have heard about it lots. I can't believe I've never tried to make it. I think this weekend has a goal now.

Same here. Steak'n'Shake gets the pub around here. But, EatRite and O.T. Hodges are better. Two bowls and call your doctor because you can literally feel your arteries starting to close up. However, it sure tastes goot!
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

What is a "Hard Frost?" Empty Waht is in YOUR Chili

Post  CaptainKidney 11/21/2011, 9:26 am

Ok, Mijejo, if you are going to brag about your chili, you either need to share the recipe or invite everybody on the forum over for a taste test.
CaptainKidney
CaptainKidney

Male Posts : 45

Back to top Go down

Post  mijejo 11/21/2011, 10:58 am

CaptainKidney,

Your post made me chuckle. I wish I had a nickel for every time I have been asked for "the recipe." If I ever wrote it out, it would start with, "raid/clean-out, pantry and fridge. Collect any items that can be thrown into the crock-pot." In particular I look for beans (canned or dried) canned tomatoes, sauce, and paste. Leftover hot chocolate packets (if discovered) are added. Now do not judge me ‘cause a little chocolate is crucial to official Cincy chili. Onions, possibly a can of corn – but a few people do not like the yellow color in their chili. If there is a nearly empty jar of salsa and/or tomato-based pasta sauce, it is used as well. Dump all of it in a lined extra-large crock-pot. Then based on taste-testing add chili powder, cinnamon (same disclaimer as above), cocoa-powder, vinegar, sugar, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Set the crock-pot on low and forget about it until the smell makes you hungry (about 5 hours). If I have garden items, I may add fresh tomatoes, onions, and peppers the last hour. I always use a least one large can of chunky tomatoes.

We usually have a dinner meal from it on the first day, but everyone agrees it tastes even better the next day! I think letting all of the flavors mingle while cooking and during the next day in the fridge enhances the taste. My goal is to have a hearty tomato-based taste that is slightly acidic and tangy, an undertone of sweetness, a mixture of seasonings to tease the tongue, and enough spicy-heat to add excitement. It tastes so good that when your plate is clean, you want just a little bit more.

I started this recipe as a college student. My boyfriend loved his family’s recipe and I tried to copy it based on what he thought was in it. At that time, I used ground beef, no beans, and no chunky tomatoes. Over time, I decreased the beef and added other stuff. Eventually, it became meatless and no one noticed! That was helpful for my student budget. Today, it serves my humanitarian beliefs.

As mentioned before, this is great served in a bowl, or as a chili-dog (veggie hot dog). However, most of my people like it over spaghetti and smothered with finely grated cheddar. Oyster crackers on the side are appreciated. One family member likes to add Tobasco sauce, but the rest of us believe it to be hot enough on its own.

Geesh! Now I am hungry for the stuff! It will have to wait until after Thanksgiving. I have too much in fridge right now!
mijejo
mijejo

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 11/21/2011, 3:03 pm

I think it's pretty dang funny this thread went from freeze to frost to chilly, er I mean chili... Wink

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

What is a "Hard Frost?" Empty Chocolate in Chili

Post  CaptainKidney 11/22/2011, 8:32 am

I have a wife, 3 daughters and 4 granddaughters (final score...girls 7 and boys 0). I understand the chocolate addiction very well. If they could put chocolate in everything, I really think they would. Thank you for revealing the recipe. The only 2 things I cook are chili and scrambled eggs (oh, and anything you can burn over the grill). Other than that, my wife does the cooking and I do the dishes. That arrangement works out well for everyone. They don't get indigestion and the dishes get cleaned. I grew up in West Virginia and the had a little drive in that made the world's best chili dogs. Unfortunately, when the owner passed, they took the secret with them I have been on a search for a great chili dog recipe ever since......alas, the search goes on.

Mike
CaptainKidney
CaptainKidney

Male Posts : 45

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 11/22/2011, 10:39 am

Another good "trick" is to add a can of soda with a package of hot chocolate powder.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/21/2013, 10:25 am

BUMP...

...because of the cold weather some of us are experiencing this spring, I thought I would revive this thread.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 4/21/2013, 8:36 pm

Friday it was 85 deg, and has been going down ever since. High on Sat. was 52, low last night was 39deg., d___, but it made the menu Chili. I was expecting that we wouldn't have chile again til the first fall frost. I hope it does not go any lower tonight, for the garden is planted. Corn is a foot tall! Okra about 8 in!
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down