Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
"Food Inc." Toplef10"Food Inc." 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

"Food Inc." I22gcj10"Food Inc." 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
"Food Inc." Toplef10"Food Inc." 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

"Food Inc." I22gcj10"Food Inc." 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Today at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Today at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

"Food Inc."

+9
kurango
AprilakaCCIL
ModernDayBetty
AZDYJ2K
FarmerValerie
mijejo
Mamachibi
middlemamma
shannon1
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

"Food Inc." Empty "Food Inc."

Post  shannon1 8/30/2011, 1:57 am

I saw this excellent doc. when it came out and plan on watching it again wed. with my DM. It got me to wondering, were any of you insipred to grow your own food after seeing it? I had been a gardener long before I saw it but I sure felt better about raising my own non-GMO, organic vegetables after I watched it.

If you watched it please share what you thought.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

"Food Inc." Empty Re: "Food Inc."

Post  middlemamma 8/30/2011, 2:13 am

I have been meaning to watch that...
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 8/30/2011, 2:29 am

You'll love it.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Mamachibi 8/30/2011, 9:38 am

I had already started my real food journey already when I saw Food, Inc. It inspired me to completely rethink my relationship with food.

I had been a coupon princess, often saving $50 a week by purchasing national brands with coupons. Wal-Mart was my first and often only stop for food because it was inexpensive.

We have changed our entire family financial structure so that the necessities of life now have a higher priority than the luxuries. I shop first at the farmer's market, buying from people I know and trust. I inspect their farms and ranches, I know how my food is produced. We eat seasonally and organically, garden, can and dry food for winter and support our local businesses and farmers.

We really went "all in", but there is GREAT value in making small changes and I wouldn't ever give someone a hard time about not doing more. Every step one can take is good.

Not that there haven't been problems. Our kids have also seen the movie and the first time Grandma put Tyson chicken in front of them, they really balked. Good discussion after that meal.

I have to say, though, that the biggest advantage for our family has been our health. I have gone from walking like a 90-year old, stooped, with a cane and in constant pain to walking like a 40-year old with spring in my step and energy for the day. Most of our allergies are gone, my hubby's blood pressure has normalized and we're all several sizes smaller.
Mamachibi
Mamachibi

Back to top Go down

Post  mijejo 8/30/2011, 10:38 am

Yes, "Food, Inc" is an eye-opener.

For those that care about where our food comes from and what is done to it before we get it, I suggest watching "Earthlings." The words below are my own commentary and what I sent to a few close friends. They were shocked and most of them have drastically altered their eating style because of it.

Here it is:

I am pretty hyped up about this. It is something I have always known to be true. I have worked at the zoo, in pet shops, at vet offices, been affiliated with organizations rescuing circus animals, and have toured swine and chicken factory-farms. These things are true, and I have seen much of it first-hand. I have been afraid to raise my voice, because the masses would label me crazy, or an extremist. This film, so poignantly expresses what I have silenced in myself.

I dare you to watch it. I guarantee you, that it will move - if not change - your views.

Google has it online: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6361872964130308142#

Another one, is "Supersize Me!" Do a Google search for this one.
mijejo
mijejo

Back to top Go down

Post  Mamachibi 8/30/2011, 11:41 am

Oh - and "Fathead" which is free on youtube.
Mamachibi
Mamachibi

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 8/31/2011, 9:40 am

King Corn is another exelent one, I'll try to find the other two that Netflix has and post them here.

There is another one coming out called Farmageddon, this may be one you have to buy on DVD though, when I hear more on this one, I'll let you know.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AZDYJ2K 8/31/2011, 2:44 pm

I've seen the following food related movies:

Supersize Me

Fast Food Nation (not so much a documentary but still centers around food processing)

Food Inc.

King Corn

Each one has had an impact on the way I look at food. Yes, I would say that they have all pushed me towards gardening and to make different food choices.

As a family, we still eat fast food occasionally and we still look for sales on perishable grocery items. However, I think these movies have certainly altered our buying habits. I've found that it is difficult to find the right foods. It's not easy to find a true free range chicken or organic grass fed beef. Also, the organic produce available in the stores near me are very unappealing (rotted and/or bruised and not kept very nicely). They're out there but some people don't have easy access to them or they are cost prohibitive. Unfortunately, our society has become one that expects everything to be cheap and readily available and that is what the stores are catering to.
AZDYJ2K
AZDYJ2K

Male Posts : 169

Back to top Go down

Post  mijejo 8/31/2011, 3:32 pm

Since we are discussing what goes into the food we are eating, and why we appreciate our home grown vegetables, I will say it again, "This documentary is worth watching. 'The Earthlings.'"Watch if for free at www.video.google.com

I believe it be more enlightening than any of the others that have been mentioned.
mijejo
mijejo

Back to top Go down

"Food Inc." Empty Power to the People

Post  shannon1 9/2/2011, 1:03 am

I will watch the recommened films thanks. I have been anti-factory farming and GMO seed for a very long time. My mother and I have switched to a nutritionaly dense plant based diet ala Dr.Fuhrman's "Eat to Live". It's only been a week so far but my health has improved so much the Docs had to take me off 2 diabetes meds already since my blood sugars had dropped to such low levels. Just one more to go.

What struck me about Food Inc. was the way the farmers are being exploited by big Ag. They didn't even touch on migrant workers, and barely talked about the lopsided way farmers are subsidized by the gov. Did you know crops that are grown just for humans like squash and eggplant are not subsidized at all. Only the crops that end up as feed get money corn, wheat, soybeans ect.

I would never tell anyone how to eat, IMO that is a fundimental freedom. I do think they should also have the right to know what they are eating. Labling GMO containing foods should be the law. I don't think the FDA and EPA have our best interests at heart.

My goal for next year is to provide at least 80% of my food myself. Since all I am eating is vegetables, fruits, seeds,and nuts that is going to be a tall order. With SFG I think I will be able to do it.Very Happy
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 9/3/2011, 7:10 am

mijejo wrote:
For those that care about where our food comes from and what is done to it before we get it, I suggest watching "Earthlings."
Wow I watched Earthlings on youtube and it was a tear jerker to be sure. I was a vet tech for 10 years and see the value of pet ownership. In all my life I never bred one of my pets. Some I got from the pound, some from rescues, two directly from breeders not puppy mills I knew them and had been to thier kennels, and one from the street. Now that I don't have the funds or time to take care of a dog I don't have one. So I know pet owners can be part of the soulition and not contribute to the proble. Every thing else X10. I wish eveyone I knew would watch this. Thanks for sharing it with us miejo
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  ModernDayBetty 9/3/2011, 9:22 am

I recommend Ingredients, it's an amazing documentary. It was available instantly on netflix, don't know if it still is. If you don't have netflix here's the trailer, http://www.ingredientsfilm.com/
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Female Posts : 298

Back to top Go down

Post  AZDYJ2K 9/3/2011, 2:34 pm

mijejo wrote:Since we are discussing what goes into the food we are eating, and why we appreciate our home grown vegetables, I will say it again, "This documentary is worth watching. 'The Earthlings.'"Watch if for free at www.video.google.com

I believe it be more enlightening than any of the others that have been mentioned.

I watched this last night. It is a powerful documentary that shows the brutal aspects of how humans treat animals not only for food production but for many other purposes.

I would warn all of those planning to watch it that it is very graphic and is not for the faint of heart. It will definitely make you think the next time you bite into a steak or eat chicken.
AZDYJ2K
AZDYJ2K

Back to top Go down

Post  AZDYJ2K 9/6/2011, 2:33 am

There's a short documentary similar to Earthlings. It's called Farm to Fridge.

WARNING: This is also very graphic. It shows similar content to Earthlings but is much shorter (I think it's about 12 minutes long).
AZDYJ2K
AZDYJ2K

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 9/6/2011, 4:01 am

I posted a link to Earthlings on my facebook page and not one of my "friends" has watched it. I say knowledge is power, they seem to say ignorance is bliss.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  mijejo 9/6/2011, 9:07 am

Shannon, I have had the same problem.

In all fairness, it took me six months to psych up to watch "Earthlings," because I expected it would force me to consider a lifestyle change. It did not negate that theory!

The movie very much hits upon things that are true. Been there and seen a lot of it with my own eyes.

Just keep trying to enlighten others with this documentary. A few here and there will view it. Ask them to spread the word. If we humans consider ourselves "humane," we need to put a stop to this abuse. Like you eluded, knowledge is the most powerful tool.

I have plans to work on a project that will tell the message via art - film, theatre, etc. My son starred in a version of the play, "The Laramie Project - Ten years Later." The story line is about a hate crime in the city of Laramie. In particular, the brutal beating, torture and murder of a homesexual youngster. This true story, once it was made public has been extremely effective at bringing awareness to bullying and hate crimes.

He is now producing, directing and acting in a film-based play to bring awareness to Asperger's Syndrome (similiar to, or related to, autism) and the associated bullying and suicide with which it may result. Here is a trailor: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2088122246/us-premiere-of-nothing-by-nic-balthazar

Once he completes this project, he and I have plans to collaborate and do the same for the plight revealed in "Earthlings." I hope to feature my square foot garden and how I am living a healthier lifestyle without contibuting to the torture of my fellow Earth animals.

The garden has provided for nearly all of my nutritional needs this summer. I continue to learn more about growing foods and self-sustainment. The icing is that my meals are now more delicious than ever! I should have done this years ago! Thank you Mel, and thanks to all of you on this forum for teaching me a better way to eat. Maybe we can get Mel and some of you to star in it! That would be a hoot!
mijejo
mijejo

Back to top Go down

Post  AprilakaCCIL 9/6/2011, 10:26 am

Speechless...I could only watch half of this for now. What's wrong with this world??????? Evil or Very Mad
AprilakaCCIL
AprilakaCCIL

Female Posts : 219

Back to top Go down

Post  mijejo 9/6/2011, 10:56 am

"What is wrong with this world?" is that most of us do not know this stuff is going on!
Please help by spreading the word. If enough of us cry out, maybe something will be done!

And grow/eat more veggies!
mijejo
mijejo

Back to top Go down

Post  kurango 9/6/2011, 1:48 pm

Food Inc. Changed me, for sure! I immediately wanted to know if I was zoned for chickens. I never found out. I had always grown tomatoes, and flowers, plus I have two good sized berry patches, (raspberries,blackberries, and boysenberries) but it made me revisit the thought of a vegetable garden. Which I started last year after seeing Food Inc.

I now only buy my meat at "Sprouts" a Farmers Market chain. I asked the butch and they grind there own sausage, hamburger, etc.

The movie also made me hate Monstanto! I make sure I do not buy anything that is owned by or affiliated with Monstanto.

I now have King Corn, and Ingredients in my Netflix's queue, Food Matters was already there.

I found the following information about Farmageddon

Farmageddon is the story of a mom whose son healed from all allergies and
asthma after consuming raw milk, and real food from farms. It depicts
people all over the country who formed food co-ops and private clubs to
get these foods, and how they were raided by state and local
governments.

Movies website

Which lead me to another movie titled "American Meat"

American Meat is a feature-length documentary project exploring the
American meat industry through the eyes of one of its chief antagonists,
Joel Salatin. Salatin is the leader of an ever-growing community of
chefs, farmers and consumers who are opting for animals raised outside
and without the use of antibiotics. We hear from those in the
conventional meat system who argue that small-scale farming can't feed
America. As the dialogue ensues, Salatin signs a deal with fast-food
chain Chipotle in a surprising move with widespread implications for the
industry. The film is being positioned for U.S. and international
broadcast, and theatrical distribution.

Movies website
kurango

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 9/19/2011, 2:12 am

OK only watch this if you realy want to give up dairy. It is footage from an undercover Humane Socitey investigation of a veal slaughter house that is very graphic and horrifing. It makes the Earthlings look like a Disney movie. "Undercover Investigation :veal caves abused at Vermont Slaughter Plant" at www.youtube.com.

This is realy bad, so be warned. The veal and dairy industries are linked so closely there might as well be a slice of veal in every glass of milk you drink. The remarks to the undercover investigator made by the USDA inspecter have me wondering just how often they turn a blind eye to this kind of thing.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  ilvalleygal 9/20/2011, 10:23 am

Yes, I've seen Food Inc. but it wasn't until I had started my real food journey. It really confirmed a lot of what I was starting to do with reading labels at the grocery store. I'm fortunate to live in Illinois where raw milk sales are still legal so I alternate between guernsey milk (and cream for butter and ghee), and goat's milk. There's a small butcher shop near where I live so I buy most meat from them which is not organic, grass-fed, but at least they only accept animals from a tri-county area. I did order some farm-raised pork and lamb from one of my farmers and that will be available soon. Still not wholly organic, but closer to grass- and milk-fed.

I've added more fermented foods and beverages to my diet, cook with only real fat (lard, ghee, butter and now cold-pressed coconut oil too), farm fresh eggs and even found a farmer with a grain mill for some local wheat to supplement the organic wheat I buy from a local co-op.

Last year I bought a lot of things from the farmers market and started doing some food preservation. It inspired me to start SFG this year and supplement my market purchases with my own herbs and veggies.

I've dropped two pants sizes; rarely get sick; haven't had a Tylenol for months and months. I no longer want/crave sweets and my comfort food used to be a fresh can of chocolate frosting.

It really is a journey though. It was overwhelming last year when I first thought about changing my diet, but I just kept finding ways to substitute real food for the stuff that comes wrapped in plastic with labels that read more like a chemistry textbook than a grocery list.
ilvalleygal

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 9/20/2011, 2:03 pm

ilvalleygal wrote:It really is a journey though. It was overwhelming last year when I first thought about changing my diet, but I just kept finding ways to substitute real food for the stuff that comes wrapped in plastic with labels that read more like a chemistry textbook than a grocery list.

For me this really sums it up... "Food Inc." 107167
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  Mamachibi 9/20/2011, 5:45 pm

Same here, ilvalleygal. My goal is no barcodes.
Mamachibi
Mamachibi

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 9/23/2011, 12:50 am

Wow IVG that's wonderful. It is amazing just how much work it takes to eat a healthy diet. I have so much more time invested in getting the right foods, non-GMO, organic unprossesed, and vegan for me. Then the all the cooking, but I for one feel like a new woman. Friday was my 1 month anniversary.

Finaly got my hands on a copy of "king corn" and will be watching it tomorrow.

Still looking for "farmageddon".
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Mamachibi 9/23/2011, 2:57 pm

There's a second film..."Big River" which is sort of a sequel to King Corn. I would have enjoyed it much more if I'd watched it right after King Corn, or at least within a few days while it was still fresh in my mind.

I heartily recommend both!
Mamachibi
Mamachibi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next