Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Central Ohio's HappyFrog is checking in.  :) Toplef10Central Ohio's HappyFrog is checking in.  :) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Central Ohio's HappyFrog is checking in.  :) I22gcj10Central Ohio's HappyFrog is checking in.  :) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Central Ohio's HappyFrog is checking in.  :) Toplef10Central Ohio's HappyFrog is checking in.  :) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Central Ohio's HappyFrog is checking in.  :) I22gcj10Central Ohio's HappyFrog is checking in.  :) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Central Ohio's HappyFrog is checking in. :)

2 posters

Go down

Central Ohio's HappyFrog is checking in.  :) Empty Central Ohio's HappyFrog is checking in. :)

Post  happyfrog 3/4/2010, 7:07 am

Hi, everyone! Re-registered on the new forums. Getting excited about spring. In a couple hours, the kids and I will go shovel off the top 2 feet of snow on our boxes so that by Saturday, the majority of the snow will be melted so we can plant peas - temps should be in high 40's here thru next week.

Guess we're all starting over? Does anyone know if the pics, etc we had on old forums transferred over with us - or if there's a way to access that info?

Have a wonderful day, ya'll!

--
Blessings,

BettyAnn
http://frugalisgreen.blogspot.com/
http://davidwilliambethany.blogspot.com/
happyfrog

Female Posts : 625

Back to top Go down

Central Ohio's HappyFrog is checking in.  :) Empty Re: Central Ohio's HappyFrog is checking in. :)

Post  Lavender Debs 3/4/2010, 9:20 am

I have actually shoveled snow to plant peas on Lincoln's birthday! Glad to know another who is goofy enough to do such a thing.

Hey BettyAnn; It is a pleasure to read you!

Deborah ....who also loves to blog
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Central Ohio's HappyFrog is checking in.  :) Empty Re: Central Ohio's HappyFrog is checking in. :)

Post  happyfrog 3/4/2010, 9:26 am

Central Ohio's HappyFrog is checking in.  :) Icon_flower Central Ohio's HappyFrog is checking in.  :) Icon_flower Central Ohio's HappyFrog is checking in.  :) Icon_flower Central Ohio's HappyFrog is checking in.  :) Icon_flower

*grin*

heading out in a few minutes to shovel a bit.

i have so many things i need to add to both my blogs but i just run out of time to do everything!

i'm also working on 30 cloth diapers right now. ..

busy busy.
happyfrog

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog 3/4/2010, 9:26 am

what's your blog?
happyfrog

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 3/4/2010, 9:30 am

How kind of you to ask!

Rainsong at
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog 3/4/2010, 9:57 am

i have your blog open - interesting reading!! Smile

just shoveled off my boxes - at least as much as i could w/o damaging the stuff growing under the snow (i have carrots, kale, and garlic in the ground - and surprisingly, i think they're all alive). i'm zone 5, 5b, or 6 depending on what you read and where.

my boxes have some loose soil but also has hard clumps in it. . .hoping this weekend that it loosens up more.

i'll spend my time calling around finding out who has what materials for expanding my garden and the prices. (i want to more than double my boxes this year - but in order to do that i must also create some kind of fencing to keep my beloved little children from 'helping' when help is not needed (new boxes will be in backyard where they play). current boxes are in front yard. unorthodox maybe but they sure did work great!
happyfrog

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 3/4/2010, 10:15 am

Let me just get this out of the way.... you are way too kind about my blah blah life, but thank you anyway! I took a look at yours too. One is full of terrific ideas I want to try, the other has me smiling. Beautiful children.

It is 7 AM in Washington State as I keyboard this. The sun has come through the mist with a glow that has tinted my kitchen with a golden glow and turned the grass an unreal shade of green. I am having yogurt from a small cup this morning so that I can start a tomato in it later this afternoon.

This is the first year in a long time that I have not had frozen ground or snow to keep me out of the garden. I am trying to devise a way to keep excess rain out of the box. It is warm enough for cold weather crops to not need a full cloche. I think I have a plan.

We are in zone 7 if that means anything. My carrots have survived ground so frozen that it pushed the carrots up a bit. What gets them is the thaw. That is when they turn to mush. They stay good if I can pick them out of the frozen earth. They are so sweet when they have been frozen right in the ground. But are good for nothing but chicken feed once the ground thaws.

Hope your children keep you encouraged. When we had a regular garden we always left space in the spring for a tonka truck construction zone. We had the room for it then. I don't know what we would do with little boxes and boys. Best of luck.

Deborah ....waxing memories of days gone by.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog 3/4/2010, 11:07 am

Central Ohio's HappyFrog is checking in.  :) August10
happyfrog

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog 3/4/2010, 11:09 am

that was a pic of my kids last summer in front of their corn. Smile good corn, btw!

my oldest kid - on left, is VERY much into gardening - he takes it very seriously and just loves it - that's actually how we do much of our 'school' work - he's a hands on kind of kid.

and we fight over the weeds, *grin*
happyfrog

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 3/4/2010, 11:43 am

You fight over weeds? How fun is that. Do you fight over who gets them or what they are or other?

You home school? Yea! I am a distance learning teacher (who needs to get busy with her students) which is a hybrid of home school and day school. I did home schooled my own children and now work with other home school families.

Hangeth thou in there mom!

Deborah ....who likes sitting in front of the screen when it is yucky out, not so much when the spring breeze calls my name.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog 3/5/2010, 8:02 am

we fight over who gets to pluck the weeds out of the dirt. *grin*

i homeschool oldest kid. he's got special medical situations that warrant it - i originally wnated to homeschool all my kids but then realized that middle kid needs things i cannot offer - he's Deaf - and i feel he needs ASL immersion - not just a signing mom. . . my husband is finishing up ASL interpreter degree and will be changing careers in june 2011 so he's exposed to ASL often but not all the time - hearing conversations i don't sign with, etc. but oldest kid at least for now, i feel is best at home - unless we can get him into a charter school here - we like their curriculum they use a lot of the same stuff we do here. Smile and if he does go to the charter school, then i can more easily schedule my cancer surgery. hard to do with lots of little people around all the time.

sure did yammer on.

oh and so youngest living kid doesn't feel left out from this discussion, *grin* she colors a lot and loves using sharpies on things that ought not to be sharpied. thank goodness for kilz primer. . . and she's snuggled in my arms right now. and she's just all soft and warm and sweet. Smile
happyfrog

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 3/5/2010, 8:45 am

Before I forget ....I adore the new avatar. You all look so everyday BettyAnn but what you just shared so casually about your life has dropped my jaw to the floor. Here I was thinking that the most exciting part of your day was finding 20 cent tomatoes then you grace me with this precious post and I find out that what is true about you is that you celebrate life as it comes. How rare and wonderful is that?

I am a long-time Christian, it isn't a game to me, neither is it a social network, it is my life. I have been a believer some thirty years and have seen a lot but what I seldom see among those who sing of being "happy in Jesus" are people who "know that life is worth the living.... " the way you just did.

I KNOW that you cry your tears, but you live. And I am blessed.

Deborah ....overjoyed to keep getting to know you
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog 3/5/2010, 9:46 am

deb - glad to know you, too! Smile life is full of interesting adventures.

i posted on another post that i joined your fb page.

well, i've sat and yammered on quite long enough for one day - i need to get my laundry hung and dishes washed. the youngest kid has been happily stringing cereal on a pipe cleaner adn now she's done with that and there's lots of crumbs all around me, but it gave me lots of sitting time. oldest kid is watching a dora video - he asked me to request all of them from the library so he's been on a watching spree. . .(we don't have 'real' tv in our house - just whatever we play on the dvd or vcr.) i don't mind it's keeping his toes in one place so they can get better - he's either got frostbite on them or some kind of connective tissue disease or something? the docs are all flummoxed all i know is his right toes have been swollen and turning dark purple since about thanksgiving - but only on right foot. he's had many vials of blood taken and still nothing ruled out.

see i keep yammering on. i reallyneed to scoot. those diapers in the washer won't dry themselves. *grin*
happyfrog

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 3/5/2010, 9:56 am

Ug, diapers do dry themselves but it doesn't bring you to a happy place the way washed and hung to dry diapers do.

I just got a note from another teacher that she is too sick to go to school and needs me to sub. It is too early in the day to feel like I have to be flexible. I was looking forward to a day of being home, but I do love the school I work for. I just wish I had got up and dressed earlier so that I can get the chores done that I wanted to do....but oh-well, she would drop everything for me if I needed her to.

Praying with you for a solution and direction for those little piggy’s

Deborah ....off to pack a lunch
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog 3/5/2010, 2:18 pm

hope you had a good day at school. extra money probably will come in handy. Smile

laundry is hung. in winter i hang laundry in basement - conserves costs. . . Smile we've considered selling our dryer since we never use it, but we are planning on selling our house in a couple of years and think it might be nice for buyer if we include all appliances. ..

baby is sleeping on my lap right now. life is good. Smile
happyfrog

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down