Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
potatoes :) - Page 2 Toplef10potatoes :) - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

potatoes :) - Page 2 I22gcj10potatoes :) - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
potatoes :) - Page 2 Toplef10potatoes :) - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

potatoes :) - Page 2 I22gcj10potatoes :) - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

potatoes :)

+32
HouseofWool
larkspur
miinva
Smartchick
petals1973
valientor
gwennifer
Barkie
HieronRemade
sherryeo
Glendale-gardener
boffer
Kelejan
unmadecastle
donnainzone5
WolfHeart
shannon1
WendySue67
Furbalsmom
zingercan
Goosegirl
Nonna.PapaVino
walshevak
NHGardener
MSJ
Pam Hazelwood
oxmyx1
Old Hippie
Aub
Lavender Debs
FamilyGardening
middlemamma
36 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

potatoes :) - Page 2 Empty Re: potatoes :)

Post  zingercan 5/30/2011, 12:28 pm

wow this post is wild - i just can't wrap my head around growing potatoes in bins of some type! i'll definately be giving this a try.........way cool
zingercan
zingercan

Female Posts : 9

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 5/30/2011, 12:45 pm

@ goosegirl....they will come! Some of mine took over a month, some came ASAP. Hangeth thou in there!
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 5/30/2011, 1:01 pm

I shall give them a fortnight, then history the scoundrels shall be!

I need more room for tomato plants, so If they don't sprout soon they will be fertilizer for my 'maters!
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 5/30/2011, 1:04 pm

Goosegirl wrote:snip....I need more room for tomato plants, so If they don't sprout soon they will be fertilizer for my 'maters!

Too bad they make each other more susceptible to disease....otherwise you could plant them together.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/30/2011, 1:06 pm

Goosegirl - Can you dig one up and see if they've started? I planted grocery store potatoes, didn't see any results after maybe 3 weeks, dug them up, nothing, took them out, replaced them with seed potatoes from the feed store.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Female Posts : 2305

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 5/30/2011, 1:49 pm

I just moved the straw off one and saw a little sprout. I think by the end of the week I will have lots of sprouts poking up! It is already 74* here (it has not been that hot lately) and we are expecting a doozy of a T-Storm tonight, then highs in the 70's for the 10-day. It has not been consistently warm so I think this week just may be what my whole garden needs!
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/7/2011, 12:31 pm

how are your potatoes doing?

i think we *hilled* up ours for the last time....oh how i cant wait to dig in there and see what treasures there maybe potatoes :) - Page 2 959632

hugs
rose

one of my wine barrels
potatoes :) - Page 2 06_07_23

our garbage can potatoes
potatoes :) - Page 2 06_07_24
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 6/7/2011, 3:30 pm

FamilyGardening, it's really looking good. Hope they flower soon and your potatoes start growing.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  WendySue67 6/7/2011, 7:18 pm

Do some potatoes grow a lot slower than others? I planted yukon golds and red... the red are speedy buggers--as soon as I cover them they seem to pop right back out. The yukons are growing but SUPER slow... they are less than half the size. They are all in one big box together in the same dirt.
WendySue67

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/7/2011, 10:16 pm

yes....my garbage can potatoes grew a lot faster then the wine barrels did....they are a smaller type of white potatoe.....the wine barrels were reds and yukon golds....they came up a lot later then the others.....i want to say about a month or so.....

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  oxmyx1 6/7/2011, 11:23 pm

You guys keep talking about POTATOES, I'm going to have to bust out and inundate you with all the interesting Tater Lore I've learned for our community farm!

I'll try to control myself:

Here's why you all got potatoes that matured at different rates -

"Early potatoes are exactly what their name describes, potatoes that are picked as an early crop. Early potatoes take about 100 days to mature and are followed by second earlies and main crop, or regular crop, potatoes. Early potatoes are often not peeled because the skin is so tender and thin. Peeling them, however, creates a creamy potato that cooks quickly. Because early potatoes are so tender, they are good to use in salads and cold dishes. Regular crop potatoes may be tough when served cold or will fall apart from too much cooking to make them tender."

Red Norlands are earlies and Kennebecs (a white potato) are main crop. These are the two kinds I planted WAY WAY late... but most of them are growing!

OK, just for fun:

Potatoes are one of the most nutritious staple crops discovered by man. With milk in the diet, it can be a sustaining and healthful source of energy, vitamins, and minerals both in times of want and in times of plenty.

Potatoes were introduced to America in the 18th century. They were first planted in Idaho in 1836; the state now grows 25% of the nation’s potatoes.

Idahoan Luther Burbank developed the Russet Burbank potato in 1872, a more disease-resistant version of the Irish russet potato.

OK OK I'll STOP! I'll save some for later!

oxmyx1
oxmyx1

Female Posts : 51

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 6/8/2011, 1:55 am

Oxmyx1, very interesting. I thought potatoes have been cultivated in America for thousands of years or did you mean North America? Very Happy I love your sig quote.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 6/8/2011, 7:08 am

Oh no, oxmyx1, please keep telling us what you know about potatoes!

I had suspected the different growth rates might be attributed to early/late varieties. Because my spuds are not shooting out of the ground (altho they are sprouting finally) and they're the Burbanks.

I have always wondered how nutritious potatoes are. I know they're starchy, and that the Irish seemed to use them as a dietary staple. It's good to know they are highly nutritious, because I think they get pooh-poohed a lot. They are underrated.

If they're really that nutritious, they're going to get a bigger priority spot in my garden next year. Easy to grow, easy to store, taste good.

Looking forward to more of your potato updates!
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  WolfHeart 6/8/2011, 7:29 am

So I was going to post about this in my garden thread but this seems more appropriate.

I planted My potatoes about a month ago (Yukon gold and Red) and yesterday I started noticing that the lower leaves were turning yellow. I have been checking the plant for bugs but don't see any. I water every day once a day till water comes out the bottom of my container. I have a Layer of compost in the bottom, hilled up once with more compost a big layer of MM and a second seeding of potatoes. then hilled up again with compost.

The potatoes haven't fluoresced yet and I was wondering if there is something else I should be on the look out for. Thanks for any help.

~john
WolfHeart
WolfHeart

Male Posts : 159

http://wolfheart68.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 6/8/2011, 10:35 am

My potato plants have always started to get yellow just before the spuds are ready to harvest.

However, it sounds as if you may be watering too frequently.

I'd never thought to try growing potatoes here in Southern California until my dear deceased brother suggested that I could do so, since they don't require much water or light.

Still, it's important to water them sufficiently.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

potatoes :) - Page 2 Empty Antique potatoes

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 6/8/2011, 11:02 am

A footnote to oxmyx1’s cool reprise of potatoes in North America: The Makah Native American tribe in Washington State have been cultivating potatoes since the late 1700s. Here’s the story from Nichols Garden Nursery’s catalog:

“This heirloom potato of the Makah people in Northwest Washington came to North America directly from Peru on a Spanish ship. It may well be the only potato that didn’t have a circuitous trip from South America to Europe and eventually to North America. In the late 1700s, Spaniards sailed up the Pacific coast and built a fort in far NW Washington. Their garden included these potatoes. They soon abandoned the fort. When they departed, members of the Ozette village of the Makah tribe, came in and found the potatoes. These were nurtured, planted and harvested for over 200 years. Their local diet was quite low in carbohydrates so the potatoes were especially appreciated. These fingerlings range from 3"-7" in length. Noted for having a firm, creamy consistency and pale yellow color, the flavor and texture lend them to salads, roasting and steaming. This potato has been placed on the Slow Food Ark of Taste.”

If these Makah Ozette ‘taters mature in our garden this year—and they’re looking good at this time—I’ll share more information about them. BTW, Oxmyx1, even growing up in Idaho, I never knew the Burbank Russet was descended from an Irish Russet! Thanks for sharing. Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 6/8/2011, 11:27 am

Nonna are they sold under the name "Makah Ozette" at Nichols?

Deborah....who did not know Nichols did veggies.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  WolfHeart 6/8/2011, 11:51 am

donnainzone10 wrote:My potato plants have always started to get yellow just before the spuds are ready to harvest.

However, it sounds as if you may be watering too frequently.

I'd never thought to try growing potatoes here in Southern California until my dear deceased brother suggested that I could do so, since they don't require much water or light.

Still, it's important to water them sufficiently.

Thanks for the info...I was wondering if it might be too much water. I will let them sit for a few days and see if they can recover
WolfHeart
WolfHeart

Male Posts : 159

http://wolfheart68.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  unmadecastle 6/8/2011, 12:43 pm

Here are my potatoes. They are all in buckets. I don't know what kind they are other then red. I sent my husband to get red pontiacs in town. But they were all gone so he got these instead. I guess there was no name on them. I said well did you ask someone in the store if they could find out? potatoes :) - Page 2 601593

The first 2 buckets have been hilled once. The 3rd isn't tall enough yet.

potatoes :) - Page 2 Garden19

potatoes :) - Page 2 Garden20

potatoes :) - Page 2 Garden21
unmadecastle
unmadecastle

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 6/8/2011, 4:01 pm

L-Deb, yes, the Nichols Garden Nursery catalog lists them as Makah Ozette potatoes, but a quick delve into their on-line catalog says they're sold out for this year. Having been grown in the Northwest, and along the rain forest coast, for some 200 years, I figured they'd adapted well to our climate, hence the planting in our St. Helens, OR, garden. If you're unable to get starts, let's keep in touch and on one of my trips to Seattle area, perhaps we could meet up for a tater exchange. In fact, when I go to visit my sister in Mt. Vernon area, might even be able to meet up in your local Everett McDonald's on I-5 on my way through. Fun to try new things, isn't it? Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  oxmyx1 6/8/2011, 4:31 pm

Did someone say nutrition??????

Potatoes are one of the most versatile and widely eaten foods worldwide. They are actually considered a stem tuber—a starch rather than a vegetable.
China is now the world's largest potato-producing country, and nearly a third of the world's potatoes are harvested in China and India.
It is the world's fourth-largest food crop, following rice, wheat, and maize.

A medium-size 150 g (5.3 oz) potato with the skin provides 27 mg of vitamin C (45% of the Daily Value (DV)), 620 mg of potassium (18% of DV), 0.2 mg vitamin B6 (10% of DV) and trace amounts of thiamin, riboflavin, folate, niacin, magnesium, phosphorus, iron, and zinc. The fiber content of a potato with skin (2 g) is equivalent to that of many whole grain breads, pastas, and cereals.
In terms of nutrition, the potato is best known for its carbohydrate content (approximately 26 grams in a medium potato). The predominant form of this carbohydrate is starch. A small but significant portion of this starch is resistant to digestion by enzymes in the stomach and small intestine, and so reaches the large intestine essentially intact. This resistant starch is considered to have similar physiological effects and health benefits as fiber: It provides bulk, offers protection against colon cancer, improves glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity, lowers plasma cholesterol and triglyceride concentrations, increases satiety, and possibly even reduces fat storage. The amount of resistant starch in potatoes depends much on preparation methods. Cooking and then cooling potatoes significantly increased resistant starch. For example, cooked potato starch contains about 7% resistant starch, which increases to about 13% upon cooling. The nutrients of the potato seem to be fairly evenly distributed between the flesh and the skin.

Yep, I meant NORTH America - however...

Potatoes were first domesticated more than 6,000 years ago. The Incas cultivated numerous species of potato. The name is said to originate from the Spanish patata, a combination of batata (sweet potato) and papa (a word for potato from the Inca Quechua language).

AND!

In 1995, potato plants were taken into space with the space shuttle Columbia. This marked the first time any food was ever grown in space.
oxmyx1
oxmyx1

Female Posts : 51

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 6/8/2011, 5:05 pm

Totally wondermous, Oxmyx1, great info! BTW, this month's Costco Connection magazine has an article on potatoes, titled: Tater thoughts, tracking a lot of what you wrote. It also mentions a Women's Health Study that ultimately found that women who ate healthy portions of potatoes prepared in a healthful manner stayed healthy or even lost weight if they were dieting. The article also advocates eating more than one kind of potato to get nutritional benefits found in various types of potatoes. Guess I never thought that different varieties had different nutritional quotients, but it makes sense.
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/8/2011, 5:25 pm

tater exchange Very Happy

oh i like that idea!!

hugs
rose who is happy to see that others love potatoes as much as she Laughing
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/8/2011, 6:12 pm

I am trying to find a recent thread that has instructions for making pot bags from leftover weedcloth, but there seems to be so many entries about potatoes that I haven't found the thread yet.

Already I have been through the three recent potatoe threads but maybe the information I am seeking is buried in another topic thread?

A little help will be appreciated. Is there an easy way to find a particular topic?

Kelejan :scratch:
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 6/8/2011, 6:31 pm

Potatoes potentially help you lose weight? Yippee! Next year, no veggies, just taters.

haha

The nutrition aspect throws me off when I hear of them referred to as a starch. You always hear to cut back on starches and carbs, yet here potatoes are full of them and healthy.

They're so easy to grow, I can't believe people don't talk about them more.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next