Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 5 Toplef10Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 5 I22gcj10Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 5 Toplef10Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 5 I22gcj10Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Tomato Tuesday for the PNW

+12
camprn
tegaan
Goosegirl
gwennifer
FarmerValerie
Nonna.PapaVino
happycamper
FamilyGardening
boffer
Dr.Bigfoot
Lavender Debs
Furbalsmom
16 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 5 Empty Re: Tomato Tuesday for the PNW

Post  happycamper 8/10/2011, 3:36 am

This weeks tomato update includes two ripe yellow pear tomatoes, yay! They didn't last long and only one made it into the house with a cuke to show my daughter. This was my abused plant that was never covered, planted early, dropped and broken just before transplanting, it looks sad but it has fruit.

One of the large red cherry plants have a few that are starting to blush and it is loaded (they always seem to do well here).

I have to admit that I probably will never plant tomatoes in this particular 4'x4' again as it is overshadowed by a very old and large Douglas Fir so it was a nice surprise to see this little plant produce my first ripe tomatoes of the year.Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 5 First_10
happycamper
happycamper

Female Posts : 304

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 8/10/2011, 9:05 am

I bought these starts from the nursery, early in the season. Rather than up-potting, I 'stored' them in this covered box until the weather got nicer, when I could transplant them. Well, it took well into June to warm up, and by then I was worried about the transplant set back of digging them up. So I left them. They are the only plants that I've gotten ripe fruit from so far.

Four Black Krim tomato plants in a square.
Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 5 Dscn0813

boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  tegaan 8/10/2011, 11:35 am

Yes I live in Canada in the Okanagan. We had a slow wet start to the summer and now it is just really hot. My mix gets dry and hard on top but is moist under. I thought I was watering too much, almost everyday. Now I water 2 x a week or so. Comparing my grown from seed and planted in bagged soil to the transplants in MM....transplants are spindly and most of the flowers drop off. The others are thick stemmed and lots of big green leaves and lots of flowers...no tomatoes yet but I planted them late. They are a different tomato but they are still doing alot better than the ones in the MM. My peppers and carrots are not producing either.

kari
tegaan

Female Posts : 75

Back to top Go down

Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 5 Empty Tomato Tuesday on a Wednesday 08/10/11

Post  Furbalsmom 8/10/2011, 1:58 pm

The only tomato trying to color up is a Stupice, but my stupice plants have several tomatoes on them. The Japanese Black Trifele has some tomatoes that have grown to the size I expected, but I am still waiting for a color change. The Cherokke Purple is still growing, again, no color change.

Tomatillo branches that broke off in a windstorm here on 7/27 (three weeks ago) were finally trashed. They never grew any roots and were starting to wilt. I guess tomatillo stalks don't root as easily as tomato suckers.Sad The main tomatillo plant is still creating husks.

StupiceTomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 5 Stupic11
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 8/10/2011, 4:10 pm

Trying to post pictures of latest tomatoes. The large, lumpy one on left in front is the one we ate last night. Nonna

Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 5 16910
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 8/11/2011, 12:31 am

its so great to hear that everyone is getting some ripe tomato's cheers we have been able to eat a few too!....and there is more to come along as our weather continues to be warm Very Happy the ground cherry tomato's feel like they are getting some fruit inside now...i can feel a marble size ball in there Very Happy
i have been trying a new trick that i learned.....you can ripen a green tomato by putting it in a brown paper bag with a ripe apple.....so far its working!...i will let you know how they taste Laughing
hugs
rose....who thinks nothing is better then growing your own veggies!
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 8/17/2011, 2:05 am

the tomato's are a comin Very Happy as long as our weather continues What a Face

the three brothers from seed

Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 5 08_16_16

my babies from seed out in the three sisters garden

Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 5 08_16_19

rainbow from the school plant sale..still a tiny plant with lots of fruit Shocked

Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 5 08_16_17

store bought replacement in the SFG

Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 5 08_16_14

ground cherry tomato from the school plant sale

Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 5 08_16_15

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 8/18/2011, 2:20 pm

I know it is not Tuesday, but my Cherokee Purple is blushing Embarassed

It is a gnarley looking thing, but OMG if I can have just one tomato, this is what I am looking forward to.

Cherokee PurpleTomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 5 Cherok12

Japanese Black TrifeleTomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 5 Japane11

Ground CherriesTomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 5 Ground12

Tomatillo husks getting biggerTomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 5 Tomati14

This is a Yellow Heirloom that I purchased as an organic Trader Joes Heirloom tomato fruit last summer. I dried and saved the seeds myself, then started this plant from those seeds. Not many tomatoes, but who knows what region or climate this is best grown in. Probably not the PNW.
Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 5 Yellow10

I am having a big problem with purple veins on the back of the tomato leaves, which seems to be a nutrient deficency. I think our nights are just so cool (48 up to 52) that the tomatoes can't take up the nutrients they need. I did add a bit of diluted seaweed emulsion that has 1.5 Nitrogen, 0.5 Phosporus and 0.5 Potassium as a liquid root drench. It may not help due to the very cool evenings, but it certainly won't hurt.

Last edited by Furbalsmom on 8/18/2011, 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fumble Fingers)
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 8/23/2011, 4:25 am

well....the rain is back.....Sad boo hoo

here is a quick update:

our tiny rainbow continues to ripen Very Happy im saving seeds in hopes i can grow this again next year since it has done really well....

the three brothers from seed have some small green fruit still.... no sign of blushing

the two others from seed out in the three sisters garden have small green fruit.. no sign of blushing...our replacment from the store in our SFG has lots of fruits and some are starting to blush....so there is still a chance to be able to get some ripe fruit from him....our ground cherries are filling out but none have dropped that had ripe fruit in them yet......fingers crossed we get some more warm weather....for sure next year....i plan on planting only det-tomatoes....as they do not need as much time to produce....

hugs

rose.....wondering how everyone else is doing?
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 8/23/2011, 10:29 am

I won't have enough harvest to put up anything this year, but I'm happy to have a few red, sweet tomatoes to eat.

This Red Brandywine is almost a meal in itself.
Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 5 Dscn1010

Old Germans
Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 5 Dscn1011
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/23/2011, 10:41 am

Boffer you have better lookin' tomatoes than I do! Congrats!! Very Happy

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 5 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  tegaan 8/23/2011, 12:32 pm

I finally have some tomatoes starting. They are the ones I planted late from seed and not in MM. They are very healthy plants with lots of flowers and now fruit. The other 6 in MM have are spindlly and have a total of 5 tomatoes 3 with rot. Hoping I can fix my mix and get some tomatoes.
tegaan

Female Posts : 75

Back to top Go down

Post  happycamper 8/24/2011, 3:49 am

I was surprised at the rain last night and I seem to be having heavy cloud cover until late afternoon. I was 5:20pm before I saw actual sun and the temps have dipped into the mid forties at night a few times so I am hoping the weather will improve.

The plants are looking good (all but two in extreme shade). I am getting 8 to 12 Yellow Pears and 4-6 of the Large Red Cherries daily now.

The Oregon Springs are not as tall as the rest but I started them three weeks after all the rest. They have fruit on them but show no signs of rippening any time soon. This is the first time I have grown them so I am not sure what they are supposed to look or taste like. The Roma's seem to be right on schedule and September is usually when I see them ripen.

I found something had been having a snack a few days ago.

Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 5 Bite_m10

I am sure that it was the Americauna, she is the smallest of the birds and can squeeze under the gate to the back yard and seems to like scratching in the compost pile. Back to the tractor they went!
happycamper
happycamper

Female Posts : 304

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 8/25/2011, 6:24 pm

Cherokee Purple still not quite ready. A couple more tomatoes have a blush but seem a long way from table ready. Boo Hiss I want some tomatoes. Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 5 225728
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 8/25/2011, 6:37 pm

Just wanted to apologize for being absent recently. Had a minor incident and broke my glasses, so I am still fairly blind for another week until they get replaced.

Love seeing the tomatoes.

Boffer, your brandywine looks luscious.

HappyCamper and FamilyGardening, I had a bit of mist last night (Wed), but that is the first precipitation in about 7 weeks. We had 1.4 inches in June, 7/10's of an inch in July and no measurable precipitation this month.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 8/25/2011, 8:16 pm

Just picked 47 Sweet Pea variety of currant tomatoes for our salad tonight.

These are tiny things, but sooooooo sweet.

47 tomatoes equals 1/3 cup

Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 5 08_25_10
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 8/25/2011, 9:09 pm

HE HE HE! They're so cuuute!

...I have a thing for small adorable objects. Sorry. I know I'm not from the PNW, but I'm really curious about those tomatoes, Furbalsmom. How many plants do you have? About how many tomatoes do you get off each plant every day? I want to plant some currant tomatoes, but I've been afraid they wouldn't produce much.
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 8/26/2011, 1:59 am

47 tomatoe's affraid is 47 tomatoe's Shocked Furb!
size doesnt matter.....tongue

littlesap....we love visiters to the PNW Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 5 61949 ...join the fun!

im going to try and post a pic tomorrow if i get a chance....we were up at the childrens hospital with our five year old the last couple of days...he is doing good...so no worrying......he has on going tummy problems and he was getting some testing done....he had tummy/intestine surgery last year....we are trying to avoid surgery again....we will know more next week...he still has more testing to do...we are off camping this weekend...we need some fun!! Very Happy

well we gave our tomatoes all hair cuts....it was really hard to do....they look funny now Razz ....but you can really see the clusters of tomatoes they each are getting....i have never trim tomatoes before cyclops .....we are hoping they will do better this year then last year albino .....we also have some to harvest in the morning :drunken: ....im thinking of making a cucumber tomato salad to take camping....Very Happy

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 8/26/2011, 11:28 am

I have three sweet currant here at the house. Have to admit they are still in tiny pots and are not producing as well as they should.

I am on my way to the community garden where we have 10 in 5 gallon pots. I will report back when I see how they are progressing. The tomatoes grow in clusters on trusses, similar to a Sweet 100.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr.Bigfoot 8/27/2011, 6:15 pm

Not tuesday but I have eaten 3 of the 4 cherry tomatoes I have. So sad. My brandywine tomato plant has a few green ones on there so we'll see if it gets all the way there. My husband doesn't care for tomatoes but I was at least hoping to be munching on more by now. My brother in Hawaii thinks he's cool because he's had tomatoes for the past 9 months. Newsflash bro - you get more quality sun than I do 365 days of the year!
Dr.Bigfoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 8/27/2011, 6:40 pm

littlesapphire wrote:HE HE HE! They're so cuuute!

...I have a thing for small adorable objects. Sorry. I know I'm not from the PNW, but I'm really curious about those tomatoes, Furbalsmom. How many plants do you have? About how many tomatoes do you get off each plant every day? I want to plant some currant tomatoes, but I've been afraid they wouldn't produce much.

I have 2 plants of this type, tornadose des conones and tess's landrace currant (not sure which is which but they are 2 different leaf types). Both have given me many hundreds of delicious small toms. Love these.

A freind gave me some orange currant size toms that were incredable but did not know what kind they were. Anyone have an idea?

I am in southern California, where we are broiling today. 112 here today. But I can not really complain as for the most part it has been a mild summer, mostly undr 100.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 8/30/2011, 12:31 am

AIN'T SHE A BEAUTY!!! alrighta Red Brandywine at 2 lb. 2 oz. I had to use a bread knife to slice it!
Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 5 Dscn1013

Putting the the two Big Boys to shame...
Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 5 Dscn1014

If you can consistently grow red, ripe tomatoes every year, you probably don't appreciate a harvest like this, like we do in the PNW, where every red tomato is worth having a holiday named for it!

There's more to come despite the early blight and leaf curl.
Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 5 Dscn1110
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 8/30/2011, 12:51 am

Shocked wooooozer Boffer Shocked those look so pretty!

how are you going to eat it?...is what i want to know Laughing ....i think so far my favorite is my cucumber, olive, chive, feta cheese, tomato salad i made.....Very Happy

hugs

rose

p.s......hubby came in and i showed him your pic....he said to tell you its on tomato tuesday yet in the PNW....lol!
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  sherryeo 8/30/2011, 12:59 am

She is, indeed, a thing of beauty, Boffer! I could have sworn that you posted in the last few weeks, though, saying that you had given up on the idea of having any tomatoes this year! Maybe it was an old post I read from another year.

At any rate, I'm so glad you've had tomatoes this year! I'd rather have success with tomatoes than any other veggie - if I had to choose just one vegetable to have a bumper crop with! Congrats!
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 8/30/2011, 11:26 am

I am soooooooo jealous.

CONGRATULATIONS !

I have two tiny Black Prince to pick today, not much more than golf ball sized. What I thought was a Cherokee Purple coloring up ended up being a Red Brandywine, still not ready and nowhere near yours in size or beauty. I guess I had better start looking at the labels better. tongue

The Cherokee Purple hasn't even lightened up in color. Sad

I will have a tomato sandwich yet this year.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum